Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > Surgical Outcomes and Blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Surgical Outcomes and Blogs Discuss Surgery Monday August 8th in the Main forums forums; I hope it's not bad as in "bad enough" for surgery. I wonder if it's like ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 PM

Default Dale re your L2/3

I hope it's not bad as in "bad enough" for surgery. I wonder if it's like my L3 which has been disrupted or with an annular tear for a long time but on discogram it wasn't a pain generator so when surgery was being proposed everyone was recommending surgery at L4 and L5S1 and I did wonder what would happen to L3.

When a fusion was recommended L3 was included tho not with ADR or ADR and fusion (hybrid).

Anyway now I wonder if it's L3 that's bugging me re my left over the hip pain or L4. Whatever it is so far it's not "that bad."

I do hope your pain will ease off tho. I'm sure I've asked you before if you've tried a Toradol shot 60mg IM to alleviate muscle spasms? Even when my pain feels disc like in origin/pain the Toradol helps a great deal it seems re the muscle spasms either created by the underlying disc prob or that re aggravating the disc and creating symptoms.

The grandkids sound like a very intense work out of sorts!! I know one you love tho not the pain!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Maria,

After all these years, I can tell the difference in my various pains. I've known for a long time that L2/3 was becoming problematic but as long as it behaved, I was more accepting and not as fearful. The last couple of weeks the pain changed and coupled with radiating pains, I know what's going on.

I don't know the specifics and unless I intend to do something about it, which right now, no - I'm not going for an MRI. I am not happy and can't believe I'm heading down this path again. But, I am better this week than last so I'm still hoping with therapy, this will get better.

I am writing a lot though Just finished my second book!

Dale
Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Default re our backs

Dale,
Well I am sorry to hear that your L2/3 is giving you that much trouble. I do hope as well that w/therapy and conservative treatment it will be tolerable and even better.

I actually made an appt. w/my OSS today re my low back. Not so much because I'm worried rather I haven't seen him in a year and a half and I am symptomatic longer than I care to be so will ask for an injection of Toradol should I still have this pain next week over left hip area. It's tolerable but my experience has been an injection of Toradol breaks up the cyclic nature of spasms for a good long period (for me) so I'd like to ask for that.

Re your writing ~ that's wonderful with regard to finishing your 2nd book! Exciting! May I ask what it's about or what kind of writer are you? Reading is probably my very favorite hobby and if I could sit long periods still I'd spend hours in libraries~ even though we don't need to anymore. I still prefer a good book (of all kinds~ sewing, cooking, traveling, literature, science, history.. the list is endless).

That was one thing about Neurontin I truly disliked in terms of brain fog that limited my ability to focus long enough to read. In fact the pain that I have now might be helped by Neurontin but I do not want to restart it as my mind feels so much more alert/alive!

Back to our backs.. hope our pains leave us~ sooner than later tho even later is acceptable to me.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Maria,

I'd have to say the main reason, aside from decreasing eyesight, I gave up N&L was because it took away all my artistic desires. I was content to do absolutely nothing and a small amount of pain is better than having no life's desires.

I'm glad Torodol injections work for you. I used to take it orally after my first surgery when muscles spasms were a problem. I have now switched to Flexeril which I try to take only at night if needed like when I overdo with cooking or my babies.

As for my writing, I have no idea if my writing is publishing worthy but I prefer love stories. I've also tried mainstream but you must have an agent and as yet, I don't. Funny but I'll share my stories and seek opinions whereas I protect my paintings as sacred. I won't sell them and have given very few away to only family and friends. However, critiquing is a vital part of any artistic endeavor.

Now if you want to hear something really weird, math is my first love!

Dale
Old 10-05-2011, 10:36 PM

OK ladies, i am very bummed that your backs are now bothering you, seems like we all have a common thread with the hip area pain. Mine hip area pain started after , i mean the day of my long surgery last Sept. That was my correction of kyphosis/scoliosis, when my kyphosis went out of control in a few short months . It was effecting my breathing at that level so surgery was a must with my already compromised breathing. I woke up after surgery with both my hips hurting so bad. I have endured that for a year until this August's surgery. My back pain is really gone unless i try to stand up totally straight and now it is just on the left side some and very occasionally on the right side for a very short period of time, nothing to worry about yet. It is getting better all the time now that i have slowed down.
Just in case i have an appointment with my hip surgeon next monday. I am a few months over for my yearly hip check.
I do live on percocet and occasionally a few other pain meds that i substitute for it as well as a small dose of neurontin.
I was pretty mad at myself as i had a lot of important questions that i had nicely written out that i forgot to bring with me,. So i forgot to ask about pt or other exercise which might be allowed. We did talk very briefly about working as i asked him if i would be able to sit at at desk for an 8 hour day. He said we would have to see. Also said if i wanted to go that route, but saying that if anyone should be on disability it should be me. No one believes that i cannot get social security disability. As teachers we did not pay into it and i don't have enough credits to collect. I told him that and he told me to look into it further . Ok i will. My attorney thought i was on disability and i told him the same thing so he told me to look into state disability. I looked that one up and it says it has to be filed within 49 days of becoming disabled.
So no shots as i am getting better and i agree with his decision., Just wish i had my notes and questions with me.

My daughter in law to be arrived last night, it is so good having her here. But he luggage did not so we may be heading out to the mall to buy underwear. She fits into my other clothes so we just need underwear.

DAle, i knew you wrote so well you should be a writer and you are. So you are not published. Do you have copies of your books for others to read? I would love to!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM

Default re my back

Judy,
It's ok don't feel too bad for me.. I just got back from an hour long walk down by the beach this morning! My back did hurt yesterday w/the cooler/damper/wetter weather but when I took a walk yesterday.. the pain went away! It came back at night when I was lying on that left side.

I think it will bare minimum warrent an xray of the hip. I am seeing my OSS next week on Thursday as I've not seen him in a year and a half.

Dale would love to read your romance books as well! Have you considered online publishing? I don't know anything about it just thought I'd ask.

Judy, you may not qualify for Social Security tho don't teachers pay into some system as well? And even if not qualifying for SSD you probably do qualify for Social Security Income as I think just having a social security number you can get this. Check with the SS dept. It's something like $400-$600/mo and while it's not much it would help you with groceries, gas or maybe a bill or two.

I hope both of you will have a good day w/little pain. I can tell today is going to be good re my hip as it's not hurting at all and I didn't even sleep last night hardly (3 hours). Boy that walk this morning was GREAT! Need to do an early a.m. walk more often as I usually save it for later in the day after getting my Lola walks out of the way.

bye for now!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Judy,

Just this week reports have come in about the failure rate of metal on metal hip replacements. I don't know which one you have - but whichever, perhaps that could explain your pain. As for writing out questions for Dr but leaving them home, welcome to my world.

I know nothing about SS or disability but am doubtful there is no program out there that can help you. I am eligible for MediCal but was told they deny all requests and a lawyer or advocate is usually necessary. However, circumstances prevent me from availing myself.

Maria, did you know salt air is a natural anti-inflam. My asthma is triggered by moist air (mold, mildew, etc) but at the beach, I breathe easy. A business, The Salt Chalet, has salt rooms to arthritis, asthma... sufferers. Too expensive for me but the beach is free! I wonder - if I lived closer to the beach if I'd be able to walk daily. It is also possible, a lack of oxygen might be causing my leg to tire quickly - just a thought. However, Julius won't consider it, even if we could afford it, because the salt air also rusts cars!

No books in print yet - I don't know anything about online publishing but my son keeps talking about it. I'm currently editing my first book (again) to bring it down to 125,000 words. When done, if you're really interested, I'll email it -

Dale
Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Default hmmm

Dale,
I have to say that there was quite a period of time in which I lived in this city and coundn't walk hardly at all due to my failed 2nd spine surgery. That was in '92. It took until about the 2001 for me to really be able to start walking and that was with the ESIs, Neurontin and the pain med on board. Round about the mid 2000s I was really able to walk much more until I developed tendonitis in both feet. I was walking for hours and probably 7 miles/day at least.

Now I'm back to near a mile/day regular walk and then Lola walks. Lola walks aren't short but they are more tiring because of her pulling/freq. stops.

Re housing costs here they've come down significantly altho I'm sure you have alot of love/time/$ invested in your current home and have your healthcare providers and everything you're used to close to you.

As far as rusting for my vehicle.. I've not really noticed it to be bad here however in Florida it was terrible (and back east when l lived there growing up). I don't have a garage so I guess I'm probably used to some degree of rusting but it's not too bad esp. compared to back East.

Well I really would love to read your book when you're done editing. I have written some poetry but done anything about publishing it and probably never will. I am working on a few things myself however I don't push myself enough to finish anything. The most recent project I might however as I have much more of an emotional investment in it. That's not to say anything will be done with it though at least I might get it done (completed)!

Anyone else besides me suffer from arthritis in their hands/fingers? Today it's pretty bad but not as bad as yesterday. I guess w/the wet weather I felt it much more yesterday but with the colder night and morning my hands were painfully stiff.

I have to get something to use as an antiinflammatory medicine that won't bother my gut. I am wearing some of my mom's very nice old white rather elegant gloves while at home. Have them in black as well. They fit so nicely and have a bit of stretch to them.

Ok on that note I best be out the door as I've walked me, walked Lola again and now I have errands I'd like to run without the Missy as I can get much more done without her along even as much as I do love her company!
Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 PM

I thought i could post a reply to each of your posts, but it doesn't let me. so i will forget most of what i want to comment on. Really bad memory, I can blame it being worse on hypopituitarism and it's secondary problems like hypothyroidism.
But i do remember Dale i would love to read your book. Everyone always tells me i should make notes on my medical conditions and the mishaps and write a book, maybe someday , you could write my book for me.
My doc was aware some how of the metal particles being bad when he replaced my hip in 2008, he used a metal ball and a highly crosslinked poly for the cup/liner. so i am good there. I did go to see him last year when the pain was excrutiating and all the lawyers were out for the recalls on hip replacements. He assured me my new hip was fine. Now next week, he can assure me the non replaced one is fine too, i'll be ok.,

Maria i feel less bad for you because you are by the beach, growing up in Rhode Island, i miss the beach so much . i would love to live at the beach.

I did call my spine surgeon's office and did recieve a call back already on my questions., No pt yet, no going to the gym., I guess i am ready to get into high exercise mode and it is not time. I will continue walking, It is not too bad if the pain meds are timed just right, i can go further.

I forgot everything else. I just hope everyone feels pretty good today.
judy

Maria i am still ready to meet, my Steffi goes home next Thursday then i will be free. I know we will be at the beach before she leaves though , i'll let you know when, just in case.

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-07-2011, 01:15 AM

Default re beach

Judy,
let me know.. I have my OSS appt. next Thurs. at 10a.m. and that means I'll be there easily till at least 12noon or 1p.m. as he works thru lunch and Thurs is his busiest day. Since I've not been there in awhile they're going to treat it like a new update appt. or a long appt. I think for me that means xrays since my OSS knows me well. Even tho he's not seen me in awhile all he has to do is see my chart and visably see me and he'll recall my "trip" so to speak!

So let me know about the beach and maybe we can make it next week and if not next week maybe the week afterwards.

I am doing pretty good I have to say at least for today..started out well with the walking and am still feeling GREAT thus far and have had a long day with being out and a big ol' Lola walk and one more for this evening!

take care!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 AM

Maria we also do not have to meet at the beach, anywhere would be fine with me.
Yes, i am bothered by arthritis in my left hand, mostly in the thumb . It probably needs what was done with my big toe this summer.
Ok suddenly i am falling asleep, later
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Arthritis in my hands? I have no idea what you're talking about Actually for years I've had tendontis of my thumbs. At one point it was so bad I couldn't hold the brush and blow dryer. Now along with that, I also have arthritis and my hands just ache when it rains.

For the tendonitis, I used and still use magnets. Earth magnets, for anyone interested, are available online, google it, and about the size of a fat dime. I tape them to my thumbs at night, sometimes my elbows and it does feel better in the morning. Sometimes it might take 2-3 weeks to clear up an episode.

For anyone interested, magnets strength are measured in gauss. The magnets you can buy in drug stores, etc. are not strong enough to be of any benefit so don't waste your money. They are great for tendonitis and good for minor arthritis.

Also Maria, have you considered Voltaren gel for your hands?

Judy, glad your hip is not the one being recalled but then why are you still having pain? I hope this sunshine helps us all.

Dale
Old 10-07-2011, 06:06 PM

Dale my hip is the one being recalled. But my hip surgeon cleared it of any problems. I was in horrible pain,but on the right side it was from my spine, this last surgery cleared it up. it is the left side that still hurts, not as much though, it is getting better all the time.
Yesterday when i was out for a walk with Buddy, I saw this older lady struggling with a wheel chair(trying to go uphill). Of course with dog in tow, i had to help. Her husband , who had 4 strokes, was in the chair. It was the first day they had it and she decided all alone she should take him outside since she said he had not been outside in one month. Poor thing was having such a hard time, even though it was automatic. The toggle switch was just so sensitive. I could see she was also moving her hand when she didn't think she was. I couldn't just leave them. We took it off auto and tried to push it at times too. When we got to their house , she almost went over the side of the small porch. A lot of shifting , taking the ramp away, manual, auto., We finally got Rudy into the house and i parted.
NOt a good thing for my recovery and i feel it today and even yesterday eve. but i couldn;t just leave her there alone. BTW when we got off the first curb, we just used the whole street as our sidewalk!!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-08-2011, 07:14 AM

Default no hip pain today

I walked this morning early for 50 minutes and later this afternoon I walked for 2 and a half hours. I didn't have any hip pain today but my feet were starting to hurt in the afteroon so had to stop. It was a beautiful late afternoon walk around downtown LB and the Marina area and Shoreline Village~ just beautiful! Lola was on that walk w/me~

Judy, I would have wanted to help the woman too probably to the detriment to my spine but I know that I cannot push heavier power w/c's without painful repercussions. Hope your spine won't be too painful tomorrow!

Last edited by Maria; 10-08-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:12 PM

Default re hand pain and tendonitis in feet

Dale,
Where did you buy the magnets or did you order them online? I haven't tried Volteran gel for my hands but should. At one point I had my thumbs xrayed and one doctor recommended fusing both thumbs to stop the pain as I have had episodes where I cannot stand to use my thumbs such as holding things like dishes (between forefinger and thumb). Even now while typing my fingers on my right hand hurt while striking the keys.

In Florida the pain in my hands was terrible during the summer humidity (which lasted something like 6 months). I cried more because of hand pain/thumb pain there than my back pain!

It's not nearly as bad here in CA tho some days (wet/cold/damp) it acts up quite a bit.

Now my feet .. bilateral posterior tibial tendonitis and I have flare ups of that which I hate as it limits my walking so much when my back no longer does!

Like yesterday on the 2nd walk .. it was long and not one bit of back pain mind you tho I knew my feet weren't going to take much more. Arghh!

So I think I'd like to try the magnets for my feet perhaps as well as my hands. Thanks Dale for the suggestions ( I know you mentioned the magnets before and I had forgotten so going to make a big note to remind myself about them and Volteran gel).
Old 10-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Judy,

Sorry you're hurting but I think we'd all do the same thing. Years ago, a lady got her electric chair stuck in a ladies room. She could do nothing so I pushed, pulled, kicked and tugged until freeing it, paying the price later. Julius was upset with me but I'd still do it again if I could. We all would. Anyway, I do hope you recover quickly from this act of kindness.

As long as your hip pain is improving, it may just take some time but I'm not thrilled that it was recalled. I guess it's the wait and see game.

Maria, Earth magnets are available online. They're also called rare earth magnets. One side is green, the other red. I found the ones I have only on this website Pain Relief & Vitality BioMagnet Kit. In fact, since both Julius and I lose them, I need more and will be ordering them myself.

Hope you both have a good day in this glorious Calif. weather.

Dale
Old 10-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Default re the magnets

Dale,
I was wondering if you also bought the book about using magnets and/or the complete kit or felt you didn't need all that?

Judy,
I'm hoping you're not feeling the repercussions of the w/c push too much today.

It is a beautiful day here.. wonderful weather for walking and outdoor activiities!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM

Another beautiful day. Yesterday i spent studying and only made it around the block with Buddy. Today is the last class of the program I started in June for Medical Coding and Billing. Now i'm not even sure i can work!!

My whole back does feel pretty miserable until an hour after i take percocet in the morning. so i am sitting waiting for it to kick in so i can get in the shower. I still use a shower chair too so i really need to get in it!

I was reading something and it reminded me that although i had 2 offending thoracic disks and they were removed, it took about 3 or 4 months before the pain left. I had the same darn pain after surgery that i had before. It just gradually disappeared. So i still have a good 2 more months of healing here.

I have to start researching what it feels like when your whole spine is pretty much fused. My whole back hurting when i get up might just be a life long thing. I'm not ready to replace the mattress yet!
Better go
Have a great day you two.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-09-2011, 06:59 PM

Maria,

The magnets come with a little pamphlet. No book necessary.

Judy,

Just a thought but maybe you'll heal just a little faster without overdoing But, something tells me you never really tried it that way!

Dale
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM

Default hip pain gone

It's amazing that the hip or pain over my left hip I had for at least 3 weeks went away when I started walking more! I'm thrilled not to have this pain and I figured it would go away with some time so thankfully I was right.

Now I"ve been walking every morning early for nearly an hour down by the beach and include an uphill incline or numerous stairs as well and then walking at least one more long walk in the afternoon with Lola (and several small walks w/Lola). Yesterday I added a little step exercise for 20 minutes and some 1lb hand weights for upper body.

I slept better last night and feel great this morning. My feet hurt a little so have to see if that wears off or if I have modify something since I don't want to exaccerbate the tendonitis in my feet as that will put me out of commission more than my back would.

Dale, thanks for the magnet advice.

Judy, it's amazing to me that you're recovering as well as you are in terms of pushing yourself so much from the beginning. It is good to hear that you are doing better and great that the ESI basically knocked out the leg pain for you or lessened it so much. Hopefully you're following a good progression with recovery and will continue to do so! I have to say if I were you I'd try hard to avoid things that might do your spine some definate harm vs. help so your recovery will continue to progress steadily.

Last edited by Maria; 10-10-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 AM

That is a lot of walking Maria. I wish i was there , but i will get there i hope. I just have been sleeping too much and miss enough of the day. I go to bed on time, not that late and just toss and turn and finally get to sleep . Today i did not get up intil 12:45. Much too much sleep, i guess my body needs it.

I picked up my operative report today. I had some loose screws which were removed a few levels of pseudoarthrosis at 2 levels and a fracture at a different level. so i had some revision fusion, laminectomy,microforaminotomy, facetectomy and cutting of the hardwear to put in an extension of the rod.
He did a lot of work.

I went to see my hip surgeon today. Everything with my new hip is good. the whole cup shifted to a different position do to the back fusion. so that is why it feels funny to walk. All my soft tissue is hurting do to inactivity and muscle weakness. I have not been able to really exercise for a year. I did do some hiking in the late spring until the foot surgery. hopefully i will be able to get to physical therapy soon.
Bedtime or a little past it.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Default re your spine surgery

Judy,
That seems like quite a lot of work. And to think you've had next to no recovery time it seems and are doing pretty good from what it sounds like in terms of doing better every week. Good going! Seems like that ESI was administered at quite an optimal time even if for leg pain vs. back pain/recovery!

Yes the walking is a fair amount. I've been walking each morning for near an hour by the beach and then several other walks w/Lola. I've also been doing 20 mins of step exercise plus use of upper body 1lb weights and then my evening walk with Lola has turned into quite a long one as well going at least an hour long if not longer. We are making it fairly briskly paced so that we both get something out of it (we both need to knock off a few pounds).

I do hope my feet will keep up wtih this pace as my back doesn't bother me at all and I'm actually sleeping much much better as I'm physically tired.

Interestingly enough I'm also quite energized from the increased activity. Glad to see this still can occur!

Hopefully as your body recovers Judy you will be able to increase your activities and get back to hiking. The cooler weather has been helpful to me in this as I seem to be affected by the heat in a somewhat negative manner re energy.

Have a great day now!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 PM

Judy,

If you hip cup shifted to a different, will it self correct or ?????

Yes, I agree, you body and your mind need the rest. You've been through so much both physically and emotionally. You're recovering from the physical surgery but the emotional stuff is still giving and I suspect, might even get worse. Though a lot of sleeping can also be a means of escaping and is part, probably is just that, as you overdo, you can't take too much more and you must recoup.

When all your surgeries are behind you and your divorce is ancient history, I suspect you'll feel much better and will resume much of your previous activity level. Give yourself a break and allow yourself to go through what you must. Acting like nothing is happening may work against you.

Give it all time. Dale
Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 AM

Dale the cup has shifted, so i must just get used to this new posture and walking. It should stay this way now do to the changes in my back posture. Is why it feels funny to stand and walk. I guess i will get used to it. My implant adjusted with it all , the ball is in the right place and that was a good thing according to my hip surgeon.
I will relate all of this to my spine surgeon when i see him in 2 weeks.
Dale , you are right as i think back , i really did not rest in the beginning. I remember going out with my realtor on week 2 looking at houses. I never should have been doing that. I don't know where my brains were during that time.
Trust me i do rest enough now. have been for a couple of weeks, i think. I guess you guys might know better from hearing about my days.
I need to take Buddy out and go to sleep
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Default re activity

Judy,
I think you were too active in the beginning and then got the ESI which seemed to have worked well for you tho if you're like me that's got a two fold edge because ESIs also the first week seem to "speed me up" or the steroidal effect makes me very edgy and I have difficulty sleeping, I'm way more active since I feel better physically and physiologically I'm sort of on an adrenaline high. The reduced pain from steroidal bathing is helpful with regard to activity level for me and sounds like it might have been for you as well. The good thing is you seem to be improving now on your own and also if you're resting more it's probably because your body needs it. Your emotions of course are going to be askew right now due to the situation w/Jeff. Sounds like you've been doing what you need to re seeing the divorce attorney, the shrink, your doctor and so forth.

Continue to take care~
Old 10-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Maria,
When do you sleep? I noticed some of your posts are in the wee hours of the morning!
Steffi, my German daughter in law to be, wants to go to the beach today. It is going to be our last really hot day, i assume for the summer season . I told her i needed to go and get my last tan of the season. My tans usually come from hiking every day. Now that i have a lovely tire around the middle, i say tan fat looks better than white fat.
Yesterday's walk was not at all comfortable. It takes me about 55 minutes to complete the route i am doing now, I need to measure it to see how pathetically slow i am . The first half is all up hill, then the return all down. With sleeping late i have not been able to do it in a while so i need to make it a daily thing again. I also need to find my IPOD so on the rough days i will have some distraction. It is all in the timing of the pain pills. Yesterday i timed it all wrong. I took a dose then immediately took off for a walk. It really needs at least an hour to get in my system and provide some relief. I was meeting some people from my class for dinner and i did not want to be falling asleep on them if it effected me that way .

Now that the 2 of you were discussing arthritic hands, mine are both hurting in the morning. I can handle it although yesterday my youngest asked me if i was going to have surgery on my fingers !!! I said no, and no.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Default re sleep

Hi Judy,
I'd love to go to the beach today but have my OSS appt. this morning so cannot go and didn't even get to take my walk this morning! Bummer! That was because my tummy was upset!

RE sleep.. I sleep much better now and earlier too (getting up much earlier) since walking daily. This morning however Lola was barking at 0300 so I was up early because of that and then my tum decided I better stay up!

Oh well.. gotta jump in the shower now so I can be ready in an hour and off to the doc's and hopefully I won't have to sit there too long as I probably need xrays since I've not seen him for a year and a half.

Keep up the walking.. sounds like it's helping you and it's definately helping me. Already noticing a slim down at least from the top up (just what I don't want to lose but oh well!) .. when it gets to my rear end/legs I'll be a happy camper!

later and have a good tantime!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Tan? Pish posh, I am white. This summer I didn't even bottle tan - don't know why since I look so much better. Julius loves the white, I hate it. I also avoid the sun as much as possible as I'm beginning to get pre-cancers due to my years of teenage ignorance. Had to get that initial sunburn so I could spend all day, everyday, at the beach- stupid, stupid, stupid I'm now paying the price. I think I'm way past envious of tannable people, I'm downright jealous. Though I love pinks and purples, oranges and browns love me - ich! Enough - But to tell you Judy to enjoy your last tan time - no way

I'm sure there is a reason why arthritis seems to hit us in the hands first but with this latest heat wave, not such a problem. I've been told I have arthritis in my back too, which is not surprising.

Glad you're finally getting the rest you need. It'll help you deal with )%$#^ (Jeff's new name)

Maria, sorry you're not feeling well. Why is it easier to be sick when it's cold? The heat adds more misery. Hope it's nothing!

Anyway, wish I could walk - I think it would pay off big time but it is what it is. L2/3 still acting up and tomorrow I spend the day with my 1 year old. She is just so cute

Dale
Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 PM

I came home from my trip to the airport this morning and lay back down. But i tried for 2 hours and probably slept for about 15 minutes. Now that it is afternoon and i really need to do a few errands, i am so tired, i bet i could fall asleep right now. But no meds or food in the house so i must go.
yesterday was great at the beach. Sure beat being here in 100 degree temps. We saw a few groups of dolphins frolicking , always fun and Steffi really enjoyed it. My son was a good sport for coming, then to an outlet mall on the way home. He is not a beach or mall person , but did a really good job of making the day enjoyable for all of us.

My back started giving out as I was taking an inferior drug for pain. Percocet definitely works best for me. My pain management doc gives me percocet and dilaudid. I had plenty left at the end of this month (a good sign) but i got a call that she had to fly out of the country for a death in the family. I needed to reschedule. I was told if i needed any meds they would transfer me to a medical assistant which i did. He told me oh those are prescriptions!! No kidding, he had no way of getting them for me ! I know my spine doc will take care of me if i need him to, and i will just really conserve.

I am going to wait for it to cool off a bit today to go for a walk, if i am still awake.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 PM

Default the beach here

Was still hot yesterday but not as bad as the day before. I conserved my energy after my doc's appt. and a quick trip to the grocery store on the way home and watched a few movies with the cats/dog. Then took a long walk last evening with Lola downtown and along the shoreline and over to a friend's for a late dinner on the terrace overlooking the beach. It was a beautiful evening and cool enough to sit out and enjoy the still nearly full moon over the beach~ our dogs all hung out together on the terrace (4) and a good time was had by all.

I have been used to not eating a real meal at dinnertime but rather a salad or just some veggies and juice so my stomach was kind of upset this a.m. Not nauseated just felt crampy. I still took my hour long walk this morning and it was GREAT! Just really love walking in the a.m. as it seems to give me a boost all day and I do get tired enough to sleep well even tho it may not seem like it I'm definately getting good sleep as I feel rested.

In fact today I had to go out to do laundry, wash Lola again as she's been an itch monster, wash my SUV, and then come home and will walk Lo again for nearly an hour this evening.

Glad you, Steffi and your son had a good time at the beach and outlet Mall Judy. I am not much of a mall person anymore either tho if I start looking I can "force" myself except for now my feet start hurting if I'm on them too long shopping whereas it used to be my back.

Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight Judy and are able to hold it together pain wise and/or get what you need from your spine doc if necessary! take care and sleep well tonight!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 PM

Judy,

After following you since your surgery, when you had so much, too much, energy and overdid everyday to now, when you are so tired, I suspect your fatigue is coming from your emotional state and perhaps mixed with meds.

Have you mentioned this to your therapist? You've had more than your fair share of surgeries but you've never been through the betrayal of the one person who is supposed to always have your back.

Either way, I'm glad you're listening to your body but continue your therapy until (*&%$ no longer matters. You'll always be tied together with your children but until he starts caring, that won't be an issue!

Rest easy Judy, we've got your back - Dale
Old 10-15-2011, 08:58 PM

Almost 2pm and i am still in bed. I really need to get up today as we have no food in the house. I kept waking up since 6, but just kept falling back asleep. All i did yesterday after bringing Steffi to the airport is go for a walk and pick up my meds from the pharmacy. Walking is still so weirdly uncomfortable. i hope it gets better or i am going to have a long adjustment period. Or maybe go crazy.

As i think this through, i am really at about week 8 and really need to give the recovery another 2months to see if walking is normal then.
I am still waking up with my back really hurting all over, mostly the middle part. Something on the left side is really hurting today. I can't figure that one out.

WE really need food in the house so that will be my goal after i go for a walk today. I have no choice.

Thank you Dale for your sweet words.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-16-2011, 12:39 AM

Default re tired .. food

I personallyt think you are beat! You took the time to go with Steffi (sp) to the beach and an outlet mall when you probably needed food then! And your kids could probably help you but I know they must have a life too and you don't want to impose upon them! What about setting yourself up with Von's delivery service for now or something like that for when you're just too tired to go.

Really Judy everytime you write about what you're able to do post op all the stuff you had done I'm nearly shocked! So the fact that you need to rest from having a visitor and I bet you did knock yourself out to be hospitable~ well I can surely imagine being super tired after that!

So anyway.. can you shop online?? Maybe that'd be a good thing if you can't get one of your kids to shop for you or perhaps with you to at last help out BIG TIME with getting the stuff and putting it away.

You need to realize your limitations and work within them! That being said..I do hope you're going to get super energized tomorrow esp.if you slept enough today!!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:32 AM

I know part of this is the medications, especially percocet. I don't take it all day, just once or twice because it does make me tired.

I had a phone call from a friend today that i have known since we were pregnant with our first boys, for over 26 years. We met for lunch and a few drinks , well at 3pm. Now i am exhausted from the alcohol. I never made it to the store and tomorrow i have a new class starting on medical collections. it does not start until 4pm so i do not have to rush out of bed like i have been doing. I hopefully will get to the store later tonight or tomorrow late morning. so no walk today.
Now i need to get up at a decent time tomorrow. So i can get something like a walk done and then shopping if i haven't gone yet! Oh life keeps demanding me to go out. The kids are great about putting all the groceries away. and hauling them all in, i will never go to the store if no one is home to haul everything in.
Time to start drinking a lot of water ,
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Judy,

How nice to reconnect with someone from your past. I love that!

As far as shopping goes, I'd listen to Maria and do whatever you can online. Let you fingers do the walking

And Judy, another class? More sitting time? But then again, you are two months out so hopefully, it will be a little easier but in my opinion, still too much.

Please, go easy on yourself, Dale
Old 10-18-2011, 04:48 AM

I was good when i went to Trader Joe's and for the first time in my life asked for help out to my car. I usually have one of my kids with me , but was alone on Sunday.
This class is only 4 hours instead of 7. Our instructor let us out early and always gives a get up and walk around break. He knows some of my history and would always let me stand up if i need to . but the chairs were uncomfortable. I am hoping to remember to bring a pillow for next week. It is always the left side of my back that is least comfortable, i should say lately. I also have some kind of pain in mid right side , but usually only when I yawn. Ok enough of trying to explain pain in my back!
How about my legs, only kidding.
tomorrow is my volunteer night and let me tell you last week me and my back were tired. I think it would definitely not be possible for me to do this full time. One day is enough. I think i waited long enough to go back.

judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 AM

Default long walk

Let's see how this one plays out.. I walked from the bank appt. I had today in Belmont Shore along the bikepath home to downtown LB today. I haven't tried that in many a year. Did it just fine today tho am wondering how I'll feel tomorrow?! Hope Ok!!

Judy, I've not attempted scheduling myself for volunteer hours altho I'd like to. I'm amazed that you're doing well enough to do that and a class of 7 hours ..wow.. I can honestly say that I'm sure unless lying down there's no way I can manage that let alone 4 hours of straight sitting!!! Dang!!!

you go girl~ tho take it easy on yourself when you remember!
Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 AM

Maria how are you feeling after such a long walk the other day? Hopefully everything is ok.
I am just tired as i didn't get home until 2am again after volunteering at my endocrinologists office. Then i had a doc apt at 10:30 so i had to get up. I didn;t take my dose of percocet as it always makes me tired in an hour. so i had to go out to the appointment pretty miserable.
My endocrinologist thinks i am not replacing enough cortisol. So she doubled it. Now more weight gain problems. I will see if all the aches and pains go away in a few days. if i don't feel any different i will not continue with the higher dose of steroids. I can't wait to see.
My class now only has 3 weeks left and it is the 4 hour class only. Once a week. I am trying to stop myself from a volunteer position at a local hospital with the kids. It sounds like so much fun. I love kids. I know i should not do it though.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-20-2011, 12:29 PM

Default re my walk

Hi Judy,
I was fine! I could hardly believe it as it was a good haul and I had even stopped and was sclhepping a few groceries and a light backpack with paperwork from the bank!

It's been very foggy in the a.m.s however so I haven't been walking in the morning and saved my long walk for last night thru downtown and down by the marina here and it was a beautiful evening walk!! Miss Lola is with her daddy so she's not being dragged along and the walk goes quite a bit quicker with just me! I think it was actually about an hour longer with all the stop n sniff/pee stops re Lo!!

Hope the additional cortisol with help with your aches and pains tho I get what you're saying re the potential wt. gain. I'm trying to slough off a few added lbs here too. Thankfully the walking is making a diff re my shape tho I've only lost 3 lbs. So slow to go off and so quick to go on!! Not fair!!

Re the volunteering.. do what you reasonably can for now. Add more on later if you think you're able. No reason to stress your bod out more than necessary at least for now so give yourself more time to heal ~ that would be my advice for what it's worth!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Judy,

I'm from the school of listen to your body. With school, and still only 2 months post op, you should be kinder to yourself.

Without meds, you are in pain. For me, the guideline isn't how I feel with meds, though they allow me to do what I must, it's more how I feel without them. Your body needs more time without the 2am getting home. If pushing yourself contributed to your healing, then by all means, push, but from where I sit, it seems to slow it down so my vote - keep it simple.

Maria, wish I could walk - my leg won't have too much of anything. L2/3 doesn't like me very much right now and with other things going on in my life, I feel a little depression coming on. I think walking would help, it helps clear my mind but it is what it is.

Dale
Old 10-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Default re walking

Dale,
I'm sorry to read that you're not able to walk much due to the leg issues/L2-3 and I too seem to clear my head this way as well. Additionally I sleep so much better when I walk and my back hurts less it seems if I do walk regularly.

I must admit I'd love it if my feet would stop giving me trouble tho from where I stand and the probs my flat footed family had (particularly my Mom) I foresee more rather than less probs in the future. So for now since it is what it is~ I'll make the most of what I can do while I can do it!

Right now my back is saying ... get up off your rear end RIGHT NOW!!! Oh yea.. I still find sitting to be the most troublesome activity it seems next to heavier labor/lifting and such!

Be well you two and have a good day
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM

Dale i am sorry you cannot walk for exercise. Do you use a cane for regular shopping etc.? I'm also sorry L2-3 is acting up. Are you going to get that checked out?
I also judge pain levels and functioning off pain meds. I did yesterday and was pretty miserable. At least i remember saying that to my doctor yesterday morning. I knew if i took anything after getting only a little sleep, i would be falling asleep driving. also without the cortisol wake up call at 8am when it is at its highest, it makes me sleepy. I'll see after a few days if i can get up in the morning again. right now if i have no where to be (which is usually the case) i am still in bed at noon or even up until 2pm. I waste the whole day. So i do rest.

