Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Shoulder Blade ache that makes me wanna kill myself!!!! in the Main forums forums; Hi, If I am forced to deal with this shoulder blade ache for the rest of my life then someone ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 03:21 AM

Default Shoulder Blade ache that makes me wanna kill myself!!!!

Hi,

If I am forced to deal with this shoulder blade ache for the rest of my life then someone please kill me before I do it myself! This ache is relentless and it intensifies when I cough or when I sniffle too. It does not seem to rear its ugly head when I am busy with activity or such. When I sit or stand still foe very long it is there in such an agonizing way I can't stand it. It is my left inner shoulder blade and I am at my wits end with it!! I went to the neurologist Nd had a cervical emg done and I have a trapped ulnar nerve that has to be released by surgery. So I have read that it can cause inner shoulder blade pain and am praying to GOD that it helps relieve this ache. I guess I had double crush syndrome since I had this nerve (c8) entrapped in two different places. I will get the surgery on may 31st. I cannot live like this anymore and I am so stressed out and worried that the 3 level adr was not successful and that the c8 nerve root is sti compressed that it makes me sickto thinkabout it. My neurologist sId wait and see what
The ulnar nerve surgery does and then a myleo ct is next.

Mark, I have not forgotten about the pics either! I have just finished my semester at school and will be emailing them to u for u to post. Life has Been so hectic latley and to do it in pain just makes it harder.I feel like Dr. Clavel did a good job and he reassured me that he thoroughly decompressed the c8 nerve root since he knew this was the herniation that was causing me all the problems. He said they took extrA time cleaning it out and decompressing the foraminal openings before placing the m6 disc. My mind is racing about thinking I may have a entrapped nerve somewhere else from the trama had during the weightlifting accident where I injured my c7/t1 disc. Maybe a subscapular nerve or TOS or brachial plexus injury. Also a long thoracic nerve entrapment or something. I feel like I can rub it out sometimes but I have it rubbed so hard I am bruised afterwards (girlfriends hands). So I just don't know anymore or where to start if the myleo shows nothing. I could just kill myself as I am not accustomed to this type of unrelenting pain. It has emotionally and physically exhausted me. I am so glad I finished my semester At school... But I will be starting the RN program in august and don't know if I can pull through those 2 years with this pain. I am just venting and fusterated so I apologize for the post as I k ow there are others much worse than me. I have to find a solutionto this or I am going to go crazy and just finish myself off. I have had broken bones facial fractures, stitches, staples, other surgeries and a whole host of injuries and I have never had to deal with this type of never leAve u alone pain before. Iam just at my wits end and needed to vent. Also may 9th will 5 months post. So any advice or words of encouragement would be nice. Thank you everyone for listening.

Jarrod
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 AM

Hey man, I know the feeling... keep your head up.

If the pain is at that level where its just exhausting you and is chaotic then you get a pounding... I hope they can clear it up soon.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:27 PM

Jarrod,

Vent away, complain, rant, use your 4-letter language skills - whatever. It's okay.

I know there is no comparison to nerve pain. It just is and it hurts. Usually, only heavy duty meds can touch it.

If another surgery has to be, then that's what you have to do but before going under the knife again, I would seek a second opinion, especially from Dr. Clavel. See what he has to say.

Then don't panic - it does sound like relief is possible so take a deep breath, which I know is hard to do - and then do whatever is necessary. You'll get there.

Good luck, Dale
Old 05-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Default nasty pain

That lingers and reminds us how miserable it can make us. I do remember echoing your feelings re my own pain at one time. Thankfully it's been a long time since I experienced that degree/type of pain. Good to hear the pain isn't as dreadful or present when you're moving but then again there's enough things we have to do that require a fairly still positioning and studying is one of them so concentration must surely be an issue.

Sounds like there's options, I do hope there are and that you will find the one that works best for you even if it is going under the knife again. I do wonder if there's a way for the entrapment to be released w/o surgery? Then again one does what they have to if it's the prescribed course of action to remove/remedy the prob.

Oh yeah, vent away. We all get it here.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Jarrod, I'm so sorry that you continue to suffer. One thing at a time though... if the indications are clear for the trapped ulnar nerve, you'll have to take care of that first. But, please explain??? Isn't the trapped ulnar nerve a local problem that is DOWNSTREAM of the scapular pain you are experiencing. How can it refer upstream?

Have you tried lidoderm patches? If not, you might want to ask your doc about them. The help me with the referred pain that is caused by the muscles getting tired from the constant guarding or spasms. As I understand it, there is almost no systemic value and the drug remains local, so there is little risk associated with them. But... always check with your doc... don't believe what you read on the internet!

Re: nursing school... work ahead while you can... I remember the enormous amount of memorization that was required of Diane.

I look forward to seeing your films.

Oh yes... take note of what flares you up and do what you can to avoid it. This seems obvious, but for so many people, paying close attention and making appropriate lifestyle changes can make a huge difference. (spoken by the guy who spent all day yesterday throwing zoey around... wrestling with her... no taking my own advice. I'm paying for it very severely today... really hurting badly.)

