Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss I just keep getting bigger... in the Main forums forums; Ok, I know this is petty, compared to what I was bitching about 4 months ago, when I was in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 AM

Default I just keep getting bigger...

Ok, I know this is petty, compared to what I was bitching about 4 months ago, when I was in so much pain my brain couldn't function. But, nevertheless, here I go... I am now 5 weeks post op and I have gained 15 pounds!!!! I don't feel like I am eating more than usual, feels like less in all honesty. I have been doing my walking; but apparently that isn't cutting it for me. I am so bummed, I had just got into a size 4 pre-surgery and now, I can't even fit into my old 'fat' clothes. Damn, I'm bummed.

I had my follow up appointment today (hence why I know my weight- I gave up weighing myself at home long ago). Dr Blumenthal said that my x-rays looked great and that Dr.Garcia had done a wonderful job (he said it could only be better if he had done it himself )
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:04 AM

Kathy,

Are you taking any of the weight-gaining medicines such as Lyrica or Neurotin (gabapentin)?
Are you getting enough sleep?
I gained weight post surgery (A lot more than 15 pounds) and am currently trying to lose it. I have lost around 10 pounds but find it frustratingly slow as gabapentin has caused me to gain weight!

runner
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 AM

It shows how things can be so different. I lost 15 lbs after surgery. I am skinny and can't afford to loose any. I looked "sickly". It took me many month to get my 15 lbs back, including icecream therapy.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:17 AM

Runner- I am on Lyrica; but have been on it for a long time. I'm guessing that it is my lack of activity. My kids have been being cared for by family during the day and hubby at night, so not been chasing them around and no housework (not that I'm complaining).

Fuzzy- Uhh, I'm so jealous. I felt like I should have lost weight in the first week, as I didn't eat in the hospital and not much for the first week, as I hurt too much to even think about food.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:48 AM

Kathy,
You are so blessed. You are young, beautiful, and hopefully pain free. You have so much time to lose a few pounds and what's wrong with a voluptuous woman anyway? I know we are all vain about the weight but it is the inside that is so important. Try not to think about the pounds and just buy some bigger jeans for awhile. Before you know it you will be back at the gym or running around after your kids. Hang in there for a few more months.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 04-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Thumbs up

Kathy,

I totally get where you are coming from. I am about 10-15 pounds up too, and it is very depressing. Especially when we're not used to being overweight. I know for me it is the inactivity. And I still don't have the green light to do regular walking yet. (fusion restrictions are so different from adr restrictions) Needless to say, I don't see my weight budging until I am allowed a thumbs up to exercise routinely. Like you mentioned, you aren't chasing your kids around, huge surgery you're recovering from, the inactivity just piles the pounds on, regardless of your food intake. But unlike Phylly's response, no offense intended Phylly, because I keep you in high regard, but I personally would not go out and buy a bunch of "fat" clothes. Nothing contributes to complacency in the poundage arena more, than if you are suddenly in comfortable clothes again. Where's the incentive? I would be more inclined to purchase 1 pair of jeans, as let's face it, you need to be dressed and get out in the world. Just don't buy a wardrobe of new, bigger sizes. I don't see you doing that. I'm certainly not shooting for a size 4, like your former (and soon to be again!) ideal weight, but then again, I am almost 30 years older than you! I just want to be fit and toned again, and I will, and you will too. And believe me, because of your young age, you will get there way before me! Hang in there honey. You'll get there.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 PM

Default I was

Nearly 20 lbs over my ideal weight at one time. Maybe more like 15lbs and I lost it several years ago and was giving away all my jeans/clothes that fit at the old size to my SIL when she said "you should keep some in case you gain some weight again."

Smart advice as I went back up from being a complete size 1 or 2 to more like a 4 on top and 5 -7 on the bottom depending on what's going on with me at times..

My weight usually will stabilize but sometimes I'm between 107-115 depending on if I'm traveling and hanging out eating like a little piggy or just being me and eating when I feel like or being me and eating like I tell myself I should

I now have some "junk in my trunk" .. yeah, I'd like it to be less junky as I squeeze into my jeans tho it'll happen so I'm not too worried.

You'll lose it eventually!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 PM

Phylly & CL- Thanks for the encouragement. Trust me CL, my normal size is not a 4, I lost my baby weight a couple of months before surgery (even though she is 3 years old ) I am now in my post-partum clothes from having her, size 12. Weirdly enough, I was a size 8 prior to having kids, got down to a size 4 after having kids but weighed 10 pounds more than when I started? Clothes are either being made bigger or my body completely changed by having kids (or as I like to lie to myself and say, muscle weighs more than fat! hehe)
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Maria, I must have been typing when your post went up. Thank you as well for the encouragement.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Hey Kathy,

It's definitely inactivity. I've put on about 10 lbs over the last 3 months. I've been trying to watch what I eat (I eat very healthy, but I've been eating a lot of meals as studying makes me hungry--the brain needs all that glucose).

I wouldn't sweat the weight gain in the short term. However, I know it is really frustrating. Keep healing and when you get more active, your weight will start to normalize.

I will admit that I have an inner "fat kid." I used to play football in high school and I was my biggest my junior year -- 210 lbs at 17 years old. I dropped down to 142 when I started college at 18. I started lifting weights and bulked up to 180 lean and ripped. I stopped lifting again in 4/08 and I've dropped about 25 lbs of muscle and I'm right around 180-185 now...so all that muscle is gone and my body fat % has gone up even though my BMI is normal for my 6 foot frame.

Bad thing for me is that if I eat unhealthy for a week, I can put on 10 lbs of unhealthy weight. Good times...

Good luck Kathy...I know it's frustrating.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 PM

Yep, I've put on about 10 lbs too, over the last few months. But I am not even going to worry about it (though it's difficult), until I am well into the recovery period. I figure my body will need fuel to repair and heal, so there is no way I will "diet" while that is going on. I'd say, depending on how my recovery goes, I won't worry about it until about 3 months after surgery.

Please don't beat yourself up about right now. As Justin says, as soon as you begin to be more active, the weight will start to adjust down again.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 AM

I've put on 15 lbs this winter from inactivity and definitely feel it. I know myself though and will be back on a bicycle in a week or so. I am also walking every chance i get and I melt pounds away in the summer. The Lyrica is probably making you put on a little weight as well. You could ask to try Cymbalta in combination. It made me really sleepy but, the unintended consequence is that it took away my appetite completely. I had to force myself to eat and I would nibble as I had no hunger drive.

Hang in there Kathy. The main part is you are healing from a very difficult surgery. One gremlin at a time to tackle is enough. You will hopefully look back at this time in your life and realize the many gifts God gave you in return. You will have more empathy for others in pain, your sensitivity to the human condition will be immense, your humility over the beauty of the human condition will be incredible, your gratefulness for even the tiniest blessings will be awesome because you will have already been in hell.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 04-24-2009, 02:23 AM

Terry, what a beautiful post. All of us can learn from it. Thank you.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.