Maria , i'm glad the walk did you no harm. You have such a great environment to walk in. i love walking near the ocean. I should say i would love it. Here it is all up or down hill. I'm not liking the up hill anymore, i just thought it was OK i was wrong. The down hill is still OK though. On pain meds.

Thanks both of you for being the voice of common sense and reason. I will not add anything to my schedule except trying to get my daughter to school. she is really falling way behind and it is all emotional. The husband actually came through after a lecture email from me and is going to the school tomorrow to start the evaluation process for Becka. She is on a home school type of program and just is not doing her work. She is supposed to report to the school twice a week with work done and it is like pulling teeth to get her to go. I am failing . Makes me cry every time she misses. Then she sees me cry and she starts crying.
I asked jeff if i could come along with him tomorrow, have not heard back.

judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Default re pain med

Judy,
I take mine once daily now and am on same dose x10 years. Difference is I take almost nothing else now meaning no Neurontin after 12 years of this and nearly no fioricet for migraines as they're much better now as well and really that's it. I don't think I'd function at all w/o the pain medication so I have to say that this is the best I've done in many years now and I attribute that to the autofusion of L5S1.

I do love to walk up hills and down is Ok tho my feet bother me more doing this. So here I have to walk further and go up stairs and there are plenty of those by the beach tho there are many places I like to walk in SD and it's far more hilly or not level terrain. The air is much much clearer there which is a great benefit I think vs. LA county.

Glad to hear your hub is going to help out re Becka. I'm sorry to hear she's not doing her home work or work at home. I don't think I would have worked out well at all in less structured env. than school altho I remember Becka has reasons for home schooling and you are a teacher so I'm sure that makes a big diff re home schooling.

Hope things work out with getting J to attend w/you. Good luck there and take care of yourself as we always say!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 PM

I went on my most comfortable walk early last evening with Buddy. He still has to pee everywhere and sniff and pee and on we go. Definitely more exercise value when he stays home. but it is hard to deny that cute little face.
I am up early (although sure i will go back to sleep after the percocet kicks in) i feel like my whole back is on fire. I guess that is all nerve pain and i should take neurontin. Right now my kitty is blocking that and giving himself a bath. Pets are wonderful though, right?
It may just be my left side which is the uncomfortable side in school leaning against those hard chairs. I must remember to bring a pillow on Sunday. I was up every hour or so all night , well it is still night according to me. The left side is still uncomfortable leaning against my pillow. It is in the thoracic area which is scary as that pain was fixed. I know this last surgery a lot of work was done up there starting at T7-8 which had not fused, so i will not panic yet. Soon though.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 PM

Default re pain

Judy,
Like Dale says.. listen to your body. Back when I was in graduate nursing school I had to semi recline in a bean bag chair because I couldn't sit long w/o seriously bad repercussions. In Grad. Statistics class I laid across a table for class. I got thru the clinical part fine because that was on my feet but the classes I had to make myself comfortable in order to get thru them.

Do what you have to do to get thru tho don't force your body to be in a position too long that compromises your long term outcome or don't overdo to try to reach a goal faster. At least that has been my experience.

re our animals.. oh yes they are wonderful little loving distractions that make my life quite happy. Right now my brood is with dh in SD county. I'll be seeing them shortly tho not soon enough! Have to admit however walking w/o Lola sure is much quicker than with! I don't have to stop to sniff as much tho sometimes I have to stop to pee!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:56 PM

Well Lucy can't walk too much anymore so I don't feel as guilty for her but I do for myself. My grandkids love going for walks but I must keep them short, maybe just down the block to see the horses.

Judy, on one post you say how much you're doing with classes and volunteering, etc. Then you say how much pain you are still experiencing. I know these classes are important so please remember to bring whatever you need for your comfort and for now, limit your other activities to those necessary. Pain killers give us a false sense of well being. Pushing yourself can backfire if you're not careful. So please do take care not to overdo.

You're also dealing with a lot of emotional pain, not just from Jeff but with your daughter. Life is hard right now but it will get better.

Personal note - Youngest son had his first professional flight yesterday. He is living his dream and we're thrilled for him. Even with all the negative around us, life does have its rewards

Dale
Old 10-21-2011, 06:16 PM

that was funny Maria about having to stop to pee. On a long walk like yours i would too.
I get confused on what is too much , i know i was really stupid in the beginning then kind of forced to be stupider when jeff left at 2 weeks out. I had the good feelings from the steroids , and the injections. ( I always have to get 100mg stress dose at the same time)
Now just going back to Dr Friedman's one night a week, i don;t get there until 7pm , i do leave to late, i hope things will slow down. The doctor doesn't , but i would like to get out of there closer to 11 not 1.
Class is only 4 hours now. He actually let us go at 7:30 instead of 8 and gives us a long break in the middle. So that is my week except the normal stuff of keeping up a house with 4 big kids in it. They do all the carrying and some shopping with me. and i do need some distraction. I love going to the clinic and talking to people from all over the country and world on occasion.
But i won't add any more. I promise myself and you guys who really do care. I can't do anything much about all the time i really blew it. I do rest when my back starts feeling tired or sore, i head up to my bedroom.

Now to get myself out of hot water!!!! Maria wasn't that crazy going to class and having to lay on the table????
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-21-2011, 11:55 PM

Default replies

Dale,
Sorry for lack of memory.. is your son a pilot?? how exciting!!! Yes there are so many good things in life~

Judy,
re lying down.. no that was ok back then. Was necessary. I paid to be in an MSN program for my nursing degree and Family Nurse Practitioner and by hook or by crook I was gonna get it!!! Once I decided what I wanted .. I went for it however I had to get it!!!

Admitting one's limitations and working within them while trying to progress is not at all embarrassing. I knew I wanted something badly (my MSN/masters in nursing) and I was not going to let my screwed up back stop me from getting it but nor was I going to make myself feel so bad I'd be back in bed for weeks!!!))!!!!!

The way I look at is I'm doing my part and as long as there are ways to do it that don't make me feel physically worse then I'm gonna go for it~ like anyone else who wants to reach their goal.

I completed my Family Nurse Practitioner program in '87 and took the exams in '89 for FNP. I had to lie down in the classroom for several hours for 2 days tho I was 1 of 8 that passed this exam out of 23.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:48 PM

Maria,

A lot of nurses end up with back problems but how many start out that way? I am also assuming with disability laws, you were accommodated and fortunately for the school, rather easily. What baffles me is that you got a job!

Yes, my son spent several years and a lot of my money learning how to fly and getting his pilot's license and three others before getting his first professional job. He's wanted this since the 5th grade - he's 31! How many people are actually living their dream? Now that I can fly free, ahhhh, don't think I'll be taking too much advantage of that particular perk. I hate flying.

Oh well, Dale
Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 AM

That is so cool Dale. One of the reasons my son joined the army. Personally i would have joined the air force if i wanted to fly and was going military.
Congrats to your son, now that mine is looking at the same journey as your son's I know how expensive that is.
I am also surprised that you got a job as well Maria
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Default fly for free

Dale,
I'd love that as I do like to fly just gets expensive w/3 seats to go very far. One seat is ok for shorter distances tho I can think of many places I'd love to go!!! Great that your son pursued his dream!

RE my ability to get a job as an NP (nurse practitioner) I was an RN for a number of years before getting my MSN so I had experience and I had my first and 2nd back surgery while I was an NP actually. Prior to my 2nd back surgery my back problems were episodic in nature and in the beginning my back only went out once/twice a year. After my 2nd spine surgery in '92 my probs became chronic however prior to my back surgeries it was sitting mostly that brought about my severe back bouts hence the non sitting in MSN program. Lifting heavy objects/patients was out as well so no staff nursing jobs except one I held working in a preemie nursery for a number of years while in my NP program.

I guess I was fortunate to have experience, the degree, and could also speak Spanish so put that altogether and I was marketable. I have to add that Nurse Practitioners in most ambulatory care centers see patients so it's not the same type of work involving lifting and such. Also my greatest problem with my back has mostly always had something to do with sitting of which one does very little when seeing patients all day in a high volume clinic (worked OB-GYN for 7 years as well as Family Practice). The last job I had required some sitting (telephone triage) however I had a modified work station for that and stood most of the time.

I worked 18 years more after my initial back injury. And yes there are many nurses with back injuries for various reasons tho I tend to think understaffing is the biggest reason nurses hurt their back and repetitve motion (lifting heavy/people/objects). sometimes it's not even lifting it's just the helping to pull someone up in bed or turning them or basically general fatigue. Probably ergonomics gets in there somewhere as well and some predisposition to such injuries given stuctural makeup of individual. Ho humm I probably should have done something else for a career tho I did really love nursing (the old saying hindsight is 20/20 applies here).

Really I'd still like to be working in some capacity if I could be "realiable." Even with volunteering I've hesitated in terms of committment. So Judy I think it's great that you're able to do what you do even one day/week tho I'd be careful now so that you might be able to work in the future should your back allow for this and hopefully it will.

Last edited by Maria; 10-23-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 AM

I do feel i was so helped by this doctor that i like to volunteer there and they surely do need me. Well the patients don't know i am saving them from being there until the wee hours of the morning. i was one of those patients who was falling asleep in the waiting room while the one doc caught up with everyone's paperwork after he drew blood.
It also feels like i am working and i like that feeling. I am also fortunate that they just have to put up with all my surgeries and recoveries before i go back each time. They do seem to be happy to see me.
Tomorrow morning will be my test of how many aches and pains were caused by lack of cortisol in the am. I can't take pain meds when i get up because i have to go to a meeting at Becka's school at 9am. If i took them i would fall back asleep for sure. I know the cortisol has given me more energy in the latter part of the day. I'll soon see if the aches and pains are improved too. Can;t wait.

I did remember to bring a pillow to class tonight. He gave us a break after 2 hours and then only kept us 45 minutes after that.
I started Christmas shopping last night too!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-24-2011, 05:42 PM

Just for the telling - I buy holiday gifts all year long. When I see something someone would like, I buy it on the spot. I am usually done and wrapped by October. I'm also assured I'm buying something I truly believe the receiver will like and not something I had to buy because I was running out of time.

The only last minute gifts are for the kids - their sizes and desires change too fast. Then once they reach teen-age years they want cash!

Try it - it takes so much pressure out of the holiday season which makes it more enjoyable. The big negative, you miss the sales which is offset by speading your spending out over a years time.

Now if I could just remember where I put those gifts
Old 10-25-2011, 01:29 AM

That is a great plan and my new one. I always feel i have to get through the Sept . birthdays (3 in 12 days) and then start christmas shopping. One less person to buy for this year. The kids are all difficult they must tell me exactly what they want and from where. Actually my 23 year old will tell me she does not need or want anything. I tell her she will end up with a bunch of stuff she does not like, because i must put things under the tree!
She just gave me her birthday money back after holding the check for 3 weeks so i cant even give her money unless i found it on a tree!!
My older son also said he does not want anything from me , just add up all i have done for him and count that as his present.
they are sweet kids, the youngest would just say yay spend their money on me.

I was freezing in class last night, so much money is being wasted at that school on the air . then it gets cool when the sun goes down, next week a pillow and a jacket. the pillow did the trick for my back.
I still wake up feeling like my whole back is on fire even with the extra cortisol. I still need to figure out if it is helping enough to stay on it.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM

Default how's your back

Judy,
Are you feeling any better today from the additional cortisol? I wonder if all that cold air and sitting put you into some serious back spasming night before last (Sunday)? Hopefully if so things are calmed down a bit or will be soon.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM

Judy,

I'm more conservative than others on this forum. The burning you feel tells me something is still going on. I tend to baby my pain instead of pushing through it unless I know for certain, pushing won't make it worse.

You have pushed since the day you got home from the hospital. 2 months out and you need serious meds to get through the day. I would fear I was setting myself up for a life cycle. I have absolutely no medical expertise but when my body talks, I try to hear what it is saying.

Taking whatever meds necessary to ease your pain helps us all get through the days but upping your meds because you're pushing, you simply don't know of possible negative affects. I know my view is obviously not shared by all and we all have to decide for ourselves how we're going to conduct our own lives but....

