Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Im new in the Main forums forums; ANTHONY Yesterday 05:11 PM ANTHONY Hello everyone, I've been reading posts for a while and decided to join ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Default Im new

ANTHONY
Yesterday 05:11 PM
ANTHONY
Hello everyone, I've been reading posts for a while and decided to join in. About 3 months ago i thought i was having a heart attack. It turned out to be problems in my neck. I had pain in both arms shoulders to the ctr of my back. I have numbness on both ring fingers and a strange feeling above my left hand,almost as if it was swollen. If i do anything that involves my arms being raised up, it kills. I haven't worked for 2 months. I been to a chiro for decompression it seem to help massages and stim. Which helped too but seem to personify that feeling above my left hand, the feeling of being swollen. If that makes any sense. todays a good day, but i haven't really done anything physical. I wish you all well and speedy recovery. Anthony

Ques. What would be the best way to treat a small herniated c5 c6
Old 04-06-2010, 11:00 PM

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like your experiencing some spinal cord compression. Since the herniation is still small, you might try physical therapy. Some of us have had bad experiences with chiros and you might consider giving him up unless he specializes in herniations.

You should be warned that even physical therapy can take time so you should be careful with your movements and if it hurts, do not do it.

I had some luck with an inversion table too.

If all else fails, surgery might be a possibility but always try less invasive procedures first, especially on a virgin spine. If you can avoid surgery, I would.

Good luck, Dale
Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 PM

Default Thanks

Dale
i appreciate your input. It seems any minor lifting sets off some horrible pain.. Palms get hot, pain in right shoulder down arm to the hand. Icing helps.
I was thinking of getting an inversion table.the only thing i let the chiro do, is decompression.dale do you think it will go away in time?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:58 AM

Default Inversion table

I tried the inversion table and it doesn't work for the cervical areas. I felt the effect only in the lower back. I think you will find it a waste of money. I suggest trying one out somewhere before buying. Or, make sure there is a return policy with no questions asked. Good luck.

9/22/09 -Dr B opened me up to find a staph infection was eating my vertebrae causing ADR subsidence. Had to remove all 3 ADR's and convert to 3 level fusion. Mostly pain free 2 weeks post op.

9/20/10 - I think I jinxed myself. As soon as I told dr b and dr Sullivan I was doing well (on 6/1/10) I tanked and have experienced the return of pain. My neuro says the new pain is at t4.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Sorry about that, I only have lumbar problems. Anthony, could your herniation 'heal' with time? The simple answer is yes with a great big however! The therapy you receive can make all the difference as well as the way you move. Choosing the best health care professionals is a problem for all of us. Just read about some of the failures caused by surgeons themselves. I also believe my chiro caused my initial rupture.

So, if you get the right help and protect your cervical spine, you might improve but then again, you might not.

There is a therapy which helped both my husband and me tremendously. It is flexion/distraction therapy using the Cox table, not the electric one. It is a form of decompression therapy and is completely non-invasive, causing no pain. If done properly, you could find the relief you seek. Finding someone who does it properly is a problem in itself.

I also found a lot of relief from my nerve damage with accupunture but again, it's still depends on the professional.

I found no one by myself. All those I chose were referrals. A word of warning here is appropriate. I know many people with back problems who swear their doctors are the best. Most are still suffering???? Choose your referrals carefully.

Dale
Old 04-08-2010, 11:10 PM

Default Hello

Dale and steve

thanks for the info.i can use it for a direction. My life seems to have stopped.i found, in this site people with the same struggle.and i realize that things could be worst.but over all this site gives hope...thank you so much.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Default re small herniated C5/6

Hi Anthony and Welcome
I've had mostly lumbar probs for years plus a couple of surgeries and then later on developed a small disc bulge at the same area as you have. The worse thing that happened to me was that one day I couldn't move my head at all w/o terrible pain and could only look around with my eyes.. at that point I tried the "wait and see" type of therapy but after a few weeks my range of motion was still limited so went to the Urgent Care doc and had a shot of Toradol to loosen up muscle spasms and then saw my OSS for imagining (MRI) again.

Basically I had to ride it out as the disc bulge isn't big enough to do anything tho I do notice that when I try to do exercises that involve my arms and that aggravate C5/6 then I'll get a recurrence of pain/symptoms. Also if I talk with my phone crammed between my ear, chin, and shoulder while I shop or do any multi-tasking (also brings on a migraine).

