Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Update on Me in the Main forums forums; Hi all, I have not been on here in a while, i think depression was the cause . I am better ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Default Update on Me

Hi all,
I have not been on here in a while, i think depression was the cause . I am better now. I don't even know if i posted after my Sept 2013 surgery. I had an anterior attempt to fuse my lumbar from L2 -L5. It didn't go too well with more spinal fractures , then i had one in every level some caused by me, unknowingly and some by the surgery . My doc did not let me out of bed at all in the hospital and then kept me in bed for 6 weeks post op. He only recently let me do the normal daily activities. I am hoping i can attend physical therapy after my next visit on March 4th. I need to get something stronger.
since the surgery i have had 2 sets of spinal injections which have now relieved a ton of my pain. I also had kyphoplasty in Dec to repair my 4 lumbar fractures so now bumps on the road are not as dreaded for pain. Most all of my pain is gone as of today as i just had the spinal injections last thursday and again they are doing a great job.

I did develop drop foot moments before my sept surgery and had an EMG pointing to my L4 and L5 nerves which are both severly inflammed. The problem is my MRi is not showing any compression and my foot has not improved at all. I miss wearing my flip flops terribly!

I am still walking very hunched over. I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis after having osteopenia for years. Not good for my hunched overness.
I also just went for a follow up with a pulmonologist and found out my lung capacity went from 70% to only 43%. He blames my back and my inability to stand up right. This concerns me terribly. It is not necessarily painful to walk that way, just very tiring and embarrassing. I hear people talking about me behind my back now it is that bad. I was hoping my bone density had gotten better and i could talk to my surgeon about trying to straighten me out.

I have gone on a short hike 3 times in the last month. I am such a fall risk, i don't want to go alone and don't know anyone except my busy son to go with me. I have one friend who went 2 weeks ago , but i don't think she can handle the slow pace. But i must start exercising. Hiking is the best as i can use my 2 hiking poles to hold me somewhat up right. One cane is not as good walking on a paved path. I did have a mishap and fall flat on my back into a stream on my second attempt which made us turn around. I could not get myself up at all and needed the help of my son and a nice man who saw me fall.

That is kind of my update. i may have more to say when i see my doc next week. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. I guess i should put in some statistics as i have not updated my signature.I have now had 11 spinal surgeries and am fused or trying to fuse from C4 thru L5. Not much left.

Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM

Default re update

Hi Judy,
Good to read your update even though some of it isn't too good and some is pretty darn good (the pain free part). The osteopenia to osteoporosis part.. I went there a while back now. I've been getting Prolia injections for that 2x/year. My BMD improved a tiny bit more or rather it appears it improved in my back but worsened in my hip!

I would imagine your lung capacity is affected by your posture. I hope getting out and walking does help you. I would love to offer to walk with you however since I'm not close I cannot and it seems for now my feet prevent me from doing anything more than just a quick bit of shopping and even then if I can use one of those electric carts I will because I've had such bad problems with my posterior tibial tendonitis flaring up.

In fact I've been on a Medrol Dose pack and today is the last day. Supposed to be off my feet for 4 weeks as much as possible. This is week 2 and I'm nearly stir crazy with the lack of activity but then again when my feet are painful oh boy are they bad!

I've been going to PT for my feet in Seal Beach and it does seem to be helping. I still am looking for some alternative methods to be out and about and still off my feet such a mobility scooter, electric bike, etc.

Hmmm.. this aging stuff is getting kind of rough huh?!

Has your doctor prescribed anything for the osteoporosis? I am taking VitD 5000 IU/day faithfully as that's really low for me too and I wasn't really being compliant with that while getting the first 2 doses of Prolia. I think I have one more (if the prescribed treatment is for 2 years). I'm really glad to read you've gotten so much relief pain wise. I know it must be difficult to hear people talk about you behind your back while you're walking but just in case they are wondering how your back got that way or what's wrong with it maybe you'll feel like indulging some inquisitiveness with a reply and that may help educate people and shut them up (the latter in case anyone was being an arse about it)! Would probably surprise a person if you turned around and started talking! My Dad used to get that with how bent his spine was in that S type of fashion although his hearing was impaired so he didn't hear people but he knew they were talking about him. He used to tell them he had very bad osteoporosis (tho he had bad kyphosis and extreme DDD as well). I think some people were surprised that could even affect a male (general population not people with medical background).

Ok meanwhile I hope other things are Ok for you. Again, good to hear from you! Maria

Last edited by Maria; 02-25-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Judy, what a tough road you are on. It's so long that you probably can't add last year's surgeries to your signature file.

What do the doctors say about the drop foot? Where is it coming from?

I wish I had something more to say than 'hang in there'. If you are up to getting together let me know... I can come out your way so you don't have a long drive. (Maria... join us?)

I certainly understand the depression... you haven't seem much of me around either. I'm still struggling... just got a thoracic epidural a couple of weeks ago. I got substantial relief, but it only lasted 3 days.

Take care... all the best

Mark

PS... call any time if you want to catch up or commiserate.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 AM

Mark the drop foot happened just suddenly although i am sure i had painful feelings in my foot and ankle before, just ignored them as they were not as bac as my back. I had an EMG which showed L4 and L5 are severely inflammed. so off to an MRI to show why they are inflammed and it shows no compression of the nerves. so nothing my spine surgeon can do but keep treating me with epidural injections and nerve blocks. so far they have reduced my pain , but done nothing for my foot.

