Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss HELP: Desperately Need a Maverick ADR Removed in the Main forums forums; Hi, I have had a Maverick ADR put in at L3/4 that was placed way to far off centre ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Default HELP: Desperately Need a Maverick ADR Removed

Hi,
I have had a Maverick ADR put in at L3/4 that was placed way to far off centre to the left. It has caused my spine to curve which is getting worse quickly. After my last Xray when my surgeon saw it he insisted that I have a Posterior fusion and leave the disc in place ASAP. He even said that he doesnt think it will help with the pain but didnt want to remove the disc as he was concerned with the risks. I saw him again last week after I had a new MRI Scan and he agreed to remove the disc if the posterior fusion doesnt help. I dont know if that is even possible after a posterior fusion. The disc was put in mid november 2008. I have yet to find a doctor in Australia that is prepared to remove the disc as they prefer to just fuse at the rear and leave the disc alone. I have read most of the papers regarding the revision operations and they mostly recommend removal of the disc for the best result and not many say a good result is achieved from a PLIF. I am only 33 yrs old, have suffered in pain for over 12 yrs and dont really want to be in pain for the rest of my life. I am needing huge doses of medications which barely take the edge off the pain. If anyone has any advice regarding what is the best approach to take that would be appreciated, especially from anyone that has had a revision operation. Your advice is appreciated.

Mark
July 2009 ADR successfully removed laterally by Dr Luiz Pimenta in Brasil with XLIF and perc. PLIF

NO LONGER POSTING HERE
Old 05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Mark, I hope that since your surgery was 2008 that you have the a-mav... the version with the shorter keel. I have many clients with ADR revisions... not only with different ADR types, but different revision types. I've seen both successful and unsuccessful revisions in many different combinations.

The Maverick presents special issues in revision as compared to the devices with the poly core. The poly core can be removed independently, providing a great deal of extra room to remove the plates separately. You only need enough distraction to clear one keel if you wish to remove it via an oblique or lateral approach. Getting enough room to take it straight out the front requires substantial remobilization of the great vessels... hence all the discussion about risks involved in ADR revisions.

All the papers about ADR revisions are interesting, but with such varied success, both with removal of the prosthesis and revision leaving the prosthesis as an interbody spacer... I'd consider each case to be unique.

Please take everything I say with a HUGE grain of salt... while I've observed hundreds of ADR surgeries including more than a dozen revisions, I am not a doctor.

Good luck... please keep us posted on your research and progress. All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-10-2009, 09:57 PM

Mark,

Welcome to the forum. Your situation sounds difficult. Revision without removal won't alleviate your pain? Did I read that correctly? I don't care what your age, living the rest of your life in pain doesn't sound acceptable.

Are you able to travel for this surgery or are you limited re financial issues, etc. Dr. Regan in Los Angeles has done revision surgeries and or course, there's Dr. B in Germany. You can have an internet consult with both going through GPN, ( the Mark above) globalpatientnetwork.com

Good luck to you, Dale
Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 AM

Exclamation

Mark,

I am sorry you are in so much pain.
I know in an earlier post I asked if you have seen Matthew Scott-Young, the Australian doctor that does ADRs? I believe he is in Queensland? I do not know if he does revisions but he does seem to be one of the top docs and he is in your country.

I read up a little bit on revisions when Phylly was going to get one done and I sent her a paper on revisions that you can probably get from her.
Like the other Mark said, from what I have read Maverick revisions which involve taking out the disc are more complicated than a ProDisc or Charite revision.

Personally, I would not take the chance of having my disc taken out. I would do the posterior fusion. I am a nurse and I think the risks are too high.
But that is me.
I wholeheartedly supported Phylly when she decided to have her ProDiscs taken out and to have fusion after. She has been through it, so if I was you I might contact her if you haven't already.

That's all I know. I feel for you because you already went through a major surgery and now are facing more.
It shows that no surgery is a guarantee of relieving your pain and every surgery is a risk.
I will be praying for you and I hope all goes well.

Runner
Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 AM

Hi Mark,

My heart goes out to you. I live in Melbourne and would like to have ADR in Germany. My concern is that if it doesnt go as planned there are very few experienced ADR surgeons in Australia to do a revision. So I would probably have to go back to Germany.
We are really behind the eight ball here down under and it is very frustrating that we are so conservative with our medical care.So that surgeons arent given the chance to really develop their skills in thes new technologies. Personally if I had the money I would go to Germany or USA for revision surgery or bar that have posterior fusion by a good surgeon here.
Can i ask who did your surgery? And do you know how many they have put in?
I think if they cant remove them they shouldnt be implanting them.
I really feel for you and hope you find a solution soon.
Michelle.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:08 AM

Mark,

Not to confuse you, but I realized that I was seeing you on that other forum. i hope MSY, if he can help you, does.
Yes, I agree with you getting and finding the best surgeon for you is what is really important.
I hope people on this forum can help you.
I will keep praying for you.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Default Hi MM

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply, I have the A-mav disc thankfully but have not had the patch put between the great vessels. Its such a hard decision. My biggest concern is whether the disc could be removed after a Posterior fusion is done as obviously the safest way would be best but not at the expense of loosing available options. Hope your necks going well.

Thanks for the advice

Mark

Ive attached a pic scan of my back 4 days post ADR and at the end of march 2009.
Attached Files
File Type: zip scanned Xray 26-03-09 (3)doc.zip (23.6 KB, 58 views)
July 2009 ADR successfully removed laterally by Dr Luiz Pimenta in Brasil with XLIF and perc. PLIF

NO LONGER POSTING HERE