Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Flying or Driving to travel for surgery? in the Main forums forums; I put this in the Surgery and Recovery thread by mistake, so have copied it over to here. We live ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 02:00 PM

Default Flying or Driving to travel for surgery?

I put this in the Surgery and Recovery thread by mistake, so have copied it over to here.

We live about eight hours from NYC, where I am probably going to be going for five level surgery, a mixture of ADR and fusion at both cervical and lumbar levels.

We drove down for the consult with Dr. Bitan, and while it was a bit tiring, I didn't really mind it too much. We bought a car a couple of years ago, specifically for the seats that allow me to travel without tears

The surgeries are supposed to be several days apart, between the lumbar and cervical levels, and we will probably be down there for a couple of weeks. As much as we hate being without our own vehicle, it doesn't seem to make sense to take ours there and worry about parking, etc.

But how far is Lennox Hill Hospital from the main airport, traffic time wise? I can't imagine that a taxi will be very comfortable going between the two spots. Also, we are about an hour from our own airport, so when you add all those times together, getting to and from the flights, it almost adds up to half the time it would take to drive, no?

Can someone who knows NYC give us some advice as to the best way to travel? Does the train go to the airport? I know one of the stations is just across the street from the hospital.

It seemed so much easier when we were going to Germany and everything was arranged for us...pick up at the airport, etc.!

Thanks for the feedback.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Hey Katie,

I think it might be better to fly, especially after both lumbar and cervical surgeries.

Laguardia Airport is about 20 minutes from Lennox Hill Hospital in "normal" traffic.

Newark Airport is about 40 minutes from Lennox Hill Hospital in "normal" traffic.

Personally, I would have a car service to get to/from the airport. There are many car services to choose from in NYC. Here is an example of a car service that offers a sedan to Laguardia from Manhattan for $40 or an SUV for $80. The car service vehicles are very nice and most are limo quality. Just an idea for a comfortable ride to/from the airport.

Good luck with your arrangements...if you need help with NYC related info, I'm there often so I might be of help.
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:24 PM

This service is much more reasonable in price and I've seen them all over NYC: Dial 7 Car Service.
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.

Last edited by Justin; 04-24-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:49 PM

Justin, Thanks so very much for this. It is exactly what I was hoping for...some advice from someone who has been there, done that

Is Laguardia the main airport, the one most of the flights would go into? I'm trying to take some of the stress of my husband by finding out some information ahead of time. He's got enough to worry about just living with me

I'll check out all of the links you gave me. I heard that if we have a private room, my husband may be able to stay with me? Otherwise, we are going to have to find something reasonable for accommodation for him for a couple of weeks. Since parking at the hospital was over $50 for just a few hours, I don't want to think what 'people parking' would cost!

Any help in that department would be wonderful too.
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 PM

Justin, would traveling by car, even if we broke it up over two days coming home after surgery, be a really bad idea? Would it be any worse than flying 12 hours from Germany, etc? Is it more the risk of driving & possible accidents that you are thinking is a bad idea?

I am very impressed with the prices of the Dial 7 service, and will most likely go that route, especially at just $32 for a luxury sedan from the airport to the hospital.

My husband may be able to stay at a work related facility there for the whole time though, and might want the car for other things, so that is my only thought about taking our own.

I wish I didn't over think so many details
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 PM

Hey Katie,

IMHO, flying can be difficult, maybe more so than driving. Driving you can lay the seat down taking all or most of the stress off your neck and back or even lay down in the back seat with pillows wherever you need them (seat belts please). Flying includes getting to the airport, waiting to go through security, waiting for your flight, waiting for clearance after boarding, waiting for your baggage, and driving to the hospital, and then the reverse. I know the flight is so much shorter and the trip is broken up into small segments but overall, I think driving might be more comfortable - if you're looking for an excuse to drive

Dale
Old 04-24-2009, 08:44 PM

I'm with Dale. Even in first class the flight for me was really painful. I would much rather have been in a car that is somewhat suited to you.

