Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss I would like a poll in the Main forums forums; I have anterlosthesis of L5-S1 - the docs are saying - fusion - you know the screws in the back with a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 AM

Default I would like a poll

I have anterlosthesis of L5-S1 - the docs are saying - fusion - you know the screws in the back with a cage to help it grow the right way and then keep your fingers corssed. Look I can talk all of the medical stuff - but I like the down to earth opinion not fact. WHo has had this done - how was your first 30 days. How is you pain now hopefully post a couple months. Are you able to make some love without feeling like you are getting your leg ripped off. How about work. How about the pills - hate them but it sound like even with the fusion I am still gonna down right feel crummy and take lower maybe something that won't constipate me so bad that not only do I hurt just sitting in that position but passing a bowling ball (love you ladies)....so tell me yours I am ready adn I am trying to decide because right now I am on the fence and ready to jump to the NOT A CHANCE - I WILL DEAL WITH IT until I can't walk....so thanks guys - you have already been a huge help to bring my knowledge WAY up now I need some opinions...CHef G
Old 04-21-2009, 04:07 AM

I don't have a clue; but am LMAO at your post! Hilarious, love the leg getting ripped off analogy, that and the bowling ball (funny, just before I read this, literally, I told my hubby I had just delivered our 3rd child in the bathroom )
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Don't wait until you "can't walk"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakea222 View Post
Iso tell me yours I am ready adn I am trying to decide because right now I am on the fence and ready to jump to the NOT A CHANCE - I WILL DEAL WITH IT until I can't walk....so thanks guys - you have already been a huge help to bring my knowledge WAY up now I need some opinions...CHef G
Jakea222,

I think I have read in your previous posts(?) that you are already having trouble walking and experiencing neurological problems so I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about the consequences of NOT doing something surgically (ADR, Fusion, etc..). I had DDD at L5/S1 and I am someone who waited until I was having trouble walking thinking a) I can push the pain out of my mind (only took Advil) and b) I was too afraid of the surgical outcomes from reading too many blogs!! I truly wish I had the fusion done last fall before the neurological deficits came on. My MIS TLIF was done 19 Feb and I am still hoping to recover from nerve damage. Maybe this is a typical woman's thinking but I would place being able to walk before sex! I think the men who have had fusions will be better at answering the sex question. At this point I would not be able to go back to any kind of meaningful work. Sitting for more than 45 minutes is not possible and standing for more than an hour is tiring because of the nerve issues in my legs. During my research I have come across many people who have had fusion at L5/S1 and found that those that "waited it out" had more difficult and longer recoveries. A guy I met through a friend of mine had a fusion at the same level, had the same procedure by the same doc and is roughly the same age as me was skiing bumps the year after his fusion. He has absolutely NO back pain, or nerve issues. He did get his fusion within 3 months of the chronic issues coming on where as I waited for almost a year. The bottom line is, you just never know but my gut feeling is that I would have been better off by not waiting. BTW, before I decided to get the fusion I would wake up and the first thing that went through my mind was "I can never shove titanium rods and screws in my back", just the idea of it horrified me. I thought I would be freaked out by looking at the xrays but I wasn't probably because the actual surgery was truly a breeze. I was out of the hospital in 24 hours. If you do go for a fusion, there are many ways to get it done and I think that some are less invasive than others. I wish you well.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM

I have 3 ADRs, no fusion. Here's my opinion based on my experiences, not any type of medical expertise or foundation.

The longer never damage exists, the more likely it is to become permanant. It also my go away. This is very scary to me. However, short lived damage can also become permanant. Nerve damage can be disabling on its own.

Healing takes longer as you age.

Worsening conditions may ultimately limit your remedy choices.

Choosing your surgeon carefully will increase your chances of a successful surgery.

But, failures still exist. Hindsight is the only true guide in making the right decision. Those finding success wish they had it done years earlier. Those with failures kick themselves for taking that plunge. However, I do believe skilled surgeons produce far more successful results than failures. The odds would be in your favor. But again, only you will reap the reward or suffer the consequences.

FYI, the healing process is not easy but a necessary evil. The first couple of days are a real ^&#%$ but what's a couple of days out of your life? Childbirth is cruel and inhuman yet we still have babies - of course it's not with a clear understanding that they'll be teenagers one day! so even love making with or without ripping off your leg has its consequences

Anybody got a working crystal ball? Mine's in the shop

Dale
Old 04-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Administrator

It all depends on what your options are.