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 AM

Hi guys,

From what I've been reading inner shoulder blade pain is a common symptom of ulnar nerve entrapment, it either goes downward from the elbow or upward skipping the upper arm area (bicep,tricep )area. My neurologist said let's get through the ulnar nerve surgery first and see if it helps relieve the shoulder blade ache which it might do he said. My emg shows something in the neck region c8 nerve that is going on and I don't kno how to read the numbers on the test results so I guess we will tackle that after the ulnar surgery.

The weird thing is that my neck feels good, some pain with extreme flexion that mimics th shoulder blade pain but that's it. And I can mow the grass clean the house and walk the dog with no pain. When I go to study or watch a little tv or am sitting at work I am in agony, it is a knawing without mercy du ache that just sits on the inner left shoulder blade and never stops unless I lay down. If I knew my body was able to get use to the dull ache I could deal with it, but it just dosent seem to be able too. Also when I cough or sniffle upward (watch out as it lights me up ) and it definitely intensifies the ache In the shoulder blade.

I believe I am suffering from a double crunch syndrome of the c8 nerve which is the ulnar nerve further down the arm ( same nerve with an entrapment in two different locations) boy am I lucky. So I finished school today and I am ready to get to the root of this pain over the summer while I'm free. I am just so worried that as I wait the nerve is being compromised and hurt further..

I feel like my injury was a compression stress to the disc. Weightlifting 200lbs over my head is what hurt me and I know it seems like alot of weight but I've been lifting like that for 15 years so it was never a factor and I never had any back or neck problems so I just did it as part of my routine. Don't forget I am 6'3 255 lbs so I could move some weight around. So what I'm getting at is maybe if it's not the spinal nerve root that is compressed then maybe when it everything gave way I compressed the brachial exams or the long thoracic nerve or caused TOS. I remember having this same pain ache before surgery too. So my injury caused this. I pray that the nerve root is not the cause of pain, but Dr. Clavel reassured me that he did a very, very through job cleaning out and decompressing the c8 nerve root before placing the m6 disc. The myleo I hope will tell me the truth.

What are the odds that the disc that is left in onthe sides is causing me pain. It's that possible?? I know that when I herniated that c7/t1 disc the arm pain was unbearable (literally) I wanted to rub my arm off. My pain is not he same as that. So I just don't kno and I feel my road to diagnosing the problem is so long and tedious.. So thank you all for listi
Listening and I'll keep u all informed as any info is appreciated.

May we all find relief in the end!

Sincerely, Jarrod
Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 PM

im realy in position like you...
and im tired of fighting with this anymore.....
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM

As someone in pain, kudos for going to school with the pain. I just finished a long, long 5 years of mechanical engineering school after I was injured at work. Kind of wish I would have went the RN way though, recently became very interested that there are several spine clinics that use NP ( nurse practioner) to help diagnose, treat, etc. spine patients. That would be right up my alley. It is a growing trend NP certified in orthopedics and from there deal with the spine. If I could do something like that I would at least feel I could use my exp. with spine for some good, instead of feel helpless.

As an avid athlete my younger years I to have had many injuries. But none relentless as spine pain and I have never seen doctors seem more helpless. I want doctors who are aggressive ( not necc. with surgury) with diagnosis. The try this wait, is neccessary ,but we have to suffer in the meantime. As I have said in the past, when I had thyroid cancer and went to MD anderson I saw a real hospital ran. It was like the movies, I was so confident in them. It was nothing for them to request a second opinion of their own findings and there was no interoffice problems doing it. My records were online so that any doctor, anywhere could access the tests and diagnosis. I often talked to my doctor over the phone also, had personal number!! It was a well oiled machine, my friend. And all I had was thyroid cancer, I just sat there and laughed about the fuss they were making about it, because it was crap compared to years in spine pain. ( no disrespect to the other cancers, they are much worse and its a different ball game).
I have never been to a back place like TBI( texas back institute), but if they are that way with the spine count me in.

Good luck with school.

PS. Strongly considering going to get RN degree myself, but I need to get to work. When they told me I would never make it doing pre-med, due to my past grades from when I was young, I should have thought about nurse practioner, but didn't.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Default Rn,np

I was both. I found that getting thru the BSN program required endurance, stamina, and back when I went thru the program at UVA (univ. of va.) there was no room for persons that could not attend requisite clinicals, classes w/o deviation from the standard. I don't think back Disabled Student Resources was the entity that it is now if it even existed.

When I went thru my MSN program (MSN/NP) there was much more wiggle room re how I was able to attend my classes (sat in bean bag chair thru most of them/or lying on a table in Grad Statistics) and was able to not have clinicals back to back so had some room to recoup.

Working was another story. In the days of the RN in the past one had to first work a year at least on a medical surgical unit before going into a specialty. Then it seemed some years later Specialties were recruiting new grads but watch out with what specialty one chooses as I worked nearly every that there was and later ended up fascinated with Neurosurgery which was pretty brutal for my spine actually.

