Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Geoff's Blog - Alpha Kilinik L4/L5/S1 in the Main forums forums; Well it's a little early yet, but it finally feels like it is actually going to happen. Surgery is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 10:12 PM

Default Geoff's Blog - Alpha Klinik-L4/L5/S1 - ActivL

Well it's a little early yet, but it finally feels like it is actually going to happen. Surgery is scheduled for next friday (10/10). I kind of feel like the kid with the Golden Ticket to Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory (If that doesn't tell you something about back pain...). We know there are no guarantees, but we like our chances at the same time.

Below is the post that basically lays out my situation.

The smell of Munich in the Fall!

We decided at the last second for my wife and 10 week old to go along with Daddy. Our pediatrician gaves up the thumbs up yesterday....we got the passport and tickets today.....and most importantly, mommy is willing to take this on.

We have had more drama the last month than the previous 12 combined, which has not really added to the process. I awoke yesterday to massive back spasms (first time in a couple months). I actually found them amusing and comforting at the same time. It's time to get those little unstable pain producers out of there and replace them with Bbraun's best.

I am a typical type A and have spent hundreds of hours researching this stuff. I have read posts by Mark that predates his own surgery. I have not been good about posting a lot on this site, but I promise to be a source of information for anyone that wants to travel down this road....as many of you have done for me.

The Bionic Man - "We'll make him better than he was before...Better, Stronger, Faster"...well not quite but you get the idea

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-04-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:07 AM

Geoff,

You've certainly had an incredible year. May I wish you all the best of luck in your upcoming surgery. The next few days with go flying by as each hour drags by.

Please take care, and good luck to your wife with a 10 week old!

Dale
Old 10-05-2008, 08:10 PM

Thanks Dale,

We will be leaving tuesday w/ wednesday morning arrival. I will try to post wednesday or thursday.

Geoff

The Bionic Man - "We'll make him better than he was before...Better, Stronger, Faster"...well not quite but you get the idea
Old 10-06-2008, 12:05 AM

Default Good Luck Geoff and family

You are going to do great! I'll be reading!
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM

Default And Their Off !!

Well it's 4:45 in the morning and we are brewing coffee, feeding babies, and waiting for our dear Heather to come over and pick us up in about an hour. We will be traveling from Denver to DC...then on to Munich. We decided to get Logan his own seat...don't think we will be second guessing that decision any time soon. We are both in a haze as we were up about 2.5 hours ago getting packed and getting all last second preparations in place. Thanks again to everyone that has recorded their experiences and been so open with regard to what they have been through. Everyone I have ever asked has gladly given me their phone numbers and shared everything they could in order to give me better information, and to make the road a little easier to travel.

Geoff

Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Default I knew there was a reason to listen to Mark

I have read a few posts from Mark to not make your travel plans to tight. We decided to come a day early just in case something happened.....Well, we were supposed to fly through Dulles (DC) and get into Munich at 7 this morning.....We are at Nero's coffee shop in Heathrow (London), and it's 2 in the afternoon. We should arrive in Munich at 6 this evening. Enough said. We are exhausted. My wife and son are traveling like seaoned pro's. People were not really excited to see us get on the plane, but we received a couple of compliments as we got off regarding how good Logan was...just like his dad...or not.

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-09-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:57 PM

Default In Munich

After countless hours of travel...we are here. Testing at Alphaklinik tomorrow at 9am. Our intial impression of Munich has been very positive. We're hitting the showers and getting out to get something to eat.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 PM

Glad you made it! Good luck with the testing.
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Alpha Klinik Does Indeed Exist...Kind of

I tried getting on the Alphaklink.com website last night...and it no longer existed. I googled alphaklinik and got the ATOS website. As Mark has documented, this has been in the works for some time. As we arrived this morning, they were still removing some of the ALPHA signage. Speaking to the staff, the transition seems to be pretty seamless. Their desire is to expand, remodel, and market more aggresively. Fortunately, there is still a "guy" here named Zeegers, they've got plenty of Activ L's in stock, and there are no plans for the power to be cut off during my surgery. We are still slamming chocolate cappucinos and OJ as we fight the sleep/jetlag monster. I am about 3/4 of the way through the testing, and will post something (test result) I found out of interest later on today.

