Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss How long does it take for the SI joint injections to give relief? in the Main forums forums; Can anyone tell me how long it takes, approximately, to get relief from the SI joint injections? I am more ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 11:33 PM

Default How long does it take for the SI joint injections to give relief?

Can anyone tell me how long it takes, approximately, to get relief from the SI joint injections? I am more than ready to have them this Friday, due to my pain levels, but have to remember it won't be instant relief.

Thanks,

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 PM

I'm not sure what the SI stands for; but all the injections I have had, I was told instantly to 2 weeks for relief. Unfortunately, I was one of the unfortunate one's who never got relief. I hope this helps with your pain. I don't know how you do it, with all the different pain you are dealing with. I will be praying for you!
Best Wishes,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 AM

Hi Cindylou,
Ive had S1 injections twice, sadly the first time they didnt work, but I was told that they may well not as I had severe nerve compression for a lengthened period of time. I have them again 3 months ago for nerve impingement from scar tissue after my fusion and im glad to say that they worked straight away, as soon as I got up the sciatica in both legs had gone, the injections are still keeping the nerve pain at bay 3 months on, I get twinges every now and then but no where near as painful as it was, and I hope that they hold out until after my revision surgery, as they have been a godsend this time.
I wish you the very best of luck with the injections and hope that they are a success for you.
hugs
sarah
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Most diagnostic injections include a fast acting local anesthetic that should generate immediate relief and only last for hours, plus a long acting anti-inflammatory agent that may take days to kick in and then last for days or weeks. The different interval of relief tells the doctor a lot. (Remember... I'm not a doctor... take everything I say with a huge grain of salt... yada yada yada)

Success of the diagnostic injections depend upon your pathology AND the ability to get the injectant where they want it to go. It's possible to miss and it's possible to get an accurate injection and still get a false negative because of scar tissue that keeps the injectant from flowing as anticipated.

There can also be false positives from the injectantant providing relief from a location that is not the intended target of the injection.

While they are not perfect, they CAN shed a lot of light on our problems. Goot luck CindyLou... ask the doc about what you learn here. Tell us what he says.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 AM

The SI joint is the sacroiliac joint which is at the sacrum, the base of the spine, and the ilium. It can often be an overlooked source of low back pain. Thanks for the feed back. They are going to do it under floroscopy, so I hope they hit it dead on!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:37 AM

Good lick with the injections CindyLou.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 02-05-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks Phylly. I have been planted on my couch, it seems like, for the better part of this week. I get up to wash clothes, empty dishwasher, etc., and the weight bearing just drives me back to plop down. I hate my life right now. I am so sick of chronic pain. It just beats me down. And I am normally such an upbeat person, so that definitely makes me feel like I'm "losing." Perhaps this is just a day that the bear is eating me.

Cindylou
Old 02-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Cindylou, have you been evaluated for Piriformis Syndrome by someone who actually embraces it as a reasonable possibility?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Mark, no. But I will ask my pain management doctor about it tomorrow. Don't know much about it...will do a little research. I know this is just a band aid, but I definitely need my meds adjusted too. The current regime is not cutting it at all.

Cindylou
Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Forgot to add this. I did something else I never thought I would do yesterday. I applied for disability. I thought, who am I trying to kid? I have not been gainfully employed since my bicycle accident almost 8 years ago. So, we shall see. I felt like a total loser filling it out.

Cindylou
Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 PM

CindyLou,
You ARE NOT A LOSER! Sometimes we have these things happen to us and no one knows why. If you need to apply for disability it is okay, especially if you are unable to work. I also think that if you are eligible you can get health insurance through social security. I never thought that I would not be able to work either and here I am laying on my ice-pack too.
How were your SI joints diagnosed or are these injections diagnostic? I sure they help you. You have had so many problems and it seems unfair. I keep thinking I am chipping away one part at a time but it would be nice to be all done wouldn't it. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.
Phylly
Old 02-06-2009, 03:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek
Arrow What?!?

CindyLou,

YOU ARE NOT A LOSER! You should not be ashamed of for filing for disability. You obviously are unable to work due to your injuries.

Just be aware that sometimes it is hard to get disability as insurance companies do all that they can to not pay out. DO NOT LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU! You may need to hire an attorney to help you. Fight for it girl. DO NOT LET THEM WIN!

