Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Revision surgery in the Main forums forums; Has anyone had to have their artificial disc taken out? I know its a very low percentile of people but ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Blairsara
Default Revision surgery

Has anyone had to have their artificial disc taken out? I know its a very low percentile of people but anyone?? My surgery is scheduled for May 24th and I'm getting a bit nervous. It would be nice to talk to someone who has been through this.

Thanks.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
10/04-present new pain from facet joints caused by Charite; 10 facet blocks
12/06 rhizotomy left side
3/07 rhizotomy right side
5/10/2007 Charite removed, anterior IF, posterior instrumentation
180 mg MS-contin; Oxycodone; 16 mg Zanaflex
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 PM

hmmm blair
i dont recall seeing any removed. except after a few weeks post-op.
i believe they would normally just do a posteriori fusion leaving the adr in place.
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Chuck,
From the research that theyve done with doing the fusion but leaving the disc in place showed that the patients still suffered from a lot of pain. Theyre going to take out the disc through an anterior approach and put in the cage and then bmp. Then theyre going to drill four holes in my back to put in the screws and the rods. Sounds pretty intense, but its less invasive than what the neurosurgeon wanted to do. I know that this is the only thing that will stop the terrible pain that I've been in. But I'm getting a little nervous, as is to be expected.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-01-2007, 03:29 PM

wow blair
i truly will be praying for you in this upcoming surgery.
whos going to do the surgery?
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 AM

Chuck,
Dr. Regan is going to do the surgery and Dr. Watkins is the vascular surgeon. He's one of the top vascular surgeons in Los Angeles so I know I'm in safe hands.
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-02-2007, 07:52 AM

Blair,
I'm not seriously considering fusing at L5S1 yet but I've thought about it enough to conclude I'd rather have the adr removed. I get the impression that not many docs want to mess with the situation. If they do it's easier and less risky from their perspective to fuse the ADR in-place. If you can get an outstanding surgeon like Dr. Regan to take on the challenge that's the way to go. I can't recall anyone on these forums having the Charite fused.

Jim
Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 AM

You're in great hands and I wish you much luck Blair.

Allan
Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

I agree that Regan is a great surgeon and that Blaire is in good hands.

I hope to ask Dr. Regan, why remove the Charite's? Does it have to do with her age... leaving them in so long? There is discussion about potential continued slight motion with the prosthesis in place, but that doesnt satisfy my curiosity. They do posterio-lateral fusions all the time leaving unstable discs in place. A well placed ADR would provide more stability in the anterior column than a degenerated disc.

I look forward to findingout (with Blaire's approval.)

Mark

PS... did you see my grandbaby linked on the GPN site!!! tooo cool... never another so beautiful.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-03-2007, 10:04 AM

Default pissed off

Hey everyone.. thanks for your comments I appreciate it.
I'm pretty pissed off. I got into a pretty big fight with my brother yesterday and he had the nerve to kick me in the back right where I'm having all of my problems. Thank G-D I had my back brace on. But lets just say things are not good with our relationship as of right now and I'm really pissed off. I need to vent.
Who the hell does something like that? Seriously. And then to top it off after that happened I went to lie down to stop what was going on and then he took a cheap shot at me and hit me in the chest while I was lying down. And this happened right in front of my grandparents, his girlfriend, and my mom. My mom was yelling at him to stop but it didnt do anything. I'm done with him. After all these years and the fact that even though hes not all fu&#$ed up as he was 5 years ago he's the same person and nothing has changed.
So my back hurts a lot, which is normal because I'm always in pain. But it hurts more than usual. Probably because I had a very heavy person kick me and then punch me and I'm only 120 pounds whereas he is 200+. What a prick. ugggggggh.

Sorry.. I needed to vent. And it didnt help that we had to be in the same place tonight because it was passover.

Hope everyones doing well. And again thanks for your comments.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM

Default consolation

Blair,

It might comfort you to know that, in many countries in the world, what was done to you would be considered an offense worthy of jail time at least. Well, you probably already know that, being almost-a-lawyer. In any case, it was abuse and horribly wrong. I'd consider removing yourself from contact with someone who would do something like that.

Best luck and prayers,
Laura
Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

My reaction was much like Laura's.... At first I thought he was a kid that didn't know better. Sounds like an adult who is or will be an abuser. This is not ordinary family friction... he needs some help.

Fortunately, our spines are very resiliant. I know someone who was attacked in Miami Intl. Airport 10 months after Charite. surgery. She was pushed to the ground... kicked several times VERY HARD in her lumbar spine... She was having a tough recovery anyway and this did set her back.