It's suppose to be 70 deg. today. Not bad for a fall day in Munich.

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-11-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:03 PM

Default They should call thursday sunrise to sundown

That's how long you should plan to be a the clinic on your test day. Let's go over what you get.

Strength and Muscle Recruitment Test:
Test lumbar strength via Medx (very interesting and relevant - measures your strength curve and ROM against averages of healthy individuals of same age and weight, then graphs your information in relation to. As you can imagine most back pain sufferers don't score very well here.

Muscle Recruitment/Nerve test - Compares firing order of paraspinal muscles on both sides of spine. In healthy individual, they should fire together and overlap on graph. When the system is mechanically compromised, one will be taking up for the other or not working at all

Meet with generalist and perform basic physical, ultrasound, etc....basically do you meet the basic health requirements to get this done

Meet with Zeegers to go over films and tests - "Yep those sure are black thin and painful...corresponding with pain dermatome patterns"

Bone density test

Anesthesiologist

X-Ray to give them a good idea of prosthetic sizing

Neurologist - Looks at you with a new set of eyes and provides diagnosis....Zeegers stated that he likes to use him as an unbiased second opinion.

Final meeting with Zeegers..."We feel like we have an excellent diagnosis...see you in the morning"

Tests not given that could have been...MRI, Discogram (deemed uneccesary)

Checked in at 0830...Left for hotel at 1945 (745 PM)

Lesson learned. Pack a breakfast/lunch/dinner...or send someone to get you some.

The staff and the entire experience was great today. Yes, the day was long, but that's a lot to fit into one day. I spent 2 hours with Dr. Zeegers today and about another 1.5 hours on the phone before coming to Germany. Not only does his reputation precede him, but he is accessible and genuinely caring regarding his patients. My wife sat in on the visits. She likes him, and today has really confirmed in her own mind why we chose Zeegers and Alpha.

Surgery will be tomorrow at 11:30....Zeegers told me to get a good nights sleep...I told him it was his sleep that I was concerned about

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-09-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:30 PM

may the force be with you tomorrow.
all will be down hill from here out.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 PM

Insist on discography before your surgery!!

We have just had a UK patient come back froma Zeegers surgery and he said no discography was needed and its not worked - - - - possibility of the wrong disc replaced -- - - - not like Zeegers but I don`t know the circumstances out there now with the "New regime" - - -saving money???
Best
Alastair
Old 10-09-2008, 06:59 PM

Default Discography

The discography was completed a few months ago. The results were very conclusive and reproduced my pain exactly. Dr. Zeegers saw no reason to do another. I was very clear with him regarding tests. I told him I would do everything he recommended. Seeing that the patient pays for everything here, I am not sure how ATOS/Zeegers is interested in anyone saving any money.

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-09-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Ah! Thats totally different -- - - we had a UK patient recently out there and no one not even Zeegers did disco on him -- - - I hope it goes well for you tomorrow - --- Friday is surgery day at the AK -- - been there done that
Best
Alastair

PS there is all this financial turbulance worldwide made me think moneywise

Last edited by Alastair; 10-09-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 PM

You have made great decisions. I agree with you no disco needed since you had consclusive one.

Will anxiously await post op post.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:56 PM

Geoff,

I want to wish you all the luck in the world. You have a great doctor and I love your line about sleeping. Starting tomorrow you'll be on the road to recovery

See you on the other side!

Dale
Old 10-10-2008, 07:36 PM

Default Cool Hardware

Well its, a little after 9:15 in the evening in Munich. I am laying in my room with my wife and son beside me. I will post more later on this evening, but the short story is that the discs I have now are much better than the ones they replaced. Zeegers words about those two discs after the surgery were "Pain, pain, pain" He was suprised that I was not more symptomatic than I was. I think I was that symptomatic, I'm just not one to show it as much on my sleave. My wife was probably the only one that understood where I was at from a pain perspective. Dr. Zeegers said placement was "perfect" and that things could not have gone better. That is obviously what we wanted to hear. I am still jet lagged and know I will be up for awhile. I will post again before going to bed.

