Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss prodisc-L L4-L5 in the Main forums forums; i wanted to thank everyone for there replys. i am now 9 weeks 4 days postop. update goes as follows ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2006, 10:58 AM

Default prodisc-L L4-L5

i wanted to thank everyone for there replys.
i am now 9 weeks 4 days postop. update goes as follows the major leg pain is getting better. my biggest problem at this point is when waking from bed my legs feel like there asleep apon waking this feeling used to last hrs now its down to under a hr. numb spot on my feet has moved to mainly the big toe. which is a good sign that its not going to be with me forever. but still is a pain in the butt as wearing shoes is the pitts and must wear socks to bed as my feet feels everything and will wake one up from a sound sleep. sat the 9/30 was my last day for avinza {time release morphine} which is a big step in the correct direction. i am still taken percocet and neruotin 1800mgs aday. also magnesium and b-12 flexarill. PT has helped a great deal as i had major problems with my legs after this procedure. as far as my back goes i have a slight back ache but that could be the PT as she is working on the back muscles now. so in general at this point i am pleased in having the procedure. and hope to return to work 2 days short of the 12 week mark. once i am back to normal work hrs then i should be able to state it was the best money i've ever spent.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-08-2006, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

That sounds like a good recovery to me. But you are are on Morphine AND Percoset simultaneously?
How long do you think until you are off the narcotics?

I have had enough of Oxycontin but I sure hope I don't need Morphine AND Oxycontin together. Would that be normal?
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 10-08-2006, 11:29 PM

Red face

I was on Morphine plus Oxycodone too, still am, but I'm only 2.5 weeks post surg L4-5 ADR. I'm hoping this will get me off both. The Morphine was the every-day, while the Oxy was for 'breakthrough' pain(tho I needed it every day). I wouldn't expect to be on extra meds than U R on now if on narcotics except while in hosp. Hope it wprks 4 U!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:44 AM

eddie
morphine is a once a day thing. and percs are for break though.see i went over seas for my surgery so one takes his or her reg meds while over there. then once you return you work on getting off the pills. my reg dose avinza {time release morphine} was 60mgs aday. after my return my dr gave me a script for 14 days at 30mgs to ween off the morphine. which i am now completey off the morphine as of 9/30. and we traded that for 1600mgs aday neurotin for distraction pain. and i still take 4 7.5/325 percocet a day.
my goal is to be off all narc 4 months postop. i return to work on 10/23 which is 2 days light of 12 weeks postop. i expect to need one more script for percs to adjust to the return of standing all day at work.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 10-09-2006, 10:50 AM

*Work Accident(bad fall): 12/16/03
*Diagnosed with herniation and DDD at L4-L5
*Discectomy for herniation: 4/1/05 (fragments removed, MUCH scar tissue left)
*Many epidurals and facet injections...no relief
*5/15/06 discogram confirmed L4-L5 also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
*Liberty Mutual Workers Comp
*200mg. Oxycontin
*20mg. Valium
*2100mg.Neurontin (Gabapentin)
*Testosterone&HCG
eddie see that 200mgs of oxycontin a pain managment dr would have given you a time release med and oxycontin should have been breakthough 200mgs aday is alot.
the idea behind time release morphine like avinza or kadian is to have the person on a continal 24hrs aday med and then a smaller fast acting med like percocet for breakthough.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-09-2006, 06:02 PM

Just wanted to add that my Oxycodone is 5 mg, so it's the same as one Percocet without the acetamenophen. That's the breakthrough med. The Avinza (AKA Morphine) is time released and I've already cut that in half. It works well until I'm upright for more than a few minutes. Then I need the Oxy. Does your Oxycontin control your pain steadily? It didn't for me-it was a roller coaster of pain control every few hours. So, my point is that I didn't go up in pain meds, but down, (same for charles??) so I'm hoping for the same for you. good luck!
Old 10-09-2006, 06:47 PM

michelle
yes ive gone down on pain meds all though its been rough with the insane distraction pain ive had for the last 8 weeks.
i am all done with avinza.
i take at this time of my recovery 4 7.5/325 perc
a day sometimes ill take two at once in the morning as the morning is the worst time of day for me.
since the nerve pain the doctor added neruotin 400mg 4 times a day.
prilosec once a day
and 10mg flexarill 3 times aday
i expect to have to have another months supply of percs at that point i should and hope things calm abit to do away with them also.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-09-2006, 11:54 PM

