Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss 4 Days till Surgery! in the Main forums forums; I am so ready to go to Miami and have this surgery done. I have bought all of the supplies ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 AM

Default 4 Days till Surgery!

I am so ready to go to Miami and have this surgery done. I have bought all of the supplies you all suggested. Hubby has already got dibs on my grabbers when I am done with them. I still haven't started packing; but that shouldn't be too hard, lot's of soft clothes. I finally found some St. Patty's day gear! I bought a night shirt and pajama pants, 4 leaf clover socks (maybe they will let me have those in surgery), and my undies are green. I'm just gonna wear that to the hospital, give me something to laugh about and take my mind off of what I'm doing.

On to that, I am starting to get nervous and worried about surgery. I am not worried about the ADR, more about anesthia. I have never had 'real' surgery, where they put you to sleep (only had the sedation you get for injections and stuff). So, that's a bit freaky. Hopefully, they will drug me pretty quick upon arrival. That is my favorite part of having procedures done, a couple of hours without pain. I look forward to that little bit of time with no pain. My husband always laughs at me when I get all excited about having that; but it is a nice relief from the constant pain.

We leave for FL on Sunday, I see the dr. on Monday and then surgery on Tuesday. My husband will be with me until the Friday after surgery. I then have a friend coming for the weekend and another friend coming for the remainder of the time. I also got some books I am really looking forward to reading. I bought a really cool chronological bible, that puts history with the bible and it is in order, so a lot easier to follow. I am looking forward to reading some of that. I really wish I had liked history in school and paid attention, as I really like it now. I also got the Jon & Kate plus 8 book, probably will read that in a day or two. It will be some nice easy reading, hopefully funny (but not so funny that I laugh until I cry-from pain). I'm also loading my Ipod up with a lot of new music and videos.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Kathy, in less than a week, you'll be on the other side. Sounds like you are good to go. (I assume you found a green thong?) I can't wait to hear great news about your surgery. All the best,

Mark

PS... please say hi to Dr. Garcia for me!
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-13-2009, 01:19 PM

Kathy:

I'm so excited for you. It is great that you are going to go get fixed up with a great surgeon to boot. Don't worry about being put to sleep. It really is a nice experience. You'll be in some pain in the recovery room but that time is spent coming out of the anesthesia and they will then medicate you for pain. You are heading towards the other side.

I am sure everything will be okay. God is looking out for you, we're here to lend support, you've got an excellent nurse in your hubby. Life is good.

Let us know if you need any last minute encouragement and, if not, we will eagerly await your posting from the other side.

Take care and hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Oh, I am so excited for you. I want surgery so bad, I know how you feel. There are times when it scares me too, but the thought of being able to do normal things again, is too good to keep me from hoping.

It sounds like you are all prepared, I love the green undies idea. It's great that you are keeping a sense of humor about this. You are in great hands, and soon you will be on the other side. I look forward to following your progress.

Good luck.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 03-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Kathy,

How this time has flown and within days, you'll be on the other side, slowly getting your life back. How wonderful for you.

Unfortunately, no one will actully see your green undies, thong or otherwise. They'll give you a bag and a gown, then tell you to go into the bathroom, take off all your clothes, put them in the bag and put on the latest fashion of a hospital gown. So the green undies may cheer you up but will only give everyone else a boost if you tell them about it so make sure you mention how you dressed for their enjoyment

I think the worst part of a surgical experience (aside from post op pain) is the IV. I always ask for lidocaine first and then let them poke away. The happy juice comes next and then good night. Don't fret it.

Good luck and happy thoughts, Dale
Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 PM

Default Reply

Well, good luck Kathy! Ive been hearing you have a top surgeon and thats the most important part. Myself, Im soooo happy that my old pain is gone. Im sore and still recovering but its all surgery type recovery. Its so awesome to relax and not have pain. You should notice within the 1st or definitely 2nd day that your old pain is gone. Though the surgery pain may mask your ability to do so for several days. See ya on the other side!

Steve