I had an SI joint injection back in November. It was only the numbing medication & not the anti-inflammatory medication. It was just for diagnostic purposes to see if it helped with my pain. It really didn't offer much relief for me. Maybe about 20%.

They did this injection because I had x-rays taken of my lower back & hips which showed possible sacroiliitis of both joints.

I hope that the injections offer you some relief. I know exactly how you feel with the pain in the hips like that. It is absolutely dreadful!. Please keep us updated on your progress!

Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09
Old 02-06-2009, 03:29 PM

Default what I didn't realize

Cindylou,
I know that feeling as it kept me from applying for SSD sooner when my PCP first mentioned it to me and I actually was OFFENDED by this but what would have helped to mention was file when your income is at it's best vs. when I did which was a number of years working very part time in pretty terrific pain with too numerous flare ups to mention.

I had what was considered a decent income at the time even by part time standards. But I too was fighting that loser feeling and fought it for so long that I didn't do myself any favors when I finally filed for SSD.

The good thing was when I filed I was READY! I knew I couldn't have continued to work and was afraid of getting pushed into the 3 level global fusion recommended for me at the time.

Relief from pain came with medications, ESIs, and good PT for a solid year once I had stopped working. It was rather gradual but progressive in terms of relief from the flare ups and really daily grind of chronic pain.

I wrestle with progressing on to more surgery because of the pain relief I have had compared to what I lived with for so long.

I know it's hard to feel good right now tho try to give yourself a break as you are by no means "over and done with" ~ it just feels that way due to living w/pain.

Here's hoping some of the modalities will eventually be helpful and make a turn around in your pain levels.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:21 PM

Pre-surgery, I had SI injections and facet blocks, though neither worked. After the 4 level ADR surgery I had SI joint injections or facet blocks every three months. It usually would take about two weeks to kick in but, I got the three months pain relief afterward. I did not have any for the second year but, had two injections in the SI joint right before Christmas time. It was true to form with about three weeks before I got substantial pain relief that continues to this day.

I know it's hard not to feel like you're feeling CindyLou but, as everyone else has said, if you can't return to work, that is what the SSD is for. Besides, you paid in to this system your whole life anyway. Essentially you are getting some of your money back that you paid in. It's definitely an entitlement. The Rich Politicians do not want us to have entitlements as it costs money that they can spend on pork barrel projects but, that is why we pay in to the system. It is there to use if we need to.

Hang in there and let us know how things are going for you.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 02-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate it. I don't mean to be a downer, but sometimes the pain just sucks you up. I did have a good pain management appt. yesterday. He injected both sides...extremely painful, but fortunately, short lived. I felt really good, again, for about 4 hours. Like you all said, it could take 3-5 days, or 3-4 weeks?! I'm shooting for the 3-5 day plan! It's amazing how quickly my back muscles relax when they are not spazzed out in pain! He did not want to up my pain meds so we can really see diagnostically if it's working. Which made sense. If those 4 hours were any indication, I think the SI joints are definitely players in my pain. So, now to play the waiting game for relief to kick in again. I'm totally down. 4 hours is like a huge tease, no? So, that's it. The only thing keeping me going at this point is my daughter-in-law who could go into labor at any time. I need to see the hope in a new birth. I'm clinging to that.

Cindylou
Old 02-08-2009, 03:45 AM

Cindy, I can completely empathize with you. Like you say, we do have to keep our eye on the good things in life, as it's easy to focus on the negative when we are in pain. Sorry about the SI tease. However, it sounds like your Dr is doing everything to get a proper diagnosis.

Keep your head up! There's a new, beautiful baby on the way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindylou View Post
Thanks everyone. I do appreciate it. I don't mean to be a downer, but sometimes the pain just sucks you up. I did have a good pain management appt. yesterday. He injected both sides...extremely painful, but fortunately, short lived. I felt really good, again, for about 4 hours. Like you all said, it could take 3-5 days, or 3-4 weeks?! I'm shooting for the 3-5 day plan! It's amazing how quickly my back muscles relax when they are not spazzed out in pain! He did not want to up my pain meds so we can really see diagnostically if it's working. Which made sense. If those 4 hours were any indication, I think the SI joints are definitely players in my pain. So, now to play the waiting game for relief to kick in again. I'm totally down. 4 hours is like a huge tease, no? So, that's it. The only thing keeping me going at this point is my daughter-in-law who could go into labor at any time. I need to see the hope in a new birth. I'm clinging to that.

