Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Oh, boy, here I go again....... in the Main forums forums; Am starting to get real jittery and shaky behind my neck this morning. Feeling nauseous. Good thing the ER made ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 01:36 PM

Default Oh, boy, here I go again.......

Am starting to get real jittery and shaky behind my neck this morning. Feeling nauseous. Good thing the ER made me follow up with PC, cuz I have an appt. in 30 minutes, which up till now, I had been thinking about canceling. I do not know what is going on with this damn neck of mine. Will report back.......
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 PM

Cindylou, I'm sorry but I don't know your whole story. Your signature mentions a lot of work done at the Lumbar area, but not in the cervical. You got an epidural shot not long ago, but I have not seen the reason why you need one.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I have had numerous injections there, without success, but with no long lasting problems.

Please let us know what happens at your appointment. You have certainly been through enough.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 PM

Default ???

CL,
I'm sorry to hear this as well and wonder about multi level disc stuff going on? Spasms? I went thru such a crappy cervical period for almost a month and it's finally settled down a bit but I have to really *watch it* with my positioning and such. Good luck with the visit and keep us posted.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:11 PM

Ok, got home a little bit ago. It is not looking good. My primary care flat out said she thinks I need surgery on my neck. Talk about an elephant in the room. The pain going down the shoulder into my arm and hand is all C6-7, she stated. My heart rate was way high upon examination.....I'm sure the spasms set it off and gave me that shortness of breath. It appears to have calmed down somewhat now. She also does not think it is a good idea for me to take care of the baby. That is just not an option. At the very least, I could hire a high school girl for the summer to do the lifting of the baby, bring her to me, etc. I really want to do this. I also don't want to wait until I end up needing emergency surgery. So, I think first things first. I'm supposed to call my back/neck clinic and make an appt. and see who in the group does neck surgery. Likely a disectomy (sp) is what my first thought is. I know things are supposed to happen for a reason, but right now, this minute, I have no clue as to why I am suffering in this way. I am beginning to feel a bit like Job. I know in reality there is no comparison, but seriously, how much does a person have to handle??? Enough is enough.
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM

Cindylou,

My so feel for you. Your last line, enough is enough, says it all. In my life, crying is all that is left which causes a terrible headache and then you say great, one more thing to add on to this already full plate. I think it's safe to say, except in the final throws of labor, those words should never be applicable, except when your sides hurt from laughing too much.

And the baby. Nothing more to say. I'm sorry. I hope your resolution is on the horizon but again, how much more do you have to endure?

Enough is enough!

Dale
Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Do you have friends and/or family around who can help? In our area, high school students have to work so many hours of community service before they can graduate, and my friend's son came over and did a lot of barn work for me that I am unable to do. We have a small farm. It worked well for both of us, and that might help you too, and not cost so much.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 PM

Default when enough is enough

Then things become clearer.
You have to prioritize and think of what is needed right now.
Make the appt for ASAP consultation.
Hire someone to help with the baby.
Line up care for imminent surgery.
If you have the luxury of getting several surgical opinions do (as in if it's not emergent) though if you trust your current surgeon you may want to go with whatever he says.

Either way you need help with your baby as I'm sure there is no way to get around taking care of your baby or children and putting them first vs. yourself unless you're absolutely bedridden and can't move (which you may be getting to if your spasms are violent enough).

Sorry CindyLou but you've been dealt the stack of cards that are loaded. I hope you can get everything taken care of in a way that affords you the time and comfort to make sure your baby/family is well situated no matter what lies ahead.

