Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Is it normal for a doctor not do a discogram? in the Main forums forums; I went to the doctors today to follow up on the cervical facet injections that didn’t work. He told ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Is it normal for a doctor not do a discogram?

I went to the doctors today to follow up on the cervical facet injections that didn’t work. He told me “I don’t think there is anything I can do for you now, I don’t know what to tell you”. He offered me pain management only. He will not do a discogram. Is that normal not to do a discogram next? He said the results of cervical discograms are not conclusive therefore not worth the risk. I explained that I am at a pain level of 7 all day, I haven't worked in 7 months and I can barely care for my children at the end of the day due to neck pain. I understand the ambiguous results I went through all this with my low back. This ended up so ugly.

He actually raised his voice at me and I was in tears as he told me that the only option was fusion but it only works in 48% of the patients at c5-c6, there is a 12% chance of swallowing problems and 1or 2 in 1000 is quadripalegic. I asked if the quadripalegics are at his practice and he said no but they are in Charlotte and are in lawsuits.

I asked about disk replacement and he said he'd go through the appeals process but that United Healthcare isn't paying for it. Which of course I know all that. And I wouldn't let him touch me anyway at this point.

The MRI only shows mild degeneration which I guess is his hesitation but given my history wouldn't that be the next step?
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid