Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss How did/do you deal with the stress? in the Main forums forums; I have been reading the various topics and trying to be not so freaked out about the operation I will ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 05:38 PM

Unhappy New with lots of questions

I have been reading the various topics and trying to be not so freaked out about the operation I will be having shortly. My main question, though, is are there people that have gone through ADR by themselves. Unfortunately it is just me and my crazy cat. I would like to know what is recommended to do in advance. I have a feeling my fridge will be stocked with TV dinners at least for the first little while. One of my cars is an automatic, so that should be easier. I have automatic feeders and such for the cat so I will not have to pour food everyday. His water will also last a couple weeks (though all I really have to do is let the faucet drip as he prefers this. I am sorry I am a little scatterbrained right now, but I have two weeks until I have it done. I am trying to tie up all of the loose ends and have most of it under control (I think). I just don't want to overlook any small details that can turn around to bite me in the butt. I hope I am mentally prepared, but we will soon see. AAAGH! (There, I got it out)
Old 06-10-2009, 05:53 PM

What surgery are you having?

Can you get one of those 'fingers on a stick' gadgets? They have a handle on one end and grippers on the others so that you can pick things up without bending over, or get things off a tall shelf?

Remember that your gut will be sluggish after anesthetic, especially if you are having lumbar surgery and your organs are being moved aside. So make sure the food you are stocking up on is good for you, not too much junk food which will contribute to constipation. You will heal better with a proper diet too. Trail mix, with dried fruit and nuts gives you something to chew on, easy to eat (no preparation), and helps keep the gut moving, just as a start.

Make sure that the kitty doesn't jump on you and your incision...we have several of the critters, and I know how they like to crawl over us and jump on the most inappropriate areas

I'm sorry, I haven't gone through this myself, but am trying to remember what I liked having around when I went through my last abdominal surgery. Keep posting and don't worry about 'too many questions'. That's what we're here for.

How about gadgets for the shower and/or bath too...rubber mats to make sure you don't slip when you are able to use it, but are still a little unsteady. You can rent stools for sitting while you shower, and handles for the side of the tub, just in case. I'll keep thinking....
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.

Last edited by Katie; 06-10-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Default Katie, You are amazing!

][quote=Katie;10257]What surgery are you having?
I am having L-5/ S-1
Can you get one of those 'fingers on a stick' gadgets? They have a handle on one end and grippers on the others so that you can pick things up without bending over, or get things off a tall shelf?

I can try to find one, though things are hard to find here. This is one of those times I wish Germany still had Wal-Mart.

Remember that your gut will be sluggish after anesthetic, especially if you are having lumbar surgery and your organs are being moved aside. So make sure the food you are stocking up on is good for you, not too much junk food which will contribute to constipation. You will heal better with a proper diet too. Trail mix, with dried fruit and nuts gives you something to chew on, easy to eat (no preparation), and helps keep the gut moving, just as a start.

Your true genius has shown. Much tastier than tv dinners and I can limit my up and down the stairs.Non refrigerated items should have been common sense for me.

Make sure that the kitty doesn't jump on you and your incision...we have several of the critters, and I know how they like to crawl over us and jump on the most inappropriate areas

Not much control over this one, but just before reading this, he did just that.

I'm sorry, I haven't gone through this myself, but am trying to remember what I liked having around when I went through my last abdominal surgery. Keep posting and don't worry about 'too many questions'. That's what we're here for.

How about gadgets for the shower and/or bath too...rubber mats to make sure you don't slip when you are able to use it, but are still a little unsteady. You can rent stools for sitting while you shower, and handles for the side of the tub, just in case. I'll keep thinking....

Lucky for me, my house is owened by an older lady so there are the handles.The mats, they can be functional and cute. Score!! (BTW, my little kitty just ran over me again)[/QUOTE]

Thank you soo much. I have an associate that just went through it. I talk to him at least once a week to see how he is doing, and he is hating life. I will be having the same Dr. as him and such. However, he did say that everyone else that went to him was doing rather well. I know some say that women handle pain easier (I'm not claiming this is true or untrue), but sometimes he can be a little wimpy. For the time being, I am hoping that claim is true. (No offense to you guys) The part that really scares me is the having to give myself injections. I am deathly afraid of needles. If I stay moving, though, I probably would not need them. Also in his case, he has a wife that loves him more than anything and would do anything to keep him comfortable. I am really starting to worry. He goes back to work in a couple of weeks, but he is still pretty bad. He tells me not to judge the procedure by his outcome, but he is the only one I know that has gone through it.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 PM

why would you have to give yourself shots?

Discsectemy June L4/L5 2004

Discssectemy L4/L5 January 2007

MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"

May 11th Dr Apptment - Told that another Discsectemy could be done.

Looking for Surgeon for second Opinion
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM

Heck, I haven't even gotten started yet Most people take these suggestions as nagging, especially Dear Heart!

"why would you have to give yourself shots? " I was about to ask the same thing....I don't know of anyone who had to do this.

I would listen to your associate and not worry about your recovery mirroring his. I don't know why it is, but most of the women I know have come through the surgeries easier than men, and I am no way prejudiced that way. Just reporting the facts

As for the gadgets, our pharmacies (drug stores, etc....I don't know what your term is for that) carry them, as much as Walmart does.

I'll see if I can think of anything else....
All conventional therapy exhausted, including spinal injections, PT, massage, etc.
In appeal with Gov't Insurance for Out-of-country coverage for ADR hybrid surgery of above discs.
Recently discovered that I am severely allergic to all common metals used in surgical hardware except for Titanium.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 PM

Default Shots & Stress & Surgery

I had to give myself shots from the day I left from the hospital until the day I left from Paris. They were blood thinner shots to prevent blood clots, and I had to continue them until the latter of a) staying up and active for at least 4 hours per day, or b) until I made the trans-Atlantic flight home. I didn't think I'd be able to give them to myself, and for the first couple of days, Hubby gave them to me...but once he told me that he REALLY didn't like giving them, I sucked it up and gave them to myself. It really wasn't so bad...the needle is really small; I didn't even feel it going in.

As for the stress, up until I finally got to Germany, I was a mess! I had to increase my daily anxiety med dose, and deal as best as I could. I don't think I would have made it without my wonderful husband, and the TONS of support that I got (and still get) from my friends on this site. Now, I'm fine; I went back down to my regular dose of anxiety med, and I haven't had to take Xanax for the accute attacks since before the surgery.

As for the surgery itself, I had it on a Tuesday afternoon. I pretty much slept until Thursday morning, then I woke up, got up, put on my brace and took off. Went for maybe 5-6 small walks that day. Friday, started using the stairs instead of the elevator and made arrangements to leave the hospital 2 days early. Saturday, went for a one mile walk around the hospital. Sunday, checked out of the hospital, and flew to Paris to be with Hubby (who was working). Been going ever since, and have to "force" myself to slow down. Spent a wonderful week in Paris and was even able to get out and see some sites and do some shopping. The only pain I have now, 2 weeks post-op, is muscle pain in my legs and hips (because I'm almost 2 inches taller, and everything is stretched) and my abdomen is a little tender from the incision. ZERO back pain...well, not the same back pain...my muscles will get a little achey if I do too much...but the pre-op pain is completely gone. So far, so GREAT!!!!

Making the decision to have the surgery was only part of the battle...then fighting the "crazies" that get you when things are too quiet, or when you can't sleep in the middle of the night. I have to admit, that the recovery is MUCH easier than the months leading up to the surgery.

Hang in there, and please tell us more about you.

Jess

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany
Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessmith07 View Post
I had to give myself shots from the day I left from the hospital until the day I left from Paris. They were blood thinner shots to prevent blood clots, and I had to continue them until the latter of a) staying up and active for at least 4 hours per day, or b) until I made the trans-Atlantic flight home. I didn't think I'd be able to give them to myself, and for the first couple of days, Hubby gave them to me...but once he told me that he REALLY didn't like giving them, I sucked it up and gave them to myself. It really wasn't so bad...the needle is really small; I didn't even feel it going in.