Just my 2 cents - Dale
Old 10-25-2011, 11:57 PM

Default pretty much

I share Dale's viewpoint in terms of not giving one's self adequate time to heal post op. Then again there are times you say you feel better Judy and are making improvement so I tend to believe you however I do think you've pushed yourself in some activities a bit much (like sitting for classes).

I would have never scheduled any classes until I saw how I responded to surgery and with an adequate period of healing. Then again it seems you've been thru spine surgeries a number of times and sort of plan based on past experience?

I do hope you will heal and recover well however I do have to wonder if you just don't push yourself too much to actually give yourself adequate recovery time.

I guess time will tell~ let's hope for the best! BTW I didn't have a fusion so really can't address pain levels post this type of surgery however I took no actual pain meds post my 2 discectomies (even tho 2nd one had horrific outcome) past the one week post op mark.

So in essence even tho I had worse pain post my '92 surgery it wasn't until 2001 I actually got any "pain" medication of any sort!! talk about a long wait!!! I don't count the elavil or Neurontin (for neuroapathies).
Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 AM

Hi Well i already wrote out a post that did not go through. I saw my spine surgeon today. I found out i am his patient that has the most metal in her or him. Wow.
About not being comfortable standing up, and a few other aches he said it has only been 2 months and I need time to heal and for things to adjust. So still no therapy or exercise besides walking .
The cortisol is do to my pituitary problem which effects every other endocrine gland. Also do to my adrenal glands not producing it any more, i was on a low replacement dose to try to get my adrenals to come back to life. I waited 2 years now or maybe even longer. Now it is determined with the added stress of you know who leaving and more surgery , i needed to up the dose. If too low or too high it causes all kinds of body aches. So nothing to do with overdoing it.
My classes , I registered for in May with no hint of surgery in the air.!!!
I don't know if i should have stopped in the middle of the program or not, but glad for the distraction.

I know i did not rest at all after the first week and a half, i was really bad!! I will never do that one again , that's for sure.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-26-2011, 11:33 AM

Default re 2 month mark

Judy,
You've been the most active person I think I've read about on a spine forum post your most recent fusion! I still think the ESI at the point you got it probably helped that along even tho it was for your leg! So maybe it actually helped you overall as it allowed you to be up and active (maybe too active maybe not).

Hopefully you won't have to have more spine surgery (re never doing that again)!

I understood why you're taking the cortisol. You had mentioned the increased dose might make you feel better so was just inquiring as to if it made a difference there. Was hoping perhaps it had~

Re the classes I think you could have gotten your $ back re the back surgery being advised at that time or taken the classes when offered again tho I do recall you mentioned the possibility of a job opening that you were considering applying for so wanting to try and make that deadline. I'm amazed you got thru those long hours of sitting when you were doing the 7 hours tho you made it so guess you could do it! Are you nearly done with the classes? They do seem to have been a good distraction for you during this time.

Holidays are on the way so do be careful to not overdo with shopping and cooking long hours! At least for me I can bring on a good back ache by seriously emerging myself into either activity (long hours standing in the kitchen and probably longer hours running around shopping)... I don't think I'll do either this year actually as we've been invited to my relatives for TG and I'm not shopping this year unless online!

Ok seems like your doctor thought you were progressing pretty normally for the period of time post surgery so I'm off your case about resting and leaving it up to you as I'm sure you'll rest as much as you feel you need to or can stand! Hope your walks are continuing. Mine are getting better, longer, faster and I'm much more energetic overall!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Hi Maria,
Well my walks are sporadic as i stay in bed usually until at least 1pm. then if there is one or 2 errands to do, the light is gone. Then 2 days per week i have to leave so it only leaves me 5 to work with. I wish i could make it every day or take one day off. That will only happen if i get up early and get going.

I only stand in the kitchen as long as it is as comfortable as it gets, then i go and sit down. lately i call one of the kids in there to help me. I'm really hoping they will learn how to cook a few things. Not that i am a great cook, but.... I do want the boys to be able to fend for themselves or help out when they are married.

Last year i did a ton of Christmas shopping on line, this year i will be buying less all around so it will be easier. I hope. I've already started shopping though. i went the mall when it was only opened for another hour and a half so i would't over do and i can't carry much anyway.

judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM

Default re my walks

Judy,
I've been so tired from my walks that I end up falling asleep by 8p.m. or earlier! So I now get up at 4a.m. or earlier!! Wow.. I'm on the cats schedule now ~ they'll be so pleased!

Re malls..I used to be able to shop until I dropped even if it meant getting a backache along the way I'd sit a while and keep going. Now that my feet keep me from that much shopping I find I have nearly any interest to go to a mall. Also can't stand to get into a crowded mall so generally if I go it's during the week and usually once/twice a year if that.

Since my Dad is gone I haven't done any Christmas shopping this year. I'll send a check to my brother for his daughter and either he can pick out something for her ahead of time that he knows she wants or she can just buy what she wants (she's 14 now). I did get my husband a painting for one of his rooms so hopefully he'll like that. Was thinking to get us both new bikes so we could ride the trails near his house tho we'll see how that goes as he might poo poo the idea since we have a few older bikes that are still ridable).

I'd like to get a townie with some speeds as the regular bike (mountain bike) is just not built comfortably enough for me tho it might just be that I can't really ride much still without bringing on neuropathies and pain which is what seems to happen. I think walking is the safest activity I can do regularly without repercussions.

Hope you're feeling better and doing well going into the holiday season. I guess it might be a bit tough on you this year with all that's happened so keep yourself healthy and happy as best you're able and hopefully we'll have another warm weather Christmas! (I love 80 degree sunny winter weather)!

Dale hope you're doing Ok too pain wise and Mark hope your pain level is tolerable and/or under control most of the time~
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM

As a New York girl, I hope we get snow for Xmas - fat chance!

My back is doing ~ ok. Could be better but I'm very concerned about what is coming next week. Julius has a convention in Las Vegas. We're leaving Monday and home on Thursday. I love to sit at the tables all day but...
Then we leave for La Jolla on Friday -Sunday for a writer's conference with classes all day for all three days. It usually takes a few days to get over Las Vegas which I won't have this year. And now sitting all day at the conference has me worried. I hope I don't push myself past a point of no return.

Judy, a few years ago we remodeled our kitchen. I now have a place to sit at the island where I do most of my prep work. It makes all the difference in cooking. You can actually buy a small mobile butcher block table that you can move out of the way when not in use.

Maria, I've seen incline bikes ( if that's the right description) on the streets a lot more often. Much easier on the back but I do think they're a bit more expensive.

Hate the winds - they hate me too, Dale
Old 10-27-2011, 09:15 PM

Smile re warm winter

Dale,
I'm originally from New England however my body prefers warm weather and sunshine and so do I! I find I'm emotionally happier in warm sunny weather tho not hot.. and yes these Santa Ana winds bother me too except they used to really get to my eyes badly and I had the lacrimal glands cauterized which was a big big help. I don't suffer much from allergies however (I did at for a while tho have gotten better it seems) so I think that's why I'm doing ok with the winds so far. Going out for a long wonderful walk a bit early as I have a birthday party to go to this evening for a friend that's turning 60!

The back to back trips might upset my back as well particularly if I had to sit for any length of time at either one and it does sound like the writer's conference you would definately need to? That sounds like a wonderful endeavor however and I do hope that you'll not suffer much pain and you are able to do both trips without "seriously overdoing."

Ok just checking in again before I'm out the door for my earlier than usual walk. Today has been a day with so many of my friends calling early (starting at 0730) to see if I want to get together today and I have had errands and the birthday party to go to and don't want to move my walk off the list so I asked my various friends if they wanted to walk with me but all have said I've gotten "too fast" for them and go too far!

LOL.. me!!!! That's a crack up!!! oh well seems like all we getting on senior boomer types have some kind of injury be it knees, backs, hips.. whatever!

take care all and hope everything goes as well for us all
Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 PM

I am a New England girl as well, but there is nothing like a White Christmas. I do think i prefer the sunshine as well. When i lived in Pine Mountain Ca (above Frazier Park) it was the best. the kids were little, the snow plentiful as well as the sunshine.
I know you two have mentioned the wind, none here in Sierra Madre so far. I did experience some wild wind and really cold temps the other night when my friend wanted to show me some new so cal mountain area he discovered. It was so unbelievably cold with the wind.

Dale i wish you the best of luck on your upcoming trips. Try to not be like me! Bring plenty of meds. Have fun too.

My kitchen is way too small for any type of Island, i sometimes sit at the kitchen table and do the prep work, sometimes i am in the kitchen with the rolling desk chair! It is a little to short, but it works if i am not having a good time.

Maria, i am so glad your feet and everything else is holding up from all the walking you are doing. Good for you, but don't overdo it now.
I know what you mean, i have a knee problem and feet problems too. I will just get a really bad pain in my foot in various places every day.

I am going back to my therapist today. It may take the whole time just filling him in on my life and surgery in the last 2 years, but i really need to know how to deal with my daughter.
She now says she will go to school on Monday and is almost done with an assignment book to turn in. I'll be so happy if she goes.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Do I wish I could walk too fast or too far. Julius was always able to tell how I felt by the speed in which I walked. But as of now, I haven't walked for weeks. For whatever reason, yesterday was a particularly bad day - my left leg, especially my ankle burned all day with no let up. As I now must finish editing my book by next week, meds were out of the question but plain old aspirin helped a little. As for the conference, I plan on wearing my brace. I usually don't like depending on it but I can paint all day when I wear it so I will give that a try.

Judy, glad you're seeing your therapist. You really need someone on your side. With your divorce, and we haven't heard any updates about attorney's etc., and your surgery and your classes and your financial worries, the biggest one of all is your daughter. Perhaps the two of you can go to therapy together because she sounds like she's having a very hard time. The teen years are very difficult and she has so much more to deal with. If adults have a hard time dealing with life, imagine what she must be going through. It really sounds as if she's lost and needs direction back in her life. How to get there ????? which is why I think therapy will benefit her too.

If you want to put things into perspective, a dear friend lost her only son 2 weeks ago. Life has stopped for her, we're just having difficulty maneuvering through it.

Dale
Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 PM

Default my walking

Is really the highpoint of my life and I'm actually feeling quite good emotionally and physically. Last night however I attended a birthday party for a friend turning 60. It was mostly her family and I was one of the few unrelated guests so that was really nice of them to invite me. There was live music and really it was so nice as there were mulitple generations there with her Dad (she has 2 other sisters and 3 brothers), his kids, his kids' kids and so forth!

Ok so to cut a longish story short I had taken the little local ocean side bus there as it's not far from apt. tho far enough to walk quickly with my feet would have rendered me somewhat sweaty and tired so I stayed awhile, had a great time chatting and lightweight dancing to the great music tribute to S's era and then decided I needed to leave because I had been up since 4a.m. and wanted to leave at an hour still good for awaiting the bus safely.

So I left about 8:45p.m. and instead of waiting at a bus stop on Ocean Blvd (straight shot home pretty much) I decided to fast foot it home. Now something happens to my right foot when I walk too much and too fast.. it really has a prob with the toes mashing into one another (reason I had surgery on left foot) and some particular toes are involved but also the foot feels like clod foot with pain and burning! I HATE THIS!!!!!!

I practically had to limp the last few blocks home as that right foot needs the same surgery as the left foot had. Problem is my Podiatrist died (age 47/brain tumor) and I've found no one that would even do the same surgery he did esp. in the office (I have hammertoes on all toes/right foot and need a bunionectomy) .

This right foot just drives me crazy when it ats up from "too much activitiy."

So yes I can walk fast and fairly far at least once/day but when this stuff happens to the right foot ... ohh... it's just like that sharp pain you might feel in your upper back Judy or others or that burning that might stop you from moving Dale.. it just "stops me nearly dead in my tracks"....

GRRRR!!! I hate that my back is good and one foot is telling me "no!!!!!!!"

