Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Nursing staff in the Main forums forums; I'd like to bring an issue to the forefront which I believe we've discussed before but is well ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Default Nursing staff

I'd like to bring an issue to the forefront which I believe we've discussed before but is well worth mentioning again. Another poster wrote of her husband's incompetent or 'lazy' nurse. I too had an issue with nursing that could have killed me. I actually received an apology from the hospital as well as cancelling their entire bill. I know of another patient who actually called 911 because his nurses were -lazy- incompetent- uncaring, take your pick. My mother-in-law needed assistance. She asked for help several times before I went to find her - reading a magazine!

Nurses have a difficult job and I've encountered far more caring ones than the other way around BUT - it just takes one who can turn your healing into a downward spiral. Many nurses have spinal problems and some are posters on this and other forums. They know first hand how hard they work(ed) in their professional lives. It's a thankless job sometimes and some give the entire profession a bad name but no one deserves incompetence.

You are your own best advocate. If you think something is wrong, it probably is. Even if you fearthe nursing staff will think you're a pain in the ass, stand up for yourself. Demand the care you need and settle for nothing less.

To all you 'good' nurses out there, thank you. To all those on this forum, perhaps you can recommend some valuable tips on do's and don't's.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Default A old timer nurse here

Back when I was an RN working the floor and units I think we were held to a higher standard of care or so it seems as I have seen much as a patient and an advocate that really scares me. I also think that there is gross understaffing based on patient-nurse ratio legislation passed in some states (not in ICU type settings rather the floors).

I've been really surprised at what I've seen however I've also seen physicians make some grave errors in prescribing and so forth so let's just say it's best if there is someone that can act as your advocate in case one is rendered unable to think for him/herself.

A turn for the worse can happen so quickly in or out of the hospital however clear cut errors/mistakes do seem to happen unfortunately. I know I was on everyones arses in the hospital when it came to my father's care last year even the physicians.

This year when my father developed CHF there were circumstances that I think if had been addressed properly and earlier he wouldn't have gotten so sick .. again I don't want to go into it because I wasn't here and I know I would have done things differently but I just realize it was probably truly his time to go as he was 89 y.o. and he escaped death last year because I was here but then again this year was probably different.

Ann sounds like the kind of nurse that I was and I do remember the older more experienced nurses giving me "what for" way back when ... they had reason to when I was a greenfoot. These days tho I think there's just so much that either gets overlooked or is delegated to some other allied healthcare specialty and health care is fragmented.

The more people involved sometimes in the care the more room for error...will leave this topic as I have a lot of thoughts on this and most are jumbled now re what I'm dealing with. thanks for bringing up the topic tho..
Old 01-10-2011, 04:44 PM

How did I know Maria that you would respond? The reason - because you care.

I know your plate if full right now and thank you for your time.

Fellow spineys and all others - we're all potential patients. If we can't keep our ears and eyes open when it comes to all health care, we should have someone else who can do it for us. Aside from obvious mistakes that as laymen, we may or may not be aware of, there is also negligent care which we should never find acceptable. Speak up for yourself.

At the same time, be sure to thank the nurse(s) from whom you received excellent care. I'm sure they'll appreciate the acknowledgment.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 PM

It's the ole saying. There is good and bad everywhere. For the most part, my nurses have been the best. I only had one nurse ever peeve me! I wanted her to wait until my husband got back to hold my hand while she pulled the drain tube out, but just went and did it anyway!!! I will never forget her stinking face.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Default thanks

Dad had been in ICU nearly 4 days before he passed (they transferred him to a regular floor the first night of palliative care as they expected him to pass). I went back upstairs to the unit to thank the nurses for their care and asked that they please tell all shifts that cared for Dad thanks and physicians as well. They seemed surprised. I know I always appreciated a kind word re my efforts at patient care.

My motto when I was working was treat the patient like they were a family member in terms of care. The real fiesty patients were definately a challenge and combative ones.. well, protect thyself!! Still all in all I loved working in this field.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM

I have been in and out of hospitals for the last five years. I had a spinal cord injury in 1995, and have been on many different meds since then . I am at the point that I have found after trying many meds what works for me and a schedule of when I take them. It happens every time, they wont give me my meds at the times I'm used to, or try something else in place of what I have used. Talk about getting messed up !. My wife and I have given the list of meds and when I take them every time I go to the hospital. One even ran out of oxy that I take for pain control. They didn't get me the meds until 5 hrs. later. I complained about this to the head nurse and she said I cant call your doctor in the middle of the night ! They have their own pharmacy right in the hospital. Meds never on time , etc. I dread going to hospitals. This 1 nurse had a very bad attitude when I would ask for my meds.she would holler, YEA YOU AND SIX OTHERS ON THIS FLOOR. The floor was that empty.They won't allow me to bring my own meds in either.Most of my meds are paid through WC because this was a work injury. The hospital bills my reg ins. for all these meds, which I end up paying for a percentage of. I just cant get through to anyone. These stays have been for pneumonia , nothing to do with work inj. Its always a real mess, I don't know what else to do. This has happened at 2 different hospitals. In the last 5 yrs. 4 times. Any ideas or comments?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM

It's just power, they have power over you and it shows some of them for what they really are. I was lucky when I went in, I had good ones. There was one who I asked to put a pillow behind my head then take it out again as I had a cricked neck, this was when I first remember regaining consciousness after surgery, so only hours post op. She asked me if I was going to be a difficult patient. She obviously had a terrible attitude and I watched her like a hawk for the remainder of my stay. The hospital was well run and obviously kept that sort of bs in check.

Gday Burr it's a shit situation, I can't think of anything that could help.

Last edited by Hooch; 01-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks Hooch,
I guess some just don't understand how hard it is to finally get to the point of decent pain control at the times and doses your body gets used to.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 PM

Default hmm

The way it goes is the doctor writes the order for the schedule of how meds are given so if it's every 4 hours you should be able to get your meds within one half hourto one hour before or after that time at least. Usually meds follow a somewhat normal schedule of hours which may not be what you're used to.
Hopefully if you spoke to a physician or had someone speak to the physician writing orders on your med schedule you could get it right tho unfortunately it may not be as soon as you go in unless you have to time to talk to the doctor in advance and ask the orders be written a certain way.

Unfortunately some nursing staff aren't nice about med schedules and I've heard some stories that are pretty shocking to me like one of my friends went over 24 hours w/o her pain medication no matter how much she stated what she took and she was in horrible withdrawls. Also some doctors do not want to be awakened for things like getting pain med schedules changed. Whoever is on call usually lets the nurses know this. Or at least this is the way it was when I worked the floors which was ages ago (70's -80's).

I only take my pain med one time a day but if it got too far past 11a.m. w/o it I'd be starting to feel terrible and anywhere into the afternoon I'd be really uncomfortable and if it went into the night w/o it I'd be mighty sick feeling and probably acting quite looney tunes. Would I be difficult.. as difficult as my sick feeling withdrawing self would allow. Not cuz I'd want to be but because what would one expect after being on pain meds regularly for many years.

The other thing is that until I went on pain meds and was very well acquainted with the fact how physiologically dependent I am on them well even as a nurse with advanced education I just didn't "feel it" if you know what I mean. I think after all my experiences with this spine stuff I'm ever so much more empathetic about everything and esp. complaints of constipation!

One thing that might help altho you may have already tried this is to have a list of your healthcare probs and current list of meds w/schedule taken and if you're admitted to the hospital that list hopefully would be easily accessible by whomever is there advocating for you (family or friend) so they can pass it along right away to the person doing your intake (nurse?)esp. if you're unable to advocate/speak for yourself. Possibly the doctor would consider writing orders based upon a similar schedule if it doesn't conflict with anything else they want to order or do for you.

I'd make another recommendation but it's not a proper one so I best keep my thoughts to myself.

Last edited by Maria; 01-11-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:10 AM

In Germany we were expected to bring our own meds and even for pain if we saw our doctors prior to surgery. The woman from America who had surgery the same day I did, didn't bring enough Vicoden and there didn't seem to be a facsimile. She managed to get more from America but was panicking for awhile.

I know and realize because of drug interactions hospitals don't want you taking meds from home but come on - use common sense, use your computer, talk to your doctor and do whatever you have to do.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 PM

I always have a very detailed list with meds and when i take them.. Generalize with most to am or pm. Some are just not found in the hospital pharmacy and a pharmacist always seems to visit me. I have pituitary failure going on and replace a lot of hormones. They also claim to not have the meds i take for GERD. Only one. But it is the only one that works.
I usually hand out about 5 lists of meds, doctors and phone #'s medical conditions and now surgeries and dates. STill it doesnt work. I've been in tears when nurses looked at old info on the computer and refused to look at my updated list(which i brought to my pre op apt) Then they want to write down that the patient refuses meds!!! I am on steroids as i no longer make cortisol and need it especially in stressful situations. I would die if i did not take it.

When i had my hip replaced they gave me my whole list in the morning. 9am is med time at the hospital i am usually at. They included my trazadone which i use to sleep. I just blurry eyed remember my surgeon coming in and telling me to go back to sleep. I slept all day.
I've tried it all!!!
judy