Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Fusion surgery over..... in the Main forums forums; 1st day back from the hospital and I must say, it's all a different pain. Dr. Gerald Foti did ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 AM

Default Fusion surgery over.....

1st day back from the hospital and I must say, it's all a different pain. Dr. Gerald Foti did what appears to be a great job thus far. I was told it went flawless and better than expected. I was also told the MRI' did not do the damage justice and was glad we went with the fusion instead of the ADR. Dr. Foti told me if I had gone with the ADR, there was a very good chance we would have been doing the fusion not long down the road.

The leg pain is gone, nerve pain is gone and as far as that goes I feel great. I do have the surgery pain, but this is to be expected. The brace is nice and snug and doing it's job well. The days are definitely getting easier as they pass as long as I keep moving and doing as I am supposed to do.

Surgery date was August 1st, 2008. I was up and walking the next day with a walker, slow and gingerly. They took my walker away the following day and gave me crutches and they seemed to work better for me for the flow of walking. By Monday afternoon the crutches stayed against the wall and I was on my own power for a few strolls. I seem to be doing better than I could have ever expected and part of it was due to the prep before hand. I really focused on the core muscle groups as well as my legs, to the best of my ability considering my condition.

It's going to be a long recovery, but it would appear this was the best decision I could have made. Great support from family and neighbors with everyone giving a helping hand where they can.

I'd like to thank Mark for all of the indecisiveness in my decision making and tolerating an up and down attitude. He and the board have been very supportive and I thank you all.

The procedure used was the CD HORIZON® LEGACY™ PEEK Rod System. I am very pleased thus far.

Medtronic Sofamor Danek, Inc
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Great news Marty! So glad your pain is gone. Making the right decision for you is difficult and something we've all been through. It sounds like you made the right one. Good for you.

Keep up the slow rehab and keep us posted.

Wishing you all the best, Dale
Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM

Default good to hear from you

Thanks for updating us on what you did and how you're doing. Sounds like you are doing well to date & progressing nicely.

With respect to decision making and getting to the point where you actually choose a surgical option (if more than one is offered)~ it doesn't surprise me when people question/think about/sound out what path/option to take but rather when they don't.

Thanks as well for mentioning the name of the procedure, and type of system without having to ask.

Wishing you continued excellence in your recovery

Last edited by Maria; 08-08-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:04 PM

You sound great/articulate and have a realistic long-term idea of what to face. I guess your fusion was at L5-S1 - better this than an ADR lotsa people say. Heal well.

ans
Old 08-14-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans View Post
You sound great/articulate and have a realistic long-term idea of what to face. I guess your fusion was at L5-S1 - better this than an ADR lotsa people say. Heal well.

ans
Actually L4-S1 are the vertebrae that were fused. L5-S-1 was completely obliterated and L4-L5 was well on it's way to follow. As Tom Petty sings, "the waiting is the hardest part."
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Marty... such great news. I love to hear, "the leg pain is gone... the nerve pain is gone... You know that the indications were correct and your pain generators are addressed. Please take care... heal well... and apprecate each minute you get without the pain that you knew too well.

You are very welcome for small part in your story... What I do is very rewarding and the best part of it is hearing about the restored lives.

All the best... please keep us up to date....

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to wavedreamer1@aol.com
Default Need Help!

I have had 4 major spinal surgerys and now living with nerve damage in my legs. To keep the use of my legs I have an implanted pain pump (2) the first one go infected. I almost lost my life. I have another one and it is not working very much. In the past month I have started having severe pain in my lower spine and it is hard to set down or lay on my right side. If I fall asleep I have to have help again just to get out of the bed. I feel something is wrong but my doctor just keep goign up on my pump. Which is hard because of the side effect. I need a doctor to help repair the nerve damage. My last doctor want even talk to me. He did not las 2 surgerys . HE STATED THAT THERE WAS NOTHING MORE HE COULD DO FOR ME! Please if there is someone in my shape that can lead me in the right direction. All my prayers to everyone with spine problems. Sandra wavedreamer1@aol.com