Thanks for all of the prayers, kind thoughts, and encouragement.

Geoff

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-11-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:12 AM

I can't believe I am saying this but welcome to the other side.

Let us know more when you are up to it.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Default Settling In

Well, it's saturday afternoon around 4pm. I just got back from my first real walk. The abdominal pain (although certainly real) was not my problem. The issue was my continual reaction to the anasthesia. Until about an hour ago, anything that remotely looked like sitting or standing up turned me as white as a ghost. Now, I am feeling pretty good. I just took a walk down the hall to talk to a friend (I made on the test day) that received Stalif L5/S1 and Activ L @ L4/5. The first thing he asked me about was my back pain. I told him IT'S GONE....at least the pain that I knew. My bones feel sore, but I am not feeling the shooting pains down the legs, nor the knifing mechanical pain in my back. I received the surgical report from Dr. Zeegers this morning. It's basically his dictation during the surgery. I found it extremely interesting, as he is describing what he is seeing as he is going about his businees. For examply, he repositioned L5/S1 three times before he was satisfied with the placement. I told my wife this morning the same thing I shared with Mark a couple of months ago. "We went to the right guy for the right surgery." The rest is in God's hands, and we can live with that. I think under any other scenario, I would look back and what if things to death. It is so great having my wife and son with me. As I mentioned before, she had her doubts before we got here, but having lived through the last couple of days and seeing the quality of care we have received, she is so glad that we came. I know any of you considering something like this want and need the full support of your spouse/family. My 3 month old son has been a rock star here. He is loving Munich and Munich is loving him...and I cannot imagine not having them here.

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-11-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:32 PM

Congratulations on getting your first walk in, I think all of us Zeegers patients have done the walk down the corridor, met friends that we met the day before surgery.

I don't know if you walked back from the recovery room, or if they stopped doing that but that was very spooky.

I have got to think that either Monday or Tuesday you will be back at your hotel, and making brief trips to the gym?
Take it easy -- -- -- slow and steady wins this race
best,
Alastair
Old 10-11-2008, 07:13 PM

Geoff,

How miraculous for you but repeating A's warning.... SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE e.g. several short walks vs 1 long one.

A great big congratulations from the states.

Dale
Old 10-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Geoff... It's been great to read your blog and I'm so pleased that you were even up to posting on your surgery day! I always thought it was good that I had no internet access in the days following my surgery. If I had been posting my first few days... nobody who read about my experience would have gone!

Sounds like you are ahead of the game. I look forward to hearing more... I'll try to call tomorrow.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-11-2008, 09:08 PM

Default Thanks for the support

Ispine Gang,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I did do the shuffle from the operating room and spooky is a pretty good description. Thankfully, due to resources like Ispine, I was prepared for this surgery as well as for the recovery (as much as possible). I understood that this was a substantial surgery, and that my recovery would most likely be painful and slow. Anything more than that will be great, but I am not expecting miracles. I will continue to update over the following days. I am free to answer any questions to people that may be on the fence or just interested in the process.

Geoff

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-11-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:04 PM

Wow you are doing awesome!! Glad the pain you knew is gone - that must feel amazing!!

Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Default The three greatest pieces of plain dried toast bread I have ever had

Mark and Cheryl...thanks for warm thoughts!

For those who have been through this experience, you're probably laughing...for those that have not. It is Sunday morning. I have had nearly nothing to eat
since thursday evening. The doctors want your digestive track to be fully functional (from start to finish) before they let you eat normally. Hopefully, the gates will open today, because I am angry hungry. I thought that perhaps I would not have an appetite. Not true. This morning I was given tea and three small pieces of plain dried toast bread. IT WAS AMAZING, as much as dried toast bread can be. I met with the Dr. this morning. He told me I should live to 200 and gave me a clean bill of health. Grace and Logan should be arriving from the hotel shortly. We are going to get out and enjoy some of this amazing weather.

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-12-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:45 PM

Hi Geoff,
I think it's great to know that you have benefited from the board here and from my experience and that of Marks.

My surgery was 26 of July 2002, and I investigated ADR many years before that. I know that feeling when you walk from the recovery room and down the corridors and the pain is gone -- -- -- magnificent!

