Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Hiking again in the Main forums forums; I'm a little over six months post op two level fusion, front and back with hardware. I can't ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 08:52 AM

Default Hiking again

I'm a little over six months post op two level fusion, front and back with hardware.

I can't believe about a month ago I went to Yosemite and hiked (slowwwwly) to my favorite falls; Vernal falls. The recovery from the hike was not bad at all. To be able to do something I thought I would never do again blew my mind. A few weeks later, I did another hike and did a lot of uphill.

Two weeks ago, I got lost up on a nearby mountain but believe it or not did four hours. I have been paying for that. I never ever thought I would do anything like this again. I still have pain, but nothing like before.

Before this, I had a really rough patch and looking back on it I had a tremendous amount of stress in my life so I really get now how much this effects my pain level. I've been volunteering at a mini horse farm (hey they are smaller) which has given me back some confidence being around larger animals.

Anyway, there isn't a day I regret my fusion. That's not to say I don't have days of agony but they come and go much quicker and usually I can avoid them. I just wanted to share this. The doc said he didn't want to xray me until 9 months as this is when he'd see if I was pretty much fused. Best wishes to everyone.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:55 AM

Are you fused? The "Mom" in me asks. Caution.

This is fantastic!! I'm so happy for you - nothing beats Nature, being there, seeing for miles. I love this place. Drooling..

Blessings/chow.

ans
Old 07-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Default hiking

OMG! Now maybe ans and I will have our fusions!!
I'm so happy to hear you've been able to hike again and for such good amounts of time! The working on the small horse farm probably is really making you feel even better!

Congrats on your success to date and best wishes for continued progress!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:27 PM

This deserves three thumbs up but alas, I only have 2

Wish I was doing as well as you!!!! Life can be good again, enjoy.

Dale
Old 07-03-2010, 08:11 PM

So encouraged to hear about the hiking!

I have been told I could be good to XC ski this winter, I am very hopeful!!

Congrats, great to hear you are feeling so positive!

C4/5, 5/6. 6/7 degenerative cervical spine disease with stenosis, severe cord compression with atrophy
presented suddenly
Post Op for Anterior corpectomy and fusion of C5-7 with PEEK cage, discectomy and fusion C4-5 with PEEK cage and anterior titanium plate June '10
Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Default Doc said...

The doctor said I was good to go with hiking. As for complete fusion I believe that takes approx nine months. Someone please clarify. I am about 6 months. I've had lots of ups and downs and some pretty down days so in no way do I want to appear it's all been uphill, but when it happens, it is cool. Actually he doesn't want to xray until nine months as he said it needed this time.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 AM

Default ps

I LOVE MY DOCTOR.....and he's from Kaiser! Never thought I would ever say that!!! Dr.Ravi Baines, Oakland, CA. He is warm, caring, head of the spine dept and was confident he could help me. I always liked what Dr. Zeegers said "I can't give you a new back, but I can give you a new life". Someone correct me if I have written this wrong. I'll never ever be who or what I was before, but that's ok if I can have moments.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:33 PM

Default Sounds encouraging!

Glad to hear the news!

My understanding is that fusions occur within 3-6 months. At the very beginning of my surgery discussion, I was told I could get back to outdoor activities this winter, but I allow my NS to reserve clearance until he sees the Xrays!

I am sure if your doc was comfortable, he must be confident it's safe!

Please tell about all the hiking, etc, so i can live vicariously this summer!

Best wishes!

C4/5, 5/6. 6/7 degenerative cervical spine disease with stenosis, severe cord compression with atrophy
presented suddenly
Post Op for Anterior corpectomy and fusion of C5-7 with PEEK cage, discectomy and fusion C4-5 with PEEK cage and anterior titanium plate June '10
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM

Default 9 month xrays check up

Well, I did my nine month xrays and it shows I am fused. I am backing off from some of the more intense stuff I was doing. I can really stay out of pain if I don't do massive cleaning which is totally not worth it. My weight has gone down too from just moving around more.

I am down from over 8 norco a day to about two. Sometimes I take a muscle relaxant and then I have a few days a month I just blow it and have to take it easy but that's pretty darn different from spending half my life in bed hiding from the world. Every day is a gift. One that I know can change at any time so I'm more respectful of what I have now. I cannot believe I suffered the way I did for over a decade. I'll be flying a lot more in the next upcoming months so that's a bit of a test. I still use tons of cusions wherever I drive or sit. Why not I figure. Makes me more comfortible. I just don't care what others think.

I'm starting to work again going from total disability to work is a challenge. I lost so many years. Enjoying all I am doing. So so glad I did this fusion, both front and back. Almost at the five year cancer remission so feeling pretty happy.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM

Default great news!

Sounds like you hit the jackpot on surgical decision, surgery/recovery (compliments of your surgeon's skill and your body's compliance)!

Great news about returning to work. I wish I could do that however even if my back could tolerate it my feet couldn't at least not what I used to do. I'd need a very flexible schedule as in "when I can show up!"

As glad as you are that you had your fusion surgery I'm glad that I didn't have any further surgery and my body has done as well as it has on it's own.
Altho like you stated each day is a gift and I don't have expectations that things will stay as they are tho just enjoy that for now "it is what it is" with my back.

I had been using Forteo for months but I've been non compliant with treatment and gone off it because the smell of the medicine really got to me like a weird plastic odor. I know this is a stupid reason and I'll start it again tho I'm sure I've not done myself any favors with this.

Did you take use Forteo or other to build up your BMD again?

Thanks for posting and updating us with your continued recovery and so glad to hear it's going so well
Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 PM

D,

After all you've been through, it's truly a pleasure to read that you're doing great. Coming back to life is a slow process and you're finding your own way.

Keep up the good work and let your body be your guide, which is as it appears.

Congrats, Dale