If you know you have a small bulge I'm guessing you've had diagnostics at that level like MRI. What has your doctor recommended (orthopedic or neurosurgeon ) re relief or other?
Old 04-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Default Hi maria

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE.I CANT DO ANYTHING THAT INVOLVES MY ARMS.EXAMPLE HAMMERING A NAIL OR HOLDING A SHELF UP WITH BOTH HANDS WHILE SOMEONE FASTENS IT TO WALL OR CARRYING 6 SHOPPING BAGS.WHEN I DO I GET PAIN FROM BETWEEN MY SHOULDERS THE UNDER MY SHOULDER BLADES DOWN MY ARMS AND MY HANDS FEEL WEAK, ALMOST AS IF THEY WERE SWOLLEN (LEFT) MORE THAN RIGHT. LAST NITE I HAD A STRANGE NUMBING PAIN ON MY SHOULDER BLADES. MY ORTHOPEDIC'S PHYSICIANS ASSISTANT SUGGESTED A neurosurgeon, HE IN TURN DID A QUICK PHYSICAL TEST AND TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD SEEK PT. AM CURRENTLY LETTING A CHIROPRACTOR DO DECOMPRESSION ON MY NECK.AND I DO GET THE ELECTRIC STIM. I AM SLATED TO SEE THE NEROSURGEN IN 2 WEEKS AND CURRENTLY FIGHTING WITH MY INS CO UNITED HEALTH CARE, WHO TERMINATED ME FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASONS,AFTER 9YRS I ALSO DID SEE A NEUROLOGIST. WHO PERFORMED A EMG ON ONE SIDE OF MY BODY. AFTER ASKING HIM IF HE NEEDED TO DO THE OTHER SIDE, HE SAID IT WASN'T NESSCARY.I'M TAKING CYCLOBENZAPRINE (MUSCLE RELAXER, ADVIL AND ICING AND MASSAGES SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS. I'M ALSO LOOKING FOR A CHIRO WITH THAT COX TABLE.OH MARIA IT A NITE MARE. HOW ARE YOU COPING?
PS MY C5 C6 SMALL CENTRAL HERNIATED. DIFFERENT FROM A BULGE YES?? SORRY I'M VENTING
Old 04-10-2010, 04:48 AM

Anthony,

Where do you live?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:10 AM

Default my cervical spine

Anthony,
I have long had lumbar spine problems and had to deal with them altho I must admit when my neck goes out I have to get it right or else it's misery with the pain and for me usually a migraine as well (not always but often). Like last night I was going to reply to your post but was slouching with my laptop on my lap while on the sofa and my neck was just killing me and then my head started to kill so had to take my migraine meds and knock out for the night.

Toradol 60mg IM is great for my muscle spasms for both neck and lumbar area altho that's a once in awhile treatment. Other than that I have to rest with the proper cervical pillows and meds to ward off the pain/spasms.

You might want to try and contact Mark Mintzer to see if he can hook you up with an excellent doctor in terms of checking you out further. Many of us here have utilized Mark's services and been quite pleased for the assistance.

I wouldn't know whether you need surgery or you don't tho I do know that suffering like you are deserves some intervention that is helpful in alleviating pain and symptoms if possible and allowing for maximum function if and when possible.

Bulges, herniations, protrusions and so forth.. the language of reports seems to depend on who is doing the interpreting and reporting on the diagnostics however whenever you go to a new doctor it's best to bring a copy of your films plus your report so each individual physician can view the films and arrive at his or her own conclusion.

Check out ChiroGeek's Home Page great information there to soak up in your spare time. His information can better help you understand the terminology re herniation,bulge and so forth.. very easy to understand so check it out!

Be careful with any treatments to the cervical area in terms of adjustments and so forth. I'd make sure to get a really good diagnosis first.

Last edited by Maria; 04-10-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Anthony, it sounds like your symptoms are quite serious for a 'small' herniation. Is there any mention of moderate or severe findings on MRI?

