Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Two Weeks Until Surgery! in the Main forums forums; I am so happy, only two weeks until my surgery! I can't wait to get my life back. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 AM

Smile Two Weeks Until Surgery!

I am so happy, only two weeks until my surgery! I can't wait to get my life back. I was telling my husband last night that I honestly can not clearly remember what it is like to feel good and have energy. It has been a little over 3 years now, which isn't horribly long in the grand scheme of life; but long to be in horrible pain. I was pregnant for the 9 months prior to the wreck (I had a 2 week old baby when it happened), so not like I had tons of energy then... so kinda like 4 years of not having my body. I know that I used to not be like this; but it seems like forever ago. Anyone else feel that way? I daydream about being better and having energy; but can't 'feel it' so to speak. I'm also having those "am I crazy doing this", "is it hurting that bad" and the classic "I think it might be getting better, maybe it's in my head" thoughts. I just keep reminding myself that since I am genuinely excited to go under the knife, something is honestly not right. Don't know anyone who likes to have surgery and here I am counting the days like I'm going to Disneyland!

What do I need to know before surgery? Something nobody told you about? Maybe something you were told about; but didn't believe, or didn't think it would happen to you? Anything I need to have post-surgery? I have a grabber thing on the list and elastic waist band clothes, anything else? Even if it is something that may seem obvious, please share because it may not be obvious to me! Example, after my first child, I had no idea I would need nursing pads. I wasn't going to nurse, so why would I have needed them. Well any of you ladies who have had the joy of having a baby and any of you men who have had the pleasure of being their hubby, know better. Amongst a ton of other stuff I hadn't thought of; but by golly I had every worthless piece of nursery equipment money could buy!

Any tips? Anything at all you want to share? I sound like a counselor with that one.

One last thing, apparently March 17th, the day of surgery is St. Patricks day... that is what everyone keeps telling me when I say it's my surgery day. Think I'll wear a 4 leaf clover thong... give the nurses and dr a good laugh! Ok, here's a funny story.... I had an injection before Christmas one year. Well, that morning I was going to shower before I went. I woke up late and had to just go. I forgot that I was wearing my Christmas undies, that read "Ho Ho Ho" on the back; not in like a nice red or green Christmas color; but bright pink. I can only imagine what the dr thought of that. I was embarassed for months about it. I know they say no one cares or looks at the patients 'private areas'; but come on, we are only human- I know I'd look, morbid curiousity maybe? Anyway, can't beat having surgery on the 'luckiest day' of the year, so long as the surgeon doesn't have any of the green beer prior, I'll be good.

Thanks for all the help,
Kathy
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!

Last edited by Kathy; 03-02-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Kathy,

I'd rethink the four leaf clover thong. Based on a less than pleasant experience I had during a prostate exam, you DO NOT make the doctor to laugh!

Good luck,

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:37 PM

Kathy, good luck with your upcoming surgery. And no, you are not crazy. I think it translates to "hope." We just want to live again, do things again, flush our pain down the toilet once and for all. I will pray for great success for your upcoming surgery. You mentioned what else do you need to prepare for surgery. Do you have a raised toilet seat (speaking of flushing our pain....) ? That was a huge help to me. The sock grabber? Easy access to your day to day items, so you won't have to reach or bend. Lots of frozen meals handy to pop in microwave. Some kind of help, as you will not be able to do laundry, load dishwasher, or any of those kinds of things for quite awhile. I hired a teen-age college student, neighbor, last summer, after my ALIF, to come over for a few hours every few days to do light housekeeping and laundry. It was much more affordable, than say, a cleaning service. I know there are so many other things that aren't surfacing to my brain yet this morning, but other folks will chime in with additional great ideas. Let your countdown begin!

My Best,

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:39 PM

Hi Kathy,
I truly hope that this surgery helps with your pain. I will be thinking of you. Ditto on the raised toilet seat. I think the hospital will give you a walker but that is also helpful for the first week. I actually keep several grabbers around because I am either dropping one or forget to take it downstairs with me. I also agree about having some help for awhile. Take it easy after surgery as you will still have pain for awhile after the surgery and the recovery can be up and down. Good luck and I wish you the best, you are a real trouper and it paid off.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09
Old 03-02-2009, 04:58 PM

All great ideas and necessities Cindylou.

Kathy, What you're feeling is what most of us felt. Yes, you're tired of being in pain and you have hope on the horizon. This is better than Disneyland. It's a chance at getting your life back and two weeks seems like a long time to wait. Yesterday would have been better.

Do you know if you're going to be wearing a brace? If so, I wore it under my clothes and wore a man's sleeveless undershirt, 100% cotton, which made the brace more comfortable. Get it snug so it doesn't wrinkle under the brace.