It was very confusing, because 4 years ago... nobody in Miami knew about ADR and from the paramedics, to the ER staff, to the doctors... everyone was afraid to do anything. They kept her tied to a backboard for 8 hours... not knowing what to do. Finally, her friend lied to the staff and told them that she was a doctor and she demanded that they take her off the backboard. A series of xrays... calls to her surgeon... some pain pills and on her way.

She went on to a 100% recovery and is now doing wonderfully. A funny side note... she said, "I have fewer language problems in Germany than I did in Miami! More people speak English at the AlphaKlinik than at the county hospitals in Florida."

Mark
Old 04-03-2007, 04:36 PM

Blair,

I've been following your story and regret all that you're dealing with. To live with the pain, disappointment, apprehension and outright fear, all of which are very real, is difficult enough without having an unsupportive family member to put up with. Physical violence is a whole other story. Aside from the obvious hostility, the fact that he kicked you in your back and then again while you were lying down is representative of something else.

The first thing that comes to mind is substance abuse. Barring that, I'm in complete favor of castration which would inhibit his natural testosteronal aggresive tendancies.

Another way to deal with him is legally as Laura suggested but sometimes it's difficult to press charges against family members. No... I think you should cut off the bastard's balls!

Also, if you're still able to, you might try kicking him back. A directed, well placed kick serves so many purposes, don't you think? (not that I believe in fighting violence with violence, but really, is a testicular kick violence?)

On a more serious note, no one EVER deserves this type of physical abuse and I agree, removing yourself from a bad situation, even if it means distancing yourself from your brother, is in your best interests at this time. Surrounding yourself with caring, supportive people will do much more for your mental state than your realize.

I wish you well, Dale

Mark, if you need to edit this post, I understand.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 PM

What a bully. This makes me mad. I'd think of filing a police report and pressing charges.

You take care. - ans
Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 PM

Hi guys,
Thanks for all your responses. I really appreciate them. I'm still really upset, and probably will be for a very long time. I'm not going to do anything legal about it, but I am not going to talk to him for a very long time. I've forgiven him once when something like this happened a long time ago and I will not forgive again. In my book, when you do something like this more than once you deserve not to be forgiven.
Mark I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your friend. That's absolutely terrible. I'm glad to hear that she's ok. That's pretty scary!!

Dale - you are hysterical!! I was actually thinking about doing that today. But if I do who knows, he might take a bat across my back and that would be bad.

Anyways, Ive decided that I'm going to remove myself from a relationship with him. He has yet to call and apologize or even say anything. Whatever, he's always been a selfish person. It actually bewilders me that he is the older one by 4 years. Who wouldve known the way that he acts huh?

Again thanks for all your replies. It's a crappy situation to add on to a crappy situation. But as I always say - never give up.. maybe for this situation never give up that hell realize hes a complete child that needs help.

Talk to you all soon.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-04-2007, 05:45 AM

Blair,

Okay, if you are about 25 he has to be about 29 or 30....My initial impression was some sort of rebellious teenager with issues (which is bad enough) - but this is someone definitely old enough to know better. He may be your "brother" but it appears that he has other problems that need addressed!!! Anger management, counseling, even medication - something is not right with him to do that to you.

I definitely agree to remove yourself from such a toxic, abusive person. This is NOT what you need now. Keep yourself surrounded by positive people. You need to keep your mind in a good place.....It is very important to do so.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Eddie G

I would get a restraining order because he could have paralyzed you and he's old enough to know this. I would also keep my pain meds out of his reach since he seems to have issues.

I fell almost 3 feet, directly on my back, and the x-rays were perfect afterwards. Some people play sports after ADR and really take a risk but it seems like these discs can take some serious abuse. I wouldn't push it though.
If you decide to take him on, I would use an aluminum bat. Aim for his butt if you want to beat his brains in.
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC

Last edited by Eddie G; 04-04-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:59 AM

I'd aim elsewhere. I'd lighten up and charge him for attempted murder.

Take good care - ans
Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 AM

Default change in surgery date

So my surgery date has now changed from May 24th to May 10th. I have to see if I can take my finals early otherwise I have to take incompletes and wait until next spring semester to take my finals. Lets cross our fingers that this will not happen because it will totally suck.
No new update with my brother except for that he finally apologized. FINALLY! however, i'm taking that with a grain of salt. He needs to get help before I can have a relationship. And frankly, I'm a bit nervous that he might snap again and something could happen after my surgery and I might not be as lucky. I don't want to take that chance.
I'm getting kind of nervous about my surgery. I signed the consent forms yesterday. It's actually kind of funny because in my torts class we're talking about medical malpractice and informed consent that doctors have to give to their patients before having a surgery or some kind of procedure.

