Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Muscle Twitches After Back Surgery in the Main forums forums; Hi, I'm a 73 year old male who had lower back surgery March 4, 2010. The surgery was to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 PM

Default Muscle Twitches After Back Surgery

Hi, I'm a 73 year old male who had lower back surgery March 4, 2010.
The surgery was to correct severe stenosis, sciatica, and a bulging disc. Two rods held by four screws were put in place. I don't have the surgeons report with me so I don't remember the specific vertebrae, it was in the L3 to L5 area. I had severe leg pain, leg weakness and some loss of leg control prior to surgery. I had no back pain. This is my second back surgery in the same area. My concern now is that I have developed muscle twitches in both legs, thighs and calfs, in the past two weeks and still have the weakness in both legs. I am very worried about ALS. But I'm also wondering whether the twitches are a side effect of the surgery. I did not expect the degree of weakness that I have this far out from the surgery. I appreciate any input and opinions.

Edit: I would add that the initial injury of unknown cause happened four years prior to surgery and left my right thigh in severe pain for 6 or 7 months. It also caused my thigh to atrophy to the point that the muscle just hung down in bags. I could not flex my thigh for about a year and a half. Since that time I have been extremely inactive including being bed ridden for the first 5 months after the initial injury.

Last edited by archie; 07-11-2010 at 08:54 PM.