Oh well. This is nothing in comparison to losing one's child however or having serious health probs so while I complain believe me ladies I realize there are things far worse and definately much more important to deal with!

Dale, just hoping you have a great time and things actually go better for you than you imagine they might. I would LOVE to attend a writers conference. Someday I will.

Judy, good for you re going to your therapist to see how to deal with or best help your daughter. I don't have kids as you and Dale both know however I do have a stepson and those teenage years can be quite challenging. Then again I had only to think of my own to realize there is much that goes unsaid tho if one is fortunate there are actions that might reveal quite a bit about how the teen is feeling. At least that seems better to me than one covers their feelings revealing very little but is hurting quite a bit.

Teen years can be downright hard! I know from my own personal experience (we moved 4 times while I was in high school). Good luck!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:20 AM

It was great seeing my therapist, it has been about 2 years since i last saw him. He wants to see Becka. I'm glad he works with adolescents. I think i might be able to get her to go. I told her she can sit there and say nothing if she wants, i also told her he can't tell me anything she says. I think i got a maybe out of her. I'll call Monday to make her an appointment. she has still been working on her math, so i think it will be a go for school for Monday. i sure hope.

My daughter had been helping me look for something in my room. I should call it her room as all her stuff is in here all over the place. Just this morning i told her we really have to clean it up. I was looking for a certain envelope today and tripped, and fell hard. I have some pain on the side of my left breast and under and am wondering if i broke a rib . I went down really hard on my right knee and have been icing that. It feels ok right now, i am going to go for a walk and figure the worst will come in the morning. I'm not really worried about my knee just the possible rib injury. And of course any damage to my spine!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 AM

the discomfort goes to my left side of my back too , probably a rib, nothing they can do . I did come to my senses and not go for a walk though.

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 AM

Default your fall

Judy,
I hope you didn't break a rib and hope your knee will feel Ok tomorrow. Please update tomm! Glad you "came to your senses" and didn't take a walk!

Lately I've been a bit off balance it seems or maybe I'm moving too suddenly tho I've almost fallen a number of times at home only to reach out and break/stop the fall by grabbing something really close by. This has to be the only good thing about a small apt. and esp. a small apt. with carpet!

I have a little step thing next to my bed so I can climb on it and get on the bed easily. I guess I moved it when vacumning and didn't put it back close enough to the bed so I was stepping on it to get on the bed and missed and got my foot caught between the step and the bed frame and fell but caught myself on the bed or that would have been a weird "fall" because of how my foot caught. That's the first time I've done that! Klutz!!!!

Today I didn't walk quite as far either. Figured I wouldn't rest entirely tho just somewhat.

Hope you're OK tonight and tomorrow Judy and you won't rib/back pain (and not much knee pain either.. be careful!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 PM

Ouch Judy,

Falling always scares me but I'm usually pretty careful. The what-ifs can be frightening. I so hope you just bruised everything with no real damage. I am also so glad you passed on your walk- common sense goes a long way.

Through my own common sense I decided to rest these last two days before leaving - yeah, right. My d-i-l's car broke down yesterday and I had to rescue her with my two grandkids, ages 1&5. Spent the entire day with them, which I love, but no rest for the weary. Then, since our youngest is in town, the oldest came over with his brew for a mini party. I can't stand up straight today and with things to do before we leave, I can't stay in my chair all day either. If my parent's didn't live in Las Vegas, I'd stay home!

Maria, kind of had a private laugh at your expense. You moved your step but thinking it was still there, stepped wrong. I flashed on one of my kids as a toddler, backing up to a chair he thought was there, then sitting on the floor instead. Already very close to the ground, he didn't get hurt but the look on his face was absolutely hysterical.

Dale
Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 AM

I can just see the little one backing up to nothing. Good thing they are so close to the ground.
Well my knee hurts a bit, it was already bothering me , but now on down the stairs and some downhill from my walk today there is a clicking noise. My left side feels the same as yesterday. There is a spot that i can touch that really hurts. But really nothing to do, i've broken quite a few ribs in the last 10 years or so.
I made it through class which was thankfully pretty short tonight . dummy me remembered the jacket , but forgot my pillow. It wasn't that cold tonight so i never even put my jacket on!!!
I'm just more limited sleeping as i can't lay on my left side now! It could have been worse, but i do hate falling.
Try to rest up Dale, do you have any time left to rest? I'm sorry you can't stand up , my problem at times too. I feel like i am leaning over.
tomorrow i am hoping once again that my daughter goes to school, she is now saying her workbooks have disappeared. Nice one if they did she hid them. I'm hoping to get her to agree to let me make her a therapy appointment. High hopes for this week. I am hoping to finally get to my lawyers to sign the agreement just that came with hiring him!!!!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Default here's hoping..

Dale is getting thru everything swimingly and Judy's dau went to school and I get an injection of Toradol today at my PM appt.!

I did too much on Sunday and am paying for it big time these last few days so I'm one to talk about "over-doing" it.

Today the arthritis in my fingers/hands and my feet are bothering me and my back whenever I bend over. I know it will all wear off/go away so I'm just sort of getting thru this period tho had to curtail my walking for day on Monday.

Ok take care and Judy hope the lawyer stuff is going well
Old 11-02-2011, 05:41 PM

I haven't done anything with the lawyer, but it is OK as jeff still deposits his checks in the joint account and i have access to that as always. I know how my days go by so fast as i stay in bed all morning and the afternoon fly's by with an errand or doctor's appointment and a walk and a short doggie walk if i am not up to taking Buddy on a longer one.
Becka never made it to school. I am once again hopeful that today will be the day. She did agree to speak to my counselor. I just have to make her an apt today. He is a great guy and I have known him for about 3 or 4 years now and i am thrilled that he will see her.
DrFriedman's (my volunteer night) was busy as usual last night. I didn't get home until after 2 once again. I would love to go back to sleep, but i am finally getting a refrigerator delivered today, of course it would have to be sometime in the morning. I currently have one with the freezer on top and it is the only thing i can get into. So i am getting one with the freezer on the bottom and the whole top is the fridge. I can't wait, i will no longer have to ask kids to find stuff in the fridge for me. I also have not been able to clean it out . That will be nice too, mine looks pretty bad inside right now.

My rib that i injured or broke feels especially bad in the morning when i wake up as I am free of pain meds. I feel like a junkie reaching for that bottle so i can move around freely. Kind of anyway.

WEll i'd better get ready for the fridge.
Dale , i am glad things are going ok for you. Maria, slow down!!!

Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-02-2011, 08:00 PM

Default re schedules

Judy,
We're on completely different schedules.. I'm up earlier than the crack of dawn and now while at dh's I make his lunch early the a.m. and pack it and then walk the dog (5a.m.today) and then have coffee, wait for dh to leave and start my day. Since I'm here there's much for me to do for him. Ironing, cleaning of all sorts and so forth, filing paperwork, you name it it needs to be done. Then again if I had my car here likely lots less would get done. Though I do what I can for him since he does enough for me. However that being said both of our backs are hurting when we bend from that furniture idiocy this past weekend. And the yardwork was physical for me..

Oh well as long as I recoup I'm good. Yesterday when I walked here I realized the walk I was doing here before which seemed challenging was a breeze because I walk farther and faster at home and regularly. I'll get back into the regularity when my feet stop hurting which I hope is soon. This daggone tendinitis is such a royal pain (and for once not in the butt)!

Glad to hear your dau agreed to see your therapist and hope he can help her. Volunteering until 2a.m. ~ Wow! Not sure I could do that. Do you get to move around or are you sitting or standing all the time? I really do hope once settled that I can get into something in a volunteer capacity and altho I'd like for it to be in healthcare I'd also really like to work in a shelter with animals (probably cats tho maybe small dog rescue).

take care and rest up girl!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:44 AM

I think i started staying up later (some nights i just can't) because i kind of wait up for the kids. I can wait up for my daughter to get home from work somewhere between 10:30 and 11:30. But on weekend nights with the 2 youngest i usually fall asleep waiting.
After my not very impressive walk i was feeling very uncomfortable today. I brought my son to the volkswagon dealership to pick up some parts he had ordered and i had to sit down. I have a really hard time standing in place , can't make it past 5 minutes if i even make it to that. I hope that goes away with time. It is very difficult to walk when in the standing straight up position. I know my head is still in the forward position to a certain extent, but i don't remember feeling it like this before this last surgery. This is such a pain in the spine! Can't really say butt either.
Well my new fridge is here now and i can actually see in it and get things , it is wonderful. I had an old one with the freezer on top and i could not see in the fridge, only a small part. I always had to ask the kids what was in there. This one is a french door fridge with the fridge on top . I'm so happy.

Still in pain from my trip on Saturday. I especially feel it in the morning when i wake up aS i am pain med free and full of pain. My knee still clicks too.
Can't wait to see if we wake up to rain, i hope i can at least get my little walk in. I really need to increase it, but need to feel better after it to do that, i would think.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 PM

Default re fridge

Funny topic here tho dh has I guess what you call a french door fridge as well. The top part is the fridge and the bottom is the freezer. I sometimes have trouble getting stuff out of it as I have to bend over and if my back hurts that's a pain. With my fridge it's the opposite w/freezer in top so I have to bend or squat to get to stuff at bottom shelves (crispers)so keep little in there.

I've forgotten what they call the kind of stoves/ovens that are built so that the oven is sort of level with my chest area and the stove top range is a seperate unit. These are in many of the beachside older apts. I can use this kind of oven because I don't have to bend over to pull stuff out but a regular oven is a pain for me so I only use the stove top/range mostly. dh has something called a NuWave convection oven and it's really fun to make dinner for 2 on as it's super easy to use and cooks nicely while not drying food out at all. You can see it on informercials. I want to get one. I've also seen these seperate range pieces (not sure what they're called) that heat up on contact with a special pan and they can be placed anywhere so could be put on any counter, taken on a trip .. whatever.

While most of the time I don't bother to cook for me alone sometimes when my back is worn out and I have to cook the standing in the Kitchen bothers my feet and sitting isn't any better if my back is acting up. I don't do all that well with standing in place either and shuffle a lot. My feet will start to hurt if I just stand in place and then after about 15 mins or so my low back will hurt so I have to keep moving. Makes some people nervous.. I think I actually do more bending/squatting getting the animals their food/meals tho!

My walks here have been good .. took 2 yesterday tho won't walk if it's raining here today. Guess I'll run up and down the stairs and walk around in the house for a half hour or so.. dh has a lot of "goodies" to eat in his house that I don't have at home so I've been "bad" and definately won't be losing 6 lbs before TG!!!

Good luck getting your walk in today Judy and enjoy your new fridge!

Last edited by Maria; 11-04-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:49 PM

I love the new fridge as i can get into the whole fridge and it has a much larger capacity than my old one. it has the door that opens in 2 and lots of space. for the freezer i would have to bend, but the kids mostly use the freezer for food when i am not cooking. Lots of the time. I just can't stand up too well in the kitchen. Once i do the dishes from the late nite before i am done standing. Once in a while i end up leaning into the sink., i know my younger daughter asks why i am doing that, i tell her my back hurts and ask if she wil finish. No way she says.
For the stove, i have to get someone's assistance. I can't put things in or out. I should have looked into a counter top type of convection oven . I have a larger toaster oven . I wasn't thinking, just became obsessed over the fridge. One problem solved. I didn't think of all these adjustments for back pain issues. One house we bought from a man with a huge humpback deformity. He had taller kitchen counters so there is no bending over, oh how i loved those . I didn't even realize how much i would have loved them now! I guess i had some type of low back pain even back then 25 years ago. Although some of mine , not sure how much is upper back pain too when walking and bending over.
I need to get Becka to therapy and me in the shower first so better go. My extra steroids are starting to put more weight on so i am not going to take them every day that is for sure. i worked so hard to loose a half a pound. Although at the nutritionist although i gained 4 pounds since July, i gained 7 in muscle so they don't even count that as weight gain. I don't know how the heck i did that while not being allowed to do anything!!!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-04-2011, 11:14 PM

Default re kitchen appliances that are helpful

Judy,
Google the NuWave oven. It's pretty amazing and probably with 2 you could do exactly what you do in an oven with your family. With dh and myself we only need one and it actually is great for cooking many things in and much better than the toaster oven type of thing and definately hugely better than a microwave which I only use to heat things up.

