Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss 4 Days till Surgery! in the Main forums forums; I am so ready to go to Miami and have this surgery done. I have bought all of the supplies ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 AM

Default 4 Days till Surgery!

I am so ready to go to Miami and have this surgery done. I have bought all of the supplies you all suggested. Hubby has already got dibs on my grabbers when I am done with them. I still haven't started packing; but that shouldn't be too hard, lot's of soft clothes. I finally found some St. Patty's day gear! I bought a night shirt and pajama pants, 4 leaf clover socks (maybe they will let me have those in surgery), and my undies are green. I'm just gonna wear that to the hospital, give me something to laugh about and take my mind off of what I'm doing.

On to that, I am starting to get nervous and worried about surgery. I am not worried about the ADR, more about anesthia. I have never had 'real' surgery, where they put you to sleep (only had the sedation you get for injections and stuff). So, that's a bit freaky. Hopefully, they will drug me pretty quick upon arrival. That is my favorite part of having procedures done, a couple of hours without pain. I look forward to that little bit of time with no pain. My husband always laughs at me when I get all excited about having that; but it is a nice relief from the constant pain.

We leave for FL on Sunday, I see the dr. on Monday and then surgery on Tuesday. My husband will be with me until the Friday after surgery. I then have a friend coming for the weekend and another friend coming for the remainder of the time. I also got some books I am really looking forward to reading. I bought a really cool chronological bible, that puts history with the bible and it is in order, so a lot easier to follow. I am looking forward to reading some of that. I really wish I had liked history in school and paid attention, as I really like it now. I also got the Jon & Kate plus 8 book, probably will read that in a day or two. It will be some nice easy reading, hopefully funny (but not so funny that I laugh until I cry-from pain). I'm also loading my Ipod up with a lot of new music and videos.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Kathy, in less than a week, you'll be on the other side. Sounds like you are good to go. (I assume you found a green thong?) I can't wait to hear great news about your surgery. All the best,

Mark

PS... please say hi to Dr. Garcia for me!
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-13-2009, 01:19 PM

Kathy:

I'm so excited for you. It is great that you are going to go get fixed up with a great surgeon to boot. Don't worry about being put to sleep. It really is a nice experience. You'll be in some pain in the recovery room but that time is spent coming out of the anesthesia and they will then medicate you for pain. You are heading towards the other side.

I am sure everything will be okay. God is looking out for you, we're here to lend support, you've got an excellent nurse in your hubby. Life is good.

Let us know if you need any last minute encouragement and, if not, we will eagerly await your posting from the other side.

Take care and hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-13-2009, 04:10 PM

Oh, I am so excited for you. I want surgery so bad, I know how you feel. There are times when it scares me too, but the thought of being able to do normal things again, is too good to keep me from hoping.

It sounds like you are all prepared, I love the green undies idea. It's great that you are keeping a sense of humor about this. You are in great hands, and soon you will be on the other side. I look forward to following your progress.

Good luck.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 03-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Kathy,

How this time has flown and within days, you'll be on the other side, slowly getting your life back. How wonderful for you.

Unfortunately, no one will actully see your green undies, thong or otherwise. They'll give you a bag and a gown, then tell you to go into the bathroom, take off all your clothes, put them in the bag and put on the latest fashion of a hospital gown. So the green undies may cheer you up but will only give everyone else a boost if you tell them about it so make sure you mention how you dressed for their enjoyment

I think the worst part of a surgical experience (aside from post op pain) is the IV. I always ask for lidocaine first and then let them poke away. The happy juice comes next and then good night. Don't fret it.

Good luck and happy thoughts, Dale
Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 PM

Default Reply

Well, good luck Kathy! Ive been hearing you have a top surgeon and thats the most important part. Myself, Im soooo happy that my old pain is gone. Im sore and still recovering but its all surgery type recovery. Its so awesome to relax and not have pain. You should notice within the 1st or definitely 2nd day that your old pain is gone. Though the surgery pain may mask your ability to do so for several days. See ya on the other side!

Steve
Old 03-13-2009, 08:15 PM

Kathy,
I am really happy for you. You are a real fighter and were able to get what you needed. It just shows that determination pays off. I can't wait to hear from you after the surgery and follow your progress; You write such great descriptions. I know all will go well, some pain of course but that will stop. I am thinking about you.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 03-13-2009, 09:16 PM

Kathy,
I agree with Dale on the IV. I am not a fan of that or blood being taken. When I had my epidural for nerve pain after surgery, they gave me an IV. I never had one for my epidurals before surgery. Every Hospital is different. I was asking the nurse what the hell she was doing because I was just getting a simple injection. Well, she won and I had to have one. You will be fine and all the pain is about to leave you. You got to admit that it will be so worth it. After they gave me my cocktail, I didn't remember crap. They do this everyday and if they give you a little too much, you will just sleep a little longer. The only painful experience that I had was when I took my first shower at the hospital and I realized that I was the only naked one in there out of me and my wife. Just like home! All kidding beside, my nerves were still sensitive and the water made me hurt. But, it didn't last long and I only felt it that one time. Here's a big Texas hug and I will pray for you. Everything will be OK.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 AM