Send my best to Zeegers if you see him before you leave
best,
Alastair
Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Administrator

I just spoke to Geoff... I'm so happy that he and his family are experiencing one of those wonderful recoveries that we all hope for.

I look forward to reading of his continued success and hopefully some fun escapades around Munich before they leave.

It was great to hear that everything I've come to know and love about the AlphaKlinik is still there... Geoff is spending time with Zeegers, Blome, Baumbach and my favorite nurses and therapists are still there.

Great news all around!

Mark
Old 10-13-2008, 09:21 AM

Default I never liked Mondays....but today is different

Yesterday (Sunday) I had the drain removed from my stomach (that could not come soon enough). There's nothing like carrying a 32oz bottle full of blood/fluids from a surgical wound everywhere you go.

This morning, I was able to have a normal "movement", which qualifies me to be a human again in the world of food....and I took a 30 minute shower this morning. That's a lot of funk to wash off.

Anyhow, I just got back from the "control" Xray (make sure nothing has moved) and I should be called back upstairs in a few minutes to go over it.

Today is our 7th wedding anniversary, so we are definitely going to have some special family time today. Ironically, my birthday is 10/16 and my wifes is 10/19..so Munich is where all the parties are happening. We are thinking of moving the celebrations to July next year

It was great talking to Mark yesterday. He has been beyond instrumental in this process. We have not experienced any "surprises" here. That is a blessing when you are taking something like this on. I cannot say enough good things about the clinic or its staff...all top notch.

Geoff

Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 AM

I am laughing out loud about the food thing. I remember STARVING and Chuck actually called me in the hospital and I was complaining about that fact they wouldn't let me eat yet. He just said "Honey, something has to come out before it goes in". I had never actually spoken with him and that was our first converstion.

And yes that dried toast was great!!

Party like a ROCK STAR - you are doing awesome. Happy Birthdays.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Tuesday at Alpha....and the "Zeegers Shove"

Its tuesday morning at Alpha Klinik, and I am waiting to meet with Dr. Zeegers and get payment taken care of. I actually checked out of the clinic last night, which was a day early. Mark first suggested the idea when I spoke to him sunday evening. We were talking about how I was doing and Mark said (paraphrased) "have the nurses become your hotel staff?" The answer was yes. I talked to Uli (our favorite nurse...everyone's favorite nurse) and she said I should go for it. The Dr.'s were not overly excited. Zeegers explained that there was a formula for the days spent, but that he agreed that there should be no problem as I was doing so well. We went back to the hotel, and my son did not fall asleep until 6 this morning...What a great idea that was. Seriously, it was great being back with Grace and Logan.

When I was in Zeegers office with my wife yesterday, he had me get on the table to look at my incision. I moved gingerly getting on and off the table. He asked me what my problem was "Why are you moving like an old woman, you are fixed"...he then gave me a very hard and sudden shove to the shoulder...which he followed up with another shove. Grace almost fell over. He went on to say, mechanically you are sound, there is no reason to move like an invalid...except for the abdominal pain (which is considerable). We went on to talk for about 20 more minutes about the implant, how solid it was fixed between the vertebra (his analogy was jacking up a fire truck placing a rock between the tire and the ground, then lowering the truck back on top of the rock) He said, "try getting the rock out...your not going to be able to do so". Zeegers is pretty sold (as I would want him to be) on the Activ L's anatomic shape and his surgery making the disc nearly immovable. That's easier to hear than to believe, but I do believe it. He gave my wife a lecture about not being my mother or doctor and gave her a big hug. My wife started crying, thanking him for giving us our life back. He has taken a personal interest in us (which is unusual for world class surgeons, but I suspect not unusual for him) He always talks to my 11 week old son, and makes sure that Grace's questions/concerns are always addressed. I am so glad Grace came, because her eyes have been opened wide...not only to Alpha and Zeegers, but the entire world of back pain. When you are in it alone with your spouse, I don't think the spouse not experiencing the pain understands how insidious it is or how it affects the peoples' lives it touches. With her getting to know other families here, meeting Zeegers, and seeing the changes in me as my pain changes, she has a new outlook on things. She keeps saying how glad she is that she came.

