Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Fusion surgery over..... in the Main forums forums; 1st day back from the hospital and I must say, it's all a different pain. Dr. Gerald Foti did ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 AM

Default Fusion surgery over.....

1st day back from the hospital and I must say, it's all a different pain. Dr. Gerald Foti did what appears to be a great job thus far. I was told it went flawless and better than expected. I was also told the MRI' did not do the damage justice and was glad we went with the fusion instead of the ADR. Dr. Foti told me if I had gone with the ADR, there was a very good chance we would have been doing the fusion not long down the road.

The leg pain is gone, nerve pain is gone and as far as that goes I feel great. I do have the surgery pain, but this is to be expected. The brace is nice and snug and doing it's job well. The days are definitely getting easier as they pass as long as I keep moving and doing as I am supposed to do.

Surgery date was August 1st, 2008. I was up and walking the next day with a walker, slow and gingerly. They took my walker away the following day and gave me crutches and they seemed to work better for me for the flow of walking. By Monday afternoon the crutches stayed against the wall and I was on my own power for a few strolls. I seem to be doing better than I could have ever expected and part of it was due to the prep before hand. I really focused on the core muscle groups as well as my legs, to the best of my ability considering my condition.

It's going to be a long recovery, but it would appear this was the best decision I could have made. Great support from family and neighbors with everyone giving a helping hand where they can.

I'd like to thank Mark for all of the indecisiveness in my decision making and tolerating an up and down attitude. He and the board have been very supportive and I thank you all.

The procedure used was the CD HORIZON® LEGACY™ PEEK Rod System. I am very pleased thus far.

Medtronic Sofamor Danek, Inc
(no Problems)
4-07 Fall down step holding daughter
5-07 L5-S1 buldge MRI
9-07 L5-S1 herniation W/DDD and annular tear MRI
3 epidurals / 2 nerve root injection / 6 weeks of PT

8/01/2008 L4-S1 Posterior Spinal fusion only, using the PEEK ROD system. No Vertebral spacer and disc is still there. So is the pain!!!!

4 More weeks of PT and things are worse now than before.
I must train again.