The VA system here in the states had the best mechanical assistance to nurses in terms of lifts and such (help getting adults out of bed, weighing them).

The last several years my father was in and out of hospitals showed me that not much had changed in terms of nurses/patient lifting except that RNs didn't have to do the lifting when there was someone else assigned to do it but could not always get out of it.

Full body lifting and transfers are not good if you've a bad back or neck or other bumm body part that might give out like a knee.

Nursing is a great profession I think in terms of opportunities and esp. now as there are many more positions open to someone other than working on the floor in the hospital. The BSN educational part I'm very glad I got thru before my back injury because I doubt I could have completed it anytime after that w/the pain/probs I've had over the years. As mentioned, MSN program much more accomodating. Could have something to do with political correctness these days as well (disabled/equal opportunity).

Good luck to anyone in pursuit of Nursing degree and/or position.

For those that have other other degrees and might still want to get into a position similar to NP there's the PA (physican assistant) programs.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:05 PM

When I think of my own road traveled, I must agree, the wheels turned slowly. Three months to get an appointment, another month to schedule tests, another month to get results, four months waiting for a return call until finally giving up and starting again with another doctor.

Though scheduled for surgery almost 3 months in advance, no one bothered telling me my insurance company failed to authorize the procedure and after all my presurgical tests at the hospital and getting myself in a good place for the surgery, with less than one week to go, my insurance company ultimately pulled the plug. I've heard stories of ins. pulling the plug with a day's notice.

Once I discovered ADRs, it took an entire year, and then only with Mark's help, to get my surgery.

I understand the agony of waiting both for a confirmed diagnosis and then treatment. All the while, you're suffering in relentless pain. It is such a waste of time. Would that it could be different, alas our worlds would improve.

Many spinal doctors know what is thought of them. It appears they care less about your pain than their egos. Don't know why, it just appears to be the way it is. But as I've said before, you don't want a new friend, you want a competent doctor - the emphasis on competent. Then you still have to wait it out!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:02 PM

My spinal surgeon's office won't even proceed with getting you a surgery date until your surgery has been approved by your insurance company. No last minute cancellations for that reason anyway. I have had a major surgery cancelled the day before for other reasons though.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Default Same here

Hi Jarrod, I m loosing control of hand function my c6/7 t1 is so bad. As you can see from my sig I have a three level fusion already. The DDD is worse!!! I have had to retype this reply a few times because I miss key letters. It doesn;t seem anyone can or will help me. My only hope is ADR and my insruance won't pay because it is not fda approved for multi level or with prior fusions. It seems like I ill be in pain for the rest of my life. I pray all of the time for God to heal me or take me. I wish I could pass on sometimes, but I have to think about my husband and family.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:44 AM

Cheryl,

Don't give up!!! I have shoulder blade pain thAt does not let up... But recently it has been better, bur still rears it's ugly head and let's me know daily it is there! I shoved 3 yards of rock over the weekend and had no pain, then I clean up and relax and within 20 min here comes that old familiar dull ache that never let's up.this keeps me busy so I don't have that ache.

Also my hand clumsiness and atrophy of the hand muscles is coming from an entrapped ulnar nerve that is part of a double crush syndrome. My cervical nerve root damage has caused my ulnar nerve to become entrapped or compounded a prior ulnar nerve issue that requires surgery onmay 31st. I pray it takes away this shoulder blade pain which from what I've read is a symptom of the ulnar nerve being trapped. So much fun I cannot stand it!!

In all seriousness please keep ur head up and kno that betterdays are coming, I have you in my prayers and hope ur suffering ends soon, I have read ur posts and cannot understand the insurance companies and their policies. My BCBS would pay for a 120,000 dollar 3 level fusion that would eventually require another one and more money instead of paying 40,000 dollars for me to have a 3 level m6 ADR in Barcelona, Spain that might very well last my lifetime and require no more surgeries. It is a very ass backwards system we have here in the U.S.. I wish the very best and hope and pry you find relief in some form, you are not alone!!

Sincerely,
Jarrod
Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM

Hi Jarrod

I had Ulnar Nerve transposition surgery last year and still have numb fingers. Not as bad as before surgery and my hand strength is back to normal,
Both hands have the problems and right hand still O.K.
My neck is also problematic and getting a new MRI soon

Hang in there it does get better.

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 05-25-2011, 05:57 PM

Gil,

I'm glad to hear the strength in ur hand is back to normal, that is what I am hoping to get also, my dr. Said I was past conservative treatment as the intrinsic muscles in my hand are atrophing away, but the strange thing is I had no problems with this until I herniated the disc in my neck. The emg showed def problems at the elbow so I have to move quick on this. Having surgery on may 31st and I hope it helps relieve some of this shoulder blade ache I have.. From what I've read this ulnar nerve can cause in er shoulder blade pain as a symptom so I pray it helps. Wish me luck and be posting soon.

Jarrod

How long was ur recovery as my will be a submuscular transposition. My doc said about 3 months for the muscles to heal from being cut to tuck the nerve under them. So wish me luck I'm going in for surgery on mAy 31st.