Cindylou
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 AM

Hey CL,

Let me know how the SI injection feels over the next couple of weeks. My left SI has been on fire for the last couple of months...so, I'm probably inject that bad boy soon.

I hope you're doing well!
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Cindylou,
You have been through so much. I have to believe better days are ahead for you and the many others who are suffering on this board. Congratulations on the new baby ahead.
Best wishes,
Linda
Old 02-14-2009, 12:32 AM

Thank-you guys for the support. I got a call this morning from my pain management doctor's office doing follow-up on last Friday's SI Joint injections. I told them I haven't had any relief except the immediate 4 hours afterwards. I also told them I have spent most of my time on the sofa with the heating pad. So, they decided I needed to come back in this next week and will confer with the doctor about either trying an epidural injection or another bi-lateral set of SI joint injections again. I am just glad they care and want to help me with my pain.

Cindylou
Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 PM

Default SI joint injections

Have you considered prolotherapy, PRP plasma, or stem cell injections (Regenexx.com)?

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/8/09 Piriformis surgery for sciatica and cramping
Old 02-14-2009, 04:23 PM

Rob,

Not yet. One thing at a time. But I am known to unturn every stone in my zealous pursuit of a pain-free life again, so thanks for the suggestions. Right now I am focused on my next appointment with my pain management doctor and his suggestions. And I am pursuing trying to get in with Dr. Starke, whose office is right in St. Paul. He is the SI joint guru. Question tho. I have never had this happen before, but this time I feel like the cortisone injections left me feeling highly anxious and agitated. Is this a legitimate side effect?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:43 PM

I am sorry but I don't have the answer for that one. Keep persevering and praying for wisdom for you and your doctors. You will find the answer.

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/8/09 Piriformis surgery for sciatica and cramping
Old 02-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Rob,

Not yet. One thing at a time. But I am known to unturn every stone in my zealous pursuit of a pain-free life again, so thanks for the suggestions. Right now I am focused on my next appointment with my pain management doctor and his suggestions. And I am pursuing trying to get in with Dr. Starke, whose office is right in St. Paul. He is the SI joint guru. Question tho. I have never had this happen before, but this time I feel like the cortisone injections left me feeling highly anxious and agitated. Is this a legitimate side effect?
CindyLou:

I have not heard of this as a side effect. Not to say that it isn't, just that I have never heard of it. I am sorry that you did not get any relief from the injection. I hope you are doing well otherwise.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Rob,

CL,

I wonder if this is a side effect of your increased pain after your SI injection. Pain is often manifested as being anxious and agitated. I hope you start to find some relief and I'm glad to hear they care enough to have you go in this week. I wish you the very best.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Cool

CindyLou,

You are not crazy. Anxiety and being anxious are side effects of cortisone. My last cortisone epidural, I was like I had six bottles of Mountain Dew. Also I had difficulty sleeping I was so amped up.
There are several side effects and it seems that the amount of cortisone makes the difference. I have been getting cortisone shots in my right foot and it is only a cc or so and I have no side effects.
But the epidurals/facet blocks just make me really like the Energizer Bunny.
There are other effects too.

runner
Old 02-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Yeah, validation! Thank-you runner. I am not crazy. Well, that could be a stretch. Perhaps I should say, today I am not crazy. Probably more accurate. Thanks Justin, Terry, runner and any I forgot, for the advice and the encouragement. It is so truly appreciated. And I am grateful for this site and the avenue it provides for us all. Thank-you Mark. I am eager to see the pain management doctor on Wednesday this week. I am somewhat nervous about an appt. for my 21 year old son this Tuesday. He has just recently been complaining of acute pain in both his knees and his left hip. Very strange. He's a total athlete, not over weight, senior in college, etc., so I'm anxious to see what the problem is. His name is Zach. Would you all please keep him in your prayers?