Chuck, I gotta say congrats on getting off the Avinza. That's so hard to do when you're still in pain! It's strange to me that am is worse for you. The longer I'm up, the more I hurt. Before and after surgery. Weird. Let us know how your return to work goes too!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 PM

michelle
i have problems in the evening also like near 7 or 8 pm
i can no longer sit or stand but is resolved by going to bed.
i the mornings thou my feet feel as they were tucked under me all night hurts to the touch and feels as they are asleep.
this lasts about an hour to a 1 1/2 hrs.
so i suppose because at night theres a resolve to the problem i dont count it.
chuck
ps being off the avinza is nice no more sena-c {laxitive}
facet block neg
3 surgeons later

Last edited by chasswen; 10-10-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:54 PM

Thumbs up

It amazes me that you're going to be able to go back to work with all that! I'm such a wuss when it comes to pain. I still spend about 18-20 hours on my back in bed right now just cause it hurts more when I sit up. Do you remember where you were with that (how much you were up) at 3 weeks out? I worry that despite increasing my walking a few 100 feet each day that going back to work is going to be a shock since I can't lay down to let my spine decompress while there. Gotta find something to worry about, now that I know the implant isn't going to pop out, right?
Old 10-10-2006, 06:14 PM

heheh you are going to worry yourself silly.
i must get back to work as i am the primary bread winner
and living on 50% less money is costing a small fortune.
so i must try to get back into the swing of things even if the first few weeks are part time.
check your email.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-13-2006, 05:43 PM

hiya all
update goes as follows 10 weeks post-op legs are still giving me some problems mainly mornings they feel like there asleep for about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs then they feel semi ok untill the evening when they start to ache. but bed will normally solve that problem. i have been released from PT. with it left open for a month if i decide i need more.
and i still have a target date of oct 23rd to try to return to work.
hopefully ill be able to deal with being on my feet for a long periods of time.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Chuck... how do you sleep?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:25 PM

i am sleeping much better then 3 weeks ago.
thanks for asking
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-14-2006, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Chuck... not what I meant...

What position do you sleep in. The fact that you wake up with problems makes me wonder if the way you sleep actually causes some aggravation. Perhaps a change would make you more functional in the morning.

Mark
Old 10-14-2006, 10:18 AM

ahhhh lol
i sleep on my side and i dont cross my legs.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Administrator

You might try sleeping on your back with some pillows under your knees. If you are changing a natural sleeping position it can be tough, but if you get to the point where you sleep in an unloaded position and it doesn't aggravate your spine, it'll be worth it. I have no idea if this will help you... something to think about and try.

Mark
Old 10-14-2006, 05:47 PM

ok i'll give it try. thanks
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-14-2006, 06:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to imkathy

This is not exactly a reply to the sleeping issues, its more of a "what should I expect next" deal... I met with Dr Bitan, only to be told that I need to go for tests, Facet Block L5 -S1, bilaterally; Discogram L3-S1; CT Lumbar Spine with sagittal reconstruction post Discogram L3-S1. Anyone ever hear of this Facet Block? It sounds very similar to the epidural shot that, well, basically did nothing for me. I then need to meet with Dr Bitan after the Discogram and CT for consultation. I assume that this will be the deciding factor if I am to be a candidate for the artifical disc replacement or if I go for fusing. I am not thrilled with the concept of fusing. It sounds to me like an installment plan, since it is not a one shot deal. Any thoughts? Also, anyone know if the adr is multiple surgeries like the fusing process?

Thanks
Kath
Old 10-14-2006, 06:59 PM

The facets are the small joints of bone that stick out from the main vertebral body. They're doing a block to see if that's where your pain is coming from, and a discogram to see if the disc is the origin of the pain. I think they're trying to decide what surgery would help you. If it's the facets, there's a nerve ablation they can do, if it's the disc, it's fusion, or ADR. The facet block is totally different from an epidural, though the areas are close to each other, they're seperated by a the epidural membrane. They shoot lidocaine and sometimes a steriod right into the little joints (there's two per vertebrae-one each side of spinal cord), and then see what happens to your pain over the next day. I don't think it'll be an installment plan on surgery unless they're both causing pain. Good luck, and keep us updated!!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:10 PM

wow michelle nice job
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 10-16-2006, 09:27 PM

