Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Dr Delamater ? in the Main forums forums; Hi All I am thinking about sending my information to Dr Delamater in Santa Monica. Has anyone seen him or ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 06:12 PM

Default Dr Delamater ?

Hi All

I am thinking about sending my information to Dr Delamater in Santa Monica.

Has anyone seen him or know about him???

Thank You

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 07-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator

I don't think there is anyone in the US with more ADR experience than Rick Delamarter. He's done surgery on MANY friends and clients. I've observed him in the OR. Also, he uses Sal Brau, one of the top ADR vascular surgeons in the US. Like all spine surgeons, you'll run into some negative outcomes from him, but for the most part, I think you'll hear good things.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Dr d is one of the heavy hitters in the L.A. area. I think you'd do well to trust your spine to him... beware though, his office is run like a heard of cattle and his staff can be difficult.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 AM

Default Dr.Delamarter

My experience with having seen Dr.D was OK. He's not a razzler dazzler with words or bedside manner IMHO but I think according to the patient population I've talked with or had correspondence of some sort his results are pretty amazing so he must be a lean mean surgeon machine. I do know he's been in practice for awhile as he was a young surgeon back in the early 90's right before I had my 2nd discectomy and there were patients swearing by his surgical skills back then~ too bad I didn't go to him way back when.

The office back in '06 was a pain in the butt I thought ~ disjointed with right hand not knowing what the left had has done or caring or so it seemed.

I liked the xray tech.. he surely was personable!

Good luck. If you're thinking of seeing Dr.D I'd say go for it.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 PM

Default Bad experience with Delamarter

Like other people I've heard good things about him, and traveled to L.A. for surgeries with him, but my experience has been terrible.

I've had two recent surgeries with him. Both unsuccessful. He has actually made me a lot worse, damaging my nerve roots and causing what looks to be permanent nerve damage. After the second surgery, he wouldn't say what went wrong and his office stopped returning my phone calls.

I can not recommend him!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:48 AM

Please, I need to know. What type of surgeries did you have done by Delamarter that did not turn out well and what happened to you?

I saw him yesterday and he was the first doc who spotted dead on what my problem is with my spine. Better then anybody including some other "heavy hitters". The only Dr. of similar ability in regards to my problem has been neurogist Baumbach in Munich Germany. He is a very good diagnostician. His presentation was good and he seemed confident suggesting 3 level adr to me. So based on that he seems like one of the better dr's out there to me if you are the right patient for his specialties.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:09 PM

Fuzzy,
What you said is true, you need to be the right patient for his specialties. I also had an unfortunate outcome with a double ADR. I think it was correctly placed but I just did not do well. He performed a foraminotomy on me after that and things did not go well after. I eventually had to have another Dr. remove my prodiscs and fuse me. If all goes well he is an excellent surgeon. If you have problems things may not go as well. Kevin, his PA is great and helpful. Most patients do very well so if you feel you like him then go with your gut. He has a lot of experience.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 PM

phylly,

May I ask why your revision was done elsewhere. Was this your choice or did Delamarter not want to do the revision? Was he uncomfortable after your outcome did not go well? Did he ignore you at that point?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:35 AM

Fuzzy,
After the 2nd surgery I was not a happy camper and got opinions on what to do next from three doctors. Dr. Delamarter would not have removed the discs, only fused over them. Fusing over is the easy way out of a bad problem. At that point I was not happy with the office and getting appointments and the flow of communication between staff. I really wanted the ADRs out as I had read that my best chance for healing w/o micro-movement was that way. The Dr.s were split two and two on removal or fuse over and I went with the one I was the most comfortable with. I survived, it was a long surgery and I am slowly doing better each month. It has not been easy but I am in PT, I am walking and sitting is getting better.
My doctor is there for me.

I would not say that Dr. Delamarter ignored me but He did not take my pain seriously after the second surgery. I had some secondary issues that should have been addressed first. My hospital experience was another issue. I think he will be using a different hospital soon so that may be better. I did not have enough confidence to use him again. Let me know what you decide.
Phylly
Old 07-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Hi All

Thanks for the information on Dr Delamater. Call his office and was not pleased the way I was treated. Just cared about the insurance and out of network.