I have no problem driving so i would love to get together, how about you Maria?

judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-03-2014, 09:28 PM

Default getting together

Yes! Let's do it! I have foot PT on Tues and Thurs at 10a.m. and take the cat for fluids MWF at 11a.m. so basically on MWF I'm free after noon and T n Th after 11ish.

My vehicle just started with some weird noise .. something to do with the brakes and air in the system (at the very least). Took it to a really good little Mom and Pop shop in Seal Beach (love this hood) and the guy checked it out and said his computer wouldn't talk to my computer so I may need to take it to the dealer (UGH)! Also have some issues with the idling of the vehicle so may have my car in the shop really soon BUT I'm still up for hanging out w/both of you if at all possible!

Judy are you wearing a brace on that foot? The guy whose patented brace I'm wearing (Douglas Richie podiatrist) on both feet has braces out for varying condition and I noted that drop foot was one.

Re the cute little sandals and stuff I gave that up long ago. Ugly sandals would be cool for me but alas I'm stuck in oversized tennis shoes to wear the orthotic/brace combo on both feet. Whatever works/helps is ok with me.

Mark sounds like we're all having some chronically f'd up issues. Sorry for the unlady like description of the issues however it is what it is and this posterior tibial tendonitis chronic stuff really sucks. Still I am trying to be upbeat about it

Yah.. let's hang out.. we needs us some cadiallac margaritas!
Old 03-04-2014, 03:22 AM

OK i am in to hang out . i have the clinic i work at on Tuesday . i leave my house around 4:30 and like to be home an hour before so i can change and try to eat something.
Then seeing i get home in the wee hours of the morning i don't do WEdnesday mornings very well or at all.
Other that that i am a free person usually. I do have an apt in LA on this thursday morning, but friday is good for me , then the week of the 9th i am free all week except the tuesday night/wed am thing.

I did read your post and look up the braces. Look more comfy than mine. I am wearing one , I have to or i will be tripping over everything and nothing.
I like to get dressed up a bit on Tuesday evenings and it is just that sneakers look silly with a dress or skirt.
Lets do this, when are you available Mark?

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-04-2014, 04:15 PM

Default dressed up

What's that? I haven't worn anything dressy in so long it's ridiculous! The best thing I can wear that's dressy are my black Royal Robbins Cardiff Stretch travelers pants and a nice top then the shoes are a pretty silver Brooks Addiction 10 running shoe! LOL!

I cannot walk without the braces at this point (that have the orthotics attached) and since the $1700 bill was mostly paid by Cigna then I can't afford regular orthotics yet this year (the braces were made in Dec.2013) so I have a big deductible to pay this year so hope to have enough appts n stuff to wear that deductible down to the ground. I don't go to the doctor that much really though as I just don't like to.

And yes the braces are pretty comfortable. I have to take it off to drive though as I cannot feel my foot in my big shoe!

I'm still figuring out where to take my car and how to deal with it because I can't afford to be car less for even a day right now with bad feet, kitty cat appts. 3x/week and PT on the other days. I so wish I had a 2nd car right now!

This week is probably a wash for me ... maybe next week or the week after?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:48 PM

I was just looking at the weather and next Wed 12, sounds like a nice day at this point. Of course it would depend on Mark's schedule too. Actually Thursday or Friday next week are ok too. Just as long as my daughter does not need a ride to work in the middle of the day where my son can't take her.
I can't afford anything big right now so if those braces are that much i am stuck with my AFO's! Nice big plastic things.
I have to leaave at 2:30 today for an apt with my spinal surgeon and then i will just hang around Pasadena for a little while and then just head to LA for tonight's clinic. Actually it is pay day, although i only made it in 3 days last month do to my daughter being really sick last week. So a big $150.00. I like to think of that as my spending money , but it usually goes into the checking account to help pay for bills. Usually i visit the pharmacy next door to the bank and the whole thing is gone!
I will try to call Mark if not today, then tomorrow for sure and we can firm up a date so this will happen. I am excited, i never get out!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Default re getting out

Got my car fixed.. was the brake booster (accumulator) that was bad.. fortunately not the hydraulic system so it was only $342 vs. $3000! Yay! Normally I'd not be happy about putting out that much $ but since I was thinking it might be the bigger amount I was thankful~

So far I don't have anything for afternoons this week except going to try and get someone in here to clean as I'm going to have company the following week. Will be making calls on Monday a.m. to see who/when I get in this week. I'd probably want to stick around for that since it would be the first time having someone clean here.

Ok keep me posted on if you and Mark pick a date and I'll try to work around that or if Mark can't make it and you still want to drive this way Judy we can hang out. I can't walk on the beach though with my orthotic/braces but I can hang out where there is grass...
Old 03-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Wednesday 12th looks best for me. I've blocked it on my calendar... If it's tough for Maria to get around... I can make the caddies and lunch and we can hang out in my backyard with Taffy and our 2 new kitties. Or we could go down to main street and hang out overlooking the water.

It might be a little too cold... only 82 forecast for Wednesday.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM

Default Ok

Ok plans are changed.. will see about the following week.