Is this from a specific injury? Did this come on gradually?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-11-2010, 02:07 AM

Default Hi Mark

Here is what my mri report says.
There is a straightening of the normal cervical spine lordosis.There is decrease in signal intensity of the inter vertebral discs on c2 to t1 on the weighted images. a small bulging disc is present c4 c5. There is a central herniated disc at c5 c6 measuring 3 mm with left side more involved mildly flattening cervical cord at the c6 level measuring 2mm in thickness an 10mm in length displaying high signal intensity on the t2 weighted images. this abnormality is also seem on the axial t2 weighted images.the cord is not expanded this level. theres no evidence of tonsillar herniation. bone marrow is normal.
Mark...it was hard for me to write all of this.i guess not understanding it , scares me to death.I AM SCARED.
I didn't have a accident. Just worked hard. Washing windows. I appricated your opinion.
Thanks anthony
Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Anthony,

Unfortunately, I can't help you with New York doctors but I can address the fact that you're scared. I was scared. We all were scared.

You need to know that your most important decision, after deciding what procedure you want to do, which only you can decide - is the choice of doctor.

How do you do that, you ask? First, seek several opinions and ask as many questions of everyone until you're satisfied with your understanding of what's going on and what needs to be done to resolve your pain. Only when you know the various options of what can be done, the risks, the percentages of success and failure (which are almost always skewed) can you decide what is best for your circumstances. But also let me tell you that chances are, there is help for you and you will not have to live your life in pain and disability.

Many doctors, especially spinal surgeons, are egocentric. This alone should not rule them out as qualified physicians but if a doctor tells you 'my way or the highway', go elsewhere. If someone tells you their doctor is fantastic after their 3rd surgery, say thank-you and move on.

You're overwhelmed, we all were overwhelmed, but once you have a game plan, you can stay focused and get on with it.

I'm not even remotely close to the knowledge of others on this forum but your MRI doesn't sound that bad. I'll let others interpret but the 'mildly flatterning the cervical cord' means your disc, the cushiony stuff between your vertabrae, is pressing on your spinal cord, which is causing most, if not all, of your symptoms. (If I'm wrong, I know someone will correct me).

So put your energies into gaining knowledge - and good luck,

Dale
Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 AM

Default Hi Dale

Thanks for the advice.
Today was the day my ins co reinstated me, I'm sure you've heard the story before.Anyway I have been in contact with Mark. And I will continue to educate myself. Its hard to keep my head up sometimes.I wish you well.

Anthony
Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM

Default How are you?

Hey Anthony,
Haven't seen you post for a while and I'm wondering how you're doing.
I hope to hear you're feeling better and that's why you've not posted however I would certainly "get it" if you've not posted because you feel worse.

take care ~ Maria
Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

Get your own personal TENS unit. Your insurance should pay.

Also in my neighborhood we have a Dicks Sporting Goods and they have an inversion machine. I would go try it occasionally (for free of course) but it didnt help me. It was difficult getting up off of it.

If you are in NY you have access to some of the best doctors in the world.

NY NOT New Jersey. Im in NJ but I wouldn't go to a NJ surgeon.

Also try some deep tissue massage.

Exhaust all options before you let them cut into you.

Oh...and listen to Mark.......

Feel better!
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 05-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Goodmorning Maria
Thanks for checking in on me. I ended up moving,adjusting to my new place has taken a bit of time.I've had good days and not so good days.I been taking sarapin shots? (B12/cortison).It helps. Have you heard of it?Hope your feeling well too.Anthony
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 PM

Hey Eddie
Thanks for the advice, I recently moved, hence the delay in responding. Im still adjusting. I have less space now. But i when I get a bit more organized I will buy a inversion table.I've been getting deep tissue massages and they do help.Researching Drs also. I hope you have more good days that bad. Anthony
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Default re sarapin

Anthony,
I'm glad to hear you're getting some relief and your post encouraged me to google what you mentioned re treatment. I ended up pasting a post I found elsewhere because the content was related to another topic someone mentioned so I thank you for posting about the Sarapin.

I don't know about long term reported outcome or results with this however at least if your mind is freed up for a while even from pain at least that gives you energy for other thoughts, pursuits,further investigation/research, actions and so forth.

I'm editing this post a few days later to add that I'm having a really vengeful flareup of my low back pain with coccyx pain that I've not had in years I think and spasming of paraspinal musculature.. it's just stinks!!!! I usually have very good pain control in the last few years so when a big flare up like this hits again I'm wishing I'd'a had surgery maybe. Then again I'll just wait this out and it will go away hopefully (soon).

Maybe I'll look into someone giving Sarapin injections. take care and thanks Anthony

Last edited by Maria; 05-20-2010 at 05:26 PM.