I will try TBI next Just Keep Moving Forward

Thanks

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 AM

Default Bad experience with Delamarter

My first surgery with him was for a Prodisc at L4-L5 that stopped moving (fused) and Delamarter said he saw a lot of facet arthritis there. He thought it was causing my terrible leg pain and back pain. As a solution, he fused me at L4-L5. 6-7 weeks into post-op I developed terrible pain in my left leg and was completely unable to walk or place weight on the left leg. Del. could provide no explanation or answers except to wait another year for fusion to be completely solid. I did, but the left leg remained much worse than before his surgery. Then, he said he would remove posterior hardware from my back and continue decompressing. And, that was my second surgery with him. I woke up after anesthesia with my left leg paralyzed. And then, they said the did not know what happened. (Are you kidding me?) As a later EMG, ordered by pain managment showed, they damaged my S1 nerve root resulting in numbness and terrible pain to much of my left leg and even greater problem with walking or sitting. Now, 15 months after my surgery, neurologists and pain management tell me they think the damage is probably permanent. The right leg and back pain are also worse than before his surgery. I am a very calm, nice and polite patient, and wanted to follow up on my condition with him several months after my surgery about the lack of progress in my condition, but he would not return my phone calls (although I can't say anything bad about Kevin and Sherry - his medical assistants who have told me they themselves can't understand his lack of response) I have not been able to get in touch with Del. in all this time despite many, many attempts.

In addition to absolutely abysmal surgical outcomes with him, I feel slighted and abandoned. This is the basis for my inability to recommend him in an earlier post.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 AM

Hi All

I will NEVER have ADR until I see positive long term results.this is what I think at this point in my life.
Being a Spiney is truly a life style change.

The more education I gather the more I realize the spine doctors are more about making a buck rather than telling the patient the facts on their spine issues.

I just wish their was honest doctor patient relationship, not insurance lawyer patient relationship

All The Best

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 08-05-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Denis View Post
Hi All

The more education I gather the more I realize the spine doctors are more about making a buck rather than telling the patient the facts on their spine issues.

I just wish their was honest doctor patient relationship, not insurance lawyer patient relationship
Sadly I have to agree with this part. (not the no ADR part).
Unfortunately I have this creeping feeling also. But I do know one thing: There ARE some doctors who truly care that implant ADRs and feel good about it. They are hard to find.

I personally am at a struggle as to how many ADRs I would allow into my cervical spine. One doctor thinks I might need 4 (!!) I am not so sure I want to go there. I get the feeling one should not get more then 2 no matter what. This is my current "IMHO", today, meds and all. I might change my mind tomorrow, depending on pain level
Old 08-05-2009, 05:14 PM

Default re recommendations

After my 2nd spine surgery which failed and left me in horrendous burning pain all the way from my waist down my legs to my feet for 5 years.. I am very reluctant to have a 3rd spine surgery.

Part of my reason is what Energy wrote about in terms of lack of response or just a cold release from care after a failed surgery. Now certainly the surgeon at the time (Neurosurgeon) could have told me what he did during the surgery and how much disc was removed and so forth but he wouldn't discuss anything and he referred to his buddy an OSS for a 2nd opinion post op and that person practically told me I was crazy and made some absurd recommendations re my pain.

Dr.Delamarter is authorized to do my 3rd spine surgery if and when I should decide to have it however I had heard he was not that great at responding to failed surgical patients and that is something I must admit that furthered assisted me in deciding to hold off on the surgery with him.

When I was authorized to have surgery with him I found that I didn't care for his office staff's responses to me in terms of questions and just returning calls in a timely fashion.

I had seen another doctor in Dr.D's office before being authorized to see Dr.D and that surgeon was supposed to respond to some of my WC paperwork (to the state) in a certain time period~ he did not and my case was backlogged by 5 months due to that error so that didn't please me at all.. while I don't think it was his fault I do think the office was not running as efficiently as I would like and therefore my paperwork which was very important to me just got "lost" and/or not dealt with in a timely manner.

