Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss L4/5 L5/S1 Mavericks in the Main forums forums; Bob, Good to hear you are on the other side. And home now? Do take it easy and try not ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Talking You have not lost your sense of humor along with your discs...

Bob,

Good to hear you are on the other side.
And home now?
Do take it easy and try not to climb Mt. Rushmore in one day.
keep us posted.

Kim
Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Although I've been back since Thursday night, I'm finally getting my clock close to normal.

Surgery went well. The morphine epidural was taken off one or two days after surgery. The left the epidural line in place in case I needed it. I was on minor pain meds (Targin 10/5 X2 daily) for the duration of my stay. I walked about a mile a day 3 days out until I went to the hotel, then bumped it up to 2 miles a day (slow, easy strolls). I had mild pain but a huge decrease from the pre-op pain. I walked to a nearby train station each day for lunch and dinner (one trip, the mini-bar had enough room to keep dinner cold until it was time to eat).

I had a huge setback on the journey home. The flight was overbooked so business class wasn't an option. There were 2 high school field trip groups, several children (2 infants that wouldn't sleep) and a seatmate that coughed the entire 10 hour flight home. I wasn't able to get up and move around much since there was an over-abundance of clumsy people on board.

Lufthansa forgot the wheelchair assistance at Bremen and Frankfurt so I had to take stairways to the bus and back to the terminal as well as walking to the various gates. I found a push cart at Frankfurt for the baggage so I was able to walk around some during the layover.

Once I got to Atlanta, a TSA employee told me to "tough it out" and refused to let me use a cart to roll my bags. So I got to move them through customs on my own. There was a lady that had her son help with them through one of the lines, that was a help. While trying to wait for an opportune time to pull one of my bags (the one with wheels) off of the carousel, a woman rushed over to see if it was hers and nearly knocked me to the ground. By the time I got to the curb where my ride was supposed to be, I was already getting high grade back spasms. I've pretty much been trying to get ahead of the pain and getting my clock back on schedule ever since.

The post surgical Xrays show good placement of both discs. L4/5 is a little further forward than ideal, but the top surface of L5 angles up at the rear. The surgeon was afraid to try to get it in further as he was concerned that part of the bone would fracture (causing additional problems). He was able to position the disc so it still has a posterior placement to reduce the stresses on the facet joints.

The best news is that aside from the travel, the trip was a success. I'm going to the walk in clinic later this week to get an Xray done to make sure the return trip didn't cause any problems other than muscular pulls/ strain.

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Default Twister

Hey Bob

Glad to hear you are doing better,Just got back from Florida the flight home killed my lower spine should be better in a couple of days,
I cant imagine being in a plane for 10 hours
Are you playing twister yet

Take Care

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1
Old 04-12-2009, 03:33 PM

Bob, I'm glad your back home and adjusting to the time change. Sorry about the TSA moron in Atlanta--that's absolutely ridiculous. The plane ride sounds like it was a great time. Talk about an absolute obstacle course on your way home.

I do hope your distraction pain is minimal and that you're healing well. Keep us posted and try and post a film when you get the chance.

Be well,
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Thanks all.

I just wonder if over international waters, is it legal to whack a teenager with a cane? Food for thought for you Justin in case you run into a similar situation in May .

Gil, the twister game was called off. Some lame excuse about side bets........

Bob
04/07 Recurrent Disc Surgery L5/S1
3 Ortho and 1 Neuro Surgeon, 3 MRIs, 1 EGM, 1 Myleogram & 11 EDIs later:
03/27/09 Maverick ADR at L4/L5 & L5/S1
03/27/09 The Lord and Dr. Ritter-Lang returned my life to me.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 PM

Bob,

Under the best of circumstances, the trip home is an ordeal. It may take a few days but hopefully, no damage was done, just some overworked muscles.

Take is slow and easy!!!!!

All my best, Dale
Old 04-12-2009, 07:09 PM

Bob,
What a nightmare. I think I would have lay down in the terminal and cried until they carried me away. I can't believe you did this all by yourself. You are one really brave guy. Take care, Don't overdo.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09