Hang in there CL!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 PM

Thank-you for the advice. Our high school kids don't have such a program. That is very cool, plus it encourages volunteerism. So, here's what took place today. I met with the Dr. who gave me the ESI last week that sent me to the ER. He was very concerned. He physically examined me and then we looked at my MRI together. C6-7 looks bad. But more importantly, it's symptomatic. And C4-5 isn't great either. He referred me to a neurologist to have an EMG (electromyography) test conducted on my right arm, to see if there is any nerve damage, how much, etc. That is a week from today. I also had some more flexion/extension x-rays done today of my neck. And I have my consult next Wednesday with a neck surgeon in the same practice. Today's doc said at the very least I would likely need a decompression and fusion of C6-7, but it's also possible I need to have all 3 levels done, since C5-6 is sandwiched in between the bad levels. Oh brother, my head is spinning. I haven't mentioned it to my daughter-in-law yet, but will today as we are supposed to go shopping after my allergy appt. I don't want her to panic. We'll get it figured out. I'm thinking if there isn't any nerve damage maybe I can tough it out. We'll see. I just can't have these episodes where I'm dashing off to the ER. Well, time to head to my annual allergy appt. My throat is wicked sore from all the drainage. Calgon take me away!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 PM

CL,
So sorry about this news. A complete bummer! It always seems like these lumbar and cervical things go together but you have had more than your share. You must be picking up everyone else's slack. You must stop that so we can get you better. I understand how overwhelming this is. I also agree with Maria about prioritizing what you need to do and start there. My E-hugs go out to you.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 05-01-2009, 03:08 AM

CL- I am so sorry you are going through all this. You have been through it all, maybe like Paul, this is the 'thorn in your side'. We never really knew what that thorn was; but we know God did not take it away. I think of that quite a bit when I am wallowing in my misery. I wish I had an ounce of the faith and determination Paul had, to rejoice and keep moving. You have gone through more than anyone should have to go through.

Now, for the good news! You are gonna have enough medical expenses this year for a great tax write off! Everytime I write one of those menancing checks, I tell myself that. (makes it a tad easier) Oh, what we could do with all the money we pay for medical care.

I am praying for you and that you will be able to get this taken care of.
God Bless,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:07 PM

Oh boy, CL. You are really going through it all, aren't you. I am so sorry for this latest development, not what you need on top of everything you've already gone through.

But yes, you will figure it out. At least you are finally getting some answers, and can look forward to hopefully solving the problem. Knowing is half the battle.

I really wish you all the best. It is past time for you to be pain free.

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 05-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Yes, thank-you all for the encouragement. Now, what's weird is, today is not a bad day at all. And even yesterday wasn't bad. But the day before that was really bad. So it waxes and wanes. I had every intention of telling my daughter-in-law about what was going on last night, but we were having such a good time shopping and picking out new work attire for her, I didn't want to burst the bubble. I do know that I am not going to let her down. She has been counting on me to be her childcare since she was early days pregnant, so that is a done deal. If I consistently begin to have bad days, and/or if I get results next week that nerve damage may be setting in, then of course, I will have to get off the fence. But I like the idea of hiring a summer girl just for a month (or whatever doctor might deem best) to help me right after surgery, should surgery be indicated. Right now, I am just going to rock along and really try to watch my posture, or anything else that might set it off. And I'll definitely fill in results after my nerve test and surgery consult next week. And thanks again for all the support. I'll get through this. I'm just not understanding the "why" right now, but maybe I'm not supposed to. Meanwhile, it's an incredible day today in Minneapolis. I have yard guys helping do spring clean-up and laying some new sod where it got destroyed in the winter from the effects of the salt on the driveway, and my perennials are popping up nicely from their wintry slumber. I can't wait for my lilacs and hydrangeas to bloom. So, life ain't bad right this minute.

Cindylou
Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 AM

Well, the neurosurgeon's office called on Friday morning and canceled my appt. for next week. They said another nurse would call to reschedule it, but no one ever called me back all day. I called them and again they said someone would call, but, alas, no one ever did. So....I will have to call them again first thing tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Default child care?

Wow CL that's taking on something that might jeopardize your spine quite a bit. I know how that is to not want to let anyone down re that kind of support but maybe sooner than later would be a good time to just discuss the possibility of someone else helping out so your dil can be aware of how you've really been doing and how you might do..

I worry for your neck greatly with this responsibility esp. if the baby weighs 8 plus pounds...
Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 PM

CL,

I don't mean to tear apart an entire profession but what is wrong with these people? Where's the follow up and/or compassion? There's nothing more I can say.