Last edited by Maria; 03-09-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Administrator

CRAPOLA!!!! MWF this coming week are out. The week 17th - 22nd I can do any day
Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 PM

Default oops re the following week

Monday is out for me and after that I have company coming in from Arizona though Tues might be doable for me but probably not for Judy re her workday. Maybe Weds.. I think I will have company thru the first part of April at least. This person that is visiting can pretty much be on his own at any given time as he's super healthy and has no back or other health issues so I'd not really want to bring him along. Very nice person just doesn't need to sit and listen to any pain or limitation related probs at any level as he's very fit and able to do whatever.. (and just a friend btw)!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:34 AM

I have been so busy i forgot to check it i am glad you didn't get together without me. OK so next week, Friday works best for me , there is always the weekend too. I have to take my daughter to the airport in the wee hours on thursday followed by Physical therapy and then go to a lab for my hematologist .
I have nothing for Friday thru Sunday.
Lets make this happen,i would love to talk so much
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-15-2014, 01:48 PM

Default re next week

I have to see how things go re this coming week. MWF I have appts for Alaska and fluids tho I may be able to take her in earlier so we could meet up on Friday. Tand Th a.m.s I have PT for my feet. I try to do my shopping re food and laundry around that schedule as I can't do much in one day because of my feet and now my back (flare up). I do have to get someone in here to clean before I have company though and I'd want to be present because it would be the first time having someone here... plus my back is now bothering me so I'm pretty limited right now between my feet and my back (can't sit worth anything currently and can't walk much at all re my feet).

I got a toradol shot at the health center over here in this community but it's such a pain to do anything with them.. I was only given 30mg IM and that just doesn't work for me so now I have to make another appt. to see if I can get 30 more mg or I think I'll just go to an Urgent Care center so I don't waste my time except sitting really hurts right now.

Lola is going to be here this weekend and I'm taking her for grooming today in Long Beach and have to take care of her while Edgar works so I'll be more busy than I'd like re my back. Hopefully I can handle it without picking her up for any reason as that'd not be a good idea right now.

I'll check back here in the week .. after my company is gone (first week in April) I'll be a bit more free again and by then my back should be OK too as my flare ups go.

take care! Maria
Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Hi Maria,
I am so sorry your back is hurting again. I hope you can rest, although it sure doesn't sound like that with your schedule. I was confused though as to whether Friday is a possibility or if you wanted to wait until the second week in April? Don't worry about cleaning for me, my house is full of dog hair right now and my kitchen is a mess. I would still let you over here. we understand how difficult it is for us back and foot patients.
Don't pick up the doggie either.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Default re this coming week

Oddly enough my back feels way better today! Weird!!!! And my feet are better too! Real Weird! I was out and about yesterday with Lola and she was at grooming for 3 hours so I had to hang out in stores because I just couldn't take the heat in Long Beach outside yesterday. I managed super well though but wanted to haul ass after I picked Lola up suffice for a few quick pix on the way home.

RE the cleaning I meant for my company that's arriving the end of March/beginning of April. It'd be nice if it was clean for everyone else but since they're not spending the night (except Edgar) I'm not too concerned.

I may be able to do this coming week .. I just have to schedule someone to clean and be here for that and that's for my company that's coming from Arizona and staying here a few days. IF it's better when you're here that's good too!

Hopefully my back will continue to feel this good and feet too!!!! Am feeling GREAT re that stuff!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Default I would like to suggest this type of exercise...

A very good exercise is to get in a pool and walk. You can experiement with how deep you like to walk. I usually do it at about shoulder height. The water alows me to do exagerated movements that I can't normally do. Which helps cut the tension down in my body. It is also good for your back muscles. I have done a lot of exercises to strengthen my back but most just seem to irritate it. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you irritate your back or neck. But, it is important to keep moving those parts of your body that are still capable of moving.

Just make sure you check with your doctor before starting anything and listen to your body. And, I am not always confident that doctors know what is going on either when it comes to physical activity. My personal belief is that once the doctors put restriction on activity, then you open up the chances of creating a case for being disabled, restricted activity and/or restricted employment. I am synical in this regard. Just my humble opinion. I once confronted my doctor on it and asked him why he never told me I had any restrictions. He told me I had restrictions....... I said, "When, you never told me squat!" He said, "Yaa, you shouldn't have been lifting anything over 30 pounds since my last surgery." I had my charts and absolutely knew he gave me know restrictions. If you are not of retirement age and decide to file for disability, it is likely that your surgeon or GP will be filling out paper work and may have to defend their opinion in a disability hearing (time away from the office) and they won't get paid. Trust me, they would rather be doing other things. Always listen to your body though and be very careful when trying to come back from a big surgery like that. Need to be super ubber gental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsewell View Post
Hi all,
I have not been on here in a while, i think depression was the cause . I am better now. I don't even know if i posted after my Sept 2013 surgery. I had an anterior attempt to fuse my lumbar from L2 -L5. It didn't go too well with more spinal fractures , then i had one in every level some caused by me, unknowingly and some by the surgery . My doc did not let me out of bed at all in the hospital and then kept me in bed for 6 weeks post op. He only recently let me do the normal daily activities. I am hoping i can attend physical therapy after my next visit on March 4th. I need to get something stronger.
since the surgery i have had 2 sets of spinal injections which have now relieved a ton of my pain. I also had kyphoplasty in Dec to repair my 4 lumbar fractures so now bumps on the road are not as dreaded for pain. Most all of my pain is gone as of today as i just had the spinal injections last thursday and again they are doing a great job.

I did develop drop foot moments before my sept surgery and had an EMG pointing to my L4 and L5 nerves which are both severly inflammed. The problem is my MRi is not showing any compression and my foot has not improved at all. I miss wearing my flip flops terribly!