I do want to clarify a few things, because I have been the one pouring over every post out there, searching for answers and hope...trying to find parallels to my own case and others that post of their surgeries. I am still in quite a bit of pain. I am moving like an old man. Their is a lot of tightness still in my lower back....but I feel 1000% better, because the type/quality of the pain is so much different, and psychologically, I believe that I am mechanically fixed. I feel it, and I believe it. Do I still have some nerve pain...yes. But each day it gets better. I guess I am saying this, because I would not want anyone to believe that you could go through a surgery like this, get off the table, and resume your life the next day. Because I know, that is what we would all hope for. I don't want someone to view my posts through rose colored glasses.

I am off to take care of the payment side of things.

Geoff

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 10-14-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:10 PM

Geoff,

What can I say, your posts are music to my eyes!
Dale
Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 PM

You are doing remarkable! I agree with Dale awesome to read!!
You know that I'm not rushing you but I'm just curious what are your plans for coming home.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Hi Geoff,
I'm absolutely delighted for you that things have gone so well, you are quite right though, there's one or two mental press ups to do to get your brain back into the mode of being "totally healed".

You have been been many years in pain, and you need to get your brain to think you are out of that mode.

Take your time with your recovery. Happy Birthday

Yes Zeegers is a terrific guy
best,
Alastair
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Default Plans

Thanks everyone for the encouraging thoughts. We are out and about today. Tomorrow is the final meeting with Dr. Zeegers...I think more of a formality at this point. We took some pics yesterday, will try to get them up today. Munich is such an incredibly beautiful city. There are certainly better reasons to come here than a back surgery. We leave monday the 20th. We are going to take the following days to have some family time and to see the sites. Grace wants the computer as I have become a "computer honcho" since getting here. I will post more later on today.

Geoff

Old 10-16-2008, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Geoff... great news... glad you are still ahead of the game.

Enjoy the Glockenspeil Cafe. Diane and I like the beer at Schnieder Weiss... also have reasonably priced authentic Bavarian food there. (If you walk through the gate on the south side of Marienplatz, it will be on your left - market square on your right as you start to head down Tal street.

Talk to you soon...

Mark
Old 10-16-2008, 02:05 PM

Default Final Payment....More to come

Final payment was about 25K Euros....This was less than anticipated due to:

No need for another MRI
No Discogram
Checked out 1 day early
Anesthesiologist was considerably less.

It's nice for estimates to be too high than too low. It almosts feels like a tax return. I am meeting for a consult with the physiologist tomorrow morning. We talked for a long time....I cannot wait to pick his brain. I still have not posted the pics, but we are heading out the door to get some lunch.

I will be posting later on today. I have had a lot on my mind the last couple of days, and thought that it may be interesting to a lot of you out there that have had or are considering this surgery.

Geoff

Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Pictures..

Went to upload them...having problem with JPG format. Says "this in not a valid image format" I checked the size...it fits within parameters for JPG...

MARK.....Help!!! or anyone else with ideas please private message me.

Geoff

Old 10-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Geoff... email pictures to me and I'll put them up tomorrow. I'm still in Toronto at NASS... great conference. It has been wonderful to read about how well you are doing.

We'll talk soon... all the best,

Mark
Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Ripe to Heal....So long from Munich

Well, it's sunday night and we will be heading home tomorrow. We will be flying directly from Munich to Denver.

We have had a wonderful week in Munich. I cannot say enough about how beautiful and historic the city is. As Americans, many of us have barely a rudimentary understanding of our own history, much less that of the rest of the world. We certainly plan on coming back sometime in the future.

Before I go on about how I am feeling I want to share a few things:
We all know what we bring to the party (the surgical table) before we get there (physically/emotionally). If we are bedridden beforehand, then we will have a harder/slower time coming back. I did everything I could do to prepare for this surgery. I worked with a sports physiologist, go my body fat % to single digits, and tried to leave no stone unturned. I knew that this guaranteed nothing, but I thought it gave me the best chance, and was my way (and continues to be) of dealing with the stress and anxiety that I have faced in this ordeal.

