Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss The *Sign* I was waiting for.. in the Main forums forums; I've been waiting a long time for a sign that would influence my surgical decision one way or another ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM

Default The *Sign* I was waiting for..

I've been waiting a long time for a sign that would influence my surgical decision one way or another as the last year or so I've been pretty physical in comparison to where I was before this. Flare ups would be short lived and not so bad.

Ok, so I'm in the midst of a super sickening flare up with screaming with movement back pain. It may have muscle spasm component, most likely does tho I can tell when it's disc, the way it hurts~ and I have a positive straight leg raise...oh man, is it positive.

Normally I wouldn't dream of leaving my bed at this point for days but I'm in San Diego (not my home currently) to see my PM doc today and my husband is going to take me to the appt. and accompany which he never has to because I've NEVER gone to the doctor (any doctor) when I'm this flared up.

I was going to beg an ESI so I could return to Florida and help my father out some more, but I'm beginning to feel I am a surgery waiting to happen.

I never thought I had kicked the spinal problem but I thought I could wait longer... this type of flare up really is remniscent of exactly why I had discectomies.. horrible limiting pain with any movement~ now that it's happening again, I know it will happen more ~ I know this kind of pain but I worry it's at L3 vs. L4 or L5S1 (the discs that were concordant for pain on last 3 discograms).

Ok, I don't feel better stating this tho I know what's in my future. Need to get BMD done ASAP~ see where I'm at w/this and hope WC utilization review will auth' this ESI as WC is waiting for me to have surgery and may see this as an opportune time. Today would be a good day~ knock me out someone!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm so sorry Maria. A compromised disc can be a disaster waiting to happen though we all hope for the best. Sometimes we get it, sometimes we don't. My thoughts are with you.
Dale
Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Pharmacological relief

I'm so glad I had this appt~ hub picked me up, I laid down on the back seat of the Expedition (so comfy) and the appt. is like 5mins away via freeway so got there quickly, went up to 7th floor at Mercy Medical Bldg. and asked a nice man to move off the bench cuz I needed it for my bad back to lie down and being a gentleman he did.. otherwise I would have laid on the floor (had a towel ready).

I was called in record time while deep in a discussion w/other patients in waiting room re "House" and "Dr. Ben Casey" if anyone remembers him..

My PM listened to my complaints, asked me if I've iced the area as he knows I don't (so cold!) and re the ESI he said "you know it's going to be denied" so I said I wanted him to order it anyway even if it's going to take an appeal as usually I can get it after a few appeals. He said that this is what WC is going to do more and more is deny my services because my case is so old and they want to get rid of me. This I know...

Oh well, got my shot of Toradol and felt much better. Amazing how spasms can be so torturous. At least I could be upright a bit while we got some take out food and then took a tiny walk a half a block with big dog off leash and little pulling one on leash. Still have the sharp jolting feeling in my low back but I'm much more relaxed so it's not happening with every tiny movement. Headed back to bed tho (will ice w/frozen peas).

I think I may have been worried for nothing as it seems like my PM thought my L4 and/or L5S1 was acting up, more likely L4. I think I get too worried about L3 even tho I know which symptoms are attributed to which dermatome and so forth.

thanks Dale, I'm going to make my appt. for my physical and Bone Density test to see where that's at . Next week I see my Primary Treating Doctor for my low back~ I'm pretty sure he'd agree with my request for an ESI, esp. since Sept. '07 was the last one. This is a pretty conservative request so I'm hoping it can be complied with~ sooner than later.

Last edited by Maria; 04-09-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 PM

Glad you feel better. I think you were rightly concerned as you expressed that you felt pain in a higher level previously. Good luck with the ESI. - ans
Old 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Default better tho ?

thanks ans,
I felt better yesterday so first vacumned then was walking dogs and slipped off a curb of about 6 inches. Hard jolt to spine but didn't feel it too much. Left SD yesterday for LB with friend coming back from Mexico and car ride probably didn't do me any favors.. but that wasn't enough for me, took a walk last night of about a mile which really is lightweight.

This morning I got up and my left foot was numb as well as tingling thru out my left leg which feels like dead weight and I've pain in my left buttock and in tailbone. Actually both legs feel dead tho left more than right which is odd as usually my right leg is the one with the odd sensations like drops of water on it or bugs crawling on the lower anterior and medial aspect ...

So I will probably take it kind of easy, try not to lift too much or whatever flares me up (still in spasms I think) and hope to make it to my OSS appt. this coming week. Perhaps another shot of Toradol will be in order (must check how often or closely together I can get this as I recall it's hard on kidneys?)..

Later~ take care!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 AM

Maria,

I may be off base here but... your back has been acting up as of late, yet with one day of feeling good you first vaccummed, etc. I know that some doctors preach mild exercise to relieve back aches but in your case I wouldn't think that's the best course of action. And then today, because you overdid it yesterday, you need more meds. Gotta tell you, I think you should be resting a lot more and keep strenuous activity to another time.

Please, take it easy... Dale