Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Spasms, sciatica etc after fusion in the Main forums forums; Hi, i posted awhile ago about my new problems after my fusion but the thread kinda went all over the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 PM

Default Spasms, sciatica etc after fusion

Hi, i posted awhile ago about my new problems after my fusion but the thread kinda went all over the place so thought id try reposting problem. sciatica and nerve pain have become unbearable. 60 spasms per minute...crazy making. Been on muscle relaxants, nerve medication with no help. Finally went back to surgeon yesterday and we will do new mri's with contrast and other scans. Dr. Says the follow up pt they gave me was not appropriate as they put me in a class with people who didnt have any major problems and had me doing things i shouldnt have done.

Id say 3-4 days out of the week im flat on my back...i never know how the day will turn out so cant make plans. Its like when i was first injured but with a whole new set of issues. Oddly, the fusion site does not cause me pain. It sounds strange but I hope he sees something cause right now I feel like Im losing it trying to explain to some of my regular docs what is going on.

Ill keep posting as I get test results. It is possible I may have to have another surgery. More later, but it has become unbearable for now. No medication or amount helps.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Default re sciatica and nerve pain

Driobits
I'm really sorry to hear you're having these new/additional probs of this magnitude. I'm sure it's driving you nutz. Re the PT .. argghhh...

Hope you will get some answers post diagnostics. Thanks for updating.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Haven't you already been through enough? You must instruct your body to behave -

Seriously, I'm so sorry. You put so much hope into this surgery. Please keep us advised as per new films.

Would I sound like a broken record is I recommend acupuncture? I took care of most of my pain. As for muscle spasms. I still get them everyday, not 60 per minute and mostly in my toes but I can usually calm them instantly.

Just for the sake of brevity - I want to know why I (we) get stand-up and walk it off spasms during sex? Is this age related? Our discussions have gone from ooohs and ahhhs to ouches and owes and more! Sucks (no pun intended).

I don't know why but this morning I woke up with more severe pain than usual. I started laughing because I have things I must do today as I have out of town company and she is gone for the day. Laughing doesn't help the pain but does improve my angst. I more than understand how living with pain after hoping to be rid of it brings to down to despair. I know, I've been in that hole. Try getting on a joke site on the web or reread some of our jokes. Try laughing - it does help. If nothing else, it makes you forget the pain for just a few moments. Though my back tries to tell me no - I actually feel better for waking up and laughing.

Another thing. - you also might try meditating or deep relaxation. It might give your muscles a chance to calm down and also takes you to a place you're happy and comfortable.

And lastly, I find laying flat to be very taxing on my back and actually causes pain. You might want to try a zero gravity position to see if that helps.

I do hope your tests reveal nothing is wrong. Another surgery seems too much to ask of you. Enough already. You are in my thoughts.

Dale
Old 08-23-2011, 05:45 AM

Default MRI's

Well This Friday I am set for an hour long MRI and then on the following Monday another one that's 45 minutes. Also he's having me take some blood tests. I just hope I don't spasm while I'm in the MRI machine as that will make it impossible to be still. I just want to know what the heck it is!

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:22 PM

All you want is a proper diagnosis. Is that really too much to ask? Apparantly spinal medical science still has a way to go. I know it doesn't help you now and several others, including Mark are in the same boat but someday I hope they'll say, 'Did you know that they actually used to take out your disc and replace it with either bone to make it stiff or metal to mimic real movement. Can you imagine what those poor people had to go through?'

Wishful thinking!

Let us know if these MRIs show anything - if you can lie still long enough.

Dale
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 PM

Default re spasming

I don't know if you move your legs or jolt when you have spasms tho am wondering is there any medication that you can take once there while "resting" during MRI that would help to lessen the spasms should they occur?

Putting the pillow under my knees usually helped w/my lower back spasms to some degree ~ an injection of Toradol 60mg IM really helps greatly tho I do try to minimize the number I get/year now to about 3 or so (as I use it when have severe cervical spine spasms as well as lumbar).

Good luck and hope you soon have an answer or at least further direction leading to an answer/treatment.