Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss 2 weeks post op 2 level fusion in the Main forums forums; Hi everyone, Just checking in. Had my fusion two weeks ago today. Can't believe it's behind me now. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 PM

Default 2 weeks post op 2 level fusion

Hi everyone,

Just checking in. Had my fusion two weeks ago today. Can't believe it's behind me now. So much anxiety went into the waiting, years of appointments, blah blah.

Surgery went well. They went in from front and back due to bone density and used hardware. The pain has been mostly surgical and certainly bearable.

I Do not feel any nerve pain or anything near what I did before with the chemically sensitive disc problem I had. The difference between what I was and how I feel now is so worth it. I was never looking to be out of pain. Just the excruciating nerve pain that took most forms of hope out of my life. I've had some weird cramping in one of my calves but that seems to be diminishing.

If I make a wrong move, boy do I pay for it. I'm walking up to 1/2 hour a day (skip a few days here and there). The hospital stay was kind of a blur. I went in two weeks ago Wed. and left Sunday. I've been at my friends where they have lovingly taken care of me, fed me and been the most amazing people as always. I am blessed. Got rid of the walker, use the cane for stability.

I know I've got a long road ahead of me. What my pain future will be who knows but I felt like having that L5 disc in there was akin to having Satin taking over my body. I'd say I'm in more discomfort than pain. Walking helps it a lot. The doctor said I'd probably see a big shift after the one month mark in terms of surgical pain.

I'm now surprised I put off surgery so long. Fourteen years of that chemically sensitive disc and all the hell that went with it. You all know what I mean I'm sure. But I have hope today and that's a lot.

I'll update more as go along. Thanks everyone for their support. Wishing all less pain today.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 AM

Great to hear. It's been a long time coming and all who have good outcomes wonder why they waited so long. It's the fear of a not so good outcome, of making too hasty a decision, that keeps us from moving forward. But that's behind you now and all that's left is getting back on your feet.

Yes, friends make a huge difference in our lives.

My best to you, Dale
Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 AM

Great news, indeed! Wishing you a continued smooth recovery with the pain becoming a more and more distant memory.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 AM

I am so, so pleased that the outcome is so successful. You are so right about the waiting game, and I wish I had some choice in mine, but that doesn't matter right now. This is your time to shine, my friend!

I know you are smart enough to take things easy and let your body tell you when to progress and when to stay put. As we've discussed, sleep is the greatest healer, and your body's way to making you slow down and recover from this huge shock. Let it do it's job

Hugs and best wishes.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 PM

Congratulations on making it thru your surgery. I'm happy to see your upbeat and doing much better. Take it slow and I wish you the best.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:29 PM

Default Happy for You!

What GREAT news! So glad you're progressing well and having less pain and esp. feel the surgery was worth doing! Right on!!! (to coin an old saying of my era)!

Well, ya give me hope since I'm an old dinosaur doing the *wait and see* thing.. I like hearing about successful fusions as that will probably be my future if there's any surgery I'll be able to do.

Wishing you the best with your continued progressive recovery and thanks for posting the good news
Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 AM

Default 2 weeks counting

Thank you everyone. I am kind of amazed at how tired I still feel. They want me to walk a minimum of 15 minutes a day. Usually I can do more but afterwards I feel like I ran a full marathon.

I always wondered what the heck it felt like after a spinal fusion. For me, it's felt like someone pulled my legs out of the sockets. That probably sounds disgusting but to people who know pain, I know it won't make you flinch. That's what it feels like for me. I can't believe people take care of themselves after a week.

It's interesting...at this point, I really have no idea what my future life will be like, but I dream of doing things outdoors that I've missed doing since my accident. It's hard to know how much to push. I'm not pushing very much. I've had a break in pain today. It's gone down to about a level two or so which is a nice break. Hugs to all.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:42 PM

Congratulations. I also had a two level fusion and each month that goes by makes you stronger. Napping is necessary and make sure that you pace yourself in the beginning. It is often hard to do when you feel okay but overdoing it will get you. Again congratulations with your recovery.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 11-04-2009, 05:49 PM

Default little bit past

4 week mark now and I'm wondering how're you're progressing? Still feeling super tired?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 AM

Default 2 months post op

I haven't been on in awhie. It's now two months post op and I'm feeling quite good. It seems every two weeks things change. I feel like my surgical pain is really diminishing. I am now walking up to and hour and a half and yes I'm exhausted afterward.

For the first time in 14 years I can sleep on my side. The problem of the chemically sensitive disc and the terrible nerve pain is completelly gone. I'd say my pain for the last three weeks has not gone above 4 or 5 at it's worst. The big thing is when I overdo (not that I'm doing much of that) I'm not knocked in bed for weeks. I lost quit a bit of weight after surgery at first but then felt I needed to eat more for recovery. Now I feel like I need to lose some again.

I'm finally allowing myself to dream a little and have some hope for the future. I didn't think I'd be doing this well with so little time but also I have to remind myself that I could mess it all up if I'm not careful.

I'm feeling a little lost as to what my new life might be and not sure when to believe this thing may have actually worked. After so much pain and disappointment it's hard to let myself dream but it do it here and there.

For anyone else who has what I did...the chemically sensitive disc, I would really give them thumbs up on doing the surgery I waited over 13 years to do. My first doctor follow up showed I was fusing fine. I'll write more as I go on this journey.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:47 AM

To dream of a future is a gift on to itself. As for what to do with your future, it'll all fall into place as time becomes your friend. Enjoy your new found freedom. Don't have to remind you to keep it slow, you already know that.

What a wonderful new year to have to look forward to!

Dale
Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Default Great news

I'm glad that you'e feeling better and are active. I've been putting surgery off for 7 years. This must be a relief and I hope a *cure* for your spinal pain, etc.
My best, ans
Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Default Ouch!!!!

Well so much for that! Last three weeks have been really rough. I guess I"m finding out I have a lot of limitations. I feel like I either overdo or underdo. I just can't win. So now I'm really taking it easy but still doing my 1/2 hour walk as the doctor told me to.

This is so slow and I'm getting a little discouraged (little lol). I hope this gets better!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-28-2009, 09:54 AM

Default Still early

I'm sorry to hear it's been ouchy tho it sounds like it's been a rather normal fusion recovery to date so far. Hope eventually you reach that even keel feeling tho it's still early on. Just take your time and recover well. To each his/her own seems to fit here.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jamie5136

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylly View Post
Congratulations. I also had a two level fusion and each month that goes by makes you stronger. Napping is necessary and make sure that you pace yourself in the beginning. It is often hard to do when you feel okay but overdoing it will get you. Again congratulations with your recovery.
Phylly
Phylly, who was your surgeon. I am sure you have told me... I have heard such nightmare stories... well, just one from a woman who had one level out, and it doing badly, so I want to avoid inexperienced surgeons.