Hope everyone is doing well. My PM doctor put me on the long lasting morphine because the oxycontin stopped working. It really only lasted for a few days then I was back to lying on the couch with ice when I wasnt in class. I havent had to ice my back in 3 days!! How awesome is that. Ahhh how the little things make us smile After I recover from my surgery I'll probably be glowing so much that people will need sunglasses just to look at me

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-15-2007, 03:18 AM

Good luck to you and more power as you carry on in your law degree.

Your worry sure seems warranted but in the long run, we'll probably be consulting with you.

Good luck - ans
Old 04-15-2007, 08:46 PM

Default re everything

Hey Blair,
My surgery date is supposed to be 5/10 tho still am recovering from the 3 hammertoe repairs I had done last week on left foot. Starting to be able to be mobile with weight bearing tho the toes swell and hurt like heck if weight bearing a bit too much and that's just inside not even walking around outside.

I'd like to finish both feet first then back surgery esp. since I had become much more mobile with less pain with walking but it doesn't take much in terms of sitting to really bring on some intense back pain. Repositioning helps tho sometimes I've pushed the limit of my ill body positions/contortments and that's it... back pain lingers for a day or two, sometimes longer.

To the other subject of your brother ~ stay clear of him before and esp. after your surgery. I would hope he'd not pick on you at your most vunerable time postoperatively however, anger/frustration can breed inane reactions in some people so be extra careful!

Edited info to remove~ glad you read it Blair and thank you Dale for your response~

Take precautions and do not think it can't happen again. If it happens once it can happen again.

Good luck with all and please continue to keep us posted on your progression to surgery/thru surgery as I know I'm interested as are others~ take care

Last edited by Maria; 04-16-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: text subtraction
Old 04-16-2007, 12:42 AM

This is addressed to Blair but I wanted to tell Maria what strength of character it took, though I don't know your circumstances, to remove yourself from a difficult situation.

Blair, even our closest relatives and/or loved ones, for a myriad of reasons, may not be good for us. Though supposedly always there for us without judgement, we live in the real world and know this is not always the case. Sometimes it's in our own best interest to remove ourselves from their lives - be it father, mother, brother, sister, even husband or wife. We need to protect ourselves, especially when in fragile states as you are now and in the near future, even post-operatively. You have an achilles heal and it's the first thing he went for. Will he do it again? Without some intervention, my crystal ball says yes.

It is not for me or anyone else to get between you and your relationship with your brother but you said he did this once before. He obviously has problems from wherever they stem. What distresses me is that he finally apologized which raises the hair on the back of my neck, because it means you had some contact with him again, which opens a door, whether you've forgiven him or not. You have some serious soul searching to do. It's never an easy decision to kick someone important out of your life but sometimes, it's the only sane one. Are you really facing reality or burying your head in the sand?

This is none of my business and until Maria's last post I wasn't going to post again. It demonstrated that you're not alone. We all tend to have to learn from out own mistakes but with age comes a different wisdom. Please listen to all the words written and then to that little voice in your head. I wish you well,

Dale
Old 04-16-2007, 11:44 AM

Dale,
I have definitely thought about this whole situation with my brother since it's happened. The reason why I had to have contact with him is that my dad held a family meeting. It was supposed to be him just talking and us listening but because my brother is incapable of doing that he talked. And for the most part every time he did open his mouth I shut my ears. But he did apologize. And I take that with a grain of salt because he has freaked out like this before. Family is the most important thing to me and I can't cut him out of my life because of my parents. However, I won't have a relationship with him until he gets help. It's not only me who recognizes that he needs help. My parents, my friends, and his friends recognize it as well. So believe me when I say that I have not burried my head in the sand because that is the last thing that I would ever do. With everything in my life I never give up and when it's something so important as this I will never burry my head. Since we had the "family meeting" I havent talked to him. Really don't plan to for a while. I just want to get through this with the least amount of stress as possible. And I have the same thoughts as both you and Maria that if he already did this then it could happen again. Believe me I don't feel safe around him and that's the last feeling that I should have in my own home. And what I do recognize is that this whole thing is going to take a very long time because he is probably the most stubborn person that I know, and probably doesnt even recognize that he has an anger and self-control problem, which in itself is a scary thing.

