Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Nerve Damage S1/L5 in the Main forums forums; Hi, I have been suffering with mainly left knee/foot/calf pain and lower back pain for about 9 months ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM

Default Nerve Damage S1/L5

Hi, I have been suffering with mainly left knee/foot/calf pain and lower back pain for about 9 months now. I have a lump on my lower back that swells up every now and again and is extremely painful. Been to GPs several times and all they did was give me pain killers. After finally getting an appointment with someone at physio within about 10 minutes she said I had never damage between S1/L5 (when i lay on my back she tried to lift my left leg when it was straight and it was so tight i couldn't do it, she also pointed out my left foot is turning inwards and has a huge bone sticking out possibly due to muscle degeneration).

Anyway I've to do exercises then see her again soon but after doing a few of the exercises the lump on my back has swollen right out again and bigger than before (along my pelvis bone), the middle of my back hurts now, my left foot keeps getting these weird sensations and i'm also getting pain down my left thigh now.

She reckons i'll need an MRI but i'm curious if anyone on here has had similar problems? I've been reading up on disc degeneration and bulging discs and they seem similar to what i'm feeling. I also thought sciatica but the physio said i would be in the same amount of pain all the time with that.

Ps - Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Administrator

The positive straight leg raise (SLR) does not indicate nerve damage, it indicates nerve compression that has a mechanical component that can be fired up with the SLR. If you have muscle atrophy that may be another story, however, it may or MAY NOT be related to the lumbar issue that is demonstrated by the SLR.

The muscle atrophy would up the ante and provide more urgency to identify the problem. Why would they wait on an MRI? Please remember, I'm not a doctor and can be completely wrong.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
The positive straight leg raise (SLR) does not indicate nerve damage, it indicates nerve compression that has a mechanical component that can be fired up with the SLR. If you have muscle atrophy that may be another story, however, it may or MAY NOT be related to the lumbar issue that is demonstrated by the SLR.

The muscle atrophy would up the ante and provide more urgency to identify the problem. Why would they wait on an MRI? Please remember, I'm not a doctor and can be completely wrong.

Mark
Hey thanks for your reply. Well after having a few months of this pain all i've wanted is an MRI or some kind of scan to make sure there is no problem. Because the pain started in my foot i thought it was possibly a stress fracture which then healed wrong and caused all these problems but as you said we're not doctors.

I feel as if the doctors i've been seeing don't really care and just think it's normal back pain, when i showed my GP the bony lump she said "bony lumps are normal". How can they be normal when i didn't have before! I'm seeing my doctor again next week and i'm going to request an MRI and file a complaint if they don't.. i'm sick of being in pain and have had to take time off work now.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Housemd89, "bony lumps are normal", those kind of statements by doctors alarm me sometimes. Doctors are humans to and are subject to the same kind of mistakes we are. If you feel you doctors are not giving you a fair shake then go to another one if you can. Bedside manner isn't everything in a doctor but I want to know that he is engaged in my matter otherwise I am wasting my money and time. I don't try and pick the guy I like the most but the one that seems like they know what to do and are willing to pay diligence to my case! Choose wisely!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantwb1 View Post
Housemd89, "bony lumps are normal", those kind of statements by doctors alarm me sometimes. Doctors are humans to and are subject to the same kind of mistakes we are. If you feel you doctors are not giving you a fair shake then go to another one if you can. Bedside manner isn't everything in a doctor but I want to know that he is engaged in my matter otherwise I am wasting my money and time. I don't try and pick the guy I like the most but the one that seems like they know what to do and are willing to pay diligence to my case! Choose wisely!
Yeah I agree, I've seen 4 docs and only one actually took the time to ask me lots of questions.. the others didn't seem interested. I've to go back next week and if I'm not happy with how they are dealing with me I'm going to file a complaint and go private.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 AM

Well after trying my exercises for a little while (did as many as i could but sometimes it was too paniful ..also my second and third toe on my left foot curl up sometime and it's agony, they takes ages to un-curl) I went and seen my physio again and she showed me two more exercises.. Just from doing one in her office today my whole left leg feels as tight as ever and has been pretty damn sore.

Is it normal for this much pain with basic physio exercises?

I asked her if she could say to my doctor about a refferal for an MRI and she said "you will only get an MRI if you need surgery" ... eh well how do i know if i need surgery without an MRI! I see my doctor again in a few days so here's hoping he does something or as I've said I will go private, it does cost a bit but you can space it out over a few months.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:17 PM

Housemd89,

Two years ago I had exactly the same symptoms.Persistent pain in lower back,buttocks,legs & feet.Also tender swelling in lower back. In my case the pains & pins & needles were due to trapped nerves in the L5 & L4 area. The swelling was due to inflammation. I had an X ray which showed an old gardening injury left untreated for 20 years was now causing problems. I then had an MRI to give a clearer picture.

In my case I have an unstable spine so have just completed a course of physio therapy. Some of the exercises actually made it worse so you do need to be aware that not all exercises will be beneficial. The main thing is to exercise everyday so you keep as flexible as you can. I find walking the easiest & most beneficial followed by stretching. What also helps is getting the correct medication for your condition. In my case something for pain with an anti inflammatory component. The swelling has gone & the pain is mostly controlled. My lifestyle has had to change too as I need to move about a bit every hour or so or I get very stiff.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Griffen; 12-26-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 PM

Neurontin ?? Can be used for chronic neurogenic pain.
Neurontin Information from Drugs.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by housemd89 View Post
I feel as if the doctors i've been seeing don't really care and just think it's normal back pain, when i showed my GP the bony lump she said "bony lumps are normal". How can they be normal when i didn't have before!
Coming from a physician that does this a lot, bony lumps are "normal", or nothing to be concerned about. I can't think of a single common disease process that would have you develop a "bony lump" that you could feel. Sure, facet joints degenerate, you can develop ligamentous calcifications, but all of these you likely would not be able to feel as a 'lump'. Sure, there are other things like sarcomas, etc. that could lead to dystrophic calcifications, etc. but those are exceedingly rare and you would know by now if you had something serious like that. I know people are always desperate for answers, but I just don't understand why people persist in 'Monday night quarterback-ing' their medical health, and don't trust their physicians when they say something is normal. Anyway, the most likely cause of a bony lump is weight loss, and being able to feel structures that you normally cannot. Assuming you haven't had weight loss, then the next most common thing is a lump that has been there all along that you are just starting to feel now. These are the two most common things. Then there is the list of scary but rare things that could be considered, but most of these you would have noticed by now in other ways.

Last edited by rabbit; 12-19-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:50 AM

Default It never stopped

Back in 02 I had a micro discectomy, L4, L5. Result cured the intense debilitating pain from the S1 being impinged. However, I have have residual desensitization in my left calf and left side of my foot. It feels like my foot is being squeezed inside a ski boot that is too tight. I just try not to think about it and try to forget it. Some days are worse than others. Some times I feel those pins and needles as well. No form of physio or exercise can cure nerve damage. I tried neurontin but it made me feel like crap. My only shot is to go back under the knife and perhaps have some new discs put back in if that's even possible.