Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss 5 Years Post Op! in the Main forums forums; Wow...hard to believe over 5 years have passed since my surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli - November 2003...seems like a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 03:44 AM

Default 5 Years Post Op!

Wow...hard to believe over 5 years have passed since my surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli - November 2003...seems like a lifetime ago.

My back feels so good I forget I've had surgery most all of the time (until I see the scar of course!). Even shoveling a ton of snow last month didn't hurt.

For those who know me, I quit my cop job last year, moved to northern Arizona, went back to school.....and couldn't be happier. Every now and then I miss chasing bad guys around, but get it out of my system hiking and snowshoeing around here.

Not much else to say except I'm still very happy my surgery was such a success, especially in light of all the other health crap and surgeries I've had since then.

Still eternally grateful to you Mark for all the help and support you've given me since the beginning. If I hadn't met you, I doubt I'd be here writing about how good my back feels! And PS Mark - John is back in Seattle, he started commercial flight school!

Last edited by queenofhearts; 01-25-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 AM

Doreen!!!

I've been thinking about you lately. It is so great to see you are doing well. How is your son doing? Great news about the move and change of career--I remember hearing something along those lines.

Great to see you again "Wonder Woman."
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Good news is nice

Remember reading your thread on other site. So glad to hear a good ADR story. That and seeing that Dr. B did your surgery gives me hope for complete success. I'll be patient and work hard.

God bless you and keep up the good work! Sandy

**p.s. my reading habits consist of cop stories, chasing serial killers, etc., war stories, etc., etc. My way of escaping and being excited! A stretch from a boring school teacher, maybe a cop in my previous life?
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 PM

Default Hey there Queen o' Hearts

So good to hear from you and glad you're doing so spinally well.... shoveling snow~ yep that's good for the old spine
Old 01-27-2009, 03:58 PM

I am not familiar with your story, but very happy to hear such a wonderful outcome.

What levels did you have done?

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 AM

Hi everyone!

Cathy - I had L4/5-L5/S1 replaced. L5/S1 was pretty much bone on bone, and L4/5 wasn't a whole lot better. I originally planned to have 3 levels replaced (L3/4 - L5/S1), but Dr. Bertagnoli thought that L3/4 would take care of itself if the levels below were replaced (and he was right!).

Justin - I sent you a message....

Maria! Its been a long time...I'm going to try and make the next 'gathering' if I can - hopefully I'll see there...Its not too far of a drive and I would enjoy being warm for once (its about 5 degrees right now!)

Sandy - sometimes being a vicarious cop is better - no politics involved!

To anyone else reading - those waiting and those on the fence about ADR surgery, Mark will be the first one to tell you that when I was still in Germany, I thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my life. Now I know it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

While my surgery has been such a success, I feel bad for everyone who isn't doing so well post-op and wish you all the best. I don't post much about my good fortune....makes me feel bad for those who are still hurting.

Last edited by queenofhearts; 01-28-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: whoops....
Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 PM

queenofhearts,

We need to hear of the success stories with ADR, especially the multiple ones. How long did your recovery take? Were you singing praises within a year? Or two? Just curious. Do you mind me asking how old you are, or were, when you had your surgery? Age seems to be so important too. Thank-you for dropping in and offering such great news!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofhearts at 18 months post-op
Okay - it'll be 18 months on May 25th, but I don't think much will change in the next couple of days.

I'm still back at work on patrol (tons of overtime) and working out in the gym at least 5 days a week - weights and cardio (incline treadmill). Getting back into hiking and climbing now that the weather here is cooperating and am still planning on climbing Mt. Rainier in late summer if possible. I'm horseback riding as much as possible (4-5 x a month) and bike riding when the weather permits. A couple of us at work will be riding bikes to work instead of driving - 11 miles roundtrip, now that its light enough in the morning when my shift ends. And all with zero back pain.

My C-spine is holding up well since surgery in January, but I'm still working on getting the left bicep reflex to fully cooperate - having a personal trainer in the gym has helped a ton. I also had a ovarian tumor removed last Thursday, but am recovering okay from that (now that I know its benign anyway).

So....after all the spine, heart and abdominal surgeries, I can still say I'm a complete success in more ways than one. I'm still amazed that I can do just about anything I want - but I still think about my spine and try and stick with proper body mechanics. The only thing that's given me any twinges of pain was trying to rock a heavy vending machine at work when it wouldn't give me my stupid candy bar! To avoid that in the future, I gave up candy bars....live and learn!
I posted this to remind Doreen that it was not all sunshine and roses:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal
For those of you who are dealing with surgery-induced hip pain... or are a few weeks post-op and are scared about how they feel... here is a quick stroll down memory lane for Doreen...
Quote:
12/06/03 Mark, this is the stupidest thing I ever did... the hip pain is so much worse than my pre-op pain. I hope this wasn't a huge mistake!
Quote:
12/18/2003 Oh, and the hip pain is back tonite. Merry fucking Christmas!"
Quote:
12/25/2003 Just thought I'd give you a quick update on my recovery - today was my second day with NO pain meds. That's right, you heard me, NO pain meds. I still have pain meds, but don't need them, at least for right now.
I have a little discomfort lingering in my left hip (ice takes care of that), but no major pains anywhere. The biggest thing I notice is it feels like both hamstrings down the backs of my legs are really tight, but stretching two or three times a day helps that, along with walking. I'm also sleeping all nigh longt. The only time I woke up the last three nights was because I was coughing - I took some cough syrup and back to sleep I went.