If you have a low risk surgery with a high chance of success, your decision is different than if you have a high risk surgery with a low chance of success.

It also depends upon if your options are expected to change with time... will you give up options? (like repairing an oil leak before the engine is ruined by driving without oil)

Note that mild anterolisthesis (or other types of instability) caused by the collapsing disc space (degenerative instability) is not necessarily a contra-indication to motion preservation. If the posterior elements are intact and the instability is expected to resolve based on restoring disc height (thus retentioning the system), then ADR is still a possibility.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 PM

I had a fusion at L5/S1 on February 6th. The recovery hasn't been too bad. I was in the Hospital for 3 days and off work for 8 weeks. I am still having some nerve pain and I am getting another injection on the 29th to kill this nerve. I do have some pain in my hip area still. But in the long run I am glad that I had the surgery. Sex isn't bad either. Just take it slow. Everything has to be done slow and easy for now on. I am constipated a lot because I am on Opana. Gotten used to that now. I take a lot of fiber to help me poo! I wouldn't wait if I were you. But, make sure you have a surgeon that has done a lot of these surgeries and is well known for successful surgeries. Do your homework and find a surgeon who makes you feel comfortable. There is a lot of these surgeons out there that think their S*** doesn't stink. I saw these guys and I wanted to punch them. I also didn't feel comfortable with the experimental side of a lot of this. I was offered these, but after talking to the surgeon I decided on the Fusion with cages. I decided not to have the ADR, because of the facet problems. But, I have already had an injection in my facet joint with the fusion. I am still in recovery and have been told that it could take up to a year to be 100%
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 AM

Default being very careful

I am reading a lot because I want to make sure these surgeons - and I worked for a medical school before becoming a chef - those guys want to cut cut cut. I actually had a surgeon that I know that quit practicing medicine due to hit lower back and did not want the surgery - so I may be reading TOO much - but I think my expectations are too high too. I kind of had the mind set that it was a fix and it certainly is not...being a chef is not the food network - hells kitchen and iron chef combined but I make food for money thoses guys are on a show...Honestly - I left my white collar job to got to the CIA the best culinary school in the world to follow a passion for food...not working for a month or even longer at the high level I have is killing me emotionally - so I am getting the opinions of the people here to add to my - where am I going - Kathy I like your posts as well...I can't imagine kids with my back - and the "leg" comment - well - that is what it was for me the last time - but we were happy - if you know what I mean - HA
Old 04-22-2009, 05:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek

I am 3 months out from having anterior/posterior fusion at L5/S1. I was forced to have fusion since my husband's healthplan refused to cover ADR & I felt that I didn't have the time to wait for appealing their decision. I was waking up with pins & needles going down both of my legs when I was laying flat on my back & was just spiraling downward with my condition.

I spent 6 days in the hospital but I believe that was due to my bowels taking forever to wake up & having tachycardia. I'm not exactly the "picture" of fitness so I'm sure that had something to do with it as well.

The first 2 days after surgery were pretty craptastic until they could get my pain under control. Then when the bowels started waking up & distending, that wasn't much fun either. I can't stress enough the importance of taking "softener" & eating as much fiber as possible. It makes "passing" a lot less painful.

A month after surgery I took a 2 1/2 flight to Florida. I was still in some pain but was able to manage it with the pain meds.

Two months after surgery, I took another 2 1/2 hour flight to Florida & went house hunting for a few days. There was a lot of getting in & out of the car & I expected to be bedridden. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't happen. I wasn't taking as many pain meds either.

Two & 1/2 months after surgery, I went back to work to both of my jobs. I work an 8 hour day & both are mostly sedentary jobs. The 1st week I was a bit sore but it got a little easier as each week passed.

I noticed that when it's cold & damp I tend to be more uncomfortable & in pain. I am for the most part free from taking pain meds. I am dealing with a stabbing pain in the lower back since the surgery that my OS feels is from the muscle catching on the pedicle screw. He's hoping that it eases up in a few months. The only other option is for him to go back in & take it out. At this point, I'm not ready to go back under the knife & there's no way I can put my husband thru that Hell again.

On a lighter note, I see that you went to the CIA. If I tried really hard, I can throw a rock & hit the CIA from where I currently live

Be well & keep us informed!

Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09
Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Default Thanks Karin

I lived in COld Spring and we loved the Hudson Valley - The CIA was a great start of my journey to the "Culinary Side" and this with my back is scaring me if you can tell by my post...thanks for the info
Old 04-22-2009, 06:41 PM

I had an ALIF on Feb 10th. The surgery and hospital stay of two days wasn't too horrible and the pain was kept in check. It's taking a long time to recover, mainly because of nerve issues, but I'm much less pain than I was before surgery.

I used very little pain medication, maybe two Vicodin/day, not because I'm stoic but because I never found one that agreed with me. After the first 3 weeks, I quit using it altogether. For the first six weeks, I pretty much stuck around the house but I've recently taken a trip to Seattle (painful but do-able) and then one to Hawaii which was better. I didn't really do anything there, just walked to my lounge chair and back, but still had a good time.

At two months, the Xrays say I'm half fused and have been given the OK to take Advil but I don't take much of it..maybe 2 or 3/day. I just want to get this sucker fused ASAP. I take no meds other than a 2mg Valium for sleep. I can sit through a movie, restaurant, etc. I can stand up for hours but probably couldn't work as a chef yet because of the bending and lifting. I still feel 'tender'. Walking two miles/day. I'm in some pain and still have some leg numbness when I walk but it's subsiding. I don't ever feel like they're going to 'give' on me anymore.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Adrienne
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Jake,

Good luck with everything. It sounds like you've been dealing with a lot while working a ton of hours each week.

Have you seen a physician / scheduled an appointment for your increased gait issues?

Keep us posted.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:24 AM

Default yes

I take off my waist support and my entire belly feel like it is swishing around like a boat in a hurricane...put it back on and a lot better....I have a couple weeks to decide and am reading a lot - thanks to many of you already...guy
Old 04-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Jake, what is a "waist support?" Like a pelvic stabilizing belt? Just curious. Say, I have 3 lumbar adr's, a L6-S1 fusion, and then my right SI Joint fusion, of which I am 6 weeks post op. I am 10 months post-op from my L6-S1 fusion, and unlike everyone else, I really didn't have much nerve issue from the surgery. Like Mark said, you may not be contra-indicated for motion preservation, so I would certainly look into that. On the other hand, if there is no disc space left for ADR, I don't think a fusion is the end of the world, by any means. I honestly hardly notice any restriction in my movements, and I have had two fusions. Now, I don't have a cage, just screws, but......doc still had to go in both front and back. You are doing the right thing by researching, asking lots of questions, but I would recommend acting sooner rather than later, since you are experiencing gait issues. You certainly want to prevent any permanent nerve damage. Just my humble opinion. Hang in there, and I wish you the best in your decision making, and a future of pain free living once again!

God bless,

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Default L5/s1 front and back

I just had a front and back fusion of my L5/S1 23 days ago, and it was not the bst thing i've ever had but it seems to be working so far although i am taking pain killers regularly... the pain i am feeling now is not the same as before the surgery so i think something was done right lol
they put a cage with a plate and 4 screws in the front and some kind of spacer in the back which is no fun when you try to roll over but im told it will get better
anyways if you have any questions you can feel free to PM me and i will answer what i can for you
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM

Default Post alif

I just had a front and rear L5/S1 fusion 26 days ago if you are still looking for someone to talk to let me know and i will tell all lol... so far all is ok and yes i have made love to my wife since the surgery and my legs are still there lol
Old 04-30-2009, 05:47 PM

Default OK on the legs still there HA

to answer the waist support thing - it it a heavy duty velcro thing - I velcro the inner belt and then a tightning belt. It has been a good thing but I think it probably has been good and bad for the core strenghtening. Wearing it may prevent me from using muscles - BUT if I didn't have it - I can safely say that in my job I would never make a 10 hr day.

And yes I am still ON THE FENCE about surgery. A lot of these sites have good info, but as for me how many GOOD stories are we not seeing --
Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 PM

I guess the surgery decision comes down to two things. 1. Is it scarier what could and will happen if you don't have surgery and 2. What could and will happen if you do have surgery. You have to write the pros and cons of each and decide which is best for you. Just know, that not having surgery is a choice, a choice to do nothing. Yes, there are a lot of horror stories on the internet; but that is because all the people that this surgery worked for are out living their lives, not spending time on these boards. This was a major hang up for me too, but I finally decided that my best chance at having my life back was through ADR surgery. Good Luck
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:27 AM

Default Also on the Fence

Hi Jakea222

I am also with you need to make a choice and am scared to death

Reading some of the stories here has not helped .

I agree with Kathy the great ADR stories are living life not here looking for help or answers.

take care just keep moving forward

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1