Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Main forums forums; I am in the Activ-L clinical trial. I just got home from Florida today, would've posted sooner; but ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 AM

Thumbs up I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in the Activ-L clinical trial. I just got home from Florida today, would've posted sooner; but the internet at the hotel was horribly slow. I saw Dr. Garcia on Thursday and he said I was a great canidate for the trial. I found out that he and Dr. Yue are the inventors of the Activ-L disc. I really feel comfortable with him, he answered all my questions, and spent an hour just talking to me. I then did the trial paperwork and am accepted! The only thing I have to do is bloodwork the day before surgery, a chest x-ray and meet with him again to discuss any questions or concerns I may have. I then will have surgery on March 17, 2009! I am excited and nervous all at the same time; but more than those two, I am sick and tired of hurting 24/7. I can't wait to be on the other side with the rest of you! I'm so ready for the next chapter of my life to begin! Thanks for all the thoughts, prayers and encouragement!

Mark- I didn't even read your post to tell him hello until I after I had already seen him. Funny thing is, I was telling him that I have been researching ADR and understand that the goal is great outcome; but that I also understand that this is not always the case. To explain how I 'knew' all these ADR patients, I told him about how I was on this board and had been on the "other board" I then was telling him about how it came about and you (not knowing you knew each other). I then mentioned your name and he told me he knew you and had great things to say about you.
Goes to show it is a small world after all.

Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:01 AM

Thumbs up YeeeeeHaw!!!

FANTASTIC!! Good work, girlfriend! I'm sure you'll get the best of care and enjoy a great outcome.

Adrienne
Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 AM

Default Reply

Great News Kathy!

Im sure you will get better. So far it seems to me that no matter which discs they use, most people seem to have significant improvement if not 100% better. Im sure this disc will do its job just like all the others.

Based on peoples stories, I too am terrified of fusion. ADR is the only way to go.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 AM

Congratualtions Kathy,
That took a long time but you did it. Determination pays off! I hope you get a great result.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 02-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Kathy,

This is GREAT news! Congrats!!!
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Kathy,

Congratulations to you! I just had a good feeling about this one. Your persistence has certainly paid off. March 17th will be here before you know it. I'm right behind you with my hip replacement March 20th. We are all rooting for you!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Kathy,
Congratulations on your surgery date. I hope and pray this will be the answer you've been looking for and you get relief from your 24/7 pain. Best wishes!
Linda
Old 02-01-2009, 04:47 PM

Kathy,

I'm absolutely thrilled for you! Your determination in going to Florida was the right move. 1 1/2 months isn't that long to wait either. Congrats

Dale
Old 02-01-2009, 05:26 PM

What wonderful news Kathy!! I'm sure you will have the best care, and hope you will be pain free soon.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 PM

Thumbs up yahooo!

Hi Kbear
Good things happen to good people but great things come to great people.
congratulations Kathy
Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 02-01-2009, 11:44 PM

That's great news Kathy! I'm glad it's worked out for you the way it has.

Do you think you'll get a green Activ-L since it's St. Patrick's Day?

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Kathy,

Great news about getting into the trial. It's been a tough road getting there. Congrats!

Take a look at the photo below. See the clock in the background? It's almost 1am. Diane and I were at the conference at 8 that morning and she was still going strong 16 hours later. We left the party and went for a walk on the beach. Why is any of this important? You can't see it, but Diane is wearing a back brace under her dress. She's 5 weeks post-op from her 2-level lumbar ADR. For most of us heading into ADR surgery, it's hard to imagine being able to smile and enjoy ourselves 18 hours into a day of sitting and standing (especially just a few weeks out!)

I look forward to hearing of your success. Next time you see him, give Dr. Garcia my regards.

All the best,

Mark

Diane Mintzer (Mrs. mmglobal), John Viscogliosi, Dr. Garcia's lovely wife, mmglobal (me), Rolando Garcia
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 02-02-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging words. I know it won't be long and I will finally be on the other side! Can't wait to be on the road to recovery. In 2 weeks, we leave for a cruise to the Bahamas for a week. Then, it's my birthday in March, then surgery. So, I know it will fly by.

You guys are great, Thank You for being there for me when I needed you, and in the future when I come calling again.

Cindy-We can burn our computers and TV's up together during our 'joint' recoveries. Glad I will have a pal going through it with me (not glad you need another surgery; but glad we will both be on the way to wellness)

Mark-That is so cool that you know my doc. Thanks for posting the pic, now I can show my hubby, so he has an idea of who will be cutting on his wife. I really appreciate all you do for this community and only wish I had found it sooner. Thank you
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 PM

Smile

Kathy,

Congratulations. Hey, you did it, you didn't give up. Rest up and get ready for what is ahead of you. The time will fly.

Runner