Maria,
I guess we're going to have the surgery on the same date (although different hospitals). My surgery had to be bumped up from May 24th to the 10th because my dr has to go out of the country. I find out on Monday regarding whether I can take my finals early. If I can't then I have to take incomplete in my classes and take my finals next spring, which would really suck. I'm sorry to hear that you're in so much pain because of your feet. You think that you could get a break! And as Dale said you are a very couragous person, especially after hearing what happened to you (the whole throwing incident). I'm sorry that you had to go through that. I think that I've come to the same decision that you had made - completely remove yourself physically from that environment but still maintain some sort of contact. He's my brother and I can't cut him out. But I won't have a relationshp with him, and things will be very different. It's sad that it had to come to this, but life sucks and we deal with what's thrown at us. We go through it with our heads held high and know that this too shall pass.

No new real update with my back. This weekend for some reason it's been a real pain even with the new meds. I'll keep you guys updated especially during my recovery. I'm starting to get really nervous again but I'm throwing myself at my work to occupy my mind.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 AM

Default lied about the update part :P

I forgot there is an update... I have no cartildge left at my facet joint area but on the right side. this is kind of wierd because for a long time my left side hurt much worse than my right side. But from the films it shows that my right side is much worse. Hmmmm.. anyways, I just cant believe that in less than three years I could have the full amount to now none whatsoever! I hope that the people who make the discs address this issue because I would hate to see other people go through what I have had to deal with.. It's definitely been a real pain in the arse! Ok... that is all. good night everyone.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Blair, if you can't take your finals early, you should be able to call the doctor's scheduler and tell them that you can't have the surgery until after they are over. While we need to work with them, we also have to deal with real issues in our lives... your finals are as important as their scheduling issues.

While my opinion is not important in the situation with your brother, I'll add my 2 cents again. While your family partially recognizes the seriousness of his behavior, forcing you to either accept a fearful situation or to stay away from family gatherings represents your parents making an inappropriate choice. If they fully accepted the seriousness of his behaviour, they would not enable hiim by having him present at family gatherings unless he's actively involved in some treatment and has some expectation of success.

Mark
Old 04-17-2007, 03:51 PM

Default re your finals

Blair,
I'm not sure if this is possible but would you be able to either take your finals early or just reschedule your surgery for a bit later? I'm of the opinion to get the finals out of the way before the surgery and recovery just so you can recover somewhat at your leisure w/o deadlines other than starting school again if you've more to go..

Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-22-2007, 01:33 AM

Everything is figured out- I'm taking my finals the same week as my surgery. I was able to work with the administration. The reason why it had to be this way was because if I waited until the next opening which was in June then there might have been a possibility that I couldnt go back to school in the fall.

No new update. Don't really expect one until after my surgery. I'll let you guys know how that goes and how my recovery is. The surgery is going to take around 4-5 hours, and I'll be in the hospital for at least three days.
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Default inconsiderate people

Before I came to ispine I posted on ADRsupport.org. I left because people were basically calling me crazy about how the Charite disc caused all of my problems - saying that the charite disc doesnt cause facet joint syndrome .. crap like that. I recently posted something to see if anyone has had a revision surgery. I'm getting a little nervous and not that many people have gone through this surgery.
Anyways - this is what some jackass wrote in reesponse: (and Mark sorry for the language but I just can't believe this):

"I see your signature says your will have an anterior fusion with posterior hardware. Is the posterior stuff REALLY necessary? Isnt the fusion enough to immobilize the area? I would think you would want to maybe give the fusion a chance, and then see if the facet pain resolves, before messing up the backside. (That's what we hope to do anyway)

Also, please clarify (for new readers) your motivation (desperation) for such a hugely foolish step (Not nearly as foolish as trying to remove a Prodisc though)."

I love the fact that I now have to have a major surgery that's going to take 4-5 hours and I get called a "fool" because this is my only option. I remember why I stopped going on that site.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-28-2007, 10:52 PM

Default it was abusive

That was a very abusive post and nobody deserves it. What if you were recommended a 360 deg. fusion?

This fellow seems quite taken by himself.

You be well - ans
Old 04-28-2007, 11:55 PM

Balir,

I realize why you would get upset over that very unproductive post (I'm putting it nicely) and no one can blame you. You're still very young and perhaps you don't yet realize that there are fools and bafoons in every walk of life. If someone feels you're acting in haste, alternative suggestions instead of criticism are appreciated. No one wants to be thought of as foolish and at this stage, you don't need to second guess any of your decisions. Making you feel bad about yourself is someone's elses insecurity.