I would rather have the control of my own car to stop and go as necessary.

Cheryl
2 level Prodisc ADR L4-S1, Feb. 18, 2008 Dr. Bertagnoli - Straubing, Germany - SUCCESS -

Now I struggle with Neck Pain likely c5-7
PT, injections, rhizotomy.......MRI and CT Myleo not consistent with pain symptoms, waiting that out, keeping my passport valid
Old 04-24-2009, 09:36 PM

So my only issue with taking the car is finding a place to put it. The parking anywhere near the hospital will cost us over $70/day x a couple of weeks. And we need to get the insurance updated to cover a private room so my husband can stay with me or else pay up to $200/night for a room. Of course that would solve the parking problem...leave it there at the hotel and take the train in

Either way, I'm hoping to not have to pay a couple of thousand dollars for accommodation for my husband while we are down there, plus the travel.

I need to get reimbursed for the consult as well, as that was about $400 cdn, but was very necessary at the time. I hope I can slip it in with the total cost to the insurance and get the hospital to give it back. Or some such evil scheme.....

All of these are good opinions...maybe a poll is in order!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
So my only issue with taking the car is finding a place to put it. The parking anywhere near the hospital will cost us over $70/day x a couple of weeks. And we need to get the insurance updated to cover a private room so my husband can stay with me or else pay up to $200/night for a room. Of course that would solve the parking problem...leave it there at the hotel and take the train in

Either way, I'm hoping to not have to pay a couple of thousand dollars for accommodation for my husband while we are down there, plus the travel.

I need to get reimbursed for the consult as well, as that was about $400 cdn, but was very necessary at the time. I hope I can slip it in with the total cost to the insurance and get the hospital to give it back. Or some such evil scheme.....

All of these are good opinions...maybe a poll is in order!
Hey Katie,

I think flying would be easier IMHO. You'll get a wheelchair through the airport and you will be able to board before everyone else. I know the seats can be an issue, but airfare is super cheap right now. Plus, (the BIG plus for me) the cost of storing a car in NYC is absolutely insane--it would add up extremely fast.

It would be nice to have a car to stop and go as you please. However, traffic can be horrific on I-95 (if you are using it) and traffic can also be very aggressive. The thing I would worry about would be having to slam on your brakes, which would be brutal on your neck.

About accommodations for your husband--cheap hotels are just outside Manhattan (which can easily be $200-300 a night). He could stay at a place that is close to mass transit (subway), as it is extremely easy and cheap to get around NYC that way. This could save tons of money, albeit it would require more travel time during the day for your husband.

Good luck!
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.

Last edited by Justin; 04-24-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:32 PM

Thankfully Dear Heart is extremely good at navigating....we got to Lenox Hill Hospital on the first try without a map of the city...and traveled down on one of the 80 highways, 81 or 85 I think, without a problem. We actually found the traffic more civilized than up here. He has traveled all over the world with his work, and thinks everything is an adventure . I'm brave, just not that experienced .

I was hoping to relieve some of the planning from his shoulders, as his work load at the office is enormous right now, and he has missed so much already, what with going down to Dr. Bitan and then to help his dad in another province last week. He'll go with whatever is easier and makes sense.

I know that the train/subway system is wonderful down there, having taken it in to NYC from CT while visiting my daughter a couple of years ago.

Unless we can solve the parking problem, I can't see taking the car, as much as I love it. I'm off to check out air fares...that may be the deciding factor.

Which is the best airline to go with? I'm not impressed with what one of the other posters here had to deal with, coming back from Germany.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 PM

Harumph! $1800 for the cheapest return flight from our city to NYC! That's almost the same price as flying to Germany! It only cost us $200 in gas for the same trip two weeks ago.

Off to check on some American airlines.....
Old 04-25-2009, 02:18 AM

Wow, that's insane! I got my ticket to Germany for $400 ROUNDTRIP.

