Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Back on the Forum in the Main forums forums; Hello Everyone, I used to frequent the iSpine and other neuro disorder forums a couple of years ago when I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Back on the Forum

Hello Everyone,

I used to frequent the iSpine and other neuro disorder forums a couple of years ago when I was researching degenerative disc disease and later, recovery from spine surgery. I had a successful 3-level Prodisc procedure by Dr. Bertagnoli in Aug. 2003

I am so glad things have evolved since then. I am now dealing with multi level C & L-spine degeneration. I am sure that my level of pain management is going to take me to an OR in the near future. MRI studies of my C-spine show steady degeneration, stenosis, and osteophytes. My T-spine degeneration was diagnosed this summer after I decided to slam my head onto the pavement (bicycle accident during fundraiser).

Anyway, I have been reading many of your entries and hope that you find healing. This forum is definately the best place to start. I will be asking questions and supporting forum members as I make my journey through this spine disease process.

My best to you all.

Thelma
Old 10-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Thelma... I'm so sorry that you are again researching spine options. Your post prompted me to go back to see how long I've known you. I stumbled across some interesting tidbits. Your first email to me was all the way back in March 2003... long before I even dreamed of GPN. It was funny, a year later, you went to a very forward thinking doctor in Virginia... Michael Hasz... I had met him at a preceptorship for MISS in Arizona and had taken him flying!

Does he still wear teva's?

Again... sorry that you need to be here, but welcome back anyway!

I'm looking forward to your success... hopefully it'll be nothing as dramatic as a 3-level... If it was... you might be the world ADR champ!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-26-2007, 07:16 PM

Default VSI Since 2001

Hi Mark,

I have been catching up on this site and am sorry to read about Diane. I hope that she is on the mend and doing well.

I have been a patient of Dr. hasz since Nov. 2001 and still see him. During my preparation for my ADR he was looking for a way to watch my surgery in Germany. I later learned that Dr. Hasz and his colleages would start clinical trials for the Maverick. They started in Aug. 2003, but stopped due to poor outcome. I will not say anymore on this.

Dr. Hasz did a one level fusion at C5-6 using the Atlantis plate in March 2005. I opted for a fusion because it was for a single level and because my disc was abutting on my spinal cord. I had no idea that adjacent level disease would set in so soon.

I have also learned that I have 3-level DDD in my t-spine, but that pain is controlled better with medication. My cervical spine issues will need to be addressed soon. My balance problems have led to a bicycle accident, plus brain injury. Folks here now what spine promlems are, so I will not complain. I just need to make better choices.

I am so glad that the Prodisc C has been approved by the FDA!

Prodisc ADR L3-4-5, 08/2003 Dr. Bertagnoli
Failed Fusion C5-6 03/2005
Sarcoidosis
Old 10-27-2007, 04:06 PM

Default hey Thelma

Saying Welcome back sounds kinda weak tho it's nice to see you post again and I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances.

My neck went out last week badly and has been bugging me quite a bit so went to Urgent Care yesterday and have appt. with OSS on this coming Tues. I know I've got degenerative changes at multiple levels and osteophytes and some other "stuff" but have had few *episodes* in last 10 years~ it's a drag when having to attend multi level spine probs ~

Didn't have the ADR and fusion done yet re L4 and L5S1.. am worried about what would happen with L3 and also I have some T spine probs as well that have only several times really blasted me with such intense pain I couldn't breathe~ severe muscle spasm I would guess...

Anyway, please keep us posted on your progress~ because I know I'm multi level multi spine area mess I'm really interested.. thanks, Maria
Old 10-29-2007, 06:48 AM

Hi Maria...I hope that your flare up is just that. Thank your for your thoughtful post. You have been able to avoid major back surgery, which is pretty amazing with DDD. I wish you continued good health.
Thelma

Prodisc ADR L3-4-5, 08/2003 Dr. Bertagnoli
Failed Fusion C5-6 03/2005
Sarcoidosis
Old 11-01-2007, 07:49 PM

Default re my neck

Thelma,
I followed up for my cervical spine with a local OSS here in San Diego that I had seen for a surgical opinion on my low back (he recommended 2 level ADR w/Delamarter) and an xray showed that C4 vertebrae is moved backwards from the normal cervical curvature. There's DDD at multi levels and 3/4 is very degenerative ~ he said he thought I had an anular tear most likely that tore more with some event recently so hence my symptoms and spasms.

I'm to be careful to not further exacerbate the area and can come in for shot of Toradol before I go on my trip to Florida to see my father with my 3 coach plane seats as usual.

The OSS had asked me if I had the surgery that was recommended a few years ago on my lumbar area and I said "no" and he said "good, too many levels involved".

I kinda think if I had said yes, and it was successful he would have said "good" and if the results were bad there would have silence or the proverbial "well, you know how it is with multiple levels..."

I wonder if this is a long term effect of the Methadone ~ delusion of OKness...

Stay well and will look forward to your posts~ Maria

Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Administrator

In the past, we had delusions of grandeur. Now we have delusions of OKness...
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-01-2007, 11:00 PM

Sometimes I feel so stupid.

Both Maria and Mark referred to OKness. As something I've never heard of before, what was this, I wondered... a new diagnosis... another term for pain or lack thereof... what? So stupid me began to type this into Google, only to realize that even I'm amazed at my lack of .... wait, what was I talking about? Oh, yes, OKness. G-d I hope it's the Lyrica and not me.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 PM

Default don't feel badly Dale

New meaning to the old saying "I'm OK, You're OK"!
And sometimes I truly wonder if I am deluded into *thinking* I'm Ok...would that better be called Okidokiness?

Last edited by Maria; 11-01-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:56 AM

I get such a kick out of you guys! At least we all have some sense of humor left even if we have no sense!
And by the way Dale...I was falling for it too...trying to figure out what they meant, then I read your post! It is not the Lyrica in my case..found out today my insurance co won't cover it!
Guess it is just brain damage in my case!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 PM

Betsy,

My ins co wouldn't cover the Lyrica either but I appealed stating that the alternative Neurontin caused too many side effects and Lyrica's were reportedly less. That's all it took. BTW, for me, Lyrica has the same side effects just to a lesser degree. I'm now in the process of trying to get off completely and substitute pain meds.

Good luck, Dale
Old 11-02-2007, 11:26 PM

Dale,

I have tried neurontin before and the side effects were terrible. I was told that the side effects of lyrica were much less. If that is not the case I may not fight too hard to get it! I have lived with a certain amount of pain for so long, I think that if I did not feel it, I would have to check if I were still alive!

What king of side effects are you having with the lyrica? I had nausea and dizziness with neurontin to the point I was sick in bed...of course my leg felt better for what that was worth. I am just as bad with pain meds as the neurontin so I usually just try to deal with the pain. Doesn't make life much fun!
I hope that the switch to pain meds instead of lyrica works for you.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:32 AM

Betsy,

The worst side effect with both drugs is blurry vision... just a little better with Lyrica. As I'm coming off the Lyrica, my eyesight is about 50% better. My hope is 100% once I'm off it completely. Another is an inability to concentrate. I'm a bookkeeper and work with numbers... not a good thing when you can't remember squat. Again, after switching to Lyrica, I'd say this also came back about 50%. At least I was able to paint again, something that requires intense concentration. Thinking or staying a course also takes much longer. I can't remember the last time I read a book.

So yes, the Lyrica is better for me, but others have found it more beneficial. I'm just a side effect queen but now that my pain has drastically lessened, maybe pain meds will be better. We'll see.

I don't think you should dismiss it without trying for yourself.

Dale