I am still walking very hunched over. I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis after having osteopenia for years. Not good for my hunched overness.
I also just went for a follow up with a pulmonologist and found out my lung capacity went from 70% to only 43%. He blames my back and my inability to stand up right. This concerns me terribly. It is not necessarily painful to walk that way, just very tiring and embarrassing. I hear people talking about me behind my back now it is that bad. I was hoping my bone density had gotten better and i could talk to my surgeon about trying to straighten me out.

I have gone on a short hike 3 times in the last month. I am such a fall risk, i don't want to go alone and don't know anyone except my busy son to go with me. I have one friend who went 2 weeks ago , but i don't think she can handle the slow pace. But i must start exercising. Hiking is the best as i can use my 2 hiking poles to hold me somewhat up right. One cane is not as good walking on a paved path. I did have a mishap and fall flat on my back into a stream on my second attempt which made us turn around. I could not get myself up at all and needed the help of my son and a nice man who saw me fall.

That is kind of my update. i may have more to say when i see my doc next week. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. I guess i should put in some statistics as i have not updated my signature.I have now had 11 spinal surgeries and am fused or trying to fuse from C4 thru L5. Not much left.

Judy

Last edited by Ringo; 03-16-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Friday? I'll have to leave about 1:30 to pick up Zoey....
Old 03-17-2014, 04:48 PM

Default hmm

Friday.. I have to be at the Vet's at 11 and usually get back around 11:30 or 11:45 so I'd have to see if I can bring her in earlier that day. Still have to arrange for the cleaning. I want it done in the morning vs. afternoon as it's difficult to keep my old kitty from getting stressed out so if in the a.m. I can drop her off at the Vet's and go back and pick her up afterwards.

You guys go ahead and figure out what you're doing and I'll try to make it if I can.

The first week in April I have to go to San Diego for a PM appt. and I have company for a few days very end of March/into the first week of April so 2nd week in April would be good for me. I still have my PT schedule on T-Th around 10a.m. to 11a.m. and then MWF take Alaska to the Vets at 11a.m.

I'm already tired just writing this! Wow.. can't believe I've slowed down this much Got to remember to call to schedule my B12 shot this week!!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM

Anyone ok with Saturday? Seems like Friday you two are busy. On saturday i will just have to leave at 3:30 to go home and get my daughter to work, but i could come in the morning and we will still have a lot of time.

Or could we meet Friday afternoon?
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 AM

Default re Friday or Saturday

Judy,
Friday after I take Alaska might work for me and/or Saturday but I have to check with Edgar to see when we're going to take our taxes in to the accountant. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 PM

But on Friday Mark has to leave by 1:30m to pick up Zoey. Maybe the next week will work better for us all to meet!! I hope so
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 PM

Default ok

Yeah as it turns out Friday won't work for me either and while I can probably get together on Saturday it's supposed to drizzle. I think next week is out for me as I have quite a bit to do before my company comes and then the first week of April thru that weekend is out for me so I can make it the 2nd week of April but my schedule is still pretty much after noon on any day. If you guys want to meet at the beach proper feel free to meet without me (or at any time) as I cannot walk on the beach with my orthotic/brace/shoes or prefer not to as the whole get up cost too much to get messed up (lots of Velcro and it doesn't bode well with sand) with sand and they're not comfortable for that anyway. Actually they're not comfortable in the heat at all really .. too cumbersome but hey between the PT and wearing them I'm doing better. Still not walking much and way far from where I'd like to be mobility wise but hopefully getting there.

Last edited by Maria; 03-21-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:41 AM
Administrator

Saturday OK with me!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:32 PM

Saturday is still good for me , i didn't see any forecast for drizzle, i just may have to get back home by 4;30 To give my daughter a ride to work, but if we are going to get together ,i will see if my son can do it.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 03-22-2014, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Judy is coming to my house around noon. We'll either hang out here, or go to Main street or the dog beach. Anyone interested in joining us, send me a PM.

Mark
Old 03-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Maria, I've got people working on my house today, so Judy and I decided to blame not getting together on you. Still trying to put it together... let's pick a good day. Maybe Judy and I can come to you and take you out for a quick lunch.

Talk to you soon,

Mark
Old 03-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Oh shit... did I just use a smiley? I swore never to do that!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 PM

Default huh?

what up with no mas smileys? sure blame me .. why not? I'll blame the cat!
Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 PM

Well Maria we not only blamed you, but you get to pick the date we try for !! Hope you are doing well with your company there.
I've gotta go to physical therapy now
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 04-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Crapola... I've completely undone the benefit of the epidural. Back into full blown episode complete with crushing chest pain and more!

Fortunately, the onset of the pain was VERY specific and may give more confidence in the diagnosis!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 AM

Default goodness...

Here I am not gone long and I get blamed and have to pick a new get together date and Mark pulled a Maria and set himself off with a flare up!

well I've had a great time w/company and a trip to San Diego to see my PM and just got back today. Company leaving tomorrow and Edgar and I will have our taxes done on Saturday so after that I'm pretty much open~

I will have PT on T and Thurs at 10a.,m. and Alaska's fluids MWF at 11a.m. so pretty much my schedule is that I'm free after that.

