Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss SAS-11 - Spine Arthroplasty Society's annual congress in the Main forums forums; Actually, SAS is now ISAS, or the International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery. I think they wanted to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Default SAS-11 - Spine Arthroplasty Society's annual congress

Actually, SAS is now ISAS, or the International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery. I think they wanted to broaden their appeal and not focus only on motion preservation.

Following my ADR surgery in 2002, I attended every SAS meeting and NASS (North American Spine Society, with the largest spine congress of all) meeting for 6 years... 2003 through 2008. With the onset of more severe problems, my cervical ADR in April 2009, and the thoracic problems I've had since the summer of 2009, it has been more than 2 years since I've attended one of these meetings.

I'm happy to say, that I'll be headed for Las Vegas on Tuesday for SAS-11. I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate the long days, but I think I can. Not working on the computer is huge. The varied activities... lots of walking in between long sits... I think I'll be OK.

The program looks great. They don't have the final program online, but here is a draft schedule:

ISASS.org - Conference Information - SAS11 Las Vegas Scientific Program

These meetings are incredible. I hope I can write about it... we'll see how I do. Wish me luck,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Default re ISAS

Mark,
Glad you're going to make it there this year. It sounds incredibly interesting even if you're just partially able to attend.

I wish I had your sitting abilities.. I do miss everything that long periods of sitting allows for even though I have been able to increase my sitting time it still is not what I'd wish it to be however I am pleased w/overall pain reduction and abilities.

Will be looking forward to hearing about however much of the conference you're able to attend and share (came back to edit this part of the statement as I just remembered what you stated about using computer/keyboard exaccerbates pain). Hope your spine allows you to enjoy it all!

Last edited by Maria; 04-25-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM

HI Mark

Sounds like a great learning experience, Wish I could make it, Love to learn and listen to all the new and old, results and long term of ADR etc.

Take it easy and enjoy.

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 04-25-2011, 04:52 PM

Las Vegas hug? You sure there aren't any other reasons you want to go

Yesterday, I was doing my daughter-in-law's hair and would be standing on my feet, in one position for a couple of hours. I knew I'd suffer through it and pay the price. Julius suggested I wear my brace. What a difference. Almost no pain, no down time today (except my shoulders). I suggest the same to you. I know you don't want to depend on it but you'll be putting in some long days. If it gives you a little comfort - so be it. Just a suggestion.

Have fun, just not too much!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Wow... these conferences are so valuable to me, my clients, and the spine patient community.

I've tried to blog past conferences, with mixed success. See some of my past blogs at GPN Conference Blog page

It is so busy here it's tough to keep up, no less keep writing. I'm going to post here, then I'll likely duplicate my posts for specific topics that deserve their own threads.

Here is the first one... SAS-11 - Insurance changes, big news
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Administrator

SAS-11 Activ-C clinical trial to begin soon
Old 04-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Another great day at SAS. These conferences are so very valuable. One of the highlights for me was during the discussion after one of the lumbar sessions. John Sutcliffe of the UK had presented data on 3-level lumbar patients with 2 year follow-up. He had reported 13 of 15 patients with VAS scores of zero. (This is great, but maybe too great to be true?)

The moderator, Matt Scott Young of Australia asked about constrained vs. unconstrained prostheses. Sutcliffe's data was on Charite' patients. MSY has done a lot of Charite's. Sutcliffe noted (what I have been saying for years) that the so-called constrained and semi constrained prostheses all have limits that are outside the limits of motion imposed by our anotomy. "Frankly, I don't think it makes a damned bit if difference", he said!

Congratulations to Justin Averna and his Spine Patient's Society. He's taken this to a high level. This is the first time I've seen a booth at a surgeon's conference for society that is by patients, for patients. It was manned by a client of mine that you should know. For those interested in SI issues, or just have too much time, hers is an amazing story:
I met Dr. Stark yesterday.
My SI Joint Fusion Surgery is coming up fast!
SI joint dysfunction? Dr. John Stark
Finally got the thumbs up for cervical injection!
I'm happy to say that she still hasn't had a hip replacement. Neither of us is pain free, but are both very happy to be how we are now compared to how we have been in the past.

Here I am with CindyLou at the SPS booth.

It's been tough getting through the days here... Way too much activity for me. But, I decided to med-up and go see Blue Man Group. What a spectacular show.

More tomorrow.

Mark
Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Friday was really tough... I've far exceeded the activity level that I can handle. I attended several sessions, but felt bad about the endless squirming and had a very tough time concentrating. I'm still way, way worse than normal.

There was a great lunch session that included a debate style discussion between Rolando Garcia and Rudi Bertagnoli. It was very informative and VERY entertaining.

I was able to snag 5 extra conference bags that include the final program and the full abstract book. These were VERY heavy... I had to check an extra bag ($$) to get them back. I'll be adding these to the lending library. The first 5 people who request them will get the bags and get to keep the books if they wish. But... they must be willing to loan them to future recipients, who will be required to send them back when done. Everyone who receives them, should post about the materials and what they got out of them.

I was also able to snag the presentation DVD from SAS-6 (2006 Montreal). This is an amazing resource. Most of the presentations are available in a multi-media format with the presenters slides synced with with the actual audio from the conference.

I'll post more details later... I still must recover and catch up.

Mark
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to Keano16 Send a message via Skype™ to Keano16

It seems you are having a great time there. My wish is to come one say, but its not around the corner

2005 - 2012: Rich personal experience with spinal disorders and various treatments (surgical, therapeutic, diagnostic)
Co-Founder: Vertebris Internationl Spine Hospital
Founder: Spinoteka - Society for Spine Diseases
Old 05-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Mark,

I'm actually thrilled, that despite your pain, you were nonetheless able to participate, something I could have never done when at my worst. Paying the price just comes with the territory, unfortunately. The information you attained and that debate - priceless.

Keano,

Everything is just around the corner. It's the length of the blocks that kill us!

Dale