Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss L4-5 & L5-S1 Chartie Stenum - kc0iet in the Main forums forums; KC, Remember me. I was in Stenum when you had your fusion revision. I was the one that had the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Default Dvt

KC,

Remember me. I was in Stenum when you had your fusion revision. I was the one that had the substantial DVT in 9 ? places of my iliac / femoral vein. It was a very difficult time. But I have had great improvements. I still wear a knee high stocking and get some swelling but it is greatly improved. I spoke to Mark and it is fine if you get my number from him and call me to discuss. Some of the things that seemed to help are:

* healthy diet
* lots of water
* try some pycnogenol bark tablets
* lots of walking - I know it hurts
* of course I believe in lots of prayer which I will be doing for you

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/8/09 Piriformis surgery for sciatica and cramping
Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Smile Hello All My Spiney Friends!

It has been sooooo long since I have been on the forums that I forgot where all of them are!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and give you an overdue update.

It has been two years since I was in the hospital for my last pair (the 6th and 7th) major spine surgeries! I am doing really well. I still have a lot of health issues and am now hopelessly addicted to Fentanyl but rarely take any other pain meds and have NOT used my wheelchair since I got home from the hospital (July 2009). Thanks to the DVT's between surgeries in 09, I will always have to take Coumadin and keeping the levels where they need to be is a challenge...

But - I am about to take on another huge challenge. I'm not sure if I am ready, but I got in to Law School! I will be moving half way across the country, alone, and embarking on the most challenging academic pursuit of my life! Your prayers and positive mojo would be appreciated. I have been working towards this goal ever since I have been unable to work. I am both excited and scared ****less! Without further complications or delays, I will be 50 when I take the Bar Exam!

PS - Mark, did you change your email address? I've tried many times to email you. My prayers continue to be with you
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Default re age

Hey Kc..
I remember when I was thinking about going to law school and how old I'd be when taking bar exams (back then I was nearing 40y.o.) and a friend said "you're going to be that age anyway".. so true!

Such exciting progress you've made and while medicated! I stopped taking Neurontin last August and have finally felt like I can think again tho the last few years on it seemed to really make my mind sluggish. Probably just wasn't bothering to try to think!

I don't know any docs in the area that you're relocating to however you're probably going to want to try to locate a good Pain Management doc to prescribe for you vs. a GP. When I relocated I tried to get a 3 month supplie of meds as it took me a while to find someone to prescribe for me (when I moved out of state).

Good luck w/everything and please keep us updated!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Wow KC,

I'm jealous. I was about 40 when I thought of going to law school and I'm sorry I didn't - and I would have taken the bar exam before 45.

So to you I say - good for you!!!! Gutsy move but after what you've been through, a walk in the park, which is difficult enough.

And of course, glad you're doing well enough to even consider it, let alone actually do it. I'm quite impressed. I know you'll be inundated with studies but please, please, keep us posted. Success stories give so many so much hope, even after initial bad outcomes - Please

Dale
Old 05-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Here is a picture that Janet sent me in August of 2012... she was just about to start her second year of law school. As mentioned above, when she returned from her surgery with Dr. Coufal, she put away her wheelchair and never used it again (until law school.) The demands of having to cross a large campus quickly carrying 50 pounds of books were too great, so she brought her wheelchair to Houston and it allowed her to stay in school.

These pictures still bring tears to my eyes.

2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 05-07-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Administrator

I just spoke to Janet. Unfortunately, the report is mixed. Regarding her schooling, Janet "made it through the hard part" and got more than 1/2 way through law school. Unfortunately, she needed to return home to care for her ailing mother and is no longer in school. I can't tell you how much I admire her ability and drive to have gotten that far, and her priorities for putting family first. Way to go Janet.

Warm Houston was good for her. Unfortunately, her pain syndrome reacts pretty severely to cold weather. The Missouri winters are really, really bad for her. In any case, she is still on a medication level that is a fraction of what she needed following her two botched Stenum, Ritter-Lang surgeries. She bought a recumbent trike that she absolutely LOVES and, in spite of the harsh winter, she has over 500 miles on it.