Smile Your return to work Charles

So, Charles, hope you're enjoying your last week off work!! Are you still planning on going back on the 23rd? I hope you're feeling so much better! Let me know how it goes, as I am nervous about my own return to work. I spoke to my supervisor yesterday, and they're already making plans for what I can and cannot do when I come back. I think they'll be really great, but I'm not hopeful that at just 6 weeks out I can go directly back to 10 hour days. Anyway, enjoy your week, and keep us updated!!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

I tell ya, there are days where I'm so drugged up, I'll fall asleep with my head on the computer and Sweety has to come and get me to come to bed. I'm wary of wearing a backbrace because I sleep in 20 different positions a night. (But I gotta do what I gotta do, so I'll do the do) However, if I'm in a brace, I'm stuck sleeping on my back or stomach. That will be tough unless I'm all drugged up since I usually fall asleep on my side.

Is the backbrace normally a 6 week thang?

Does the backbrace come off in the shower?

How do you all deal with the backbrace & sleeping?
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC
Old 10-16-2006, 10:49 PM

Smile Eddie-back brace

The brace is to be used "when patient is up and about". I log roll onto my side, sit up by pushing up sideways while swinging my legs off the bed. Then I put on the brace. In the shower, I have a shower chair, so no, the brace does not get a shower. I never asked if I could stand long enough to shower without the brace and no shower chair. You don't have to wear it to sleep. It's really just there to remind you what motions you shouldn't do while moving around. It's mostly to let your body heal from the trauma of the surgery before having to support it itself. I was told I could even take it off while sitting, but don't do that much since I can't sit comfortably. Chuck says the brace has the hard parts of it removed at 6 weeks, but the soft corset stays for 12 weeks. I really find that it's not comfortable to be up without the brace. The brace is really the least of my worries at this point.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:17 AM

I wore the brace with 3 months, changing metal stays at 6 weeks. I actually found it comfortable, or at least not uncomfortable. Are you wearing a tight t-shirt under the brace so it's not directly against your skin? That should make it more comfortable and no, it doesn't go into the shower. Just be careful and use common sense.

Dale
Old 10-17-2006, 10:31 AM

michelle
yes i am still going to try to make the grand return to work on the 23rd. at this point i dont believe staying out another week or two will make that big a diff. so i am going to give it a try.

eddie i am a side sleeper and for the first few weeks i even slept with the brace on. and was able to sleep on either side after surgery. the main reason i wore the brace to bed early on was i toss and turn also in bed and was worried that i would move the wrong way. at about 2 weeks i stopped wearing the brace to bed and only wore it while i was up.
as ds stated at 6 weeks the hard plastic thingy came off which made the brace much easier to deal with.
and changing out the stiff metal strips for the lighter ones was great.
i stopped wearing the brace at about 9 or 10 weeks as the brace seemed to ride on the nerve at the top of my butt it had to go. although i would wear it to drive and PT.
eddie your surgery is coming up i wanted to make sure you knew all will be fine!! the force will be with you.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 11-04-2006, 12:02 PM

hello everyone
heres the update. i havent posted in awhile. due to not wanting to run off at the mouth for things not being the same the day after posting wonderfull results.
it has been two weeks back to work as most know i am a toolmaker and standing is 95% of my job. week one i was able to work 30 hrs aday. my god it was rough. week 2 i was able to hang in there for 34 hrs.
i have no back pain to speak of at all. i am at week 14 post-op
now my legs as most know are a major problem.
as the nerve pain in my legs now is mostly in the feet now still waking with them feeling like i slept on them all night long. still takes about a hr in the morning for them to gain some what normal feeling. mainly the left leg pins and needles in the foot bottom and big toe. left foot being the worst and the right leg being close runner up so as the weeks pass nerve pain started just below the waist and was entirely both legs. which now the pain has no wheres else to go its just hanging out in the big toes. and burning on the bottom of both feet also hurts to the touch on the tops of both feet when its 100% flared up.
but all and all its improving very slowly at this point.
prehaps another week at 35 hrs and hopefully 40 hrs the week after is the game plan. as i came to the conclusion fri that working 40 hrs the following week just wasnt in the cards.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 11-05-2006, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Chuck, thanks for the update. Sorry about your leg pain. Discretion may be the better part of valor on returning to work full time. It's great that some people have the incredible bounce back from surgery... but we don't all get that. I hope your symptoms fade quickly... All the best,