Cindylou
Old 02-18-2009, 10:35 PM

I had my appt. this morning at the pain management clinic. My pain levels were soaring as I had hosted a baby shower at my house last night, so I was on my feet all day yesterday, which I rarely am. I really wanted to do this shower. I paid big time late last night and this a.m., but sometimes you just want/need to do something for a feeling of normalcy, you know? So, after much discussion and him re-reviewing my films, he said he would like to try the caudal epidural steroid injection, since I only got 4 hours relief from the SI joint injections 2 weeks ago. The placement was just above my tailbone going up. I cried through the whole procedure. He kept re-numbing the space, but I was just beaten down by pain, and having to have more pain during the procedure to try and get rid of pain. It's such a vicious cycle. But, it took a bit in recovery to notice any change, and then I began to feel some relief. If I bend backwards I still really feel the pain, but if I don't do that (duh!) I have received a good amount of relief, maybe 80%. I especially noticed how I felt better when I didn't think twice to finish cleaning up from last night, running the vacuum, washing dishes, laughing with my pets. I'm holding on here, knowing this local will likely wear off anytime. Does it ever happen that you just continue to feel good without the waiting period? I wish, I wish. Will continue to update as this plays out.

Cindylou
Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 PM

Cindy Lou,

I am reading your post and relating to every word. You are not crazy. I had the disability battle in my mind today.

And I too hosted a birthday party recently in the hopes of being "normal". It hurt so bad to clean the house and get ready and noone knew how I felt.

Just letting you know that your posts even when you feel down do not seem crazy to me at all. Believe it or not your being helpful to others in sharing.

I hope you feel better.

Cheryl
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 AM

Prior to my surgery, for those times that I wanted to feel normal and 'do' something, I always wore my back brace. If nothing else, it reminds you not to bend, twist, etc. It's worth a try.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:50 AM

Dale,

Excellent advice! Never would have thought of it. Sometimes the most obvious.......

Best,

Cindy
Old 02-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Cindylou,
I am always amazed at your stamina and your search for a pain free life. I think we are all in search of that and can relate to your bumpy road. I think of you often as a role model for energy in spite of your pain. It is so difficult when everyone says "you look great" and you have such a high levels of pain that you don't want to show. Even my husband often does not always get it. I am always amazed when he asks me where it hurts. I love Dales suggestion about wearing your back brace to do housework. It is the perfect reminder to get you not to bend.

You mentioned bending backwards hurting. Has anyone ever looked at your facets? My PM doctor always checked on that.

Also how is your son? I am sending good thoughts your way. Worrying about our children is stressful so I hope his knees are okay and he just has growing pains. Please keep up posting.
Warmest wishes,
Phylly
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 AM

Thank-you for the kind words Phylly and Cheryl. One thing (of many) my psychiatrist brought up tonight was that I have to strike a balance between revealing more of my pain levels to those close to me, and NOT keeping the happy face on all the time, if things are truly crappy. I said, "well, that's kind of a downer. Who wants to be around someone whose moping around all the time, complaining of their pain levels? I'm kind of from the old school of fake it till you make it!" He responded with saying, that is true up to a point. There has to be a balance between the two. That's a tricky one for me. I have always tried to look at my glass as half full, but have certainly traveled down the dark roads of pain, lost of all hope, from time to time. I don't think I stay there too long. I did tell him that I was continuing to write my memoirs which has been very cathartic for me. He encouraged me on that, and said he thought I had a true journey to share, that could definitely help others. At the very least, it is helping me! My son's knees looked fine on x-ray, and the doctor thinks the problem is possibly stemming from his foot instead. So, will likely have to pursue that next. Thank-you for inquiring. I'm thankful his knees and hip are fine. I'm going to open a new thread on my roller coaster day today, that looks to have some promising prospects for my pain. But I didn't sleep well at all last night, so I will script it out tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Cindylou
Old 02-20-2009, 04:44 AM

Default shots

good luck with the disability claim, i've had 9 shots over 3 yrs L4-L5-S1 and sad to say never had any relief but it doens work 4 some keep us posted
Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM

CindyLou,

Sorry you had pain during the epidural. I have been getting the injections with a new doc for me and they give me some "happy" medicine and i don't feel much pain during the injections. They give me Versed and Diprovan and this is just about the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I went the other way before (no meds) and I like this way much better. Ask your doc about it. I don't see any reason to suffer from these injections that a lot of doctors call "not painful". That is a bunch of horse c###.

Anyway I am up for my third injection procedure today. I hope they work. Seems like I have a little less numbness in my feet.

Don't do too much around the house.

Kimmers