I still feel tired - like I don't have as much energy, but that's probably from my cold. Pretty cool for only 30 days post-op, huh!?!?! I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts - who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Quote:
1/25/2004 Okay - you gotta promise you won't yell at me or shake your head in disgust!......

I mowed my lawn today (just the front). It didn't hurt one bit, and even now, two hours later, I'm still feeling fine. I did wear my back brace however.

I'm dropping off my bike tomorrow for a tune-up - I think I'm ready for a bit more than just walking and stretching.
I'm on my way to having a normal life again.....unbelievable!
Live well my friend!

Love,

Mark
A few days after the 1/25 email, we spoke and she confessed that she'd ridden 10 miles and... now don't be mad.... I'm going horseback riding with my friends next week.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 PM

I was 41 when I had surgery. My spine doc back home cleared me to go back to work a little over 3 months post-op, but I had to wait about another 4 months due to some other unrelated health problems.

I was pretty much fully recovered by 6 months. Had some minor twinges of pain in my hip and tight hamstrings up to that point, but nothing that stretching didn't take care of. I'm still not sure if my recovery was an exception or not, but I still think if I didn't have such an experienced surgeon, the outcome might have been a lot different.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Sorry for telling your story Doreen, but there is sooooo much here.

Doreen went to Germany for a 3-level, but came back with only 2. I had worked with her for months and had begun to wonder if she'd ever get there. I was still scared to death of 3-level surgeries and truly wondered if she'd ever return to police work.

One of the coolest things about Doreen's experience was about the community we had created. Her surgery was originally scheduled for months earlier. Someone she'd NEVER MET except as part of this internet spine community, knew she was going alone for her surgery. He scheduled a trip to Straubing with his wife to meet Bertagnoli, specifically to be there for Doreen's surgery, so he and his wife could take care of her. I was completely blown away. Unfortunately, other issues got in the way and Doreen's surgery was rescheduled.

Just in case y'all don't already know... Doreen is in white... she's the one skiing over the tails of my skis here... on the Tahoe trip...

GPN Events page
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Maybe I have a selective memory, but I distinctly remember your skis being in the way!

Yes....there's a lot I've forgotten, or maybe wanted to forget, but you are right Mark...if it wasn't for this community, I never would have gotten there and wouldn't be where I am today. I can't even think of words to express how grateful I am.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Dear "Queen...

I'm soooo jealous. Not only a lady cop, but a skier.

I'm hoping a really old lady will get back in shape and be relatively pain free soon - 10 mos. post-op. I'll give myself another year, if, and that's a big IF , cause I'm not a patient soul.

Haven't been on skis for a long time, never was brave enough to get much further than the bunny hill . My excuse, there was always a first time skier with us, and I'm a good teacher of the snowplow and stem christies sp? - probably not the correct terminology for today.

But oooh I sure would like to try the bunny hills again, especially in real ski country. Slopes here in Ohio are usually more ice than snow!

Well, if not skiing, I'll be back on the waverunner and snowmobile, using common sense for someone approaching 70!!!!

And PLEASE, keep sharing your story. I read all the horrible posts and am so sad. Hearing a good one, makes all our days brighter - and .
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 PM

Thumbs up it just keeps getting better and better

Wow, i am so happy for you and i have to comment i know what you mean
this is a whole new life for me too as a few months ago i joined a bowling league, who would have ever thought i'd be bowling again after a 30year
absence, sounds like you are also on the fast track, keep it up, 6yrs and counting here, love these success stories........
nomorepain
After a botched spinal tap where my L4/L5 disc exploded i underwent a laminectomy in 1979, and ran from spinal surgery ever since, then in 2002 i met DrDelamarter in Santa Monica- and my life as i knew it changed dramatically, I consider myself the "ProdiscPosterBoy" I am in the US Trials and one of the first in California to recieve 2 Lumbar Prodiscs, nomorepain-nomoremeds
Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 PM

Sandy - I look back over the last 5 years and sometimes think I was a little crazy at times going back to police work, but it all worked out. Everyone else thought I was nuts for doing stuff like horseback riding...go figure.

It was a long road getting to Germany and Dr. B....and its been easy to forget how agonizing the decisions were, the setbacks that happened before getting there, and all the other health problems I had afterwards (I had heart surgery 3 months after getting home). But I'm glad I did it. Never give up hope.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Hey Doreen,

I did get your PM. Sorry, I've been busy the last two days: I was updating my Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:12 AM

From Merry f--- Christmas to showing us all that you can have it all again. I suspect your attitude had a hand in your recovery but regardless, what a wonderful life

Dale
Old 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Hi Doreen

Hope you dont mind me asking but what happened with you C spine? You have been through so much its amazing and really fantastic that your lumbar issues are a thing of the past marion
Diagnosed mild disc dehydration L4/5L5S1 and facet dengeneration L5S1 Facet Cyst L5S1 ADR Active C C5/6C6/7 Sept 08 reduction in pain gradually by 50-60% Buttock and heel pain remain . Meds Pregablin, Tramadol, Co Codymol, Voltarol
Retunred to work Jan 09
Old 01-29-2009, 03:38 PM

Thumbs up Skiing

Hi Doreen

Just a quick question, are you still skiing if so how many days a season and how aggressive can you be??

Thanks
Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1