You might want to try farecast.com for airfare. I'm headed out the door...
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:31 AM

Well, Justin you got one heck of a deal!! Are you in NY? From West Coast more likely 8 to 900 for a regular somewhat discounted ticket on a non stop flight. Frankfurt is a lot cheaper then Munich.

Katie, how long do you stay at the hospital or in the area after the surgery. If you stay there 2 weeks then I would drive. Take pillows and take breaks.

I made a 7 hour drive in a Mercedes E Class at 1 week out (my wife drove and she tried real hard!) and it was torture! I constantly had to beg my wife to not go so fast no more then 55 and steer gently as it hurt and those german autobahns are sooo temting. Mercedes cars are somewhat stiff if you have a larger american car and on the american roads at the slower speeds you will not have the problem. If you have small stiff car or a pickup then consider flying. Depending on your condition stop regularly and take a exercise walk as you can handle it. Slow and careful and just enough to loosen things up. I did't want to fly and I did not regret it even though the drive was painful. I love airplanes but not the cattlecar kind and all the nuisance that goes with them these days. 8 hours is long but you are in your own space. If you can break it up into 2 days even better. Don't drive fast stay in one lane dont pass more then nessesary and make an gently ride (note to the friendly driver!).

Thats a big surgery. My respect to you. I hope you will do really well.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:09 AM

Justin, are you kidding me? Wow, you really did get a deal! I have checked both Air Canada and United, and the second one was only three hundred cheaper...just over $1400. And I checked lots of dates, etc. and going as cheap as I can. I'll try the other one you suggested tomorrow. We are only an hour and a half flight away

fuzzy, you are so cute I will probably be in hospital two weeks total, as the surgeries will be three to four days apart, then recovery time afterwards. We haven't ironed out the small details yet. I hope I do really well too, thanks

We got a used Chrysler Pacifica three years ago and love it..it is so comfortable, even with 250,000 kms on it already. I think it has Mercedes parts in it, but they must be the softer parts

We can easily break the trip into two or even three days, although it will be nice to be back in our own bed as soon as possible. As this gets closer, I'm getting more scared, as everyone does, I guess. Time to check with the good doctor and get some more details cleared up.

And I never ever go anywhere without my nice soft pillow My youngest daughter travels all over the world in her job and has the same habit...she visited us last summer and had her beat up pillow under her arm
Old 04-25-2009, 03:14 AM

Default a few thoughts

Since the airfare might be costly what about renting a van or even an RV and either fixing the back of the van up with a mattress and/or having the RV there with a bed in it.

Just throwing suggestions out there that you may have already tossed around
Old 04-25-2009, 05:17 AM

Fuzzy made some really great suggestions about driving.

Katie, if you can break up your trip over a few days that sounds like a great idea. The airfare sounds really expensive.

I'll look into some car storage places for you (my twin brother that lives in NYC is in town for the weekend and might have some good leads).

PS: you might want to look into a monthly pass at a local garage, as it is much cheaper (~$300). Central Parking Monthly Rates
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.

Last edited by Justin; 04-25-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:00 PM

Maria, that is a very smart idea. And what makes it even better is that we could put a mattress in the back of our vehicle Everything folds flat and it would hold a double size air mattress or foamy.

Dr. J, that is brilliant too! A monthly would be so much more affordable at those prices, and if by chance I had to stay longer, then we would not be stressing about it in that department. Thanks to both of you.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:03 PM

Justin, the other thing about flying, when I went to that supersaver website, was that almost all of the flights were five to seven hours because of layovers...that's almost the full time required for driving! Sheesh
Old 04-25-2009, 03:18 PM

Yeah, I have to go with Justin on this one. Fly. I do think, honestly, it's a matter of personal preference, but I would fly and not sweat having to deal with the car issue.
bicycle accident 6/01: 2 compression fractures @ T12-L1; vertibroplasty; 4/06: right hip labral tear & arthroscopic repair; 4/07: lumbar prodiscs @ 3 levels, L3-6 by Dr. Bertagnoli; 7/02/08: ALIF L6-S1; 7/30/08: reopened to remove bone cement, leaked onto S1 nerve root; 8/08: pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion; ALIF fusion complete; 3/10/09: SI Joint Fusion by Dr. Stark; Jury still out.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:31 PM

Default re flying

Katie,
I think I've mentioned this before however will again. When I have to fly to Florida to see my father I go on a Red Eye Non Stop and get 3 seats together (one row) and it's usually about $1000-1200 if I make advance reservations.