Also, my butt hurt for weeks after my surgery. I found sleeping on a tennis ball a great solution. I also like a tush-cush which makes sitting more comfortable. These are cushions with the tail bone section removed. Cheap one aren't worth the price but you can get them at the Relax the Back store, under $50 (I think) I still use them today, in my office and in the car.

Bob, why shouldn't you make your doctor laugh? Just think of your prostate exam wearing undies with a pink HO HO HO! Or perhaps we just shouldn't go there.

Good luck Kathy and I hope the rest of your life is wonderfully hectic,
Dale
Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Hey Kathy!

I am so happy for you that your surgery is coming up! I have to say... You made me cry when I read your post. The 4 leaf clover thong made me laugh then I barreled over tearing up.... Very painful. Not nice....

Now that I have wiped away the tears, I do think wearing something green couldn't hurt.

Also, what I did to prepare myself for surgery was I got all the frozen foods I could. Easy and fast stuff to make for meals.

I also bought a couple of warm-up suites. You know, clothes that baseball or football coaches would wear. Those are really comfortable and I can wear the brace I got from the Doctor's office real easily. There are Reebok and Nike stores in Allen, TX near Plano. You can also find stuff online.

Also, make sure you get everything you need and keep it all close to your bed. The shorter the distance you have to travel, the better.

Hope that helps! and GOOD LUCK!

Dan
May 2008 - L5/S1 crumbling disk
Jul. 2008 - L5 - S1 PAINFUL Discogram VAS 10/10
Jan. 2009 - Texas Back Institute - Axiomed Clinical Trial Enrollment
Feb. 2009 - Clinical Trial Surgery - Freedom Lumbar Disc inserted - L5-S1
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 PM

Kathy,

This is such great news. March 17th is the first day of your new life. I will most definitely have a green beer and toast in your honor.

1. I agree with Phylly: the grabbers are life savers!
2. Get some slippers that slip on / off easily.
3. Rent / buy some DVDs, stock up on magazines / books.
4. Nexcare First Aid Waterproof Adhesive Dressing with Pad, 6 x 6 Inch These will help when showering -- they are great and waterproof, but make sure not to aim the shower head directly at the bandage just in case.
5. A heating pad helped me often.
6. I have a back massager that has 2 rotating heads (it is square in shape). After surgery, I would lay down on this and work out the tight areas in my low back. This thing was/is a life-saver.
7. Make sure you have some loose waisted pajama pants (to avoid putting pressure on/around incision).
8. A Theracane really help as well.
9. Extra pillows or a "body pillow" -- these help when placed under your knees to take stress off your lower back while sleeping supine.
10. For physical therapy down the road, resistance bands really helped with upper back strength.

You'll be on the other side in no time! Please keep us posted.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.

Last edited by Justin; 03-02-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM

I know that I am always questioning whether my pain is bad enough to warrant surgery. I even talked to my PM doctor about it, and she reassured me that my pain was real, and affecting my life, and I should not feel like I am not taken seriously. But I continue to have doubts, and at the same time look forward to having surgery. I have the same sort of excitement looking forward to surgery, and I don't even have surgery scheduled.

I will be hoping the best for you. And looking forward to hearing all about your surgery and recovery, and the lessening of your pain.

As far as things to have on hand, I've read that having some plastic containers, sorting-type boxes, to keep stuff on or by the bed to keep everything you need on hand. I've thought about the type of container that college students use for keeping their shower/bathroom stuff sorted and ready to take to the shower.

Remember stuff to stay occupied, though with a small child(ren), maybe you won't have much free time. But books, movies, crosswords, iPod, audio books, needlepoint...anything you like to do, and can do without much movement.

Here are some other things:
back scratcher
long handled bath scrubber
pill organizer and note pad to keep track of when to take them
satin sheets or pj's (to make getting out of bed easier)
extra pillows
slip on shoes
slippers with good soles
soft and warm socks
paper plates, bowls, plastic cutlery
deodorant body wipes / wet wipes for freshening up
dry shampoo
body lotion for dry skin
lip balm
mouthwash
throat lozenges / Chloraseptic spray
bed tray
cell phone or phone next to the bed
bell or walkie talkies for alerting family members to needed help

46 years old. 12-15 years of intermittent pain, 2 years with constant pain.

DDD, L4-5 and L5-S1, pain confirmed by discogram.
PT, ESI's, Facet injection and block, Acupuncture - all no help.

2-level (Prodisc-L) ADR surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli, May 26, 2009.