Thank you all so much, I probably would have given up if it wasn't for all of your encouragement.
Dale- I also bought some 4 leaf clover socks for surgery, maybe they will let me keep them? I know they usually give you those hideous hospital socks and I usually don't put them on and keep mine on. They may be stricter than the injection people are.
I LOVE the lidocaine shot in the hand before the IV. I am terrified of needles, I literally faint. I know logically that it is not that painful, it's not going to kill me, and so on. But, I have this crazy fear, although with having 2 babies, all the back issues, and hormone issues that require crap loads of blood to be taken often; it is getting better. I just let them know that I MUST lay down. I do have some kick ass big veins and have only had one idiot miss my vein, they obviously had no experience and the head nurse came in and apologized and put it in within seconds.
I am ready for the drugs, I've been hanging on by a thread for awhile now. Hopefully, they will give me the 'I don't give a sh*t if you cut my leg off' drug right away.
Well, we are leaving on Sunday for Miami. All day Monday is registering at the hospital and seeing the dr.
Thanks for everything, Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Default Good Luck

Kathy,

Good luck with your surgery. I have no doubt you will do well. The pain I had was certainly manageable....nothing like getting hit by a semi truck. I felt really nauseous for the first 24 hours, but then that wore off and I was up and about. Do you know what disc you will be getting? The activ l gets my vote, but as you have heard numerous times on this forum, placement/surgical expertise seems to be the highest priority. I am sure that others have offered there assistance and well wishes, but feel free to contact me via phone if I can offer any support to your or yours.

Geoff

geoffrey.finley@gmail.com

The Bionic Man - "We'll make him better than he was before...Better, Stronger, Faster"...well not quite but you get the idea
Old 03-14-2009, 06:35 PM

Kathy,
I'm so happy you are almost there. Best wishes for a successful surgery and the new life it will bring along with it. Hang in there through the recovery time.
Linda
Old 03-15-2009, 05:23 AM

Hey Kathy, just wanted to add my good wishes. Good luck!!!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 02:17 PM

Kathy, you've already left for the airport. You might even be on the plane for Miami by now. In two days you'll be on the other side. I do believe your young age will serve you well. Honestly. That's a huge plus in your favor. And your upbeat attitude will serve you well too. We'll look forward to your first post after surgery. God be with you.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:47 PM

hi kathy,

i just wanted to wish you good luck for a very successful op tuesday! you've fought hard for this. it sounds like you are in great hands and that you have more than you'll hopefully ever need for recovery!

don't go in the beautiful emerald ocean until your incision has healed!

best wishes,
Liz
Old 03-16-2009, 02:15 AM

Talking Yea

Hi Kathy
I have been busy Skiing and working ski races. I did not want to forget you.
Best wishes in Florida take it easy listen to your medical team
I know you have waited a while to be on the other side, let the force be with you.
Good Luck, Take Care, God Bless.
AFA Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 AM

Wink I'm in Florida!

Hey Everyone, My husband and I arrived in Florida a couple of hours ago. We are staying on the beach and it is awesome here! We so lucked out on a great room, with a balcony facing the ocean. I think it will be the perfect healing place Tomorrow is all hospital registration and dr's office. I am glad I will be busy and won't be fretting about having surgery. Thanks for all the prayers and support and I will be updating you all as soon as I am able to.
Kathy
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 AM

Kathy,

Good luck today and tomorrow. I have a feeling there'll be a lot of prayers being said for you tomorrow.

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM

It sounds like your room will be the perfect place to recover. I wish you all the best.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM

The countdown begins.......You will do fine. You are in my prayers, Kathy.

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:05 PM

I wish you the best. See you on the other side!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:19 PM

Default Good Luck Tomorrow!

Kathy,

Good luck tomorrow! CindyLou hit the nail on the head: you have age on your side, which is a huge plus when it comes to recovery. ADR surgery truly gave me my life back (bedridden / heavily medicated --> pain-free for 5 years).

I want to assure you that through all of your research, ongoing struggles with pain and small victories mixed in between that ADR, while not a "fix-all," will most definitely improve your current quality of life.

Remember to take things slow. Keep us posted on your progress!
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:40 PM

Kathy,

You have such a positive attitude which is going to serve you well as these final hours wind down. My crystal ball says that good luck is coming your way. The other side is waiting!!!

Good luck, Dale
Old 03-16-2009, 05:51 PM

Kathy, I will be sending positive vibes your way tomorrow. Your hotel room does sound like a wonderful place to start your recovery. I love the smell of the ocean, and the sound of the surf (I don't know if you can hear it from your window/balcony).

Looking forward to hearing from you, on the other side.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 PM

Any word on our Patient yet?

Sounds like she went in with an accepting heart and peace with the decision.

Thumbs Up!

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 AM

Hi Kathy

Just wondering how things went.

Rest and post when you can,

All The Best

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 03-18-2009, 05:21 PM

Hi Kathy. I hope that everything went perfectly yesterday, and that you are on the way to being pain free. I hope your recovery goes well, not too many bumps in the road.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:24 AM

Hey Kathy, not too surprising we haven't heard from you yet, given surgery was just yesterday, but you are on all our minds. Those first couple of days can really be a bear. Hopefully, soon, we'll get a nod that all is well. We're pulling for you.

All the best,
Cindylou
Old 03-19-2009, 03:06 AM

Default reply

Cant wait to hear from you Kathy! No worries if you have discomfort and pain post surgery, it is to be expected. I just hope the familar old pre op pain is gone. Im 3 weeks post op and am still have quite a bit of discomfort and some pain but its not at all the same type of pain I had Preop so I figure its just a matter of time for that to heal too.