Maybe Judy and I can come over your place Mark and hang out with you if your flare up is still on. I just got a Toradol shot at the PM's so my back is good .. my feet are pretty ouchy from a bit of overdoing .. hopefully that will clear up and I'll be good to go!

take care~ Maria
Old 04-09-2014, 08:52 PM

Mark i am sorry, did you do anything in particular to mess up your thoracic area?
I will do whatever and go anywhere. I had not checked this in a few days been busy re doing taxes and sharing one car in the house, we are back to 2 cars . I have physical therapy basically on tuesday and thursdays. Next Wed the 16th is free so far . Of course usually free on Saturday's too. Lets do this!!
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 04-09-2014, 09:40 PM

Default re flare ups

Twisted my right ankle on Monday after taking Alaska for fluid and compensated by limping and bearing more weight on left foot so yesterday both feet were in an uproar and my back was killing me from limping/gimping. Tried to rest the afternoon and evening but didn't quite recover so hopefully by resting today and then just doing what I have to for the rest of the week/weekend which is plenty of errand but hoping to divide them up each day so I can recover.. will just have to see how I'm doing next week .. arghhh...

Am going to list my Laguna Woods prop so have to see if there's anything I need to do about that other than get the remaining stuff I have there out (not much but enough to make it a bit of a hassle for me since I don't drive myself there).

Mark what's happening with you? Feeling better? I hope so though I know how some of this stuff can linger or just hang us up quite a bit.

Judy you sound like you're doing Ok and made it thru taxes .. Yay!!!!! I was so glad to get that over with this past Saturday!

Ok take care guys and talk to you soon! Maria
Old 04-16-2014, 04:57 AM

Maria how is your ankle feeling? How about the rest of you? I got my re finance approved so i will soon be debt free and have enough left over to put in central air . That will be so nice.I have been hot all winter and am looking forward to a cooler house this summer.
I hope we can figure something out soon to get together. I need you two for spine advice.

Mark how are you feeling? Is it too much for us to come over to see you?

judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Default so far

Been better this week Judy .. hope this continues without me blowing it again anytime soon. I was out 5 hours today running errands including going to Costco but I did limit myself to just going to 2 areas instead of walking all about. That meant buying next to nothing. I would have ridden in one of the electric carts if I'd have seen them before I entered.

After that I went to the Farmer's Market in Long Beach on Ocean and Cherry at Bixby Park. I did walk all about there and then sat and listened to music then drove down by the beach and hung out a bit. After that I rocked out while driving back to Seal Beach listening to my radio with music like Queen, Led Zepplin, etc.. oldies from my past on a San Diego radio station.

So I "think" I'm doing better at least enough for a visit. I probably can't really walk about that much at least predictably. If Mark is doing Ok then maybe we can get together for a bit soon.

This week I have a Thursday afternoon apt. at 3p.m. and then Friday just Alaska's fluids and I'm done with that at noon. I've been having a difficult GI time lately which I think is related to ingesting some kind of toxin. Mornings have been a total waste for me re feeling sick. It's pretty much day by day for me tho with regard to any plans other than appts. for the cat ( I'd force myself to take her even if I have to miss my own appts). Next week I have Monday 2p.m. doctor's appt. re the tummy and then next Thurs I have a 3p.m. appt. for PT. I think I'm done with PT after this as my insurance won't pay for more. Then I'll have Tues and Thursdays really free. I know Tuesdays are your volunteer day right Judy (or evening) so I know that day is probably out.

Good news re your refinancing!!! Yay!!!!! I'm going to be listing my Laguna Woods home this week or next. Hope it will sell pretty quick at the price near what I'll be asking.

ok let's hope we can get together soon.. Judy I think you've had the most done and are doing the best it seems!

Last edited by Maria; 04-16-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 AM

I was really busy with appointments for a few weeks there, it seems to have calmed down now. I am having central air put in this week, too late for the heat wave, but oh well i will be ready for the next one.
so this week is out , but i sure would love to be at the beach area instead of the hot valley.
After that it is mostly just one appointment and physical therapy during the week. I hope we can do this soon, i have to be better about checking this site too. On the 15th my ex reduced my income by $2000 per month so i will have to be living off savings if i want to eat or feed the kids. I pleaded with him to reconsider and add food money in , so i will see if he does anything this week when the next money is due.
Well it is my bed time. I guess regarding my spine, i cannot lay on my back at all and cannot lay on my tummy either. My neck seems to be bothering me most and i am considering getting a set of shots in there.
Falling asleep
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 PM

Default Hello

Hey Judy,
good to hear from you! I'm so sorry to read that your ex is such a heartless wonder. I do hope he'll reconsider and give more $. Can't believe a Judge would go along with such a reduction in $ either considering the circumstances.

Well it's going to be quite hot here by the beach this week getting into what I'm hearing on the news the high 90's. I don't really do well in the heat at all so if it's actually that in the daytime I'll be staying in most of this time.

It's supposed to be a bit cooler over the weekend and hopefully maybe the following week? I'm not in PT anymore so am more free on Tues and Thurs which I know Tues are out for you re your volunteer/work (?sorry not sure which it is) schedule.

My feet are doing better finally. I hope they stay that way. I find that hot hot weather seems to really aggravate my feet though I think it's also wearing the brace/orthotic contraptions as they weigh about 2 lbs each and after a while I feel like I'm clunking around in weights between them and my clunky tennis shoes. Anyway I am glad however to be doing better at this point. Even rode my bike a few minutes the other day! I do need to get a woman's bike though or what is called a swing thru I think, maybe even an electric bike.