I wish I could sit like anyone else and I'm always amazed at people here who are in horrible shape and manage to fly sitting up because there's no way I can do this even tho the flight is only 5 hours. I know we all have our differing pains and probs re the spine but my tail end is in h*ll if I try to sit thru a movie even so don't even do that!

I tried a non stop flight so that I could get up and walk around between flights and found that to be *horrendous* for me. I had to hassle more with getting to and fro and just up and down and waiting for other flight and such it was absolutely frigging exhausting to me spinally and otherwise.. tho then again ~ that's me.

So if someone driving you with a mattress in the back of your vehicle is doable then go with that if you feel it's going to be an OK thing. Test drive this situation ahead of time if you're able like maybe this weekend to see how it goes and/or any adaptations you might need to make with this should you choose to go this route.

Good luck with all ~

Last edited by Maria; 04-25-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks Maria. We actually did this trip just over two weeks ago, down to see Dr. Bitan for a consult. We took it easy and had no problems other than being exhausted by the time we got home. We left on Sunday and came home on Tuesday, after the Monday appointment.

It is the coming home part that scares me. I will be having five levels done, with both fusions (3) and ADR (2). I don't know yet if he will be going in from both the front and back, but his assistant was pretty astounded that the surgeries were only going to be days apart instead of weeks or months.

The passenger seat isn't as comfortable as the drivers', and I'm a bit concerned about laying down without a seatbelt, safety wise, and it's probably not even legal. What are the laws in New York for that? Definitely illegal as soon as we cross the border.

I can use an Obus form for the passenger seat though...it works well enough, and we can stop as often as we like, and take two days coming back if need be, as I said.

I can't believe the cost of an hour & a half flight, and certainly can't afford to book three or four seats, with my husband coming with me. If it was just the flight time, I would probably be OK, but with all the delays, I think I'm going to try driving...with everything open to change, of course

I truly appreciate all the input from all of you. Thanks for caring so much.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:50 PM

Katie,

I noticed that you are in Ontario. I am not sure what part (I can't remember).

Have you thought of looking at what the price of the flight would be from the Buffalo Airport? I don't really know if that would work for you or not, but I thought I would just throw that idea out to you..

Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope it all works out well for you!!

Mary
Old 04-26-2009, 12:29 AM

I can't believe the prices for Air Canada! I know we paid over $1100 Calgary to Vancouver a couple of weeks ago. Are there no seat sales? With your husband travelling, do you have any aeroplan miles you can use to fly?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:48 AM

It's not just Air Canada...United was almost the same, as were most others I've checked. It is also the amount of time it takes to fly that relatively short distance that is convincing me to drive....hours waiting in airports will not be fun. The direct flights are the more expensive ones of course.

We do have air miles, but have been using them up for family emergencies as well...life doesn't always go as you plan, does it!

It will all work out in the end...still need to get a surgery date yet, so jumping the gun just a bit But I'm hoping for late May or early June...fingers crossed.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nairek

Katie,

When I left Lenox Hill after my 6 day stay, I hired a car service & paid $225 for the 2 hour drive home. There was absolutely no way I would have been able to handle the 15 minute subway ride & then the almost 2 hour train ride home. The subways in NY are usually jam packed. Especially on the Lexington Ave. Local. I've been on the subway, with my cane, & never once did anyone ever give up their seat for me. Sad society we live in.