In your shoes, I would thank him for his productive and supportive post at this critical and stessful time in your life. Surely his compassion is most appreciated and you will take his 'suggestions' under advisement, at least before shredding it into as many small pieces as is possible so when you shove it down his throat, at least he won't choke. See how thoughtful you can be?

Dale
Old 04-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Blair,

the internet is such a mixed bag.... a combination of incredibly useful information that is not available elsewhere, and downright misinformation that makes our quest for useful information much, much harder, or even impossible. It's a combination of incredible support and sometimes an unbelievable lack of support or even worse... alternate agendas that may be wolves hidden in sheeps clothing.

My advice is always to take that good that you can and ignore the rest. Often posts that are offensive are truly misunderstandings and ignoring those will make our lives easier. Some offensive posts may be the result of a posters frustration with their own situations. Many of is are in so much pain and our lives are so severely impacted by our disability, meds, family issues, etc.... it's sometimes impossible to hold it all together.

Take the good... ignore the rest... contribute as best you can. Don't engage the bullshit.... IMHO, that is the best way to get the most out of the internet.

Mark
Old 04-30-2007, 05:27 AM

Blair,

I think anyone knowing the situation you're going through would have a lot of respect for the challenge you face. To add to Marks comments - I've found that emotions can get very confused with internet posts. Its quite possible the poster you qouted was genuinely trying to help but just came across the wrong way. I've had run-in's with people on the internet only to find that in meeting them in person they are actually genuine and likeable people.

(I'm not necessarily saying that is the case here - I don't know the history of the situation - just saying that sometimes people's intent can be misinterpreted).

I wish you all the best of luck with the revision surgery.

Rob

surfing injury 2004 - transient paralysis from neck down for 15 seconds, resolved fully - herniated c5/c6 disc plus some bulging at c3/4/5. Initially had dermatome pain after injury which resolved - general parasthesia in arms/legs was fairly mild after injury but has been worsening.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 AM
Administrator

I've been lucky enough to spend some time with Matt and Anastasia on a few occasions. They are wonderful people. I'd love for my wife and I to be on vacation with them... get a chance to meet them under different circumstances. Unfortunately, they are in an impossible sitiation and are struggling to make some sense of it. Let's all give Matt the benefit of the doubt...

My wish is that everyone can get some relief... then we can all be 'abnormal' again!

Mark
Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 AM

Default re reply

Blair,
We all know that person has Neurosurgeon or Orthopedic surgeon credentials behind his or her name...(not) ~

My reaction to this reply would be what yours is since I find it useless in terms of constructive critisism or by way of shedding new light on this topic so near and dear to your heart or more succinctly your spine. If I were to respond to the poster I'd definately have to wait until I had simmered down a bit so my reply would be much more neutral. I'm not sure the person posting that reply deserves any further of your thoughts/time ...

Last edited by Maria; 04-30-2007 at 08:19 AM. Reason: text addition
Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your comments. I appreciate them. I definitely had to calm down before I addressed that guy. I didnt want to say anything that I would regret later on. Everyone is right with what they have said - you definitely have to take the internet for what it's worth.

But being less than 13 days from my surgery that was very insensitive and rude. Since that has been the second time around where I have basically been called crazy on that site for explaining what I have been going through I'm going to stick to ispine. I have found that the people on this site are much more supportive, even when it comes to things that they havent had personal experience with - and with my case there are very few people who have had the same experience. So anyways, thank you all for being so supportive. I truly appreciate it.

Regarding Matt I did respond to him - I told him that what he said was insensitive and rude, that i didnt owe him an explanation for anything but that I havent taken this situation lightly and am taking the least invasive procedure recommended. I think that's all that he deserves. bastard.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Blair
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-30-2007, 11:58 AM

PS - does anyone know how the person is doing who had the revision surgery on the 20th? I believe she had the prodisc taken out.

I'm starting to get major anxiety. Just really realized this about a few minutes ago. I've been throwing myself at my work since I have my finals coming up the few days right before my surgery. I don't even have the words to explain what I'm feeling.
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 04-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Thumbs up

blair
i just wanted to chime in to wish you and your surgeon a non eventual surgery and a speedy recovery. and will be praying for you and sending you tons of positive thoughts.
and hang in there you are going to ace your finials.
May The Force Be With You!!!!!
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM

Default your surgery

Hey Blair,
I canceled my surgery today again because Dr.D's secretary didn't get the message when I left it thru the general office staff. She said that happens. I felt bad because I had given nearly a month's notice and should have called again to follow up but didn't because of other things going on.
Thankfully she said just reschedule when I'm ready and sometimes Dr.D is booked up 8 weeks in advance so I should get a date going soon. Still trying to figure out when I'll do the other foot surgery since still recovering from the last one (only able to wear sandals still but walking more). My low back has been screaming at me lately since I haven't been walking much.