I feel great! I have been walking 5-7 miles a day since tuesday. I was not trying to set any records, but it feels great to move...certainly better than sitting or laying in a hotel room. Dr. Zeegers is in agreement with everything I have done...as long as my body is tolerating it. My body is not only tolerating it, it is basking in it. At the end of the day, I am tired, but not hurting. My abdomen is almost without pain (itchy though) and my back muscles are getting stronger each day (especially noticeable the last two days). I am nearly off all meds, but when I am feeling sore I take some heavy duty advil. I have noticed even today, that I am moving much less tentatively (ie, getting in and out of bed/furniture. My sitting tolerance is exponentially better than before the surgery. I feel 1000% better a week after this surgery, than after a one levle micro discectomy. That's how I know my body is ripe to heal. There is a big gap in understanding between surgery and rehabilitation...so much so, that I have looked at going back to school to get my Phd in physical therapy. Most of the people I have worked with are yahoos. Unfortunately, they are the same type of people that have jaded many on this site. But, this is not something you can just do, and then hope for the best.

Anyhow, I will not be doing anything outside the parameters of Dr. Zeegers or the physiologist suggestions, but I am really excited/thankful for this entire experience.

Well, we have things to do. I will be e-mailng Mare a couple of pics. I will keep people updated periodically as things progress....Seacrest Out!

Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 PM

Default amazing

I can't imagine it would be possible for you to feel any better than you do at this point. 5-7 miles a day is amazing. Your doing awesome. Good luck to you and your family on the plane ride home.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 PM

Default Home sweet home

We stepped in the front door about 40 minutes ago. The wachine machine is running and we are about to get in the shower. The flight was not bad at all. I made sure that I stayed plenty mobile due to DVT considerations. What a great trip...0 regrets/excited about the future.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Administrator

Geoff.... you posted just as I was typing this reply....

WELCOME HOME GEOFF, GRACE, LOGAN! It's so wonderful to read that your 'best possibe' type of recovery continues. I look forward to skiing together!

As promised... here are the photos you sent. After you recover from the trip, I'll show you how to put them up yourself.

All the best,

Mark

Last edited by mmglobal; 10-21-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 AM

Default Welcome home!!!

Keep us posted on your recovery.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 AM

Hi Geoff,
I'm delighted that you're making such a good recovery, it just shows that the people who take notice of what the experienced ADR members say pays off

That was brilliant that you got your fats down to almost 0 and got really fit before you went for your surgery. I spent a year getting my BMI down before I went to my surgery and it paid off big time.

I'm a bit alarmed that you're walking up to 7 miles a day, I hope you're breaking them down into small portions -- -- -- that's the secret of recovery.

I'm looking forward to your postings when your home back in the USA
best,
Alastair
Old 10-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Administrator

3 weeks tomorrow... time for an update???
Old 11-01-2008, 06:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

Excellent story. Keep up the good work!
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Default 3 weeks

It's hard to believe it has been 3 weeks already. Right now I am focusing on healing and getting back into shape. If you have read my blog at all, you will know that I believe that managed activity promotes the healing process (blood flow to area/bringing muscles back online/strengthening atrophied tissues). I don't believe that lying in bed or sitting on the couch will do anything other than lead to more dysfunction. I could not be happier with my decision to move forward with the surgery or more encouraged how my body is responding. Feel free to message me with any questions.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM

The secret in the above posting was "Managed Activity"

Keep at it Geoff
Best
Alastair
Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Default photos

I just happened to up in the wee hours of the morning (fell asleep too early) so perusing the forum a bit and guess I hadn't seen these photos before ~ Geoff, really cute baby photos and nice family photo of you and the wife (and Dr.Zeegers)!
Old 03-14-2009, 02:54 AM

Default Update March 09

Things are going well out in Colorado. No doubt glad that I had the surgery. I am still dealing with some nerve issues (bi lateral, especially upon sitting). I am not really sure whether they are healing from the surgery or facet related at L4/5.