My back is doing Ok. Status quo I would say until I do something to aggravate it

I'll check back here and see what's going on with you.. Hope you can weather the heat this week before you get your central air! That sounds like a dream!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:21 AM

The air is up and running, i am so happy.
I am thinking in the next few weeks Wed and Friday and weekends are the best days for me. Kind of opposite of you Maria. This is crazy we should be able to get together without so much difficulty.
one update is i saw my foot surgeon last week and he can do surgery which is very successful in fixing drop foot. He said only to wait to 9 months to give the nerve a chance to come back on it own and that will be in June so i have the surgery scheduled for June 26th. I am so excited that it can actually be fixed. I want to wear my flip flops. I was just figuring out the timing of things and if all goes as expected i will be in regular shoes in January.
My daughter did point out that while i am in a cast i can anything i want on my left foot. I was excited to hear that too. At the last 3-4 months are back in the brace though.

my neck is bothering me more and more and i don't know if i should have injections in it. My 4 months or 3 months , i forget which i am on where my surgeon said he could do the injections is coming up soon and i have to pick which area or to have them at all or not.

WEll i better go , hope to see you Maria and Mark and any other so cal people soon
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 05-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Judy, what does he do for foot drop and how does he evaluate that issue to determine if it's permanent or repairable?

I hope we can pull off the get together soon... wish we all lived closer!

Mark
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 AM

Mark i need to go back and see the surgeon to ask questions as i was so excited that he could repair it that i only heard the last part. I know he was talking about using a muscle that normally would pull the foot down and put it in place of the one not working . Maybe. Then it needs to be trained to pull the foot up. I assume that includes a transfer of tendons. It was just simply explained to me. Then i don't even remember how long he said with no weight bearing. Then i do know 3 weeks in a cast and when that comes off then 3 -4 months back in the AFO . I figure by January i can wear my flip flops again!!

I am trying for this friday to get together, providing my daughter does not need a ride to work. Heck, my son is off on Friday's he could do it if she is working. It is supposed to be hot again so good hang out at the beach weather if both of you are up for it. I am up for hanging out in someones yard if need be as well.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 AM

Mark i didn't even answer the second part of your question. Not sure i even can . I have absolutely no signal getting through at all to my nerves in the area. My physical therapist tried with some type of electrical device and got no reaction. I cannot get my foot to go up at all. All the foot surgeon did was look at my EMG and take an xray and we are ready to go.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 05-05-2014, 07:47 AM

Default re your foot

Judy,
I wonder if it's the posterior tibial tendon/muscle that might be worked on? The reason why I wonder this is because if this detaches or ruptures (in my case) the foot will be totally flat (I am flat footed bilaterally) and useless and emergency surgery will need to be performed.

To date I am doing better after near 2 months of PT yet my right foot seems to remain weaker. I am wearing the AFOs which was supposed to be for 6 months but at last podiatric visit I was told 9 months now.

I have been able to do more lately such as walk around a bit more. Today I went to MOLAA (Museum of Latin American Art). I didn't stay too long as the line to get into the Frida Kahlo exhibit was super long and had quite a wait so I went out back to the Sculpture Garden and another part of the exhibit. After this I went to an early dinner with a friend. I had wanted to stay in my old neighborhood a while longer (till sunset) but my feet were tired and it was pretty hot today so I just drove home.

I can't drive with the AFO on so I'm constantly taking it off to drive and putting it back on to get out of the car to do whatever. It is my right foot that is more problematic (my pedal foot). I take it the foot drop is in your left foot?

I'm wondering if you can have the foot drop fixed in terms of position but will the function be restored?

When do you see this doctor/surgeon again?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:33 PM

It is something to do with the posterior tibial tendon , i had an emg and on both feet i think that tendon or muscle or whatever is not working. I'll have to get another copy of my report as when i showed it to the surgeon's nurse to make a copy for him, i ended up leaving without it. I just made an apt to see him on May 19th to go over the surgery as i don't remember half of what he said to me. I was just too excited that it will be fixed. Now it is my right foot and it just flops down. I can drive in my AFO , thankfully.
I'll let you know ,more when i get the report back.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 05-08-2014, 12:08 AM

Default re AFO

Hey Judy,
what does your AFO look like? I think you saw a photo of the one I have. I think that it's the shoe as well that makes it seem like such clunkiness. I'm going to try wearing it with another tennis shoe that isn't quite like the ones I regularly wear and see if can manage to drive with the AFO on. I feel good driving barefoot though for sure!

I had a friend that had the surgery to reattach the posterior tibial tendon and she was in wheelchair for 4 months she said post operatively. She however made a really good recovery and has been able to travel and go walking tours in Europe post her full recovery so that's really good. She cannot however wear "pretty" shoes anymore than I can for walking and rarely wears a shoe that doesn't have a fair amount of support in it. Occasionally she has some flare ups with her foot that she thinks are more like arthritis now and has pain and stiffness in that ankle joint so she is still careful plus she experiences some numbness in her feet re neuropathies due to her diabetes so I think that is partly why she has tripped and fallen. She sometimes walks with a cane though does manage to get around pretty well.