Dr.Delamarter has a wonderful surgical reputation and I could only hope that I would be a success should I choose to have surgery with him because it seems the successful patients fare extremely well with him even tho I had heard it was an effort to deal with the office. I guess they are extremely busy. That being said~ I'm most important to me so if my case cannot be taken very seriously that's my deciding factor re having surgery with someone.

I made an error the last time with my choice of surgeons as I didn't feel comfortable with him but WC had auth'd the surgery and I went along with the program so when the end result was a failure and literal nightmare ... well I had to deal with my decision/choice to have the surgery and the outcome.

This is not to say you wouldn't like Dr.D or that you shouldn't seek him out for an opinion because I think he's an excellent choice and perhaps the office is much better these days as I'm talking about 2006 experience. One thing for certain I'd recommend utilizing Mark's services if possible~ I think having Mark there makes everything flow much better or at least that has been my experience as Mark has accompanied me to at least 3 consultations and most importantly the 2nd surgical opinion for my WC case that really helped me to get surgery authorized (at the time I wanted to have it 3 years back/nearly 4).

Good luck Gil~ I applaud you for hanging in there and continuing to seek information and opinions. My post isn't met to deter you in any fashion, it's just my own personal experience.

Last edited by Maria; 08-05-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:10 AM

HI Maria

Thanks for your input .
Thank You Fuzzy and the rest,
I would use Mark and Still have not sent my info to the TBI.
I still am scared to death to make the wrong choice, I would like a real Doctor to be honest and not sugar coat my spine isssues and tell it like it is

All The Best and Thanks to All

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM

Default Dr. Delamarter

I've heard great things about Delamarter and thus called his office. I unfortunately found the staff to be a little on the rood side. They told me he wouldn't work on me as I had cancer three years ago but it was the way that she said it that was disturbing. There are video's of him on the internet.

Dancing accident in 96. tried PT, acupuncture, pilates, pain mgmt. nothing worked. Epidurals, facet blocks, caudal blocks, discogram. Opiates for ten years, oral prednisone, toradol inj. & more.

Two level spinal fusion with BMS, cages, hardware. due to bone density problems from chemotherapy, they had to go in front and back. Surgery Nov. 6, 2010. So far no regrets.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 AM

Certainly Dr. D and his staff are not known for their pleasantness. My husband had the opportunity to tell some of his staff what he thought of them and I had a conversation with Dr. D himself during which he too found his behavior and that of his staff unacceptable. I didn't think it was lip service but I guess it went in one ear and out the other.

If he won't see you because of cancer then nothing else said matters. I'm glad you found someone you trust and wish you luck!!!!

Dale
Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 AM

Hi Dale

Tank U

I was going to see a Dr. in Minnesota suggested by CL and they seem to care more about my insurance rather then my condition
That is a red flag so on to the next option???

Still Moving Forward

Thanks

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 08-12-2009, 03:38 AM

Fuzzy, do you mean that you wouldn't have more than two ADR in total, or in one area? Like you, I've got four or five levels needing work, depending on who you talk to. Dr. B in NY says hybrid is the best, and I'm beginning to agree with him. Now if I could just get the insurance approval to go to him for surgery....
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Hi Katie, I meant to say on sucessive levels. Meaning a 2 level cervical I am comfortable with but 3 or 4 seems a bit much. I hope I don't need that many in my case and would try to avoid it if possible.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks fuzzy. I am of the same opinion now. I have been told of three to four consecutive levels and I just cannot wrap my mind around that. Two would be my limit as well, I think. Hybrids if more treatment is needed for adjacent levels.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 PM

Default five Levels

Hi Katie

I heard of a person having five level lumbar disc Five Level Fred amd another patient with five level pro disc .

Not sure how they are doing? they are on another site I can no longer use.