Mark
Old 11-11-2006, 02:50 PM

well heres a brief update. its now almost 15 weeks post-op been off avinza for about 8 weeks and as of monday nov 6th no more percocet. still working part time target hours 35 hrs a week. i have NO BACK PAIN to speak of ahhh now the legs well i had 2 days i woke with just about no numbness in the right leg and one of those days i could feel both legs apon waking today woke with alittle numbness in both legs but surely are showing signs of going away. YIPPPEEEE.
my biggest problem now is my sleep pattens are totally hosed. so as my scripts run out im callen them done if possible. as of now i am taking 1800mgs neurotin,30mgs flexaril, and mag64 2 times a day.
i hope all is well with everyone.
and best wishes to david on his trip to the other side!!
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 11-18-2006, 01:12 PM

hello everyone
well its been a week since my last posting and i have great news.
as we all know ive returned to work and did work 35 hrs on my feet last week. well needless to say after work the feet were very sore. but as reported in prev posts i was waking with both legs numb below the knees that has now pasted. thank god!!
before surgery i had a numb burning spot on my upper thigh which is NO LONGER THERE!! and my legs now feel pretty good apon waking. with the right leg feeling almost 100% and the left leg still having slight numbness which passes pretty fast, now apon waking today after working 35 hrs last week on my feet both legs feel almost normal. only having a small numb spot on the bottom of the left foot just behind the center toes. and now for the back yesterday at work i was able to get behind a injection molding press and work on a mold in the press flexing and stretching without any problems to speak of.
next week we try to work 8 hrs aday for the three days before the holiday. i am hopeing to fair very well.!!
a very special thanks to PRO-SPINE and all there staff. anyone thinking of going over seas to have there surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli should be able to make that choice without any regrets!!!!
i surely dont and if i had to do it agian i surly would do it agian, Dr. B, Anita the Pro Spine Staff And all The Hospital Staff are all Wonderfull and Surely Are WORLD CLASS in there Care And Treatment. anyone needing help making this choice please feel free to contact me as i will be more then willing to help you!!
its been a rough recovery for me. and this procedure should'nt be taken with a gain of salt. and by all means dont listen to your surgeons. ADR RECOVERY IS NOT A WALK IN THE PARK!! i am able to report this good news of my recovery after 15 weeks 3 days post-op. so needless to say 6weeks is bullcrap. real life numbers are 10 to 16 weeks if there was alot of disc space missing. anyone with hardly any space left at the surgery level can expect some nasty distraction pains! and mind you this distraction pain i am talking about is very bad!! dont let anyone fool you.
but again it was worth it,as it does go away in time and my spine is now stable.
best wishes
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 12-01-2006, 08:29 PM

Indeed
Doctor increased my neurotin and its helped a lot I even was able to do all most 40 hrs this week. Yahoo lol at least now the feet are not 24/7 I have no back pain to speak of 
And I am guessing that my feet should resolve in the next few months. Finally some light at the end of the tunnel.
chuck
quick update soon as theres a change in my feet again i'll do a more detailed update.
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 12-03-2006, 04:02 PM

Default wedsday will be 18 weeks post-op.

well gang
i never thought i would be thinking like this as i havnt in a very long time but i am looking forward to going to work.my legs seems to feel better moving about all day. but look out once you sit down they sure do let you know you were standing all day long. at least now after working all day and sitting at the feet calm down in a few hrs. as before they did not.
this coming week i expect to work overtime pretty cool huh?
as far as my back is concerned i have no pain once in awhile i get a dull aches which passes if i move the right way. thinking the facets lock up abit.
i can stand all day and lifting isnt a problem.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to Blairsara

Chuck,
i read through your posts and I am so glad to hear that the surgery worked for you. I hope that you continue to do well. It took me about 8-9 months to recover (which is obviously not normal). i don't really know why it took so long, and my doctors couldnt give me a straight answer. Oh well. That might be related to what is going on now, but who knows.
Anyways, I just wanted to say that I am glad that it was successful for you. Although it wasnt that successful for me, I like to read about the stories where it works. Makes me know that people are relieved of their pain
Hope you had a great weekend.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
10/04-present new pain from facet joints caused by Charite; 10 facet blocks
12/06 rhizotomy left side
3/07 rhizotomy right side
5/10/2007 Charite removed, anterior IF, posterior instrumentation
180 mg MS-contin; Oxycodone; 16 mg Zanaflex
Old 02-11-2007, 12:54 PM