Just yesterday my daughter-in-law told me how she was trying to get an appointment with her doctor. There's a 2 month wait. Anything else, she either has to go to urgent care or call daily for a cancellation. Other than for yearly checkups, we need our doctors when we're sick. Unfortunately, we all could die while waiting 2 months. Why have a doctor at all?

Sorry, just venting!

Good luck in rescheduling, Dale
Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 PM

Well, no one ever called me back about rescheduling the neuro appt., so I called again yesterday, and finally got my appt. Out about 2.5 weeks. So then I called the neck doctor's office back to see if they needed to reschedule my surgery consult. But, again no one returned my phone call there. So I will recall them today, as I am sure the surgical doc wants the EMG test results on my right arm before we talk. I-yi-yi. I get a headache just trying to explain this. What a mess. Meanwhile, I just found out that the right SI Joint Fusion surgery which was initially approved ended up getting denied after my surgery. I just don't see how they can legally do something like that. Well, the office manager called them, appealed and finally won, with the exception of [b]the screw[b] used. So I have to pay $2,000.00 for a screw. So, there you have it. I sure don't like surprises after the fact.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Administrator

I don't understand how they can decline a previously approved procedure after the fact! There is so much about our system that needs to be fixed. Let's hope we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater when the system gets revamped. (6 month wait for MRI???)

Mark

PS... I think you can get a screw out here for about $150.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Default before paying for the screw

That doesn't sound right. If the surgery was approved even if it was after an appeal and the screw was an integral part of the hardware to be utilized it would seem that there would be a good arguement for payment there.

Now if the doctor wanted to use a screw that was not commonly utilized or perhaps one made of platinum or gold vs. standard grade screw material maybe I could see that getting denied.

Of course I agree w/Mark re the revamping of this whole approval/denial thing esp. as you mentioned after the fact.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 AM

CindyLou,

Yes, I would be asking, "Why me?"
You call and get an earlier appt or get on a waiting list. Two weeks is a long time to wait if you are in a lot of pain.
I know from working front office at one point, that docs have "frozen" appts for people who need to get in right away. Sometimes don't take "no" for an answer. My pastor gave a sermon a while back about stop saying, "If only" and I have been trying to avoid saying those two words.
I am going through trying times, too. And i feel for you.
This forum is like a community and I don't know what I would do without it. I haven't met you, but I feel like I know you.
You are strong. You will get through this.
BTW, you don't have Blue Cross do you?
Appeal and try to get them to pay for the screw. What was it made of gold?
Feel better,

K
Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 PM

Well, the reason I was thinking I should not appeal is because the office manager told me she had appealed and got everything covered but the screw. She said there were two other patients with the same healthcare provider as me and they did not cover the procedure for them. Only me, minus the screw. So, in a crazy kind of goofed up way, I do see her point about not wanting to rock the boat. If she tries again to get the screw covered, they may come back and deny the whole thing again. And I sure don't want that. So that's why I am taking the position of letting sleeping dogs lie....$2,000.00 poorer. This morning I woke up with major pain in my right hip. The trochanteric bursa area. Not sure what I may have done, but oh man, the pain woke me up in the middle of the night. It was really severe. I'm gonna ice it and see what happens. I did ride my bike a bit, over the last few days, but I can't imagine that would have stirred up such pain. Anyway, it should calm down with some ice. Hopefully no more than a couple of days.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Cindylou...did you ever get in to see the neurologist? What did she/he say?

BTW, if BC/BS covered you for a procedure, but denied the same procedure for someone else (in the same group insurance "pool"), they are in violation of the law...HIPAA rules around discrimination...

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany
Old 05-12-2009, 01:03 PM

Not yet. This Friday morning is my appt.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM

Ok, so here is what I think was going on with the exhaustion, and I am slightly embarrassed to admit it. I had major constipation. Once that got taken care of, I felt much better. Can constipation (it was bad) really make you that tired?? Seems to have made a huge difference.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:10 PM

You bet, as you are full of toxins, right? That's why we need to get rid of it