Am interested to hear what all is going on with your foot and what will be done surgically and what the recovery period is expected to be. Will one of your daughters be home to help you this summer or your son after your surgery?
Old 05-10-2014, 05:52 AM

My youngest will be here when not working. the problem with her is she needs to get her license before i have surgery or she will not have a way to get to work and back. i will also need her to drive me to my appointments. My son will be around too but he spends tons of time at the computer shop he is learning at. Actually the owner is planning on opening another shop near us and having Tim run it . So he may be very busy. I will probably be mostly on my own as usual. The house will be a dirty disaster as no one around here cleans except me when i can. Oh well, life goes on doesn't it.
It is late and i am tired and hungry so will get a little something and go to bed.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 05-10-2014, 06:14 PM

Default re house

Well that will probably take a back seat to surgery and recovery!!! So will driving most likely no matter which foot is involved so hopefully your dau will get her drivers license before your surgery. What about a rehab hospital for you post surgery?
Old 05-11-2014, 03:49 AM

I don't see any reason to go to a Rehab place. I doubt my insurance co would pay anyway. I will just need the kids to get me food and take care of the dogs . I know i can't carry anything on crutches. oh how i hate walking with crutches too. Hopefully they will not be for a very long time, but who knows. I don't have any idea what type of cast i will be in, but i know that is part of the plan. I am seeing my surgeon on the 19th so i better start writing down questions I also will bring paper with me to write down what he tells me , because i will not remember much.

This week is going to be a scorcher. I will get my daughters work schedule from her tonight, i hope and then i think if she is not working on Wed , i am definitely heading to the beach. I can't go on Thursday or Tuesday and on Monday i have physical therapy at 12:30 so it would be too late a start with traffic. It is supposed to be 103 here on Wed . !!! I have air now , thankfully, but it will still be really nice at the beach and i need to work on my tan!!
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 05-14-2014, 10:51 PM

Default did you make it

To the beach today? I went to Seal Beach last evening and it was really great there re perfect weather and just perfect place to be. Walked out on the pier and looking to one side saw the sun setting and to the other side the full moon appearing in sky. So incredibly beautiful!

Went to SB this a.m. to listen to this guy who wrote and published a book on Seal Beach at O'Malley's bar. That was kind of fun and then checked out a few little shops meaning to get to walk to the Pier but my feet were starting to "grumble" at me and I had to go pick up Alaska at the Vet's where I left her before going to hear the guy talk.

There was a fire in the Cerritos Wetlands which is about at PCH and 2nd Street intersection or nearby there and that backed traffic up like crazy getting home. A drive of normally at the most 10 minutes took me about 45 minutes to get home with a cat full of sub q fluids and a/c on in my SUV.

Got home and hung out with a few neighbors for about a half hour under a nice shady tree and then it started to get real hot even in the shade. Watered my succulent plants and it was just burning up in the sun!

I'd go to the beach but since I can't walk barefooted by the water I don't really want to go until it's cool enough to sit out in the shade somewhere which an idea many people have besides me! There were plenty of people at the beach this morning though and it did look really inviting!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Rehab hospitals and skilled nursing facilities (SNF) = nursing home. Some are good... some are OK and some are incubators. I had a client in his 80's who had a very successful surgery, but because he had come from out of town for surgery, was sent to a SNF where he acquired an infection. He recovered nicely after many weeks of IV antibiotics/PICC line, etc... but that recovery was very difficult and expensive. He would have been MUCH better off going to a hotel with his wife caring for him. Obviously, there were reasons that that did not seem to be the most attractive option.

Going to a rehab hospital or SNF may be a good option, but part of the decision making process should be a REALISTIC assessment of the risks.

Mark

Last edited by mmglobal; 05-15-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Default re rehab

I beg to differ on rehab hospital =SNF=Nursing Home. A rehab hospital or facility stay is something that a physician and other qualified health care professionals consider for the patient if the patient lives alone or has very little to no help with recovering and the recovery will benefit by the assistance of a rehab staff and stay. Plenty of younger than the very elderly go to rehab hospitals for recoveries especially for orthopedic related surgical recoveries if there is no one to help them thru the early stages of a difficult recovery and if there is insurance that covers the stay. I believe that today there are many SNF units that may be another part of the rehab hospital facility but not because everyone will make the progression from rehab to SNF etc.

I worked in a rehab hospital in Virginia. It may have been some time ago but one thing I noticed when my father was in a 5 star rehab post an emergency stomach surgery back in 2009 was that the services provided were much better, better organized, way more comprehensive and had excellent qualified staff to help with recovery.

It was very difficult for me to deal with myself the first few days post bunion surgery believe it or not but thinking about caring for myself after a major surgery like repair of posterior tibial tendon I believe I would need to stay in a rehab facility at least the first week.

If one can recover at home of course by all means that's the way to go. My question was posed to Judy out of concern re recovery at home if the surgery/recovery warrants it. I didn't mean to insult you Judy if you took it that way.

Last edited by Maria; 05-15-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Maria, thanks for the correction. My statements above may be a gross oversimplification. I need a good smack down once in a while.

BTW, I don't think that anyone takes ANYTHING you write as insults... you provide useful information and caring support. Your perspective as a nurse is VERY useful.

I think that your description of rehab hospitals helps us understand what they are supposed to be, and usually are. My point that some rehab hospitals may really be glorified nursing homes, IMHO is still valid. We just need to keep our eyes open and be good consumers. My experience here is colored by ONE example from ONE spine patient that I know. We all know that a sample size of one is of little value, but I'll still use that experience as motivation to ask more questions and not assume that everything is as it should be.

Mark
Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 PM

Default absolutely

re the questions Mark. Rehab facilities used to be part of the hospital but it seems there is greater $ to be made to often design them as a separate entity w/ rehab, SNF and maybe Alzheimer related unit facility. I'm guessing this has to do with a better way to make $ (be reimbursed) for these services then again I'm not sure about that so just talking about the topic may prompt me to see if that is a major factor in the facility concept and design.

