Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Insurance Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Insurance Issues Discuss Kaiser? in the Main forums forums; Feh! I may have to change to 'em from necessity. Anyone know of any good spine surgeons in Southern CA? ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 10:30 PM

Default Kaiser?

Feh! I may have to change to 'em from necessity.

Anyone know of any good spine surgeons in Southern CA? I know from another forum they do ADRs (sometimes) but I have no idea if I'd be the "3rd patient" human experimental subject.

Be well people. - Allan
Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 AM

any good Kaiser surgeons or any good regular run-of-the-mill type surgeons?
Old 05-26-2009, 03:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jessica Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
Default How would you respond to being the 1st?

Hello Allan,
I thought you would get some enjoyment from this :0

My No. Cal Kaiser surgeon offered to do my 2nd ADR as his 1st ADR surgery! Wow! I was in shock! I thought maybe he had not done many.... but zero? And then for my 2nd ADR at an adjacent level? Is he insane? Maybe not insane but at the very least overconfident. He said he would call the manufacturer, get the instrumentation figured out, and do my surgery. He did not say that he would have someone with experience in ADR join him or anything.

Needless to say, I respectfully declined. I will spend 30k before I be someones 1st case on my 2nd level. My hat is off to all those who may have gone 1st.
Multiple ministrokes 2009 prevents ADR surgery
As of 10/2010 no relief on radicular C7
Trying to arrange C6/C7 prodisc
FDA has not approved for 2nd Levels on cervical.
Headed to Germany as soon as I am cleared for surgery.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:10 PM

Jessica ..... Good call on your part

I don't know if I am any worse off up here where we only have the government system. At least you have the option of moving around a bit.......
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:27 PM

What does it say about our health care syster when Kaiser used to be considered a joke and is now considered one of the best HMO's available?

From the stories I still hear, they are still Kaiser but the other stories are so much worse.

Even if you find a good doctor, getting your ins co to pay is another story

Ouch, all the way around.(for lack of a better word)
Old 05-29-2009, 11:24 PM

Default Kaiser

I have Kaiser no. CA also. I have an appt. to see the surgeon in a week. I knew they were kinda inexperienced but this is crazy!!! I have two other appts. with non Kaiser docs and think that is the way I will go. How I'll scrape up the money I have no idea how but I've got to do this.

Also fyi...do you have a copy of your contract? This may be helpful for you in regards to the future and knowing exactly how they will cover you after surgery if you do go out. At first when I asked them people said they would not cover me, then I got a different answer. My question now is...when after outside surgery are they willing to start coverage? I.E. what happens if I have an emergency from surgery while I'm out of state and have five extra days in the hospital as a result. Who covers this.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.