I just wanted to add that I think your anxiety is really normal normal normal. At least you aren't like me and you will stick to your surgery schedule. Good girl!!!!!

Also sorry that you were bothered by what someone said to you regarding your surgery~ having met you, I can vouch for the fact you are far from crazy and just following a rational plan to try and fix your spine so you can move on. We all have to make decisions on what to do with OUR bodies and I believe this particular person is really hurting from the outcome of his wife's surgery~ he probably didn't mean to make you feel badly but rather to implore you to think more about the surgery which of course as we all know we each think so much about our spines and surgeries that are recommended it's practically as tho we are possessed and definately obcessing (at least I do)...

Wishing you some peace, I know it's hard to come by right now tho I hope it comes your way~

Last edited by Maria; 04-30-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:30 PM

Blair,

Having been around the block already, you know that the anxiety you're feeling is quite normal. Of course you feel ready to jump out of your own skin. We all did, just as you did once before. Add to that your finals, your doubt, family problems and anything else going on in your life and you're plate is beyond full. That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger and that you're still posting proves you're still alive, therefore, you're getting stronger by the day.

You have a lot on your mind which is actually better than having to dwell on your upcoming surgery alone. Having 'dwelled' on way too much my whole life, I've now decided that if it isn't important tomorrow, it's not important today. The more I remember that, the happier I am.

So stay clear of your brother, dismiss the negative posts, concentrate on your finals and look forward to May 11th. It'll all be over by then! Above all... don't forget to breathe

Hang in there, I have a feeling you'll do great, Dale
Old 05-02-2007, 11:55 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the comments. I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow with my internist and then my pre-op appointment with Wagner next week. Can't believe the surgery is coming up so soon!

Do you guys have any pointers on what to bring with me to the hospital besides the regular necessities? - toothbrush, toothpaste, brush, face wash, etc...? Any helpful pointers will be very much appreciated! Thanks.
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 05-02-2007, 10:46 PM

Blair,

One thing that is never discussed is how much your throat hurts (or is dry) after surgery because of the tube placed down your throat. If allowed, I would bring something to suck on for the first couple of days, be it life savers or whatever, anything to keep your throat moist. I found that ice cubes don't last long enough. The key word is, if it's allowed on your restricted diet. Ask now, not after the fact.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 AM

shoot me now! lol.. jp... one final down, one more to go tomorrow. but my back is soooooooo not happy with me right now that i'm starting to worry whether I'll be able to get through a 6 hour final. Anyways, I know that whatever happens I will have done my best under the circumstances and will be proud of myself regardless of my grade. Anyways, I need to try and go to sleep so I can wake up in the morning and cram. It's fun trying to memorize a semester's worth of contracts in one day. Hope you guys are doing well.
Spondylolisthesis
1/04 fall in Vegas
1/04-5/04 epiderals
6/24/04 Charite L5/S1
Old 05-10-2007, 08:13 AM

Default finals

Good luck Blair~ with the sitting I mean since I'm sure you'll do well w/the final!

Long ago when I completed the Comp exams for my MSN, I had to spend something like 6 hours answering 8 questions total on 2 years worth of a master's program. I brought my trusty beanbag chair to the room and ended up lying on floor prone to complete the thing~

Somewhere between anxiety, desperation and exhaustion I made it through w/o feeling too much pain till the end~ then my back was crumbling as I was walking to the parking lot~

Hey I passed big time and that's what counted!! Good luck to you and hope your pain levels will be low!!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Your surgery!

Will be thinking about you and wishing you the best!!! Thank God for anesthesia knocking us out if you get anywhere near as nervous as me going in!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 02:55 PM

Blair,

It's been a long road and you've handled it with strength you probably didn't know you had. I've no doubt you'll come out on top, on two counts. Good luck with your finals and your surgery. I'll be thinking about you today.

Dale
Old 05-10-2007, 06:34 PM

Thumbs up

blair
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!!!
you will win this!!!
chuck
facet block neg
3 surgeons later
Old 05-11-2007, 11:08 AM

Best of luck and success to you.

ans