I wish you all the best

Gil
L5-S1DDDDD
C3-C4 limited DDD
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
Old 08-17-2009, 07:15 PM

Default Hi Philly, and gils

I also saw many of the heavy hitters down in LA. Dr. Delemarter was the second surgeon to operate on me. Yes he is smart, and knows what he is doing. His staff do treat you like cattle. The x-ray techs are wonderful....
If the surgery, or trial does not go the way you or he expected....he tends to step back. Then you talk alot with Kevin, then appointments get short....and soon, you are booted out of the trial study. And well, you are left...like me, in a wheel chair. With the promise, that since the ADR's did not work for me, they would be fused. IT NEVER HAPPENED. I needed to see another heavy hitter in LA, that did see the problem, and did get me walking again.
For some people, Dr. Delemarter may be just what they need. If you go for a consult, listen to your instincts. If you feel comfortable....then continue....If you don't....then look elsewhere.
Not every surgeon is for every person. And for me, when a doctor starts walking away, and you travel long distances to see him, your time is valuable. Just like his. And the pain, time, more pain, and effort~ should be met half way. A five minute, "oh you're fine" after waiting an hour to see him, just isn't okay with me.
But, that is just my opinion.

Catherine
Cervical Fusion C6-C7
Medial facetectomy, foraminotomy,
Left sided L4-L5, L5-S1 with excision of disk rupture L5-S1
Left L3 selective root block
Epidural L4-L5, L5-S1 Medial Branch Block
Pro Disc, trial study L4-L5,L5-S1
Epidural Nerve root block
Epidural Facet joint injection
Epidural medial branch block
Epidural of coccyx
Coudal Steriod epidural block (5 times)
Epidural nerve root block, L4-S1(4 times)
fusion L4-L5/L5-S1
Tailbone removed
Cervical disk, FDA trial C5-C6
Epidural Cervical
Bilateral Nerve root block(3 times)
foraminal decompression C5-6, C6-7
Bilateral selective nerve root block C6-C7, TPI's
Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Well said Catherine. Thank you for you important feedback. Especially in a trial one would think no matter what the outcome they should have taken top care of you.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:05 AM

Default Hi Catherine K.

I was glad to see your post. I hope you are feeling a bit better. I need to put in a catch up. I am doing much better without my discs and was very happy that I went with the Dr. in the OC. It is 6 months now and slowly cutting down on my meds but doing well. I probably overdo because my neck has gotten sore and needed a shot but I have a great team now.
Phylly
Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 AM

Hi Phylly
how are you? how are you feeling....please, can you update on yourself.....I am so curious....I have thought of you, and how you were so sure to remove the prodiscs, and I left mine in....and I would like to know how you are doing...I think its just amazing that they can remove them. you sound like you are in great spirits!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 PM

Default Phylly

who did you choose to take your ADR out and do the fusion?
Old 09-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Thumbs up Dr Rick, can't go wrong

I am one of Dr Rick's sucess stories, i fell in his lap through my internist, who knew of him from UCLA teaching school. I checked him out, found out he is in the top 10% of his field, i was warned that his bed side manner isn't the best, but we got along on the first visit. He is the only Doc that was straight with me. told me my issues, the possibilities, pros-cons of surgery and gave me the confidence i needed to subject myself to another back surgery. In my book he is the GREATEST. I have 2 prodiscs, am in the US trials, and happy. My back pain issues and limitations are gone. I don't take any meds, my back pain from my 2 DDD dscs are gone. So do yourself a favor, send your records to him and see for yourself, he will be honest with you if he can help or not.
After a botched spinal tap where my L4/L5 disc exploded i underwent a laminectomy in 1979, and ran from spinal surgery ever since, then in 2002 i met DrDelamarter in Santa Monica- and my life as i knew it changed dramatically, I consider myself the "ProdiscPosterBoy" I am in the US Trials and one of the first in California to recieve 2 Lumbar Prodiscs, nomorepain-nomoremeds
Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 PM

Default doc in Orange County?

Catherine -
Who is the doc in OC you are referring to?