Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss microdiscectomy redo in the Main forums forums; Hi everyone I just found this site, I herniated 3 disc back in june 06 I had a fusion done ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 05:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to did-it -again
Default microdiscectomy redo

Hi everyone I just found this site, I herniated 3 disc back in june 06 I had a fusion done in my neck. Waited a few months after that to do the next surgery a "Double Microdiscectomy" at levels L4/L5 & L5/S1 with in the first 2 months the L5/S1 reherniated. My Doc wanted to take the disc out but I wanted to wait and see what would happen he said it can get better or worse. Well it got a bit better the disc slipped back in to the point where it relieved the L5 nerve and is just bulging. then about 3 months after that the
L4/L5 reherniated this time it caused a lot of problems with my left leg surgery was a must. In the beginning I was told after the first surgery on my lumbar spine I had an 8% chance for them to reherniate, well from what I've said here both reherniated. Now I was told the risk is higher and if they herniate a 3rd time I will have to have a fusion. I also have slight signs of DDD at L2/L3 and L3/L4, my recovery has been slow I still have trouble with my leg, lots of pain when I apply weight to it, the surgery was almost 3 weeks ago. I am worried about the quality of life I will have and worry about every time I move or bend if this will happen again I don't want a fusion. My Doc. also told me if I have to get a fusion he is sure I will herniate at the next level up. I haven't worked since I got hurt it's been just about 2 yrs now I miss working, it's been a hard thing to go through. Has anyone gone through this and how is it going for them I know everyone's life is different but some input may help.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum... Sorry about needing multiple surgeries already. If you need further surgeries, there may be other treatment options besides fusion... I hope that you'll do your homework and discover them all. Especially with other levels already being degenerated, multi-level fusion is less attractive an option.

good luck... please keep us posted.

All the best,

Mark

PS... I moved your post to the main forum... after a while I hope that you'll make one of the standardized posts to the outcomes forum to help others in similar situations.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-20-2008, 05:30 PM

Hi DIA and welcome to the forum,

I'm sorry your circumstances brought you hear but am glad you found us. Yours is a familiar story. I reheriated 8 years after my first surgery and 8 months later needed the third which I did not have. I started with a single level and ended up with 3. Very true about the success rates of second and so on surgeries. I'm glad your doctor is being honest with you. Many are not.

I knew a third surgery was out of the question for me and suffered until I found Mark, the founder of this forum. I then had a 3 level ADR and have my life back. Please check out his website, globalatientnetwork.com and give him a call.

You have a lot to learn but you don't have to do it alone. Ask a lot of questions until you're satisfied that you understand the answers. I wish you the best,

Dale
Old 05-25-2008, 07:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to B13s

From what I was reading - chances of re-herniation are much higher than 8% percent, actually it was something like 30%. I got second herniation at the same level a year latter and a third one - again at the same level - 1.5year latter - however both times it was really my fault - one should never forget that back after surgery is not the same as before... And three weeks after surgery is really nothing - for me it took 9 months to recover after "small simple surgery"...