I was told that it was not advisable for me to be sitting upright for the ride home. I was told to sit in the front seat & lay the seat back. Of course I didn't listen Since I'm short, I was able to more or less stretch my legs out while sitting semi-upright in the back seat. I had my husband bring down some pillows to prop up against my upper & lower back to keep my spine straight. We had a town car so it was comfy & the driver knew I just had spinal surgery & he did everything he could to make the ride as comfortable as possible.

You should also know that with lumbar fusion, sitting tends to be more uncomfortable than with ADR. If you are "blessed" like I was & have incisions in both your belly & back, it's going to be tough to get comfortable.

As for seat belt laws in NY, if you are sitting in the front seat, you have to wear a seat belt. As far as I know, if you are sitting in the back, it is not required. Just make sure you don't play Super Woman if your husband hits the brakes!

There is an "AirTrain" from JFK airport to the local subway. You just have to figure out which line to get on to take you out to Lenox Hill. I'm not very city savvy so I won't even venture to guess on that one.

My sister has flown to Toronto a few times for work. I can see if she may be able to suggest any low cost carriers for you.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Anterior/Posterior Fusion L5/S1 -1/20/09
Old 04-27-2009, 01:07 AM

Why did you have incisions both front and back?

I've talked to a couple of others who have had similar surgeries and had no problem with driving home by dividing up the trip over two days, so this looks like the way to go.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Why did you have incisions both front and back?

I've talked to a couple of others who have had similar surgeries and had no problem with driving home by dividing up the trip over two days, so this looks like the way to go.
They went in thru the front to put the cage into the disc space. They went in thru the back to put screws in to make sure the cage stayed in place. I didn't find out until the morning of my surgery that they were going to go thru the back as well.

Driving back home looks to be more economical than flying. Breaking it up over a few days sounds like the best way to go. You should be given a prescription for pain meds the day that you leave the hospital. If you can, try & get it filled before you leave so you have something for the ride home.
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 AM

Oh, I plan to take lots of good stuff with me when I leave home I can't take most meds, so have a very select list anyway. I'm not going to take a chance on trying something new that might make me sick...a fate worse than death, I would think!

That sounds like a giant OUCH! Why did they not let you know what was coming in regards to two incisions? I feel a little more involved with your surgery as we are going to have the same doctor
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 AM

Default Flying or driving...etc

Katie, I don't know if this will help but I posted travel tips I picked up from my own trips. I think I put it in "travelling to Germany" folder". Best, D. Tried to pm you also.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 AM

Thanks dridobits! I'll check that out, and I got a notice that you had tried to reach me. Sorry about that...I sent you a PM also letting you know I cleared out my box a bit.

That's probably as annoying as my phone mailbox being full...I get heck about that all the time too
Old 04-28-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Oh, I plan to take lots of good stuff with me when I leave home I can't take most meds, so have a very select list anyway. I'm not going to take a chance on trying something new that might make me sick...a fate worse than death, I would think!

That sounds like a giant OUCH! Why did they not let you know what was coming in regards to two incisions? I feel a little more involved with your surgery as we are going to have the same doctor
I found out the Monday before surgery that MVP denied me for ADR. The medical manager & Dr. Bitan were suppose to speak by phone the next day so Dr. Bitan could argue why I should have the ADR. The medical manager never called Dr. Bitan the next day. He blew off the appointment. On Wednesday, the both of them had a discussion & the medical manager still denied coverage for ADR.

I believe it was Wednesday or Thursday afternoon when Tom called me & put Dr. Bitan on the phone & Dr. Bitan gave me the bad news about not being able to have the ADR but said I could still have the fusion. At that time, I wasn't ready to give him an answer on the fusion. I called Tom on Friday afternoon & told him that I would go forward with the fusion. Unfortunately, there wasn't much time before the surgery to discuss how it was going to play out. (Surgery was scheduled for 4 days later). I guess that's really my fault since I should have told my boss to kiss my butt & tried to get the info during my lunch break. The woman is pure evil & always has a tendency to be around when I make these calls from my cell phone. She was actually standing behind me when Dr. Bitan gave me the news about the denial for ADR. (I actually have 3 incisions from the fusion )