well it's been a long time since you all received a update.
here we go it's been 6 months and 2 weeks since surgery in Bogen Germany. a dear friend writing me a email update kinda reminded me it was time for a update i am so pleased to hear of Jessica's progress she's doing very well. as she had her surgery a few days before i had mine in Straubing Germany.
as far as myself i still am working 8 hrs aday on my feet all day. and at this point my back is 100% zero to no pain there. i can lift bend move etc.. with no problems.
now the feet on the other hand are still giving me a little grief still have numbness in my feet mostly after removing my shoes after work and when first getting into bed. i have reduced my neurontin by 800mgs a day. so i take 400mgs morning and afternoon and them 800mgs at bed time. without suffering so thats a diff improvment.
i also still have on my left shin a hyper sentive spot that can be pretty painfull.
the distraction pain in my feet is still improving very slowly but hey as long as its still doing better each week i'm not going to whin to much.
i have contacted pro-spine and was told this is in the normal range of recovery. and nerves can take 2 years to fully recover. as nerves only grow 1mm a month and the 25mm i grew was all LOST disc height. so i am in for the long haul.
anyone needing help please feel free to email me. as i will be glad to help.
also i want to send out well wishes for everyone whom has upcoming surgerys david kim's husband sean and everyone else i may have missed.
i have no regrets.
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Chuck, thanks for the update... it's nice to read about you being back to work without your LBP. The hypersensitivity, leg pain and numbness sucks... I hope to read about it fading away for you.

Ready for some skydiving?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-05-2007, 02:08 PM

well gang
it's been a few months since the last update. and i thought it was time for a new update and here it is. after many months of very bad distraction pain in the legs and feet. i sit here today WITHOUT ANY BACK PAIN OR LEG AND FEET PROBLEMS. i do however still have some issues during the week after standing on cement for 8 hrs straight feet still get very achy and numb after returning home but is slowly improving after all standing beats the hell out of the body.
anyone wanting to contact me please feel free to do so.
God Bless Dr. R Bertagnoli
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 05-06-2007, 01:45 PM

Thumbs up

day two still no back pain or no to very little leg and feet pain
hey I think we may be on to something here
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Default so great to hear

You're doing so well!!!!!! I remember when you were going over for this surgery~ Whooohooooo!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:28 PM

hello gang
well now its been 9 1/2 months and i can say my surgery was a 100% success still having no pain to speak of feet are continuing improve. i am now no longer taking percocet. and will be seeing my family doctor on june 1st and will be having him wean me off the neurontin. and this will be my last post on this topic as theres really nothing more to talk about. i surely hope that i have helped the people that i worked with to go to Germany to see the master. Dr. Bertagnoli any one who is thinking about ADR you can still feel free to contact me about my surgery and or help with going overseas for surgery.
everyone whom has had surgery and are having pain after surgery really must give it time before
worrying as this recovery can take up to two years to completey recover.
and i think the most important factor of ADR is the surgeon without dought.
god Bless Dr. Bertagnoli
Warm Regards
Chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 12-06-2007, 06:26 PM

Cool

well gang
i thought it was time for a update.
now at about 15 months i am no longer taking anything for pain at all. and neurotin has been reduced from 2400mg to 1200mg a day.
and by the way NO BACK PAIN!!!
biggest problem i had stopping the percocet was not sleeping for days on end. still not sleeping like i was before stopping but its improving slowly.
anyone needing questions answered please feel free to msg me i will be glad to help.
also mind you i was beginning to autofuse at my adr level so needless to say my facets were hosed before surgery and they dont bother me what so ever.
warm regards
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 03-16-2008, 03:37 PM

Cool

here's another thing i would have never dreamed of doing is tearing up 600 sq ft of wall to wall carpet.
and then installing hardwood pergo flooring. only problem i had the first week end was my legs felt like the first time i when snow skiing. but it passed in two days.
dr. bertagnoli paper work states after 12 weeks after adr manual labor is ok. and as far as the last mold i built and it weighting so much is i didn't have much choice as it was the only job in the building.
chuck
i believe one must listen to your body after surgery.and i didn't start doing this kind of stuff until i was 14 months out.
and the stronger you get those core muscles the better. and the way you lift is VERY IMPORTANT.
my surgery was aug 1st 2006. born again!!
facet block neg
3 surgeons later