Currently taking Opana-ER (tapering off) and oxycodone
Old 03-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Kathy:

I am so happy that you are going to get your issues fixed. I hope that this is the answers to all of your prayers and that you get your quality of life back. It has been nice to get to know you, in spite of the lousy circumstances we were in, that landed us here. I am very excited for you.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM

Default Don' settle for a grabber

Don't settle for one grabber. Here's why. It's not like one of your arms is going to grow long enough to touch the ground while the other is using the grabber. You have two arms, get two grabbers!!! I dual wield my dual grabbers like a ninja using two knives!!! I've gotten so good with them, I can pick up a full coffee cup without spilling a drop. The best of luck with your procedure!!! (disclaimer: I do not own stock in a grabber or manufacturer or sell them directly to the public)
Dynesys stabalization and decompression May 07
Removed Nov 08 Due to persistant debilitation bilateral nerve pain which resolved with removal
Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 PM

Kathy,
I just went through with a ALIF and I was scared also. I had many questions running through my head too. I almost got up and left the hospital, but I thought about all the pain that I had been in the last few years. I also wanted my life back. A few things that I thought I could recommend are:
1. Allergy/Cold Medicine that you can take with your other meds. (We are in Texas, and my allergies drove me nuts after surgery)
2. I slept in my recliner (still do sometimes) with pillows all around me and under my legs. My wife had to help me up. I couldn't barrel roll out of our beds that easy.
3. Stool Softener
4. Carmex
5. House shoes with rubber soles
6. Remove obstacles that might trip you, or get in the way of the toilet.
7. Shower seat
8. Ice bags (I am sure these are taken of already)
9. Another Grabber to pick up all the other ones that you have dropped!
10. Big cup to keep ice in with some water to sip on.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdoc714 View Post
Kathy,

I'd rethink the four leaf clover thong. Based on a less than pleasant experience I had during a prostate exam, you DO NOT make the doctor to laugh!

Good luck,

Bob
I must know what you said/did? Was it the classic "I like to be kissed before I get scr**ed" I've heard those prostate dr's are some pretty serious dudes. Seems like with a job like that, you'd have to have a sense of humor to get through the day.
Numerous MRI's, PT, chiropractic, accupuncture, TENS therapy, massage therapy, facet injections, epidural injections, Nerve study, Discogram, confirms pain in L4/5, IDET, decompression, Bi-lateral neurotomy L3/4/5, denied by insurance twice, in Active L clinical trial, had surgery March 17, 2009 in Miami, FL- received Active L disc
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-04-2009, 04:43 AM

Default Thanks & did pre-op today

Wow! I am now overwhelmed at how much I have to do! Tons of great information, raised seats, butt pad (think a boppy would work?), silk pj's, multiple grabbers (not just for grabbing; but possibly a future spiney grabber war in the future? as JohnB has so kindly shared) and so much more. The medical supply store will be happy to see me coming. I am already ike a kid in the candy store with all the neat gadgets they have (I know, horribly boring and sad).
Eastex- My allergies have been kicking my a** for over a month now. I initially thought I had the flu, because both of my kids had it (even though we all had flu shots; same thing happened last year). I hate Texas allergies, I take Zyrtec and Benadryll daily, as well as the Nasonex nose spray; all to no avail. So, I probably will have to get some good stuff from the my family dr. before surgery.

I had my pre-op bloodwork, EKG and chest x-ray today. My last hurdle to jump before I am cleared for takeoff! I am terrified that my bloodwork will have something not good in it. Hopefully, it will be fine and if not, maybe I can have a 'do over'. I know the other two were fine, no issues there. Although, I got more action during the EKG from the man giving it than I have had in awhile! I am not even sure why the heck they even gave me one of those nice little gowns to cover up, when they were just going to take it off (oh yeah, I got the guy in training, lots of fondling- I mean, searching for the right spots )

Thank you all for the great ideas, most of it was stuff I hadn't even considered. I'd be a train wreck without all of you! Thank you so much, Kathy
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 AM

Kathy:
Wishing you all the best in your surgery!
Love the idea of the four-leaf clover thong--but your surgeon will never see it because you go into the OR in your birthday suit...maybe a tatoo???

Before each of my surgeries--wrist, both shoulders and neck--I felt "fine" and questioned whether they were necessary...and each time, once the surgeon opened up the area, there was no question about injury. I was excited about getting my ADR but when I woke up in recovery and realized that the surgery had been done, I really went into a panic--short-lived, thankfully!

I hope your surgeon has already given you the list of meds and herbal supplements to stop before surgery, such as aspirin.

Only a couple of things to add: the morning of the surgery, I showered with Betadine solution (don't know if that's really necessary but I had been told to do that for previous surgeries). Also, get laxatives in addition to stool softener, just in case, and vaseline or something to moisten your nasal passages which will be dry. The nexcare bandages Justin mentioned are a life saver enabling you to shower.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM

Kathy,

As he was "lubing up" his glove he joked "I always feel cheap when I do this". My response was "If you think you feel cheap now, I'm making my co-pay with two rolls of quarters". I didn't realize he was one of those hysterical laughers. Just another one of the lessons you learn in life.........