As for the stress, up until I finally got to Germany, I was a mess! I had to increase my daily anxiety med dose, and deal as best as I could. I don't think I would have made it without my wonderful husband, and the TONS of support that I got (and still get) from my friends on this site. Now, I'm fine; I went back down to my regular dose of anxiety med, and I haven't had to take Xanax for the accute attacks since before the surgery.

As for the surgery itself, I had it on a Tuesday afternoon. I pretty much slept until Thursday morning, then I woke up, got up, put on my brace and took off. Went for maybe 5-6 small walks that day. Friday, started using the stairs instead of the elevator and made arrangements to leave the hospital 2 days early. Saturday, went for a one mile walk around the hospital. Sunday, checked out of the hospital, and flew to Paris to be with Hubby (who was working). Been going ever since, and have to "force" myself to slow down. Spent a wonderful week in Paris and was even able to get out and see some sites and do some shopping. The only pain I have now, 2 weeks post-op, is muscle pain in my legs and hips (because I'm almost 2 inches taller, and everything is stretched) and my abdomen is a little tender from the incision. ZERO back pain...well, not the same back pain...my muscles will get a little achey if I do too much...but the pre-op pain is completely gone. So far, so GREAT!!!!

Making the decision to have the surgery was only part of the battle...then fighting the "crazies" that get you when things are too quiet, or when you can't sleep in the middle of the night. I have to admit, that the recovery is MUCH easier than the months leading up to the surgery.

Hang in there, and please tell us more about you.

Jess
Thanks, that was helpful. (I still hate the needle, though) I still have bruises on my leg where I received them the first time I was hospitalized. I am truly glad that you enjoyed Paris. (I don't know how you could even look at a plane) I drove my friend home and he was about to die after 2 hrs in my comfy car.
As far as the stress, I am already in Germany, so that may help a little (though everything in the states is falling apart). Just last week, my car was stolen from my sister and totaled. And yesterday I was told someone kicked in the door in an attempt to burglarize my home that is currently being rennovated. I am trying to settle all of that while preparing. Not to mention getting odd comments at work (I am a chauffeur) and being critiqued and yelled at anytime I have to go take care of something (though when I am not driving I am sitting around trying to stay awake).

Which brings me to my next question: How difficult is driving?
I currently struggle to even walk (which is very unprofessional) to where my passenger today ordered me to remain in the vehicle rather than open the door for him because he said watching me made him cringe. Loading and unloading his luggage was definately out of the question. Though I will have a recovery period, eventually I will have to return to driving
Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 PM

I just got home from Europe Monday, and went driving around, playing Mom's Taxi Service, today. It was fine...I have a big suburban, so it rides really well and has plenty of leg room...the only thing I find painful when driving are speed bumps...I haven't gone out in our little 2-seater convertible yet... but my 15 year-old wants us to take it out, because she thinks we look so "Hot" in it! Lord, help me!

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany
Old 06-10-2009, 08:37 PM

The injections have something to do with preventing blood clots. This may be the one time my thin blood will help me. Then again, the German Doctors do have some weird mannerisms. They even tell smokers to NOT QUIT as it will shock their system more. And to think that I had to finally make that decision to be told it is a bad one. I was so proud of myself (though I hadn't fully quit. Still got some nicotine, but no more cigarettes) I will check out some of the Apothecaries here and see what I can find. I just realized that the kitty litter may be a problem. I do have one that automatically scoops it, but it runs off of 110 instead of 220. I suppose I can hook it up to a transformer. Will it be difficult to scoop? I keep it in the bathroom next to my toilet and usually scoop it when using the loo. It makes it alot easier to sit and scoop.
Please nag all you want. If nothing else, it will help me use my brain as it is designed. Even small things are escaping my mind. I just can't wait for the healing to be over.