Those seperate range type of things I mentioned I cannot think of the name however they really look great too because supposedly they heat up only when the special pan that goes with them is on top and can be taken anywhere like on a trip and used in motel room or dorm room or wherever so it would be easy to place a few on the counter and just cook stove top stuff there is one needs more than 4 stove top ranges. Also they're not electric so one isn't using more electricity!

AROMA Gourmet Series Induction Cooktop
Model # AID-506
Internet # 202610720

Overall rating 5 / 5 Rating breakdown 1 review
5 stars14 stars03 stars02 stars01 star01 out of 1(100%)customers recommend this product.(1) Write a Review Share this product

$69.99 /EA-Each

$69.99 /EA-Each

Free Shipping

This item cannot be shipped to the following state(s): AK,HI

** it took me a while to find this and it's from Home Depot tho there are many others. You can check this out on Home Depot website and get all the info if interested!

I used to love to make lasagna but it's so heavy to put in the stove and take out or at least the kind I have now where I have to bend all the time and so is a turkey and things like that so I don't like to use the stove almost at all.

Doing all the dishes you have to for your family would probably tire me out too and I don't like dishwashers but if I had a big family I guess I'd want to use one. Still lots of bending there too!! Argghhh!!!

Anyway, glad you love your new fridge!

Last edited by Maria; 11-04-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM

thanks for the info Maria. It is amazing how many things are out do to back problems. My stove top is fine with 4 sometimes only 3 will light, but i can't manage cooking more items anyway. I can hardly keep track of 2 things. I had a dream about Thanksgiving last night. I have nothing to prepare a dinner. I used to have enough to make do, but when we moved back to Ca jeff was the last to leave Ga and he got rid of lots of important stuff. He gave away lots too. Things that were not important to him anyway.
WE always used to go to a cousin of jeff's for the big family Thanksgiving, i have not received an invite and i saw our niece get one on facebook so i guess we are now outed. Which is sad because it is still the kids cousins . There loss. Becka is heart broken , the others i have not mentioned it to yet.
Jeff had said previously oh if i know my cousins you will still get invited. WEll i guess he doesn't know them, it would be weird if he was there with his girlfriend. When did she become more family than my kids!!!

But wow, i can get the milk out of the fridge all alone!!! Life is good.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-07-2011, 12:16 AM

Maria's NuWave and Judy's new fridge - we'll have to rename this the cooking channel.

I'm back and boy, have I missed my chair. I discovered I really don't like traveling - used to be exciting - now it's packing, unpacking, uncomfortable beds and showers with sprays so hard, it actually hurts. LV wasn't too hard, especially when I was winning . If only I could travel with my laz-y-boy. Writing conference was difficult, sitting all day. I wisely wore my brace which helped tremendously. I learned I must rewrite my entire book but I did learn so much. I've been taking my 'cocktail' before bed and hopefully, a little rest this week (yeah right, will be playing catch up) I won't be the worse for wear.

OK, here's a helpful cooking hint for both of you and anyone else. I prefer ground turkey but ground beef works just as well. I buy 5 lbs or more at a time. Carmelize onions with a little garlic and any other herbs you might like. Add the meat and brown, then freeze in meal portion sizes. Then, dinner takes 1/2 hour to prepare. Ground meat can be used for so much;
tacos, meat sauce, meat pies, shepherds pie, casserole, lasagna, sloppy joe, chili, nachos... Pop it in the microwave for a quick defrost and have at it.
Instant rice or potatoes - add frozen vegis like peas to the water. Use leftover soup with the water for added flavor. Baked potatoes for dinner using all the leftovers as various toppings, perhaps with some melted cheese.

Judy, I'm very pleased your daughter agreed to see a therapist but I fear one session isn't going to make much difference. If you're going to be strong for one thing, it's insisting she gets the help necessary, even if Jeff has to drag her. She's hurting and both parents have to do what they have to do. I'm sending you some Jewish guilt to use on him if doesn't want to get involved. He got involved when it came to making her - he owes her.

Dale
Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 AM

the next step is me meeting with the therapist , i'll take it from what i learn there.
I am glad you are safely back home in no apparent distress that resting won't cure. I hope that is the way it is anyway. I think i need to take my bed everywhere for the breaks. my legs seem to swell when ever i am out for a while whether sitting (like tonight in class) or walking around. then to get them down to size i sit in my bed, also the most comfortable place for my back.
i did remember my pillow for class tonight. We weren't there very long and it started downpouring. When it let up our teacher told us to go , we were in the middle of taking our final. so the class is over, he said it would not count too much toward our grade. Good thing. I am coming down with something and didn't feel that great anyway. Glad to be home.

I still think that taking lots of vitamin C can stop or lessen the effects of a cold and i am hoping that is all this is and i can halt it!!! My son had one that has now gone on to some of us and it was a bad one. It lasted over 2 weeks also. Not looking forward to it.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 PM

Default swollen legs

Hi Judy,
Do your legs swell appreciably when on your feet for a certain amt. of time or while sitting in a dependant position? I have just a little bit of feet swelling but think it's along the normal lines (not while sitting but while on my feet for long time). I do have a mild case of lymphedema in my right leg which actually does seem to get a bit more swelling in a dependant position however I try to wear compression socks/or leggings quite a bit to help with this. It's not terribly noticable tho enough that someone might comment about the right leg near the ankle being somewhat swollen if I wear shorts.
Supposedly walking is good for lymphedema and sort of milks the lymph system in the lower extremities so hopefully my walks help this along. I sure wish this posterior tibial tendonitis would leave me alone so I could walk as much as I'm able. Walking really helps my back quite a bit and without my walks I feel stiff and have more back pain in the mornings.

I just remembered that your ribs were bothering you so hopefully you're feeling a bit better from this ?

Dale, I have long thought about going to writers conferences though have never felt I could sit long enough to warrent the cost. Maybe one day I should just "do it!" I've not worn a back brace in ages so don't know if that would help or not. I've tried many things to help my sitting along and while the ability has improved quite a bit it's still very short term in compared what the "normal" sitter can do (I now consider myself at least a "social sitter" like for dinners and such which is still really great for me).

Thanks for the good idea about quickie/easy tasty meals. I now use the NuWave for heating as much up as I can as it doesn't dry things out or sometimes do the number that the microwave does on the texture of the food. Tho I still use the microwave as needed.

Time for my walk now as it's warmed up enough for me to get out and enjoy it! Missed it yesterday because of the rain and doing errands earlier in the day before it started raining and I was quite cranky I think because I missed my walk!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Yes my legs do swell when I am at DrFriedman's at night. I do sit a lot of the time, but they still swell. yesterday i noticed after class too. Although i don't know what the dependent position is for sitting. Seems sitting in bed with my legs up is what helps bring the swelling down. I don't know what it is but may mention it to my primary care doc as i have an upcoming apt.

the rib area i fell on still hurts, but the percocet for my back takes most of the rib pain away.
Now i caught a cold just to make life a little more difficult. I am taking a lot of vitamin C although my older kids believe that does nothing. I used to swear by it, fortunately have not gotten sick in a long time so i have not tested it lately, but testing it is in progress now. Do you think vitamin C can head off a bad cold. My son had it first and took him over 2 weeks to clear it. I am supposed to call my pulmonologist at the first signs of a cold, but so far i don't feel it is necessary. Hope i dont have to eat my words.

I'm ready to go on a walk as well, but will be home as Maria is just warming up!!!

Dale i am ready to accept any and all food tips. Now i even have room to store some food in my new fridge. The old one was much smaller even though this one is not too big. I am so excited to not have to hurt or call someone to get into the fridge!!
Enjoy the sunshine , seems like more stormy weather is heading our way towards the end of the week.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Default re Vit C

Judy,
I've tried lots of Vit C before for colds without really great results and I tried Zicam nasal spray which I think did help me as long as the cold was just in the beggining stages tho once it progresses to a more rather full blown thing it seems to just need to run it's course although I'm sure there is something that can shorten the life of a cold. I just don't get them often enough to pay it that much mind. I really do dislike colds at any time of the year~ hope you feel better ASAP!!!

Oh dependant position for legs while sitting would just be letting them dangle down instead of putting them up like when reclining in recliner. I try to put my feet up when I sit tho I don't sit too much at home, usually just either recline on the sofa or make myself comfortable in bed if I need to rest tho I don't really rest that much during the day. I start my resting after dark basically if my feet and back allow!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm starting to see the digestive effects of a lot of vitamin C. I haven't had a cold in ages either. It is very annoying, Also making me go from being very hot to freezing.
I feel like i am in the full blown stage so i guess the C did not help too much, hate to tell my kids they were right. I'll wait to see if they ask!

I did have a good walk with my Buddy yesterday. He had already done everything in the morning so not so many needed stops. I just dragged him along a few times when he wanted to turn a different way or sniff too long.

Now i just need to get this back to cooperate to be able to go for longer walks.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-08-2011, 05:35 PM

Unfortunately, due to a complication in pregnancies, my feet are incapable of removing poisons and swell easily whenever taxed, even a little. I find zero gravity is great for giving them a chance to recoop but on my feet so much last week, I can't even put shoes on.

About the brace, I try not to use it but at the conference, sitting all day for three days, I wouldn't have been able to do it without the brace. When resuming my painting after my surgery, my t spine would begin to ache at about a 7, not to mention my tailbone. I shortened my days until I decided to try the brace and was able to sit and paint all day. I will add that when sitting at a table, I was able to repeatedly adjust my sitting position. When getting a seat at the back of the room, I couldn't wait for the hour to end.

Actually heard that zinc is best for shortening colds, flu - hope something works for you Judy. Feeling bad is miserable.

Dale
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 AM

Default back/walking

Ladies! today I walked to the mall here near dh's. It's nearly 2 miles away. Then I kept walking and looking at the various shops. I didn't really stop to get off my feet until I sat for one moment only in a dressing room. My feet were starting to bug me tho my back felt/feels normal! I may not feel that way tomorrow morning tho chances are my feet will be more problematic than my back from this walk (as they already are).

Dale, what kind of brace do you use if you don't mind me asking? When I sit too long I do get tailbone pain and pain into each buttock as tho I'm sitting on bones then the low back hurts as well which usually means ~ get up and move! I've never noted that wearing a brace really helped me tho must admit I haven't worn one since my 2nd failed back surgery in the early '90's.

Judy I think Zicam has zinc in it and I've heard as well that is good for a cold. Hope you start to feel better soon. The hot and cold stuff sounds like menopause!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 AM

Maria i was wondering and asked on our other posting email how many miles per day you walk?
Dale i was also wondering what type of brace you wore. A back or leg? I tried my back brace, one of 3, a few weeks ago to see if it helped with housework. I couldn't really tell and probably did not try it long enough.
I am in for the day and did not get any zinc or zycam. Hopefully i will feel better tomorrow or i will get some if i venture out. I canceled my volunteer work for this evening the doctors will have to do all the paperwork and scanning in. I just did not also want to get all the patients sick.
gotta go
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 AM

Default reply

Judy
I walk about 2 miles a day. Sometimes it's more like today tho I can tell you walking there and back wouldn't have bothered my feet tho stupidly walking in and out of stores/up and down for 2 plus hours has rendered my feet nearly useless as of tonight. Not a peep from my back. I'm usually stiff in the a.m. and cannot bend w/o making loud cranky ouchy noises which stop after a few hours up or a hot shower *usually.* My feet however may not recover for walking tomorrow. Dumdum me.