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 PM

Kathy,
We were talking about this on another post, but have you tried Neilmed sinus rinse or a netipot for your allergies. It flushes out all that crap that is in the air. Can they hide some of the equipment you need with your insurance? Maybe the walker? They may catch on to what you are doing though. Just a little illegal thought!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 AM

Default KBear

Hi Kathy
I am busy at this time.
Go and get ready.
I will chime in soon
Be Strong and keep moving forward
talk soon
Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
Kathy,
We were talking about this on another post, but have you tried Neilmed sinus rinse or a netipot for your allergies. It flushes out all that crap that is in the air. Can they hide some of the equipment you need with your insurance? Maybe the walker? They may catch on to what you are doing though. Just a little illegal thought!
I actually have a walker that I am going to borrow from family, my step-dad had hip replacement surgery a couple of years ago and still has his. I need to borrow a long handle paddle for the kids, on second thought, maybe two lab size shock collars with a remote control! (Disclaimer: I am not serious, kids will be with family so I can get some REST... which is impossible with them in a 5 mile radius). I think I need to take out a second mortgage to buy all the stuff I need after surgery!

Ok, so get this, I weaned off the morphine twice a day; only took a week. Well, I call my pain dr. (here in TX) and ask them to call in my new Rx for Vicodin 6 times a day. I tell the nurse that the dr told me to go up to 6 a day from 4 a day as I weaned off the morphine, then to work on getting that down. Well, those jerks tell me that I am having surgery on the 17th (Holy Sh*t, Are they joking? I had no idea that I was having surgery!) and that I should be on no more than 4 a day. Pieces of crap, they are not even the one doing the surgery. That dr said I should cut down as much as possible, which is pretty subjective. I can not wait to be better and be done with jerks of pain dr's. Oh, and I hope they have really bad back pain someday and their pain dr treats them just like they treat others. (yeah, I know hateful, or as I like to call it karma)
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 AM

Kathy, I totally get where you are coming from. "Until someone walks in our shoes............" I have been cut back to 1 percocet a day before surgery, which is just a joke. I am on the oxycontin, but honestly, I have never noticed any improvement in my pain when I went on it. I'm on a very low dose, but still. I am hanging on by a thread till surgery Monday. Today was incredible with our grandbaby being born, but after being out of the house all day, without any pain meds, no ice, I dragged my sorry ass home, threw the ice pack on my back and collapsed. Now I'm going to flop into bed. Hang in there. Soon you will be on the other side! We will have post op stories to tell, for sure!

Cindylou
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindylou View Post
Kathy, I totally get where you are coming from. "Until someone walks in our shoes............" I have been cut back to 1 percocet a day before surgery, which is just a joke. I am on the oxycontin, but honestly, I have never noticed any improvement in my pain when I went on it. I'm on a very low dose, but still. I am hanging on by a thread till surgery Monday. Today was incredible with our grandbaby being born, but after being out of the house all day, without any pain meds, no ice, I dragged my sorry ass home, threw the ice pack on my back and collapsed. Now I'm going to flop into bed. Hang in there. Soon you will be on the other side! We will have post op stories to tell, for sure!

Cindylou
Cindylou,
I am so excited for you to be having surgery on Monday! What do they think your recovery will be like? Weeks or Months? CONGRATULATIONS on the grandbaby! How exciting! I have the baby fever soo bad. I can't wait until I am better and can have another. My 'baby' is 3 now and gets mad when I call her a baby. Was it a boy or a girl? I pray you will soon be out of pain and can spend your time holding the baby and not hurting.
Had Baby #3 after ADR!
Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Cindylou,

What a rollercoaster ride you've been on. A great big congratulations on that new baby. What a great distraction at this time. They bring such a joy into our lives.

You'll be on the other side before you know it. I wish you every good luck.

Dale
Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Kathy and Cindy Lou,
I wish you both the best with your upcoming surgeries. I hope you both heal well and it resolves your pain issues. Pain sucks the life right out of us. CL congratulations on the new baby. Kathy, I pray that you will soon be able to play with your "baby" again.
Bless you both,
Roblin
Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 AM

Kathy, it is supposed to be 3-5 days in the hospital, and 6 weeks on crutches. I certainly don't mean to minimize it at all, but after the other very invasive surgeries I have had, this sounds much more realistic for me to tackle. If that makes any sense. Surgery is still surgery, any way you cut the pie, but I have great hopes for this surgery. I'll remark more about it on a new thread, so as not to hijack your thread.

Best wishes to you too!

Cindylou