Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss **NEW** MRI Question in the Main forums forums; Hi there, I am new to this whole "back pain" world!! I am happy to have found this ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 PM

Default **NEW** MRI Question

Hi there,

I am new to this whole "back pain" world!! I am happy to have found this site especially today!!

I just got home from an MRI appointment. I hurt my back in January after falling on ice. I don't know how people do this EVERYDAY!!! I can't STAND the pain that I am feeling, it KILLS!!

Anyways, I just have one simple question....

Is it normal for me to be in SO MUCH PAIN after an MRI? I understand the pain I had during the MRI and having to lay there for 30 minutes and not being allowed to move, BUT OMG!!! I am in SERIOUS UNRELENTING pain at the moment, any movement catches me and sends a shock through my low back and down my left leg. I think I am almost worse now than when I went in, since I have never been through this before I am just hoping that maybe someone could fill in the blanks for me.

THANKS!!
NeNe
Old 03-21-2009, 10:41 PM

I'm not sure why you're in so much pain after the MRI. You may have been put in an awkward position that aggrevated your injury, and you have to be totally still for those (cramping type of pain?).

I was on pain meds for all of mine except the Myleogram and slept through them except when they paused to inject the contrast solution, then it was back to sleep.

I'm sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I'm also glad you found this site. There's a lot of experience here to help you through your journey.

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 AM

Default new one on me...unless

Before becomg a chef I worked for a med school dean - the stories were always cool - I can say while I have heard reactions to dyes - I did here about someone with what was later diagnosed - her iron level in the blood were off the charts...it was a kid that was eating "candy" that ended up being iron tablets of the mothers. I don't remember anything else....I think that being in one position certainly make me hurt so bad I can't stand it -- I don't sleep well becasue everytime I move it wakes me --- so I feel your pain and this is a great site for support...good luck
Old 03-22-2009, 02:15 AM

NeNe,

If you are still in severe, constant pain that you cannot handle, I would personally go to the emergency room. They can give you something for the pain or something that will allow you to relax your muscles.

I've had 3 MRI's, no problems and can't imagine that it would ever cause a problem, that's IMHO. Like the others, it may be your injury was aggravated by being still. There are many professionals on the site that may be able to explain, they will get with you soon. In the meantime if you don't want to go to the hospital take a shower, and or put a wet/warm towel on your back, try to get the blood moving. Take ibuphrophen if you can tolerate it, or Tylenol. Sorry that I can't help.

Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 03-22-2009, 02:23 AM

After my last MRI, I had extra back pain. It was from laying on that flat surface and for so long. I was so cramped when I got out of that thing, it was awful. That was the first time that it ever happened to me, I have had 6 or 7 MRI's that I just slept through. So, it probably was just the laying on the hard surface for so long that got you stiff.
Also, are you on pain medication? That is the only thing that helped me survive the last 3 plus years. If not, go to the ER and get some. They should give you a few days worth, until you can get in to a pain management dr.(a good pm dr is key to surviving a life of pain, until you can get "fixed").
Best of luck,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 AM

Hi NeNe
Hello and welcome to this site
I have had at least 10 MRI and never had any extra pain from it even fell asleep once.
Do you know the results of your test.

If is really bad go to the ER

Hope you pain eases soon

Best wishes

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 03-22-2009, 02:45 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question.

I am thinking, because it was a 2 hour drive to get there,30 minutes of staying still in one position for the test and again another 2 hour drive to get home, that it maybe was a combination of the drive and test which has caused my symptoms to 'flare-up'.

Anyways, like I said at the beginning of my reply, thanks for answering my question and I hope that everyone has a GREAT evening!!

All the best to you all!!
NeNe
Old 03-22-2009, 03:41 AM

I forgot to answer the medication question from SandyW, I am on Tylenol #3's for pain control. I find that they don't seem to work all that well, ESPECIALLY now. I have been chewing Advil like candy and they don't seem to really work either, is sounds CRAZY when I read this paragraph over to think that I am putting all that medication into my body and IT DOESN'T WORK!!

HOPEFULLY, I will be able to convince my doctor to make some changes to my medication. I don't even have a clue as to what the next move is going to be with regards to the course of my treatment etc....

Take Care!!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:24 AM

You should get yourself some stronger meds written up. The pain meds were invented to help after all. just having the right meds around can bring some piece of mind and you might not need to take them but can at any minute.

i tell you this because I waited way too long in some bad pain before I accepted some of those stronger meds.

Get some meds.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Default re the pain

Perhaps you started to spasm after lying in the position of choice for the MRI because you had tightened up your musculature so much to stay still. Did they put a cushion under your knees during the procedure?

The tightening or torquing of the body might cause the paraspinal musculature to spasm and the disc pain to feel worsened or heightened or it could all just be muscle spasm... a drug target at this might be helpful.

Oh yes that drive sounds like torture as well... all things to contribute to flaring up of the ol' back pain!

I find Toradol injections wickedly helpful for muscle spasms of the worse nature...
Old 03-22-2009, 06:23 PM

Hi NeNe and welcome,

For seeking answers, help, support - you've come to the right place though I'm sorry for your pain. I ditto everyone else but I'd also try ice. You could have some extra swelling going on in there and the ice will help reduce that inflammation as well as partially numb that area.

Keep us posted on your MRI results, Dale
Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 AM

Let me add my welcome as well. There is a lot of helpful people here.

I'm sorry for your pain, and can only echo what others have said. Talk to your doctor about getting stronger meds. If it is bad enough, go to the ER, or clinic. If your doctor is hesitant about giving you meds that are strong enough to control your pain, ask about a pain management doctor, or find another doctor. Some doctors don't like to give strong pain meds, but when you need them they are warranted.

Good luck with figuring out what is going on, and in getting your pain under control. Hopefully we can help you as well.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 03-23-2009, 01:56 AM

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE WARM WELCOMES AND ADVICE!!
It makes me feel 100% better to know that I have the ability to speak with people who are going through the EXACT(or similar) situation as I am.

Wishing you all the very best, and hope you have many painfree days ahead!!