Dr Chad Prusmak is the head Neuro for the Denver Broncos and did my Micro in 07. He is a super progressive/good guy and wanted to do all my follow up after Zeegers surgery. We work out at the same gym and he always has a few questions for me when I see him. At 3 months he did the xray review and stated everything looked great and after measuring the movement on the flexion/extension xrays said things looked to be moving well. I will be meeting him on the 25th to go over a few things. Although my facet issues at l4-5 were deemed minor, I do have bi lateral synovial cysts there. I asked Chad about them at 3 months and he said they may or may not be symptomatic and that he would not be suprised to see to see them improve. I do not have the classic facet symptoms, but am going to propose aspirating them and shooting them with a steroid. We'll see what he says. He has always been suprised with my level of interest and knowledge. He stated that I am one of the most intense patients he has come across. I have an anular tear at L3/4, but the disc looks fairly good, and a lot of guys my age have asymptomatic tears. It did not rear its head on my disco last year. I figure go til it blows...or go till they can shoot it up with a fibrin based injection.

I have been doing really well in the gym. I am working with a guy that trains professional athletes doing high level functional training. He has been "intrigued" while working with me. He says that my learned motor movements after my back injury occured have definitely changed my normal movement patterns and that although I am strong in certain areas, that my functional strength in chain movements is very low and makes me susceptible to injury. He stated that its amazing how when you get people moving correctly again, how much better they feel and how much better a position the body is in to heal. He has had clients that were able to put off total hips/total knees/ and back surgeries. It really makes you think about the cascading affects of back injuries on the other tissues in the spine. I'll keep everyone posted of anything of interest.

Geoff

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 03-14-2009 at 03:02 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Had someone write me a couple of days ago, and I spent 90 minutes on the phone with him last night about my experience and questions. The back is great. I work out 3-4 times a week. On the bike 100-225 miles a week. Did a one day ride last summer called the triple bypass (14K feet of climbing/130 miles) no problems. Fly out to N. Georgia next tuesday for 4 days of riding w/ friends.

Logan is almost 3, and as healthy and vibrant as the day is long...and his brother turns 1 tomorrow....both a blessing from the Lord.

Back pain (in many cases) certainly does not have to mean an end to active/vibrant life. Special shout out to Mark and Dr. Zeegers....forever in your debt.

Geoff

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 07-04-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 AM

Just wanted to add, that I am not on here a lot, but my PM's are linked to my e-mail address, and I certainly will answer any questions that I can. I think the world of Mark and his services. As I mentioned in prior posts, his knowledge, experience, and genuine/caring persona makes the decision to hire him a complete no brainer IMHO.

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 06-13-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 AM

Default amazing

How great your spine is and glad to hear it~ thanks for updating!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 PM

Default Update

I'm going to keep this short, but plan on coming back later to expound.

The short story is that I am doing awesome. I still work as a firefighter (Captain).....I have 2 little boys and 1 on the way (due June 3rd/another boy), am in the gym 3-5 days a week, coach my oldest's soccer team, and raced (in an actual bicycle race) for the first time since 2005 2 weeks ago, and felt great.

I want to post more about this later, because I think there will be some great "lessons learned/trading of info", but I have had bilateral hip scopes over the last 2.5 years for a condition called Femoral Acetabular Impingement (FAI)...which my orthopod MD believe caused or rapidly accelerated my back issues, and also contributed to pelvic dysfunction. It's been a long road back, but I feel fantastic. I do (as does my wife) pinch myself day to day (never forgetting where we've been), feel blessed, take great care of myself, pick my spots....and forever remain thankful to Mark Mintzer and Dr. Zeegers.

Attached is a family pic...a little dated (about a year and a half)....but a very happy/healthy family
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finley-Fam.jpg (103.9 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Firerescuefin; 05-24-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Geoff, thanks for the update. Great news about your back and congrats on the new baby coming!

I'm so glad you were able to get back to work. While many of us get a complete recovery, getting back to such a demanding job is a blessing.

Take care... keep it up!

Mark
Old 05-28-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
Geoff, thanks for the update. Great news about your back and congrats on the new baby coming!

I'm so glad you were able to get back to work. While many of us get a complete recovery, getting back to such a demanding job is a blessing.

Take care... keep it up!

Mark
Thanks Mark...As I mentioned in the previous post...I pick my spots now ...and stay on top of strength and mobility daily...kind of like maintaining a vintage race car