Her leg still gets pretty swollen from the DVT, but it doesn't hurt her nearly as much. You don't want to be having a long anterior revision surgery if you can avoid it... I've seen many, most OK, but there can be problems. That's why you really need to be with a careful, competent surgeon... make sure it gets done right the first time!

So, even though the news is mixed and her life could be much, much better; she is still a thousand times better than she was.

Hang in there Janet!

Love,

Mark

2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Default re report

Mark thanks for updating on Janet. That's just incredible re the law school endeavor and even more so having gone back to take care of an ailing parent. Both photos of Janet are great~ congrats on the recumbent biking and doing as well as you are now Janet with all that you have going on! Would love to see you post here again if you've any free time or inclination to do so!
Maria
Old 05-09-2014, 02:11 AM

Cool Hello All!

I know, it has been forever since I have been here - sorry…

I was so glad to hear from Mark yesterday that I decided to check in. This month is proving especially hard for me as I would be graduating from Law School this month I was exactly half way through, and on the Dean's List when I left.

Anyway… how do you like my trike?? I guess I just like a challenge LOL. Climbing hills is MUCH harder and slower when you cannot stand up on the pedals LOL. I got the trike 9/27/2013 and ride every chance I get. That has not been much this year since the furnace was still kicking on LAST WEEK! The cold REALLY sets me back. In fact, I left my bed only to go to the doctor for meds from January through May. Hopefully I will bounce back quickly now that winter is finally over! But it is depressing to know that once the cold returns - I must return to hibernation. Unfortunately I put a quite a bit of weight back on over the long winter in bed. I was quite happy tipping the scales at 105# before winter - not so now!

I am still on Fentanyl and Percacet, but much less. During warm weather I was doing very well. I purchased a recumbent trike to further my rehabilitation, and did quite well with it until winter. During cold weather I must either stay in bed or take more medication. I am still unable to sit or stand without a significant increase in pain. I can only find comfort in a near zero gravity position. I cannot sit on the couch long enough to watch a TV show or sit at the table for a meal. But if I sit in my only acceptable position (in my hospital type bed, or on my reclined trike seat) I can sit as long as I want to. Still hopeful that more exercise will increase my strength, stamina and pain tolerance.

Thanks for keeping everyone posted for me Mark. Maybe some day I can ride my trike to CA to see you LOL.

Last edited by kc0iet; 05-09-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Default re the recumbent trike

I too had one when I was living in Florida and while I found the position better for my low back or tailbone I should say I also found that pedaling up an incline was much more difficult because my quads were really put to work and thus also there would be more strain on my lumbosacral area so in turn I had to ride on pretty flat terrain in order to have a pain free ride or one that didn't create pain.

When I moved back to CA while I would have had a great bike path to ride my trike on down by the beach I had no where to store it and I could not even carry my 2 wheel bike upstairs to my apt.

I was also going to mention that while living in Florida was great during good weather when the humidity got full blast there my everything hurt so bad like my hands, my fingers, thumbs, my neck, my back... I mean I could hardly stand it! It also rained there every day at some point during the summer and I would feel intense pressure in my low back until the rain started then it the pain would lessen. Of course that was when my back was much worse and I had all kinds of pain. Fortunately I was getting ESIs at the time as well as being on the same dose of opioid medicine that I remain on to date.

I too have gained weight in the last 2 years but not because of my back as I actually started to walk quite a bit back in 2004 but a bilateral case of posterior tibial tendonitis in both feet has slowed me down quite a bit so I too have gained about 15 lbs and was weighing just what you were as well! Can't even pedal my bike as that exacerbates the condition so am thinking of getting an electric bike and hoping that I could pedal it and stop when my feet start to hurt as the aggravation of pain comes on so suddenly (just like my back pain flare ups used to and occasionally still do)!

Will you be able to return to law school as some point perhaps? I hope so. I would not want to have to live anywhere with extreme temperatures myself (extreme cold/snow and such). I doubt I'd be getting out of bed either due to DDD thru out my spine and osteoarthritis thru out my whole body.

Anyway wishing you the best and hope all is well with your family. Maria