If one has the insurance that would cover the services and choice is an option than by all means pick the one that is the best based on careful questioning and scrutiny.

There are rehab facilities out there that are crappy and those that are OK and those that excellent. I was so fortunate that both of my parents were able to go into a 5 star facility when it was needed. Mom broke her pelvis when she was 80 and made such an incredible recovery she was released short of 3 weeks to PT at home and Home health nursing as needed. I flew in to help with her care but realistically I wasn't in any shape to actually help with anything but vacuuming, dusting, preparing meals and doing dishes! Dad was less prepared for all that!

My father's rehab experience was truly amazing because he suffered a volvulus and had emergency stomach surgery when he was 87~ he went from weighing 124lbs to weighing 100 lbs after 2 weeks in the hospital. I was there every day most of the day (hospital) and went every day the first 3 weeks of his rehab stay to which the staff told me to fly back home as I was hindering his recovery (he wanted to wait for me, listen to me, depend on me).. they really were quite incredible as I witnessed first hand even though I truly had reservations that no one was as astute as me in terms of what I thought my father needed and when. Truly I didn't know all the great stuff that was available for all kinds of things that can happen while one is basically falling apart at the seams physically and needs a complete rehab job (in his case due to terribly weakened condition, extreme osteoporosis, severe DDD, crazy f'ing lymphedema condition in his right leg, hypertension, his cardio pulmonary status etc... yada yada (or is yadda yadda)?

Yep.. the range of excellence is there just like in almost all aspects of healthcare!

Being alone as I am I have to look at these options just like any other part of a healthcare related decision.

Last edited by Maria; 05-15-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 AM

Maria you in no way insulted me at all. I don't remember how i replied and was too lazy to go back and look.
I have only one day in a rehab unit in a hospital. It was after my hip replacement . I had been part of a study of IV tylenol before it was available here in the US. for the study i had to stay one more day than was needed for my recovery so the study doc had me go to rehab.
Two years ago after the lumbar spine surgery that left me in horrible pain and unable to walk, my surgeon was going out of town for the weekend and didn't know what to do with me so he tried to get me into the rehab at the hospital and i was turned down as i could not do enough .
He suggested a nursing home for the weekend or until he could get back and try to figure out what the next step was because he wanted me to get around the clock pain meds. I asked all the doctors that came in my room for 2 days and everyone else and only one good one in the area and they looked it up and my insurance would not cover it. so i asked my kids and they all said i could come home. I got food about once a day , maybe a few glasses of water and pretty much left alone except the company of 2 great dogs. It was ok, i don't need much. I am sure i can survive this time too. My daughter will have just graduated from nursing school and i am hoping she can come and stay a few days. I will need the most help with driving me to appointments and getting my daughter to work. so i am really hoping she will start learning how to drive now,. she has 6 weeks left

I never got to the beach as i slept too late on Wed after a late night clinic at DrF's on Tuesday night, I think i left LA for home at 1:30am.

I had better get to sleep now or i will sleep too late tomorrow too

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 05-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Default interesting

My Dad was able to eat on his own and that's all it took for him to go to rehab and he hardly was eating then. Couldn't get up by himself, or go to the bathroom or anything else. I mean he was really in sad sad shape so I am so thankful he went where he did. Thankfully his insurance allowed him the best option.

My own experience was I needed the most help the first few days to first week post my really involved 2nd knee surgery and my first bunion surgery as well as my back surgeries.

I was really lucky the last time I had bunion surgery my younger downstairs neighbor would go grocery shopping for me and checked on me pretty frequently. I wanted to pay her but she wouldn't accept any $. I think Edgar came down and took me to the doctor as often as necessary. Thinking back on that reminds me of my first bunion surgery where basically E was in charge of taking care of me and was about what you said with a glass of water and gone for 12 hours ... I cried so much with that first bunion surgery as it was super painful and I never expected it to be THAT BAD especially after 2 back surgeries and 2 knee surgeries!!!! All that pressure in my toes when I put my foot down was just killer the first week!

It was soooo hot here yesterday I didn't go outside until 5:30p.m. and then only to the grocery store and after that I drove by Seal Beach pier and it was just so beautiful but parking was all taken up on the street where I wanted to park so I just came home. It was only a little cooler at 6p.m. though at least enough that I could drive home with the windows down vs. using the a/c in the car.

This weekend will be cooler thankfully! Yay!!!!

Last edited by Maria; 05-16-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:06 PM

I am so happy it is cooling off again too. It was just too hot. i went to the gym again yesterday , but now i will be back to walking outside. My daughter came home this morning early and they had not slept all night so she will be out all day in bed and i don't have to worry about my taxi duties. this week i am too busy to get to the beach until Friday . But my daughter has to go to physical therapy for a few weeks , mostly to get trained in a home exercise program so that is really the first day she can make it because she is working all week.
I am seeing my foot surgeon Monday to get all the details of the surgery and recovery. Then Tuesday my spine surgeon, then Wed my annual hip surgeon's visit. i am a few weeks early on that but my hip that was not replaced was giving me such a hard time about 2 weeks ago that i got scared and made the appointment. Now since i made the apt it has been fine!!! Figures.

I do need to see the beach and work on my tan before my trip to Florida, Becka and i are going June 4th through June 9th. Short and it stays sweet, any longer and not so much.
take care and we really do need to see each other, maybe next weekend?
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery