Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss The waiting game... in the Main forums forums; Hi Again, Michelle, by now I've probably put you to sleep with all my talking. You mentioned questions. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 01:50 AM

Default Michelle...I still dont know what questions I will ask him

Hi Again, Michelle, by now I've probably put you to sleep with all my talking. You mentioned questions.

I was given a form with the following on it in regards to questions from one of the doctors I am gong to see. Maybe this will help?

1. What is the name of my condition?
2> Can you explain it to me in terms I can understand?
3. What is it due to?
4. What is the most likely outcome in the absence of treatment?
5. What treatments other than surgery are available?
6. CAn they cure of stop the process or are they just symptomatic?
7. Is my condition accessible to a surgical treatment?
8. Can you explain it to me in terms I can understand?
9. What are the risks of the procedure and what do you an dyour ream do to try to prevent them?
a. During the procedure
b. During the hospitalization
c. During the recovery processs
10. What is the recovery time?
a. To be able to perform basic domestic tsks (getting out of bed, walking getting ready for the day)
b. To resume sedentary professional activities?
c: To b able to drive a car?
d> To resume strenuous professional activities
e. To resume sports activities.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:42 AM

Default Good Luck!!!

Thankyou dridobits for your replies.Dont worry about the length, thats what we are here for!
Im sorry, I had no idea it was that bad for you. I thought you were doing o.k on your meds and thats why you had waited 10 years. Im sorry you have had such a rough time.
From what you are describing I agree that getting rid of your disc will probably bring you enormous relief. How did your discogram go?

I think that my facet joints are causing me the most pain and so am having a facet block on Friday then if that goes well and looks to be positive i will have Radiofrequency denervation of the medial branch nerves. I think you might call it a facet rhizotomy in the US. Hopefully this will bring a lot of relief and I can then cut back on the opiates.
Does anyone know how well a fusion gets rid of facet pain? I have heard that it doesnt always help straight away.

Anyway I hope your appointments go well and you find the right surgeon for the job. I just got a letter of appointment for October! But I will see about getting in sooner. I hope this means he is an excellent surgeon.
Good Luck,
Michelle.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 AM

Default Michelle

My discogram showed mostly what I knew...the annular tears, bulge, DDD and something leaking from the disc outside.

That's interesting you think your pain is coming from the facet? Good luck on the block. It was my second one and provided no relief. I think your question would be good to post...I think I've seen snippets here and there and I also asked a question about facet joints....I can hopefully remember this question and put it to the first surgeon next week. I'll certainly let everyone know as things progress! Let me know how it all works out for you. Best, D

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Default 1st opion after all the tests

Well I have to say I was pleasantly surprised going to my HMO my first stop for surgery advice. The guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about and had a great bedside manner. The fact I have done so much research made it much better. I was his last appt. so it lasted for two hours.

What he said was what I thought...not exactly what I wanted to hear but that I need a two level fusion and that due to the facet issue and the bone density he didn't feel adr or a hybrid was the best. I'm glad in a way he wanted to do two levels as I have a bunch of annular tears on another disc which the report failed to mention from the radiologist. So at least the ball is moving. I will see the other surgeons in NY. I know different people have different requirements.

No way would I let him do ADR as he doesn't have enough experience in my book, but over 300 fusions felt better. I hate to say it but if I did exactly as I wanted it could wipe me out financially. It's a total drag to be in a situation where money is a factor. More later.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:22 PM

It's an evil fact for most of us...the green monster, and I'm not talking jealousy, but $$$, rules our lives one way or another. I have to go through this insurance *ell too, because the only other way would be to sell our home, and I won't ask my husband to do that. He (we) have worked too hard to give it all up. We pay for the insurance...we shouldn't have to give up everything.

I wish I could say or do something that would help, some suggestion to help you get through this maze. All I can do is agree...it IS a total drag.

It's comforting that you at least felt comfortable with this last guy...better than the alternative. If the doctors in NY agree that your bone density is not good enough, will you stay with this guy for fusion? You are going through all the right moves, eliminating the good and the bad...and doing a good job of narrowing the options. It will be crappy if your only opinion isn't what you want (all fusions), but at least you'll know you did all your homework properly.

Nothing like finding out after the fact that you shoulda, coulda.....

Hang in there. I'm glad you are keeping us updated....I'm thinking of you daily.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dridobits View Post
Hi Again, Michelle, by now I've probably put you to sleep with all my talking. You mentioned questions.

I was given a form with the following on it in regards to questions from one of the doctors I am gong to see. Maybe this will help?

1. What is the name of my condition?
2> Can you explain it to me in terms I can understand?
3. What is it due to?
4. What is the most likely outcome in the absence of treatment?
5. What treatments other than surgery are available?
6. CAn they cure of stop the process or are they just symptomatic?
7. Is my condition accessible to a surgical treatment?
8. Can you explain it to me in terms I can understand?
9. What are the risks of the procedure and what do you an dyour ream do to try to prevent them?
a. During the procedure
b. During the hospitalization
c. During the recovery processs
10. What is the recovery time?
a. To be able to perform basic domestic tsks (getting out of bed, walking getting ready for the day)
b. To resume sedentary professional activities?
c: To b able to drive a car?
d> To resume strenuous professional activities
e. To resume sports activities.
That is an awesome list of questions.

I look forward to hearing what Dr. Bitan says. You are wise to get several opinions, and to be educated about your condition and options. Good luck.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone