Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Getting ready for 3-level fusion, came up as a surprise! in the Main forums forums; Hi, it's great to find this forum! I had a rude awakening this winter with the sudden onset of ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 PM

Default Getting ready for 3-level fusion, came up as a surprise!

Hi, it's great to find this forum!

I had a rude awakening this winter with the sudden onset of pain in my left neck and arm and tingling along C6- down to my left thumb. Saw a spine ortho, XR looked like plain old degenerative cervical disease, went forward, celebrex every day, and got a little better at first. Unfortunately was not long lived, and became a "who knows what the day will bring" regardless of my activities or lack thereof!

Finally convinced him to order an MRI (under duress) and as soon as I got it, 3 months after symptoms had begun, whipped it out of the folder and almost threw up right there in the car! At it's worst, around C6/7, my spinal cord looks like a banana... how could I have not known something was going so wrong? No possibility for epidural- no room for the needle!

I consulted a Neurosurgeon who offered 2 options- surgery or not. My choice. BUT, if function is lost, may or may not be regained.

And, for the first time, got a thorough neuro exam, and low and behold, I was having weakness on my RIGHT side that I had been slowly compensating for without realizing it. Totally freaked out, it took me only 4 days to decide to fix this darn thing before I allowed anything else to go wrong.

After thinking about everything, I began to realize all the symptoms I had been having for quite a while that I had been dismissing and not identifying as related: Had had episodes of L thumb tingling on and off briefly for 5 years (maybe 3-4 times ever!). That one morning 2 years ago that I awoke and stretched and got such a severe pain in my left shoulder blade I couldn't even breathe, but just for one day. Chronic RIGHT hip and leg pain, dull ache, especially at night, waking me at night, ibuprofen no longer helping.... Thought I was getting old- that right index finger was really aching, and gee, my handwriting was really atrocious at times--- but I am a DR, so that was expected.... Surprised that I was getting so much better at opening jars with my left hand even though I was a righty... and of course that pain behind my shoulder blades.

I am writing this because I am a physician and frankly most of these little symptoms were so minor, so fleeting, such afterthoughts, occurring over 5 years, that it wasn't until I new what was wrong that I could put the very subtle puzzle together in retrospect.

I am not having surgery for the pain. Although I am uncomfortable much of the time, it's not horrible. But the disability, the inability to do all the outdoor things that make my soul soar is just such torture that I can't imagine a life with permanent loss of function.

I am terrified of surgery, terrified of not having surgery. Mostly grieving the loss of a healthy body- it's gone, and it will never be the same again. Also concerned about having a fiber-optic intubation... just seems so gruesome- if anyone has gone through it, I would love to hear about it from a patient's perspective!

So I have enjoyed reading so much of the posts and look forward to reading more.

Thanks for reading!

C4/5, 5/6. 6/7 degenerative cervical spine disease with stenosis, severe cord compression with atrophy
presented suddenly
Post Op for Anterior corpectomy and fusion of C5-7 with PEEK cage, discectomy and fusion C4-5 with PEEK cage and anterior titanium plate June '10
Old 06-24-2010, 04:37 PM

Hey there Supergirl,

Glad you found us but sorry you need us.

My first thought - a doctor fearing surgery - wow, you're human after all. If you think about all the surgeries you must have recommended yourself, and the postive outcomes that resulted, perhaps you'll fear the prospect a little less. You also must know that nerve damage heals very slowly, if at all, so doing something about it is a better alternative than doing nothing. If pain was the only issue, then waiting to see what happens is more of a viable option. When weakness and tingling are involved it becomes an easier decision.

However, have you considered an ADR instead of fusion? Are ADRs even possible in your specific situation. Perhaps a combination of both might be better.

But whatever surgery, I do wish you luck and I'm sure you'll do great.

Dale
Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 PM

Default surgery

Supergirl,
I was an RN,NP for many years and have overlooked many of my own symptoms that meant something though if were assessing a patient during a visit/examination would probably pick up on it right away and make necessary referrals/recommendations!

When it's ourselves oh well.. must be something "else"!

Sounds like you have no choice re surgical intervention however am wondering as well if you've gotten an opinion with regard to ADR vs. fusion multilevel?

Anyway welcome and wishing you the absolute best with whatever you do with regard to surgical intervention and please keep us posted if you're so inclined.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:40 AM

Thanks both for your replies.

ADR was definitely an appealing concept, but with the bulk of the problem being large osteophytes, my neurosurgeon will be working hard to decompress my cord. I was disappointed when I understood I wasn't a candidate and a bit stunned at what he initially suggested. He actually is a primary investigator in the use of the discs as well. Alas.

Luckily the images are quite clear and the cord compression is the only reason I am succumbing to this surgery.

Just got the call from the nurse today that all is set to go.

Any post-op food suggestions?

C4/5, 5/6. 6/7 degenerative cervical spine disease with stenosis, severe cord compression with atrophy
presented suddenly
Post Op for Anterior corpectomy and fusion of C5-7 with PEEK cage, discectomy and fusion C4-5 with PEEK cage and anterior titanium plate June '10
Old 07-03-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Post op food more

Hi, I found things that were easy and required little chewing were best. Soups, jello, Ice cream (yea). Bananas are good for potassium. Mike is great for fusion stuff. Prune juice, stool softeners, laxatives, yadayada to help with constipation. Keep things moving.

I think I wrote in another section a list of things to prepare for surgery...things you might want/need etc. Someone started this list and I found it very helpful. You'll want a grabber most likely. A big thing (after the six weeks wait for driving) I noticed was that when I didn't put the car seat way back, I would wind up twisting and really hurting myself. Now I always put the seat way back before I get in and when I'm getting out. Takes more time but saves on lots of pain. I got a great pillow to sit on in my car and also a lumbar support as I'm so weak with sitting.

Good shoes that slip on and off are really helpful. I now wear my froggies (what are those ugly shoes called) all the time. They are great and light.
I've gotten rid of most of my purses as they are all too heavy. Every little thing like this has really helped me...cleaning out my wallet, etc. Getting comfy easy to get in and out of pj's. Baby wipes for when I was too tired to shower (first week is noooo fun for this). Also when getting into and out of the car after surgery using a plastic trash bag under the seat can really help to move you easily.

Maybe you know all of this? If so sorry, anyway I posted this and other stuff in another section. I am about six months post op and it was the best decision I ever made to do it. I have a two level fusion front and back. I've started to hike in the last month. My brain is no longer obsessed with pain and panic attacks.

Best!

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 PM

dridobits-
Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Mike? You mean my NS? Good shot!

So I am post op day 3 and doing quite ok. The journey of healing had just begun, wish the surgery was the end!

Finally got to shower, feel much better, but a few tears of frustration along the way.

On just Tylenol today, which is great. Looking forward to not freaking out about breaking the growing matrix in my neck by looking the wrong way.

Family a bit disappointed my voice seems to be intact

The stuff I got to occupy my time.... all need to look downward, and alas I am in a hard collar for most of the time. Oh, well, maybe next month!

Cord was tightly packed, and the c6 on the left tightly trapped in the foramina, and he freed them up, so hopefully all the irritation will subside now.

Luckily I did not have to have the fiberoptic intubation, so two weeks of panic attacks for nothing, thank goodness.

Gave the residents an appropriately hard time, had to tell the goofy intern where to draw my blood, which of course makes for a good story.

I think I have the wrong handle though, should be bionic woman

Thanks for the supportive words.

presented suddenly
Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Bionic, super, they're both good! Welcome to the other side. And on tylenol after only three days - that a big wow . I have a feeling you're going to do great.

Dale
Old 07-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Default hey congrats!

Supergirl,
There you go~ just like your name! Glad to hear you've done so well post op and hope the recovery continues to be "all that!" Congrats!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:07 PM

Default On the road... literally!

Well, I am post-op day #6 and I think doing pretty ok.

No more narcotics since last week and just on Tylenol arthritis- that 8 hour formulation is fantastic as it lasts the whole night!!! My friend recovering from breast cancer told me about just before I had to stop all my NSAID's.

Got out for a walk and this hot swelteringly hot morning was able to do my 1 mile loop including the little hill without too much difficulty. At first the problem was more with the "bouncing" of walking too quickly, or too normally, but seemed fine today. As it was my first walk alone outside, took along one of my hiking sticks (that I started using with my knee injury and after surgery a few years ago) and I can feel like I have a little more stability if I were to stumble a little.

Little frustrated that the collar is going to keep me from doing all the things I had wanted to do this month- things related to looking down at a table in front of me! Will have to find other things and ways to do them. Doc wants my chin neutral and not down for the month, I agree!!

Didn't lose my voice either. Poor family. Just not as loud as usual- less volume.

Eating is not a significant problem- more of a dysfunctional swallow, little extra air, but not painful. Need help cutting my food as I can't see it well! Using extra water with eating to wash it down well.

We'll see what the next few days bring!

Thanks again,

presented suddenly
Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 AM

Default no more narcotics? That's freaking awesome!!!

That's amazing! I'm still on pain meds. Don't know if I will ever be off. That is so cool!!!!! Patience, patience, I remember it took a long time, and I'm still healing. This is special time, time to heal, time to take it easy, time to have other people do stuff for you. You go girl! Don't get discouraged, I was in such a fog for the first week, my boyfriend said it was scary to see me.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:27 PM

Thumbs up Post-Op day #14

So, I have arrived at 2 weeks and finally got a chance to see under the steri strips! Other than looking like a victim of a mugging gone wrong, the scar is fantastic so far. I am very optimistic! Got my silicone scar sheet on and ready to heal.

I got a little over excited after being able to sit at a table with friends over the weekend and spent a little too much time sitting altogether over the weekend, actually thought I could stop the Tylenol, but at the very least, I am down to just 16 hours a day on the "arthritis" 8 hour dose. Don't need it to sleep.