Glad to hear you didn't do the volunteer gig tonight. I'm sure you didn't feel well enough to go tho I especially agree w/not wanting to spread the cold virus. Hope you feel much better very soon!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:13 PM

I think i am going to measure my walking route.
I gave Becka some rules for schoolwork yesterday after talking with the therapist. I have to come down hard on her. But i no longer can give her the consequence of not going out with her friends because i can;t enforce it. She seems to go out as soon as i leave for even a walk. I would have to guard the doors all day to keep her in.
she is kicked out of school for failure to attend so i did tell her, she looked shocked! I don't know what she expected. She can return in 30 days. I am trying to get her to do all the work she has here so when she goes back , she will have completed 2 courses.Wish me luck.

I feel like my house is such a mess , as usual, but i bit more since i've caught this cold i have not done any cleaning. I never called my pulmonologist, but feel i am handling it OK. No coughing, just an annoying tickle in my throat when i was walking yesterday. I do enjoy the cooler weather.

It has been 2 weeks since i saw my spine doc and i really think i feel about the same . Same hard time trying to maintain a somewhat straight posture. Just more back shoulder blade pain and even up more towards my neck. Not good news there though. I will have to tell him this time. Feels like nerve pain and tingling and burning. I stopped taking the neurontin. Maybe it was too soon. I think of you Maria on it for years.

My reading prescription glasses fell apart last week. They have a spring in the frame and it broke, i went to lens crafters and they said the spring could not be fixed. then i decided to try to find a pair where they could use my lens. They were all the spring loaded kind. I left in frustration! Now i am using my progressive lenses which makes it so much harder to read. I wish i had joined Cosco. I may try Target to see if they have any interesting frames!

I'm already in the mood for a nap and it is only 11a.m.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Default re symptoms

Judy,
I agree you should probably tell your doctor/surgeon about your symptoms (upper spine/cervical?) and also perhaps you'd want to try the Neurontin again to see if that helps with the symptoms. The reason I went off it was because I was feeling terribly "stupid" and had bouts of pretty bad nausea that would go on till about one in the afternoon. I told my PM and OSS for 2 years and kept asking about going off my pain med and finally my OSS actually heard what I said and told me to decrease or stop the Neurontin.

I tapered off the Neurontin in about 2 months I think and felt so much better. The nausea went away, the stupidity cloud lifted and left my regular excuse for less than steller thinking~ yes I felt like a new woman and most of all the neuropathies were gone and probably had been for a while. I think my body was a bit toxic with the level of Neurontin I was ingesting and not needing. That's my theory at least.

Well the walking yesterday has done my back much good and even my feet aren't screaming in pain or even hardly painful. That's so wonderful! I do walk fast and have built up both speed and distance so I'm definately making progress here. Then again as you mentioned Judy the cooler weather makes this more possible as well as I cannot force myself to walk much in temps above low to mid 80's.

Hope your daughter will want to go back to school after being out a month. Does Becka have a lot of outside interests and things she enjoys doing (with friends and without?). Not that you can restrict her just wondering is she has interests that she pursues in lieu of going to school. I guess she's too young for a part time job ? Just thinking maybe there'd be something that would make her realize she'd want to pursue studies further to get a degree later on and become "something" like a Vet/doctor/lawyer/nurse/computer technician/dentist/teacher .. etc... you know what I mean!

Ok hope spines are doing Ok today and wishing all well~ Maria
Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 PM

I think the brace I wear is pretty standard, a firm back, stretch sides with velcro closing and two side panals that adjust individually. I also got a similar one is Hungary (forgot to pack it). It;s the same design but the back is more rigid. I only use it for all day stuff, like sitting for classes at the conference.

As for Neurontin - I hoped you tapered off gradually. I was on it for two years. It did resolve most if not all of my pain but when it affected my eyesight, enough already. Even now, when my pain level is up, it still is not bad enough to get me back on that stuff. But Judy, from what you're telling us, yes, I think you were premature in getting off of it. If you had no pain while on this drug then by all means, begin to see what life might be like without it but you are still in a considerable amount of pain, even while taking it. I think you're setting yourself up for just more painkillers. But this is your choice -

Dale
Old 11-10-2011, 03:34 AM

It is a new pain that i was trying to describe below my neck and over toward my shoulder kind of. It is new and may be from carrying my purse, my fall last week or who knows what. I'm tired of needing pain meds that is for sure.
I think i just stopped taking neurontin because i forgot to take it, not for making a conscience decision to stop!
And that may be because my cat knocked it off my nightstand. I think it is now on the bottom shelf or the floor. The floor is terribly hard for me to get to , well to get up from. Partly because of not being able to bend the toe without pain or afraid it will be painful, on the foot that was operated on.
But i am going down for the search!
Dale, i am glad that brace helps you . I tried one of mine and was not sure if it did or not so i don't use it. My back muscles have been cut so often and must be so weak, i did not want to weaken them further.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Default bending, squatting, etc

Ok now the worse thing I can do in the morning before I've warmed up is to have to bend forward tho have to feed the cats right away and often scoop litter so plenty big ouches going on there re my stiff back. Once I'm warmed up usually after a hot shower I seem to be much better with this.

Getting down on the floor on my knees to look for things I am finding harder to do esp things under the bed... need to warm up really good for that and look much later in the day!

A reacher/grabber is still a very useful thing to have as far as I'm concerned so that if I drop something I really need and I'm too sore to get it I don't have to bend or squat~ at least if it's in plain sight. I have one next to my bed as well as a cane for the few times I've had to use a cane in the middle of the night either due to my back being in terrible spasms or my feet killing me so much it's hard to walk. Again stiffness seems to really affect me after periods of rest at night. I don't have a cane here at dh's and I sleep more or less on the floor (sleeping bag/camping type equip) and find it fairly comfortable tho sometimes hard to get up from this position tho I manage.

I think I still have a few braces left over from yesteryear somewhere tho have not used one in quite some time. I weigh a tad more than I did at the time so mine used to be pretty small and now I don't think they'd quite fit. I may recheck one out just to have and see if it makes any diff w/sitting and/or yard work and such. Used to wear one when I vacumned but haven't felt I needed to for a pretty long time now.

Still never hurts to have these things handy "just in case" and none mentioned really take up any space so don't want to use that as an excuse for myself.

Time to get up from sitting and start getting busy around here (dh's). Lola was sick yesterday so spent most of the day worrying about her!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 PM

Now i haven't had that pain in a few days , the new one and the ribs are getting better, good thing as i have a mammogram tomorrow and they are right around the side of that area.
i found the neurontin under the table as i thought. Nice kitty, I think he goes on my night stand for the sole purpose of knocking things off it.
WAlking was pretty good yesterday although i did go solo. I took Buddy around the block first.
WAshing the dishes is a bad chore with having to slightly bend over as well as vacuuming. both of which i need to do right now., so i wonder if i should take pain meds in anticipation.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-11-2011, 04:15 PM

Default re pain med

Judy,
I take mine daily about the same time of day tho I don't usually go out and about w/o it. There are days I can't really tell if I "need" it to do things and days I can't do much w/o taking it so I can do things but my dose daily each a.m.

I would imagine you could do it either way tho if you tend to overdo you may not want to take the medicine first then overdo unless you take it multiple times daily and can take it again in 4-6 hours. Or take it and see how it goes and take 2nd dose if necessary afterwards. I don't really know how many times/day you take your pain meds and what you're on (percocet?) if it's that I probably would never get out of my apt.!

We just got back from SD co. and am now home w/my animals. dh is doing some work up here today and maybe tomorrow. He brought his 25lb cat tho I wanted him to take Leo w/him to the Vets (where he's working today) as having the 4 animals in my small apt. all day is a bit much plus he eats my cats food. Guess they will be back later today after work?

Ok got to run. Not feeling good GI wise tho can't remember if I took my prilosec or not. My stomach doesn't think so tho I could swear I did...have errands to run
Old 11-12-2011, 12:32 AM

Maria
Hi i hate when i can't remember if i took something or not. My ususal meds are in a container for the morning and bedtime , but there are others that are not used on a regular basis , only as needed. And my pain meds it absoultely annoys me when i am not sure, because then i just wait 4 hours so i don't overdose in case i have taken them.

I do take them about 3 times per day and some days that is not enough. I always need them for walking. Also for getting up and getting going.
Percocet takes one hour to have any effect and about after 3 1/2 hours starts wearing off,. I can always tell , could base a schedule on every 4 hours and never have to look at a clock.

Last night i was doing some research , although i don't remember where i started. But i came to flat back syndrome, i have all the symptoms. Difficult to stand up straight , which i have told my doc at every visit, my upper back gets very fatigued, my daughter just told me i always stand with my knees bent. Those are the main symptoms and i have them all. Not happy to have discovered that.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Default flat back syndrome

Judy,
I think this must be a fairly common finding as so many people have been fused for scoliosis in younger years and extensively with Harrington Rods as well as persons having multiple fusions. It doesn't make it any easier to realize that is what you probably have going on tho perhaps you can talk to your doctor about a PT program that will build the accessory musculature and also the PM re a pain medication that lasts longer and takes care of more of the pain allowing you to be more physically active and feel OK doing that (without going hog wild butt neked crazee/seriously overdoing)!

I used to really resent taking the pain medication I do tho honestly if I can function to the degree I am most of the time re my spine and am not seriously screwing up any major component of my body or end organ system I think I'm doing OK as I'm on my feet quite a bit and fairly active with rest as necessary.

Then again I've had no hardware implanted so I think I've done fairly minimal change to my body compared to many here so that probably makes for less structural changes as well and in my case at this point and time less pain.

Having said that I believe I'm on a much stronger pain medication than you even once daily so it could be I'd be really not a very happy camper w/o this medication and hardly do anything w/o it.

Hands are hurting while I type so have to go. Will have to look into parafin bath for hands as Dale and others have suggested. This weather we're having generally adds to some aches and pain somewhere in my bod. Yesterday my knees were stiff and feet hurt. Today it's the hands more so. The back is "hanging in" pretty well~ thanks to this dirt cheap standard golden oldie pain med that must make WC very happy to pay for compared to what I could be on. It works and that's good enough for me right now!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 AM

Hi Maria,
I will have a discussion with my surgeon on flat back syndrome. It is definitely it and not getting any better if today is an example. It is difficult to walk which is why i have not increased my distance, whatever it is. I think about 2 1/2 miles when ever i get out. Half up and half down hill. My concern with this is that my upper back is in a kyphotic state due to my neck issues and it seems to make it worse. I feel like i am leaning over forward more and my head already really wants to go in that direction. Not good.

well i'll see what the good doctor has to say about all this.

Let me know when you try the parrafin wax on your hands and how about your feet. Or is that not done?
I really get all kinds of pains in my right foot , not exactly in the same place though except the surgery site when i bend too much or too far.

well i was happy to get out for a walk today, i thought the weather would prevent it. I was planning on making that apple pie, but my daughter asked me to wait until tomorrow so she can be home to enjoy it. So i will. should have gone out and bought the apples today, but was too lazy!!!
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2010 lung surgery
2011 Foot surgery
Old 11-13-2011, 12:48 PM

Default falling forward sensation

Judy,
You may get better pain relief w/something stronger which would allow you to be able to feel like you could function better. That's what seemed to have happened to me and in this process by walking more and being more active I have become stronger. I don't have any of the postural concerns (I do have some mild ones I think which I tend to correct while walking I hope) you do going on and I think you may find walking with "walking sticks/poles" helpful (like w/cross country skiing) vs. cane/walker for support.

I've considered walking sticks/poles as I read that also exercises the upper body increasing the calories burned while walking and probably one can walk a shorter distance and burn more calories as upper body involved as well and maybe one can walk longer as body feels more supported. I don't really know as it's been a long time since I did any cross country type trekking and back then I was w/o any injuries at all (in my 20's).

Apple pie.. I can smell it now!! Yummmmmmy!!!!

BTW note to you and Dale that I'm having probs w/my aol and keep getting error message and bumped off there so haven't replied there.

Last edited by Maria; 11-13-2011 at 03:10 PM.