The post op numbness in my left hand has mostly resolved, just the very tips of my thumb and index finger remain. Not sure if due to the nerve root manipulation during surgery or the arterial line that was placed for the surgery...

Am very attached to my collar, find it reassuring as I move around and prefer to wear it as then I don't have think about whether or not I am flexing my neck too much.

I am blessed that sleeping has been wonderful. I found the with the collar, the ikea contour firm pillow which I found too firm pre-op is actually perfect now. Keeps me all strait and holds up to the rigid collar nicely.

Have been blessed with friends who come by to entertain me and walk with me during the day. I am up to 3.5-4 miles per day. At least I will have tone legs ready to go when I am cleared to hike and ski!

Thanks for listening!

presented suddenly
Old 08-08-2010, 02:41 PM

Default Moving along

So I thought I would post an update.

I am 39 days post op, had my first xray and dr visit. The spine looks incredible- he really lined up everything so nicely, restored my curve and instead of looking like a dilapidated tenement building, I have a beautiful spine again.... sort of, of course.

I can officially say I don't have any loose screws

I went back to work this week, and definitely had some pain progressing throughout the week. I guess I can't expect any different. I am at least pleased that when I get pain, if I sit back and relax my neck, it stops, so it is manageable.

I walk about 4 miles daily, and I think that has helped a lot with the muscles in my neck as even though I am still in the collar (see below), the collar is not actually holding up my head when I walk, my own muscles are, and I think that has contributed to a more active recovery.

Back to the collar.... of course he told me 4 weeks in the collar, and I was a bit surprised with 3 levels that was all he wanted, and sure enough he added 2 more weeks on. Which is fine with me, as it really is comfortable and a bit of a security blanket of sorts at this point. He didn't want me to drive with it on, but frankly the thought of not wearing it in the car is a bit chilling.... don't trust my fellow drivers, so I am very careful and I do have very good visibility and no less range of motion with the collar on- it's not as though I would be looking over my shoulder at the neck anyway. I have my little fish eye mirrors on my wing mirrors. I don't think I feel comfortable on the highway and most of my driving can be on single lane backroads anyway, which doesn't seem to need much neck turning. I twist at the waist and hips, as I started doing before surgery anyway as sharp neck turning was painful anyway.

My scar is a little over 3 inches long, but is healing really nicely. I have been using a silicone pad over it since the steri strips came off, and I think it is looking great. I found that the scar looked better the longer the pad was in place, instead of the numerous scar treatment oils and creams I tried. So I am committed to mostly using the silicone as much as I can. The color will have to fade with time, but it is not raised in the least and some small patches of it are even quite faded already.
The worst area is right over my apple where there is the most traction from speaking and swallowing.... dead center. Oh well, I bought a bunch of scarves...

Still on the Tylenol arthritis 8 hour. It varies that I take it 2-3 times, thought I was weaning, but then I seem to need it again. I am not complaining.

Taking all my vitamins, eating a healthy bone healing targeted diet. Only foods with nutritive value will pass my lips... well almost all of them, I do have a little treat now and then.

In case anyone is interested, after spending much time researching, these are the supplements I am taking:

Ca++ with Mag and Zinc
Vit D (I checked a level prior to surgery, and was just a little low, so am taking a slightly higher dose)
"Centrum Performance" multi vit- it has a bunch of the minerals that aid with Calcium absorption, including silica, boron, and a few others not in the other multivits- I read a lot of labels, and this one really seemed to be the one.
multi B50
Vit E
Vit C
iron
Lysine.

I usually don't do supplements. I figure, I will use all the help I can get. None are mega doses, just supplement doses. Remember- if you megadose fat soluble vits, you will overstore them and bad stuff can happen, and the watersoluble vits just get peed into the toilet.

Regards!

presented suddenly
Old 08-08-2010, 05:29 PM

Supergirl is doing super. Good job.

Know what you mean about the collar. It's like a sucurity blanket.

Regardless, keep up the good work

Dale
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Default congrats

Your update sounds like you've progressed along really nicely.
I don't blame you for wanting to have your "security blanket" on a bit longer!

All sounds so good that all I can say is I'm very glad to read your path with surgery and recovery has been so good and wish you a continued excellent recovery and future with your new improved cervical spine
Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 AM

Hello Supergirl!
I apologize for only just now reading your thread and so I missed the opportunity to offer support. But it looks like you didn't need it!
Congratulations on a successful surgery!!!

I am wondering if you could "graduate" to a soft collar which would be more comfortable, especially in the summer heat. I, too, wore the collar while driving weeks after I was told I didn't need it because I dreaded the possibility of another MVA jolting my neck. I don't remember when I gave up my security blanket/collar--I think I just forgot one day to take it into the car!

Once you are out of the collar, be mindful of your head position while talking on the phone! Headsets are probably best--not that I use one!

It truly is wonderful that you are doing so well and I hope you continue to recover arm and hand function--if you are going to have poor handwriting, it should be your choice!!! I hope you find (as I did) that an unexpected bonus of being a spine patient is a special added sensitivity to your patients!